Thread: Beginner look for DVD recommendations or advice..?

Beginner look for DVD recommendations or advice..?

I have had a grand total of FOUR (woo hoo!!) lessons so far, - never done any dance before.

I have always had reasonably rhythm & good co-ordination & consequently done well in sports.

Thanks to the the format of the classes, I feel I am quickly getting to grips with the beginners moves that I have so far learnt & even stringing together freestyle with the moves i've learnt in no particular order, - however, I am a little conscious of my footwork. I want to be able to *dance*, - I dont just want to *step/plod* around, leading the follow into different positions.

I was chatting to a bloke on Tuesday, he told me he's been going three years, but you wouldn't think that to watch him dance (I dont want to sound like i'm having a dig, he was a lovely guy to chat to). Sure he knew lots of steps, but he didnt actually look like he was *dancing* if you see what I'm saying?

I was also watching a couple of the male instructors, - wow - unbelievable. Some couples you look at, and it's the follow doing most of the 'work'... - but with the instructors, - both parties are involved and going bananas - dancing with style & flare.

I appreciate that i've got to take one step at a time, - and that is what i'm doing, - on the advice of this forum I am *trying* to learn to be able to perform the handful of moves that I do know, well; (rather than aiming to know hundreds of moves, only to execute them poorly). But i would like to start thinking about movement, footwork, etc. - I dont want to be a 'plodder'.

Can someone give me some tips, or perhaps recommend a DVD for me to watch and learn from, which might give me some practice exercise or something? Or is-a/are workshop(s) the best way forward? both?

PS
    I've been reading around these forums, - there is so many useful past threads here full of really interesting information & advice from experienced dancers, - it's great. It's nice to hear of other people going through the same doubts and asking similar questions that i've asked myself, and reading the abundance helpful replies.

Re: Beginner look for DVD recommendations or advice..?

Welcome to you Phil.

My recommendation for DVDs would be:

1. I think Ceroc do a beginner DVD - which may be free(ish?) - and that provides a foundation to begin with.

2. The 'bible' of Modern Jive is provided by a DVD from last year by 'The Modern jive Toolkit' - created by John Sweeney. This is very good indeed imho. Not just moves, but technique.....

See Modern Jive - Ceroc, LeRoc, etc. - Videos, Beginner, Intermediate, Advanced, Close, Aerials, Double Trouble, Smooth Jive

There are other DVDs there - and I have 2 of the ones from Australia - which are quite good.

My best advice would be to go as often as you can - which will accelerate your progress - and get help from others as often as you can.

Brill - looks good!

Very helpful reply & link, and thanks for the welcome!

Hi there,
    Why not take the time to introduce yourself properly in the introductions thread?

If we know where you dance (even vaguely - from Drathzel's reply are you in NI?) we can introduce ourselves properly online and on the dancefloor at events

Glad to know you want to get better so soon, and for technique, I can (and I think the entire forum will agree) recommend our very own Franck - his workshops are superb

Cheers Whitetiger

Welcome to the forum, Phil. Glad to hear you've got the bug. It's VERY addictive!

If you really want to improve your technique, I would strongly suggest concentrating initially on your lead. When I started dancing (way back in the dim and distant past!) I went on a beginners' workshop and found it to be really helpful. It's so important to understand early on how to move your partner around the room without pulling her arms out of place or getting yourselves tied up in knots! Simple things, like knowing when to keep hold and when to provide a fingertip lead; when to pull forward, when to push back; how much pressure you need to apply to get your partner to move where you want; understanding where your weight needs to be in relation to the move, etc... These are all things you pick up with experience, but building the foundations when you start dancing will allow you grasp the basics much quicker.

Make sure you do the beginners' workshops before moving on to either beginner plus or intermediate workshops. You may find that you know the moves, but having the opportunity to ask questions about connection and lead will really help. DVDs are good to learn from, but I would recommend them only in addition to proper lessons, until you get to the stage where you can fully understand the various parts of each move and how they all link together. It's also helpful to partner up with somebody and dance the moves over and over with them. That way you both get a better understanding of how it all works, without having to learn it 10 different ways with 10 different people, because everyone dances a little differently.

Most of all, just enojy yourself and start planning your first weekender

Hello, - okay thanks, I will check out the introductions thread whitetiger1518 - I'm in the UK, - Surrey.

Thank-you very much for your advice Filthy Monkey. I was actually complimented on my lead on Tuesday I was told I had a gentle lead by someone who said she hates it when she gets 'turfed' around by some men. Of course its nice to get encouragement, but I do appreciate I have lots to learn and will do as you suggest, and keep that in mind.

I was wondering about which workshops to do actually, so thanks for your comments on that, - by the time I have a Sunday free (due to work and holiday) I would have probably had about 10 lessons, - so was wondering whether to skip ahead to the 'plus' or not.

