Thread: Post Amir Giles workshop/sore feet!

Post Amir Giles workshop/sore feet!

Well here I am having tea and toast in the wee small hours of the morning , tired but happy after a great day at the Amir Giles workshop and party night in Edinburgh. Amir was a really good teacher, particularly with his spinning tips and boy was he on form when it came to laughs. His patter was very funny especially all the one liners about "looking " at your partner.
    "I'll just look coyly"
    "Oh no it's too much; I have to look away..." etc etc!
    I was practising that all night and saying those words out loud as I did it and had most of my dance partners in stitches all night , too (or was that my dancing? :sorry )
    I found the tips about what to do with my left arm particularly useful for improving my style but I perhaps overdid it and had it extended too much for I whacked Heather not once but twice in the same dance. Sorry Heather!
    I had an amazing blues dance with Rob at the party. We really connected and Rob was definitely following the "less is more " maxim we had learned at the workshop earlier in the day...don't know if Rob is on the forum but it is a dance I will treasure... Cheers, mate!
    Wonderful teaching, great fun, fab dancing , great company (you all know who you are!)
    Oh and thanks for the massage part of the day, Amir. Now if you could just arrange for someone now at 1.30 a.m to massage my feet that would be great...

Well I didn't manage the workshop, but I had a very nice evening:

- simply the best example of timing and improvisation I've seen on a jive dance floor (Amir's cabaret)
    - being enchanted by lovely ladies for two hours of freestyle

(sorry I couldn't last till the end - and sorry that's only touching the surface: so many other lovely details I haven't mentioned . . .)

- then home for a long, long hot shower and feet up on the sofa for Fred & Ginger's Swing Time* and a cup of cocoa!

(*one of their wittiest movies and only a fiver from Amazon btw!)

Commercial Operator
    well done Lindsay, for bringing Amir and Taz to Edinburgh. Didn't learn a lot of new moves (I always forget most new moves taught at workshops anyway ),....but boy! did I learn how to dance the ones I already know with loads of style. The "All That Jazz" class was great fun. Had a ball on the decks, and as usual ended up not playing loads of things that I had intended to ..........Was completely knackered by the time I'd taken down all my gear and packed it away in the car.....but still managed two capuccinos and a panini in Favorit before heading home ........Overall..a really great day.

PS will post playlist in the DJ booth when I've recovered

So Little!!! For So Much!!!!!

Dont think i have ever spent so little for so much, incredible value and super workshop followed by a super dance night. I only hope that Boogienights didn't loose money through organising it all.

Another Amir & Taz workshop planned perhaps in January (I hope)
    and i am sure it will be another huge success. Hopefully followed by another Dance Night. Hey Dance Demon (and others) that was great music you all managed to play. Maybe it was just because most of us were on a buzz after the workshop we were up for it big time!!!

As Forte said, Amir explained many things with great flair and with added fun. The style points were explained so brilliantly that i am sure just about everybody understood what he was saying and meaning. I didn't find any of the points verging on rocket science (great points rarely are) which suggests and proves that much more could be taught during intermediate classes that would advance the general standard of dancing

Omnipotent Moderator Tiggerbabe's Avatar

Re: So Little!!! For So Much!!!!!

Originally posted by michael
    I didn't find any of the points verging on rocket science (great points rarely are) which suggests and proves that much more could be taught during intermediate classes that would advance the general standard of dancing
    Fair point Michael, but you have to remember that everyone who attended was past the beginner/intemediate stage and so time did not need to be spent explaining moves. It will also be interesting to see how long the subtle changes in leading/following last.
    Re the price, there were almost 3 times the numbers of people you would normally get at a workshop (which would mean that you can reduce the cost as the overheads are still similar) but I do hope, like you, that Lindsay hasn't lost money putting this event together.

I thought Amir's teaching style was great and was thorougly entertained the whole day. I'm just off to practice those spinning exercises
    Taz was fantastic, what a beautiful dancer.
    The cabaret they did was excellent - as was the fun class at the beginning of the party.
    I thought it said a lot that they stayed until the end of the night and danced with so many different people.
    I did pluck up the courage to ask Amir to dance and it was worth all of the agonising as to whether I should or shouldn't.

