Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Who's going where?" threads...

"Who's going where?" threads...

Moderator's note: these thread are not an excuse for organisers (or their crew) to plug their events. Any such post we see or is reported to us will be removed.
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

Cool Re: Who's going where? Weekend 19th/20th/21st September 2008

Quote Originally Posted by ducasi View Post
    Moderator's note: these thread are not an excuse for organisers (or their crew) to plug their events. Any such post we see or is reported to us will be removed.
    Without wishing to be inflammatory or obtuse, may I ask for some clarification on the difference between adding to this list, and plugging an event on this list (maybe a separate thread)? It's just that it seems important, and your post doesn't really give as much as a hint

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Re: Who's going where? Weekend 19th/20th/21st September 2008

Quote Originally Posted by StokeBloke View Post
    Without wishing to be inflammatory or obtuse, may I ask for some clarification on the difference between adding to this list, and plugging an event on this list (maybe a separate thread)? It's just that it seems important, and your post doesn't really give as much as a hint
    There's no difference between the way these threads are treated, and the way other parts of the forum are treated.

The difference is in who promotes / plugs / mentions an event: as the rules say:
    3. You may not post adverts on the forum. Events & classes can be discussed and links supplied as a reply to a specific request, provided the requests are not artificially manufactured by organisers or friends. Any 'reviews' posted by organisers or crew will also be deemed to be advertising and removed at the discretion of the Ceroc Scotland Forum team.
    Last edited by David Bailey; 12th-September-2008 at 09:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by David Bailey View Post
    There's no difference between the way these threads are treated, and the way other parts of the forum are treated.

The difference is in who promotes / plugs / mentions an event: as the rules say:
    3. You may not post adverts on the forum. Events & classes can be discussed and links supplied as a reply to a specific request, provided the requests are not artificially manufactured by organisers or friends. Any 'reviews' posted by organisers or crew will also be deemed to be advertising and removed at the discretion of the Ceroc Scotland Forum team.
    Really ? I would have thought that an organiser (or his crew, friends etc) could mention an event on this thread, in the usual format, without any issue. A plug would be adding 'best freestyle in the country, great music with DJ SuperCool, free water, here's the link and phone number, etc'. No ?

They will be deleting all posts added by crew (of any kind) which add to the list i already had my post removed this week and had a discussion with franck about it and even though it was just a short post about two freestyles i was thinking of attending they had to remove it otherswise the mods would have been accused of being biased
    So long as they do it fairly i have no problem with it although personally i cant see any problem with crew adding to the list so long as its not advertising ie just putting day-organiser -venue
    Sadly though as you can see this week the list will be a lot shorter due to the fact i would think that most of us on here crew in some way shape or form

3. You may not post adverts on the forum. Events & classes can be discussed and links supplied as a reply to a specific request, provided the requests are not artificially manufactured by organisers or friends. Any 'reviews' posted by organisers or crew will also be deemed to be advertising and removed at the discretion of the Ceroc Scotland Forum team.[/quote][/quote]

As my message was not reviewing advertising or artificially manufactured but just listing two events that i was thinking of attending in the correct format this rule seems a bit arbitrary

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Caro View Post
    Really ? I would have thought that an organiser (or his crew, friends etc) could mention an event on this thread, in the usual format, without any issue. A plug would be adding 'best freestyle in the country, great music with DJ SuperCool, free water, here's the link and phone number, etc'. No ?
    No. Mentioning an event is advertising it, no matter whether you talk it up or not.

Them's the rules.

Quote Originally Posted by martingold View Post
    As my message was not reviewing advertising or artificially manufactured but just listing two events that i was thinking of attending in the correct format this rule seems a bit arbitrary
    Yeah, well we probably just don't like you then

No. Mentioning an event is advertising it, no matter whether you talk it up or not.
    hmmm. It must be hard to be completely fair and control organisers, crew and friends, no ? I mean, how do you know if someone's part of the crew somewhere or a close friend of the organiser or of one of the crew trying to do a favour ?
    It seems very restrictive. IMO, as long as the only thing posted is day - event - location, that may still be advertising, but one that I wouldn't mind too much. After all you could argue that they are just answering the question asked by the thread author, i.e. 'where are you thinking of going'.
    Are there a lot of events deleted that way ? Seems a pity.

But hey that's just my opinion as a punter

Blog Entries

hmmm. It must be hard to be completely fair and control organisers, crew and friends, no ? I mean, how do you know if someone's part of the crew somewhere or a close friend of the organiser or of one of the crew trying to do a favour ?
    We rely on you being honest.

I'm sure none of the upstanding and highly-principled members of this forum would ever try to put in a sneaky advert.

Aha, hahahahahahhaha... sorry, couldn't help myself there.

The Dashing Moderator

But there has been precedent set in the past where a mention by an event organiser of their own event (without the sort of plug that Caro describes) has been explicitly declared OK by a moderator.

Has this changed now?
    Love dance, will travel

Quote Originally Posted by DavidY View Post
    But there has been precedent set in the past where a mention by an event organiser of their own event (without the sort of plug that Caro describes) has been explicitly declared OK by a moderator.
    Good find David. As I said, as a punter and an active forumite, I do mind organisers posting plugs for their events, but I have nothing against them mentioning their event in the 'who's going where' poll in the usual format. In fact I think it is helpful.