Yes, the DVDs were intended to be a supplement to lessons, - I do like to 'mull over' what i've learnt in my head, and DVDs can provide a good reference between classes I think.

First weekender!! I'm still at the stage where I'd prefer to be asked to dance rather than vice versa, as then I can be sure that someone is happy dancing a repetitive beginners repotoire!

Depending where you are and who you have access to I would recommend a private lesson at some stage if you want feedback on your individual style and how you look when you dance (which seems to be important to you). Group lessons and workshops may offer some advice for you specifically but nothing so focussed as a private. Also, if you get the chance, do try and film yourself (and a willing partner ) as how you think you look when dancing may well not be how you actually do look. It's a bit early in your development for you to have developed a certain style I would guess, though talk of the gentle lead is encouraging. If you do develop a preference for a smoother style then it makes sense to seek out teachers who dance in that style.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil_dB View Post
    Hello, - okay thanks, I will check out the introductions thread whitetiger1518 - I'm in the UK, - Surrey.

First weekender!! I'm still at the stage where I'd prefer to be asked to dance rather than vice versa, as then I can be sure that someone is happy dancing a repetitive beginners repotoire!
    OK it might be a bit far to travel up here for the moment - although at Blaze in May I met someone who was on their 2nd week!

Quote Originally Posted by robd View Post
    Depending where you are and who you have access to I would recommend a private lesson at some stage if you want feedback on your individual style and how you look when you dance (which seems to be important to you). Group lessons and workshops may offer some advice for you specifically but nothing so focussed as a private. Also, if you get the chance, do try and film yourself (and a willing partner ) as how you think you look when dancing may well not be how you actually do look. It's a bit early in your development for you to have developed a certain style I would guess, though talk of the gentle lead is encouraging. If you do develop a preference for a smoother style then it makes sense to seek out teachers who dance in that style.
    to private lessons - you will probably be able to get a south coaster to recommend teachers for you

Of course you can always find jammy's page on the forum to see if he runs a class near you - Scottish export - you don't get better than that

Cheers Whitetiger

I have had a grand total of FOUR (woo hoo!!) lessons so far, - never done any dance before.

I want to be able to *dance*, - I dont just want to *step/plod* around, leading the follow into different positions.

But i would like to start thinking about movement, footwork, etc. - I dont want to be a 'plodder'.

Can someone give me some tips, or perhaps recommend a DVD for me to watch and learn from, which might give me some practice exercise or something? Or is-a/are workshop(s) the best way forward? both?
    Hi Phil, you should try a WCS class but if it's definitely Ceroc you're looking for I'd suggest not using DVDs just yet, take a few beginner workshops, they were invaluable to me in my early days of MJ.

I was wondering about which workshops to do actually, so thanks for your comments on that, - by the time I have a Sunday free (due to work and holiday) I would have probably had about 10 lessons, - so was wondering whether to skip ahead to the 'plus' or not.
    Ask your local teacher what they think. I started doing extra workshops quite quickly and found them very useful but just be careful you're not going to overload yourself with lots of moves and things to worry about that curiously hinder rather than help your dancing at the start. Keep it nice and simple to start with

Yes, the DVDs were intended to be a supplement to lessons, - I do like to 'mull over' what i've learnt in my head, and DVDs can provide a good reference between classes I think.
    Lots of good DVDs out there. I've got a couple of the Aussie Ceroc DVDs (I have the 'intermediate ones but I've got to believe that the beginner ones will be just as professionally done) and they are very good both to learn moves and to refresh. I've also got John Sweeney's MJ Toolkit and that is superb in talking you through how you dance smoothly and build connection with your partner.

Hello,.................I'm still at the stage where I'd prefer to be asked to dance rather than vice versa, as then I can be sure that someone is happy dancing a repetitive beginners repotoire!
    I felt the same to start with and on occassion still feel that after 2 years, the way round this is to try and ask each follow once for a dance per night

I quite often do not manage to dance with every follow in a evening so get to dance all night therefore not boring them with my repetitive repertoire

You will find most follows don't mind "dancing a repetitive beginners repotoire!" if lead well and with a few tracks between to space the dances out

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by stairman View Post
    the way round this is to try and ask each follow once for a dance per night
    I still do this after many years of dancing.

On the subject of DVDs for beginners. We produced a DVD a while ago that goes over our beginners moves and gives tips on technique. We give it for free to our beginners when they turn up for their second lesson. If Phil PMs me his address I'll send him a copy.

PS
    I've been reading around these forums, - there is so many useful past threads here full of really interesting information & advice from experienced dancers, - it's great. It's nice to hear of other people going through the same doubts and asking similar questions that i've asked myself, and reading the abundance helpful replies.
    I understand how you feel, I think I'd been going to classes about 6-8 weeks when I started to think 'I don't want to just learn more moves, I want to learn how to dance'. The class I went to had no int lesson, freestyle or experienced dancers (aside from teacher and demo) so it was really frustrating!

