Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: TWISTED the aftermath

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

TWISTED the aftermath

Moved from the 'Was last night amazing for you' thread.. Lory x

I really enjoyed Twisted!

The venue was, IMO, very similar, only better, than Hammersmith.

It was the same size and shape but had carpet all around the edges, with lovely big round tables and chairs.

The fast music was OK, I had fun, but at 12o'clock, the mood changed.... the lights when down and the slower bluesy stuff came on and it was

It was really great to see Foxylady again (I've missed you) and lots of people down from the midlands and up from the South and Southwest!

And the best thing of all was, it only took me 20minutes to get there!
    Last edited by Lory; 21st-September-2008 at 03:59 PM.
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Re: Was last night amazing for you too?

Quote Originally Posted by Lory View Post
    I really enjoyed Twisted!

The venue was, IMO, very similar, only better, than Hammersmith.

It was the same size and shape but had carpet all around the edges, with lovely big round tables and chairs.

The fast music was OK, I had fun, but at 12o'clock, the mood changed.... the lights when down and the slower bluesy stuff came on and it was

It was really great to see Foxylady again (I've missed you) and lots of people down from the midlands and up from the South and Southwest!

And the best thing of all was, it only took me 20minutes to get there! :
    go on rub it in

I sooo needed this, I went to Derby Utopia Friday, the floor was fab, Mark was DJ'ing, lots of lovely dancers, and it was soooo bad for me I bought a bag of crisps and sat eating them to keep people away.

However tonight I went with the mind set, i'm going to love the music, so I can handbag dance, and chat the rest of the time..........narrrr, did, t need it I was back to my old self, my dancing was probably still cr&p but I didn't care, loads of laughs loads of fun.

The music was just fab, the lights and nets were wonderfull, and I particually like the way the mood changed at 12 and so did the lighting, nice touch.

I'm on such a high I just had to post before I went to bed yes have a look at the time, but it was well worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by fletch View Post
    ... The music was just fab, the lights and nets were wonderfull, and I particually like the way the mood changed at 12 and so did the lighting, nice touch...
    Lighting is, in general, a weakness at the Ceroc venues I visit. There is great scope for changes in ambience by varying the lighting to suit the mood of the music.

The Twisted Experience

A big YES to the concept of Twisted. The idea is spot on - I like it (maybe it reminds me in principle of my 'clubbing' days when they would do 'slowies' at the end - and you would go looking for a partner to smooch with).

A big 'thumbs up' to the venue - (last time I was there it was for a 70's do - wigs, outfits and great music - and one woman told me she used to go there for ballroom in the 1950's (or was it 1960's (she wasn't that old))) - and like Lory it was a 20 minute drive - 'cept we ended up on the wrong side of dual carriageway - and then had to vault over the railings. Anyway - the floor is great and table all round as was mentioned worked fine - and somehow much better than at other venues with similar round table chairs. Apparently they are doing News Year Eve there (interestingly I think Luton too (but not at the Vauxhall venue) at £40 a pop - I wonder where people would go - for me the Colisseum would win).

Dancers: it seemed 'everyone' was there: a fest of Forumites, plenty of hotshots and Westies, young and old, near and far: they came, they danced. I had loads of great dances - particularly the Bournemouth chick: that's what I like - fun, different - and just go for it. And as ever, DTS was fun - playing tag with JayJay and Maxine - and somehow at the end of the track I ended up with DTS. Nice to meet Easily Led and to see Fletch again (will have to get her hair updated in the strip) and BatGirl.

Music: this is where it gets more difficult. Let's take the first set (was that Silver Fox?). Overall, I really enjoyed it - and had a run of great dances in the first hour. One memorable dance was the track - and someone PLEASE tell me who it is - which has the riff of 'Werewolves of London' by Warren Zevon (which was also, as Kevin Rowland admits, used as the riff for one of the tracks on 'Don't Stand Me Down') - lyrics include 'Sweet Home Alabama' - you know the one I mean. I've heard it a few times before, and it was great to dance. (More please). Less impressive was the now obligatory 'Ragga-Hop'(my terminology) interlude - it just doesn't do it for me on the dance floor. Don't get me wrong, I do like some of the music - it just doesn't quite work. Still, it was a good time to sit out. The Motown-ie tracks were all crowd pleasers - maybe the envelope could have been stretched a bit here with some soul belters which were not chart hits.