Loved the Blues Sister's routine too and Steve and Hayley's - especially as Hayley must have been shattered (she had just landed at Prestwick about 6pm).

Had a great time at night - although a certain young man from Aberdeen owes me at least 2 or 3 dances now for the Beach Ballroom - where were you hiding Neil?

Would definitely advise anyone who can get to one of Amir's workshops to do so.
    "If you rebel against high heels, take care to do so in a very smart hat.'' George Bernard Shaw

Quote from Sheena:Fair point Michael, but you have to remember that everyone who attended was past the beginner/intemediate stage and so time did not need to be spent explaining moves.

I take it you mean past the beginner stage and know most of the beginner moves. Yes i agree it does save time and perhaps some time was saved by not explaining the basic beginner moves. That said i myself felt that he explained what is needed to move beyond what i would call beginner level dancing (up to six weeks dancing) and much of what he says could easily be taught in Intermediate classes to allow the improvers/intermediates (like me) to take the information and improve to the next level.

I am very pleased to hear that Franck is intending to address some of the issues that is having a negative impact on Ceroc Classes particularly in Glasgow. Ceroc has done well to bring to lots of people the joys of dancing modern jive. It has for very good reasons concentrated on beginners and will certainly have to keep concentrating on that aspect. At this stage of development or evolving Franck has recognised that change may be required to ensure that the quality of dancers continues to increase and those that have become good dancers or have simply being dancing for a number of years stay with him rather than get bored and leave.

Those that are mad keen learners like me will learn anyway so my type dont really matter too much. It is the more relaxed group that have passed through the beginner and sitting at intermediate level (whatever level thats meant to be?) that need given a boost to their dancing. Amirs workshop i think achieved that and if we could get some of that and David and Lilly pointers also, it would bring the standard of dancing up another level.

Those experienced dancers that are feeling down somewhat at Glasgow for instance, should bear in mind what Franck and others like Leroc have done over the last few years. The workshops and dances are all improvements but Franck is only one man and cannot perform miracles (Yet) The next stage is on its way as Franck has hinted on another post and i doubt if anyone will be disappointed

Re: Re: So Little!!! For So Much!!!!!

Originally posted by Sheena
    I did pluck up the courage to ask Amir to dance and it was worth all of the agonising as to whether I should or shouldn't.
    Me Too!

I loved the musicality.....felt like going back to a masterclass/area class like I used to when I regularly danced classical ballet. All the "small things" that make a dance a performance.

Incredibly inspiring.....still reeling.

AMIR - come back soon and show us some more.......

The Forum Legend

Re: Re: So Little!!! For So Much!!!!!

Originally posted by Sheena
    Me three

Steve

Re: Re: Re: So Little!!! For So Much!!!!!

Originally posted by TheTramp
    Me three

Steve
    Who lead? And why did I miss it? was it in the last hour? I left just before midnight.

I loved Amir's story about the Argentinian teacher who will only let new male dance students dance with other men for six months so that they can learn what it is like to follow...and then they are so "grateful" to get a female partner. I also loved his story about the old guy with the three slow moves but he just puts a little perfume on his chest and shoulder "where her head will be" and dances those moves all night...so many one liners, Amir...so many stories...I loved the dancing but you were such great fun, too!

Another fantastically organised day Lindsay. What a fabulous workshop... dont think I have ever taken so much away from an event . Amir's presentation was clear and inspiring. Everything he taught was applicable to dance no matter what angle you were coming from. Well done and thanks.
    What a party night... hardly stopped for a moment. The music was fabulous. Dance Demon did us all proud with a superb set and we are already trying to get every song on his play list. Would love a copy of Gilbert's set too.
    The showcases were great and I thought the Blues Sisters were soooooo cool! Well done girls.

Once again well done Lindsay and thanks.

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries
    Ive been to some good workshops before but Amirs is the best so far - great teacher, great class. I got a lot from it, as did the majority of the class according to comments i heard.

