Thread: What is this move called?

What is this move called?

I learnt it last night, it's nothing special at all, but I like to know the names as it helps me lodge them in memory

It's a left handed move, - similar to the man spin, but the man lifts his hand up as he passes the lady, - the lady does a half spin, but then the man turns his arm back, spinning the girl back the opposite way.

Hope that makes sense!???

Thanks!

Re: What is this move called?

A step accross with an american spin on the end? :?

Is the follower spinning clockwise or anti-clockwise at the end?

I presume you both change places and it's left to left for the duration of the move...

OptionA
    When you "Lift the hand up", it's the left hand and it's over your head? ("Step accross").
    When you come round to face your partner, the left hand is taken to the right and 'blocked', then flung horizontally at waist level to the left causing your partner to free-spin. ("Flick-spin" I think it's called)

OptionB
    The lead and follower step in, lead leading a clockwise turn on the follower as they turn under their own hand (anti-clockwise) and step through to face the follower again (Either an "Archi-spin" or "Reverse-Archi spin" or something like that)
    When you come to face your partner, left hand is extended to right, and flicked left. ("Flick spin" again)

Quite hard to describe moves, but do either of these sound plausable? What height does the left hand go to (it should either be above head, shoulder or waist)? What direction do you turn? When the man "turns his arm back", do you rotate? what irection do you move your hand?...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Phil_dB View Post
    I learnt it last night, it's nothing special at all, but I like to know the names as it helps me lodge them in memory

It's a left handed move, - similar to the man spin, but the man lifts his hand up as he passes the lady, - the lady does a half spin, but then the man turns his arm back, spinning the girl back the opposite way.

Hope that makes sense!???

Thanks!
    Try asking the teacher/franchisee? Some even publish them on their websites.

In future, try writing them down either after the lesson or as soon as you get home. That always worked for me.

HTH.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Steven666 View Post

It definitely sounds like a Step Across with maybe just a Return on the end?

Quote Originally Posted by Lou View Post
    It definitely sounds like a Step Across with maybe just a Return on the end?
    It certainly sounds like that to me too.

However, with perhaps more detail as others have said Phil?....also, was it taught in a beginners class? - that would narrow it down substantially

Hi - and thanks all!

It's a beginners move.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven666 View Post
    clockwise at the end, as the followers hand come down and spins her at the same time, - like a 'snap back'.

Quote Originally Posted by Gadget View Post
    I presume you both change places and it's left to left for the duration of the move...

OptionA
    When you "Lift the hand up", it's the left hand and it's over your head? ("Step accross").
    When you come round to face your partner, the left hand is taken to the right and 'blocked', then flung horizontally at waist level to the left causing your partner to free-spin. ("Flick-spin" I think it's called)

OptionB
    The lead and follower step in, lead leading a clockwise turn on the follower as they turn under their own hand (anti-clockwise) and step through to face the follower again (Either an "Archi-spin" or "Reverse-Archi spin" or something like that)
    When you come to face your partner, left hand is extended to right, and flicked left. ("Flick spin" again)

Quite hard to describe moves, but do either of these sound plausable? What height does the left hand go to (it should either be above head, shoulder or waist)? What direction do you turn? When the man "turns his arm back", do you rotate? what irection do you move your hand?...
    Your presumption at the beginning of your post is correct, - Option B sounds more plasuable, - although there isn't much of a spin, - the follower just "snap-turn's" the follower back to face (clockwise).
    The left hand goes head height as you pass each other, and comes down afterwards to turn the follow back to face. The lead's body rotates in much the same way as he would performing a man-spin.

Quote Originally Posted by Gav View Post
    Try asking the teacher/franchisee? Some even publish them on their websites.
    In future, try writing them down either after the lesson or as soon as you get home. That always worked for me.
    HTH.
    I'll have to remember to find out the name in future, I didnt catch the name at all, - last night I was too busy enjoying myself, and putting freestyle together (my 4th lesson) to worry about names I'll check their website also...

The Forum Legend

Personally, if it's just for yourself to help you remember what a move is called, then why don't you just make up your own name for it - might help you remember it better. When I'm teaching, I don't have names for most of the moves, other than as a description of roughly what I'm teaching (based on the componants of the move, from the beginner move list). If someone comes up and asks me the name of the moves, or if I have to write them down, I just usually make up names on the spot.

Okie, maybe not so effective if you want to talk to someone about them in the future, but having said that, if it's not a move in the ceroc manual, and you're not talking to a ceroc teacher about it (possibly with them needing the manual in front of them if it's not a move that they do!), it might not make a difference anyhow.

clockwise at the end, as the followers hand come down and spins her at the same time, - like a 'snap back'.
    It's definately a "step accross".

My original thought was a step accross but during this "snap back", let go like a sort of flick spin clockwise. Then return.

Of the 19 moves in the beginners section, I don't believe there is a step across with a flick spin (although I could be wrong!), so if it was being taught acording to CTA guidelines, it must just be a step across with a return

Ceroc N.I. Franchise Owner drathzel's Avatar

Hiya

If you were talking about tuesday night the beginners move the "step across" was taught.

By spin do you mean that you kept hold of her hand when she was turning or did you let go?

Quote Originally Posted by drathzel View Post
    Hiya

If you were talking about tuesday night the beginners move the "step across" was taught.

By spin do you mean that you kept hold of her hand when she was turning or did you let go?
    Yes this was tuesday night:

#1 Arm Jive Push Spin - catch with right:
    #2 Shoulder Drop - ending with left hand hold:
    #3 (??) Step accross left to left, follows back is turned to lead 'mid-cross' - and no, never let go of the follow...

#3 (??) Step accross left to left, follows back is turned to lead 'mid-cross' - and no, never let go of the follow...

If the followers back is to the lead mid-cross it wouldn't be a step across. It could be a travelling return (with a flick spin at the end) but are they taught in beginner's classes?

Quote Originally Posted by robd View Post
    If the followers back is to the lead mid-cross it wouldn't be a step across. It could be a travelling return (with a flick spin at the end) but are they taught in beginner's classes?
    Well, when the leaders backs is turned, who knows what the follower is up to!

Thread Information