So 12 o'clock - and the segue into 'Blues'. For some reason, the DJ was doing a talk over. The woman I was dancing with said something like "Play the *** music!!". There could have been a classier (musical based!) segue into it (think: Tainted Love 12" seg-into Where Did Our love Go?). Then - we're back to the old chesnut of 'Blues'. The set was not what it said on the tin - ie very little or no 'Blues'. I expect at least (say) 50% of the tracks to be Blues - but they weren't. Ok - this is just a label - still, I want tracks which are slower, which have breaks - and a blues-ey structure. These seemed a bit thin on the ground. There were some ok tracks - although in terms of 'non-Blues' Blues, I probably enjoy a typical Marc F. set at Berko. Overall I thought the tempo seemed to speed up towards 1am - and the crowd did thin out quite a bit. Despite my comments above, it was still a great night - just needs some adjustment to the Blues set imvho.

(I know I am probably in a minority of 1 in the forum on this subject - still - it is what I feel).

Overall a big thank you to all who organised it and were involved. It is good that new things are being tried out - and this should definitely be repeated.
    Last edited by JiveLad; 21st-September-2008 at 11:27 AM.

I have to agree that the Watford venue was fantastic and beautifully decorated and lit, the temperature was perfect, there was room on the dance floor and a selection of top notch dancers. There were even snacking facilities with spacious seating. The floor was good and even the toilets were roomy if a bit utilitarian (like an old school) - but with the most efficient hand dryers I have ever come across . However, in spite of all this I just could not get into the zone - perhaps mainly because, if I didn't like the music, there was no alternative area as at Southport or other two roomed events.

Nevertheless I was pleased to finally get to dance with some of those I missed out on at Southport - chiefly Vegetable (love your style ) and Gerry (I can't count the number of times I've been told I have a double) and to meet Jivelad for the first time (pointed out to me by the ever reliable Fletch ). Fletch was kind enough to ask us to sit with her table but as far as I saw she rarely if ever did any sitting! I also really enjoyed dancing with Steven 666 (who claims he doesn't like blues but I think he is just being modest), DTS of course, but only once .

Surprisingly as I went round the room looking for dancers I encountered one who only knew salsa and cha cha cha, and another who could only do the arm jive ! so overall a bit of a mixed night for me - but a fabulous venue!

P.S. How come my doubles always seem to have more fun than me!!!

Utopia (Twisted)

Had a fantastic evening the venue was brilliant and as usual at Utopia events lots of effort had gone into making it look special. Was so so about the first half of music but that is just my personal taste but come twelve o’clock there was no looking back. Had really fantastic dances with some of my favourite dancers and some strangers. So thanks to everyone I danced with. All in all loved the evening.

Dickie Davies' love-child Cruella's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fletch View Post
    The music was just fab, the lights and nets were wonderfull, and I particually like the way the mood changed at 12 and so did the lighting, nice touch.:
    I really couldn't get into the music much before 12 , (the worst track was the Relax/Play that funky music mix, it really jarred when the relax bit kicked in) it was quite a relief when the 'Twist' happened and we were with the usual Utopia style of music. Unfortunately by then I'd lost my motivation to dance, but still enjoyed listening to the fab music.
    I guess I've come to expect a certain feel/atmosphere with the Utopia events and it just felt odd to me to be at what felt like a typical London freestyle (before 12) when my head was telling me I was at Utopia.
    The venue is awesome and as usual, the lighting and red drapes gave it a lovely feel. Personally I'd like to have the full Utopia experience, from after the class til the end, rather than the mix of the 2 different experiences, but then I guess they couldn't call it Twisted
    Is the christmas party going to be a full fat Utopia or a mix again?
    Last edited by Cruella; 21st-September-2008 at 11:46 AM.

Utopia Twisted then....well lets start with the positive. The venue is fab, in almost every respect:

- Easy to navigate to.
    - Parking right next to the venue, and it only costs £1 for the whole night.
    - Nice decor and lighting.
    - Lovely, huge dance-floor which never felt really crowded (how high is that ceiling?)
    - Plenty of seating.
    - Fast bar service with free iced water and even free lime cordial in real glasses, yes, I did really say free . This was a total shock, I was fully expecting London prices.
    - It never seemed to get uncomfortably hot and there were plenty of powerful fans.
    - Cafe right next to the dance-floor which stayed open into the small hours serving hot and cold food, tea, coffee etc
    - Spacious toilets with super powerful hand-dryers (though the gents did have an unpleasant smell)

So everything about the venue itself could hardly have been better and there were plenty of very good dancers present so it should have been a great evening. Sadly for me it just didn't happen - in fact this was the worst night's dancing I personally have had for several months

Sooner or later a night like this is bound to come along, perhaps I was a little jaded after Southport, but whatever the reason the evening never took off for me which was hugely disappointing - especially because there were plenty of reasons (see above) why this should have been a great night.