Im not sure i agree that Ceroc need to change their format. Some people will always be happy to just social dance and if Ceroc ever goes to over the top on the intricacies these people may be dissillusioned - workshop environments are probably the best place for this sort of thing.

Well done Haley for flying up purely for a showcase. Dedicated or what?
    Originally posted by Forte
    "I'll just look coyly"
    I thought it was especially funny when i danced with you and you gave a running commentary "look im being coy " , " wheres my partner, oh ive found him " ... etc

The Forum Legend
    Originally posted by Dreadful Scathe
    Well done Haley for flying up purely for a showcase. Dedicated or what?
    Well. I think that Haley is a comet, DS??

And while I'd agree that she is a total star. It's Hayley

And I have it on good authority, that she actually flew up just to see you.....

Steve

PS. Thanks to you and Fi for your generous loaning of your shower.

PPS. Thanks to Hayley, who was absolutely fantastic on Saturday night (any errors in the cabaret were totally down to me (as always)).

...where to start...?!?! What a fabby day & night!!!
    Thank you so much Amir & Taz & Lindsey for organising this superb event! Fantastic!!!
    Well worth (getting up 5am...) making my way down from Aberdeen to attend this brilliant and excellent fun and most inspiring workshop! So many things to practise on and so many great ideas!
    Wonderful cabaret performances and so many amazing dances and the music was just brilliant!
    Thank's everyone for making this a memorable and fun day and thank you so much to the Lovely Heather for giving me a lift and 5 star accommodation (and thank you Fi_...!)

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries
    Originally posted by TheTramp
    Well. I think that Haley is a comet, DS??
    She certainly was, whats your point ?

Y a single letter is so important?

Great class

I also had a great weekend - workshop was entertaining and constructive, and great party with lots of my favourite dancers from across Scotland. Can't wait for Amir to come back to Scotland!

Camber next weekend, and then Beach Ballroom, so definitely a great dance month for me!!

Re: Great class

Originally posted by Graham
    Camber next weekend, and then Beach Ballroom, so definitely a great dance month for me!!
    Okay, that's it! I've had enough! I'm moving to Scotland..... you seem to have all the fun!

Commercial Operator

Talking

Thanks for the great feedback, I know Amir will get round to posting soon. Thanks to y'all for coming along, it was an awesome day, just got round to watching the video footage last night!

Photos and workshop notes are on the website

Commercial Operator

Thankyou! (and workshop notes)

Thank you all for your wonderful hospitality and reception in Scotland! Tas and I had an amazing time, and very much look forward to coming back... We rarely get to teach such a warm and open bunch of people, and the level of concentration even after 6 hours of learning astounded me!

Thankyou also to everyone that danced with me at the party. I have to say my stamina didn't quite match yours, and I was probably, for lack of vocab, kind of crap by that stage! But never mind, I'm sure we'll meet again under more energetic circumstances.

In the mean time, if you would like to go over anything you learned at the workshop, Lindsay has kindly made some space on her website (www.boogienights.net) for some notes!

Organising so many people, venues, websites, emails etc is no small task, so a big round of applause goes to Lindsay for making it all happen. (The one technical hitch with the mic was my own - the battery had run out.)

If you are ever down in London check out www.fusiondance.co.uk for info on what I'm up to down there. Otherwise, I very much look forward to seeing you all again next year some time!

xxx

Amir

Daphne
    Hear hear Amir.

Thanks Boogienights for an inspiring weekend. Wish I had booked a private lesson on Sunday

Workshop notes are extremely useful Off to practice my posture!

Confirmed Forum Plant Siobhan (Forum Plant)'s Avatar
    I am stil on a high from Sat, a thoroughly fabulous day, I am totally inspired again (was losing it for a bit). Actually might try a bit of tango following some of Amir's tips about different styles. Apart from the teaching I was very impressed by the organisation of the day and eve, and the music at night was 1st class. The video was a nice touch and got me in the mood when I came in (with a serious hangover I hasten to add)

Thread Information