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

I remember that. It was a charity event if that makes any difference.

From an Com Op point of view, putting an event in the who is going where will not generate 100's or even 10's of people at the door, however I do think people find it useful to see what is going on.

Personally, as Caro says, as long as it is done without plugs then I can't see why not, however, I can imagine it would become a headache for the mods if people did start abusing it.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Bartholomew View Post
    I remember that. It was a charity event if that makes any difference.
    It usually does. And DavidY's too bleedin' clever for his own good, if he keeps this up I'm going to volunteer him to be a moderator as punishment

From an Com Op point of view, putting an event in the who is going where will not generate 100's or even 10's of people at the door, however I do think people find it useful to see what is going on.
    The thing is, these threads aren't "What's on where" directory services, they're "Who's going where" - to enable forumites to meet up with each other. God knows why...

There are plenty of other directory services - Minnie's excellent Lyndaslist for example - to tell you what's on.

Personally, as Caro says, as long as it is done without plugs then I can't see why not,
    Coz it's against the rules.

however, I can imagine it would become a headache for the mods if people did start abusing it.
    No kidding - which people do, all the flippin' time

Hmmm.... I've moved this discussion to a separate thread, it's not really relevant to this weekend's events.
    Last edited by David Bailey; 19th-September-2008 at 02:15 PM.

Omnipresent Administrator Franck's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I do mind organisers posting plugs for their events, but I have nothing against them mentioning their event in the 'who's going where' poll in the usual format.
    The purpose of the 'Who's going where threads' was always to show where other dancers were going, not a notice board of everything going on in the UK. As it is, space is limited, and whilst for a while we allowed it to happen, recently it spiralled out of control, with ever more organisers only using that thread to plug their event and those events remaining 'vote free' on the poll.

To simplify Lory's (and occasionally David Bailey's ) job, the 'no advertising' rule is now enforced across the board.
    Franck.

There's an A.P.P. for that!

Blog Entries

Re: "Who's going where?" threads...

Heee! I've moved one of Franck's posts!

Quote Originally Posted by Franck View Post
    The purpose of the 'Who's going where threads' was always to show where other dancers were going, not a notice board of everything going on in the UK. As it is, space is limited, and whilst for a while we allowed it to happen, recently it spiralled out of control, with ever more organisers only using that thread to plug their event and those events remaining 'vote free' on the poll.

To simplify Lory's (and occasionally David Bailey's ) job, the 'no advertising' rule is now enforced across the board.
    Fair enough, thanks for the explanation, obviously we don't really see how often the thread is abused.

You'd think that the organisers who mentioned their events would at least vote on it morons.

Ohhhh'er Didn't realize that was the sole purpose.

My apologies, Although we do get a fair number of forumnites trying out venues in Soton, they never seem to vote. Must be uncool or something So I'll cease the Soton entries, save me some web site browsing anyway.

ALthough i accept the reasons behind this and wouldnt want to break the rules or cause any trouble i do feel it seems a bit draconion to people like me who will admit loyalty to the franchise i crew for but only ever used the whos going where list as a means of telling friends where i was going and not advertising events i didnt attend if you look back through the previous weeks you will see this is true

From a punter's perspective: what I really want from the 'What's on thread':

1. The ability to see what's on in my local area at the weekend: including times, locations and the DJs

2. Interesting (but not essential) is to see which forumites are going where. Interesting 'cos I will maybe look out for them for a chat (and dance maybe). 'Not essential' 'cos it won't influence where I go.

So, an important aspect of item 1. is the ability to see the geographic location of the events. My start point is usually (the wonderful) Lynda's List - and fortunately for me this covers my area: the south of England.

The 'What's on thread' is (or was) a quick way to see the events - and I had been using it as a quick way instead of starting Lynda's List.

What I actually want is moving towards a location based service: a simple example of what I desire is the map on Modern Jive - Ceroc, Le Roc, etc. - Videos, DVDs, Classes, Events, Workshops, Holidays, Weekends - which shows all the classes during the week, by area with all the details. You can just point and click on an area - and move about to see the classes. My ideal - would be to have that - for weekend events.

So - what I am asking for is to integrate:
    • Lynda's List
    • A new 'northern Lynda's list
    • The geographic mapping capabilities of modernjive.com

And ideally, this would be accessed through a link on the forum. Of course, this is a lot of work(?) however, this is the 21st century and with all the geeks and nerds on the forum, you'd think they could put their minds to it.

Once this is done, there would be a simple data entry form: location, postcode, times, event etc......and this would then automatically appear on the map.

I know this is just a 'forum' - but it would be of great value - and this is the 21st century. Maybe have a word with John Sweeney - to see how the map idea can be reused?

Hidesously out of date, but I did try andy do a colour coded class map a while back -- see AfterFive :: Modern Jive Information

These days you can do an even simpler version -- like this salsa one -- that only needs minimal computer skills, e.g. http://www.davidsugarman.co.uk/PartyMap.kml - Google Maps

Cheers,
    SpinDr

Thread Information