It is hard to be completely objective when you have had such a disappointing evening, and more often than not when this sort of thing happens it is for reasons that are personal to you. Most people there seemed to have a perfectly good time. From a purely personal standpoint I have to say that I just wasn't inspired by the music. The first part seemed indistinguishable from any average free-style at any MJ event and the blues bit just wasn't bluesy or chilled enough for my taste. Sorry Rocky and Vince, I don't want this to sound like a massive winge, I know how difficult DJ'ing is and whatever you play you cannot hope to please everyone all of the time. All I can say is that the music played on this particular night for the most part just didn't float my boat.

My own dancing was lack-lustre in the extreme, I kept hoping something would inspire me but quite often found myself dancing to something I would rather have sat out with the inevitable disappointing outcome. In the end I more or less gave up and left half an hour before the end feeling that sadly I had just let most of my partners down.

So,this was for me a very disappointing night, but I am sure that I will bounce back (in a very smooth way of course ).

Quote Originally Posted by JiveLad View Post
    The Twisted Experience

One memorable dance was the track - and someone PLEASE tell me who it is - which has the riff of 'Werewolves of London' by Warren Zevon (which was also, as Kevin Rowland admits, used as the riff for one of the tracks on 'Don't Stand Me Down') - lyrics include 'Sweet Home Alabama' - you know the one I mean. I've heard it a few times before, and it was great to dance. (More please).
    I think it was Kid Rock 'All Summer Long' (or someone doing a version of it)

See (which includes some rather nice ladies dancing to it ).

Ok sport fans here we go Twisted last in Watford was a brilliant night absolutley storming night.

Bar prices were more than reasonable and I drunk tea for most of the night. The music was excellent with the change at midnight truly inspirational. The blues music was fantastic. I am afraid I am not one of these chaps who know any of the artists I just know what puts me in the zone and I was there all night last night.

It was such a good night that when it ended I was thinking NO cant be only been here for an hour or two.

With all the oh argh going on lately it was a breath of fresh air to just turn up and dance my little socks off all night long, loads of playing with tagging and mesing about on the floor, which is what it is all about for me, I was in the zone and had some magical dances with like minded people.

Do not miss the next one because this is special sport fans!!! Really really special.

Well done to all who were involved a memorable night in every way possible.

A big thanks to all the Forumites for making Batgirl feel very welcome, she had a blinding night as well.

Special thanks to Foxylady missed your smooth as chocolate style of dancing, sssoo good to dance with you again baby.
    Last edited by dave the scaffolder; 21st-September-2008 at 01:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JiveLad View Post
    I think it was Kid Rock 'All Summer Long' (or someone doing a version of it)

See (which includes some rather nice ladies dancing to it ).
    Like it. I'm sure I would enjoy dancing to it. If I classify it loosely as Country Rock would I be mistaken ?

Twisted...........had a really, really great evening. Like DTS said seemed like the evening just flew by. Had soulful dances, fun dances and brilliant dances not a bad one amongst them. When the mood changed at 12 it was pure heaven...........amazing ambience

Gradually meeting more and more forumites, pleased to make contact with Cruella and Sway, to meet DavidY and to see Stephen666 again thank you both for the dances .

Looking back at the weekend must say the two new venues for freestyles both Brent/Watford Town Halls are a brilliant find and hopefully the start of many more top evenings

...............Silverfox, we never got that dance

The only bad thing about Twisted was that by the time I had a dance with all of my favourites the bloody night was over.

I like to have a couple of blues dances with certain forumites and the night just left me wanting more, more and a bit more.

Long live the naughty busty babes I say.

Just wanted to say THANKS to all the forumites who made me feel so welcome as I was really nervous about meeting you all (DTS said you were all lovely and he's right). Especially nice to meet Fletch, Lory, Gorgeous Dances, Lost Leader, Easily Led, KevF, Vegetable, Mel & Tonic, Spice n Easy and so many others - the list is endless! And great to dance with Robd and Jive Lad again!

Had some amazing dances (and a few dubious ones due to my nerves ).

This was my first step in my blues journey and I LOVE IT - the combination of regualr freestyle to begin going into lovely blues was great and the venue was gorgeous.

Can't wait for the next one!

Thanks
    Rachel
    xx

Quote Originally Posted by Whitebeard View Post
    Like it. I'm sure I would enjoy dancing to it. If I classify it loosely as Country Rock would I be mistaken ?
    You could classify it like that.......in a loose kind of way. The lyrics are nostalgic in nature with reminisces from 1989: "We did not have no internet/oh boy I could not forget/the way the moonlight shone across her hair" - and sung with passion. Great track and good to dance to.

Interesting to read that the album from which it is lifted ('Rock 'n roll Jesus') (double platinum) - has some jazzy tracks - and includes the vocals of the golfer John Daley.......well, why not?

I think I will acquire the album and check it out. I had previously put Kid Rock in the white-trash-rap bucket of rock's rich tapestry - maybe I can review my prejudice. (And that is one of the big 'side' benefits of MJ - finding new music you would not otherwise have heard). So thx Mr. Silver Fox for playing it (if it was u).