My advice would be - read a lot on here, as you are doing. You'll be reading about things that might not make a lot of sense yet, such as musical interpretation, styling etc - but it will start to as you learn more.

At some stage do what robd has suggested and have a private lesson for feedback. Maybe not just yet, but its something to think about.

Go to a workshop if any are on - a great way of consolidating moves. Moves are not the dance, but the framework around which you build the dance, so getting a good range of them in your head really helps.

Remember that looking good is great - but connection wins over style every time. Aim to have connected dances with your partners and build the style and footwork in as you learn.

Watch the dancers you admire, and watch leads with a variety of different styles. Over time you will find you probably develop a personal preference for music types and your own style will develop alongside that.

Enjoy and don't get too frustrated when it feels like you are going backwards, or hit a plateau and are not making progress - we've all been there!

Private lesson sounds like a great idea, - I never thought of that, thanks Rob. I plan to get some workshops under my belt beforehand. Video camera, - i'm sure that could teach me a lot, going forward. And choosing a teacher who matches my style, I will bear that in mind also, - great advice thanks.

I'm happy to recieve recommendations WhiteTiger, - although i'm very keen on the dance style of one or two of the male instructors i've seen, so I could always ask if they do private tuition.

Brian - sorry I don't know what WCS stands for? I couldn't find it on in the FAQ-glossary either

Thanks for your comments.Agente. I've now ordered the 'bible'.

Makes sense stairman, - I will set myself the same challenge as you, - thinking about it, I have no reason to care about the people who *would* mind a 3 min dance with a beginner anyway.

Andy, that would be great thank-you, I'm happy to send you a blank DVD if you like, i'll PM you.

Thanks again everyone.

Thank-you Lynn

I just seen your reply after I posted, - great advice there, - I will re-read your post again later, as I REALLY must do some work now

Thanks for posting Lynn.

Well it sounds like i've got it cushy compared with when you started.

I've taken on board everything you've said, all of which has made a lot of sense to me.

Please feel free to skip the rest of this, as it's mainly babble: Interesting you mention about the frustration that everyone has experienced. I've experienced it already; My second night at Ceroc was brilliant, - i had some very memorable dances. I went again the very next night, but I didnt enjoy the freestyle dances at all. A couple of followers tried to lead me, when I really didnt want or need to be led, - i remembered the very small amount of moves I knew well enough to lead them I thought. Further, their lead was out of time with the music, which put me off further. Another girl, who had just come of the intermediate class didnt seem to know the beginner moves I tried to instigate. Yes, I know you're probably thinking that, as the lead, it was my fault, - and maybe it was, - but the bottom line was that I would lead her (quite stiff and resistant) hand into a position, and she would just stand still frozen, - not knowing what to do!?! She didn't know the yo-yo, or the shoulder drop, - i had to tell where to move, - even though we were taught these moves that very evening, - plus coming from the intermediate class I would have thought she'd know all the beginner moves well.
    Anyway, - I came out of the venue that night feeling quite deflated, - I felt as you say, like i was going backwards. I consoled myself from the fact that the previous night had had some fantastic dances, and the follows then didnt seem to have a problem interpreting my intentions, apart from of course when my mind went blank etc & I made mistakes... - the main difference being, I knew exactly when i went wrong or what went wrong.

But the mix of people and experiences and journey is all part of the fun. I've found the difference in people and their dance styles & co-ordination to be massive. Maybe i'm not qualified to comment being a complete novice, but I will give my thoughts anyway : Some people are like little butterflies, - so light on their feet & unbelievably easy to dance with. Other people are clumpy, out of time &, disinterested, like their just going through the motions. Some are so friendly, chatty & up for a laugh & a giggle, - others, well, you wondered they bothered to turn up at all. As I say, - it's all part & parcel & always makes for an interesting evening

Anyway, - I came out of the venue that night feeling quite deflated, - I felt as you say, like i was going backwards.
    Phil its good to hear and be reminded about experiences as a beginner. This is fairly common - esp for leads, a few weeks in you think its not working. But a week or two later you find you are making progress again.

Remember that some of the followers are just learning too, and maybe really think they are helping if they 'backlead' moves.

A good thing is to find a couple of followers who will follow what you lead (instead of 'backleading' or 'knowing the move and doing it anyway') and if you have a bad dance where it feels like its all going wrong, or the follower isn't responding, go and dance with one of those 'easy' followers. That way if it is a problem with the lead, they can help you work it out, or if its just been a not so good dance then you can have a nice dance to build your confidence back up.

Gotta say - do not "jump" the first beginner workshop.

Do as much beginner stuff as possible - many of the advanced dancers still use beginner moves.

Go to the very basic beginner workshop and take it all on board. Plus DVD's of beginner stuff is pure Gold.

Some of my random notes are at: Modern Jive :: Table of Contents

For a jumping off point, try:
    AfterFive :: Modern Jive Information

SpinDr

Thread Information