Oh and the Dexy's track which also has the same riff is 'One of these things'.
    Last edited by JiveLad; 21st-September-2008 at 02:52 PM.

I had an OK time at Twisted. I'm just not sure it was entirely me.

Venue was great - floor, room temperature, location, parking, lighting, decor and easier to find than I thought it would be - and I had some great dances

But the faster music to me didn't stand out as anything different to a local MJ freestyle and I found some tracks really cheesy. It was fine once it twisted but, as Cruella said, by then I'd lost some sort of enthusiasm.

A normal Twickenham Utopia is normally chock full of great and outstanding tracks - this one seemed to be OK tracks with a few great ones. However, hats off to the Utopia team for actually putting themselves out there and trying something new. I know many people who had a great night.

In summary, I'm glad I went. I value my own judgement of events rather than second-hand but I'm not entirely sure it'll be something I'll go to again

Re: TWISTED the aftermath

Well some mixed reviews on last night but I have to say that I had a fabulous night at Twisted.. It was what it said on the tin and I, like many others loved the change in ambience at midnight (even tho my eyes took a while to adjust to night vision mode)... Venue was amazing.. loved the decor / nets.

Great to see so many of my favourite dancers there and to dance with ? Colin? again who I met at Ealing pre-champs.. Also great to get a new "find" in Richard from Portsmouth.. had some fab dances (and he fed me smarties at like 130 a.m. to keep me going!!) Also great to see so many people who had travelled there like myself.

Me and Donna decided to drink and dance (a first for me at a freestyle) but it was fun.. I don't think my dancing suffered too much and if anything I became more able to lose my inhibitions which was an eye opener for me and I thoroughly enjoyed it .. esp to the chill out tracks.

Thanx to Fletch for putting me and Donna up and for driving.. sorry that we are cr@p and fell asleep the minute we got in the car!! and also special mention to Steven666 for our chats in the pub and for letting me stroke his hair

On a final note.. I would definitely make the trip down again as I had a fabulous night..

As Helen said, full marks to the Utopia team for trying something new. I actually like the idea of a night which combines faster tracks with the bluesier stuff in the same room but I personally feel that whilst the concept is a good one, the detail needs some refinement.

My own preference would be for for say about an hour of the fast stuff, just to get everyone warmed up, followed by say half an hour of transitional tracks and then 3 hours of the bluesy tunes. The latter could perhaps be sub-divided into two sets with a distinct personality.

It was probably quite deliberate due to the fact that they were swapping quite frequently but I could not tell who was DJ'ing last night - Rocky and Vince seemed to play more or less the same sort of music. I think I would have preferred a degree of distinction between the two DJ's in terms of what they played, but that is just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Lost Leader View Post
    As Helen said, full marks to the Utopia team for trying something new. I actually like the idea of a night which combines faster tracks with the bluesier stuff in the same room but I personally feel that whilst the concept is a good one, the detail needs some refinement.

My own preference would be for for say about an hour of the fast stuff, just to get everyone warmed up, followed by say half an hour of transitional tracks and then 3 hours of the bluesy tunes. The latter could perhaps be sub-divided into two sets with a distinct personality.

It was probably quite deliberate due to the fact that they were swapping quite frequently but I could not tell who was DJ'ing last night - Rocky and Vince seemed to play more or less the same sort of music. I think I would have preferred a degree of distinction between the two DJ's in terms of what they played, but that is just my opinion.
    That's an interesting suggestion - and one I would endorse. Someone suggested to me last night that they thought it would have been better if they had a few slower tracks in the first half.....so it was not so much of a 'jolt'.

Quote Originally Posted by dave the scaffolder View Post
    The only bad thing about Twisted was that by the time I had a dance with all of my favourites the bloody night was over.

I like to have a couple of blues dances with certain forumites and the night just left me wanting more, more and a bit more.

Long live the naughty busty babes I say.
    DTS - I was looking forward to meeting you - I'll have to ask JayJay, Maxine, to introduce us next time.

Yes, as a newcomer to the scene, most definately the BEST Ceroc night I've had! It was simply amazing!!! Names don't mean a lot to me at the moment and I don't know most of the forumites here, but I had fabulous dances all night long with guys who aren't regulars at my venue (Berko or Chesham). Everyone seemed to be friendly .... out to party!!

The venue had good sized tables and plenty of chairs .... it was not difficult to find a place to sit if one wanted to. Drinks reasonably priced, didn't try the food though. Music excellent - they did play (I thought) different genres to try to cater for the public. It took me a good hour to get there however, this will not put me off the next Twisted event!!

I'm still buzzing ........

Bibi

Thread Information