Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast

Thread: Southport September 08 The Aftermath

Re: Southport September 08 The Aftermath

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry View Post
    It was definitely in the Blues Room and I think it was on Friday nite Sat morning, I may be mistaken
    It might have been the time when ZW was in the latin room playing what worked fine as a blues set for me.
    I found a similar duff slot during/at the end of the cabaret on Saturday and just after, but nothing that worked for me anywhere at that time.

Quote Originally Posted by dave the scaffolder View Post
    Fletch baby your opinion is well respected on this Forum.

If you speak they will listen.
    Thank you hun, if I have somthing to say, I say it, its not my style to say I didn't like some think but i'm not say what it is you carn't please all the people all the time especially when you looking at SP with the blues room you will always get wingers, its to 'hip hop', its to swing, its to west coast, you can't move to another location in the day, I don't like to much of that 'plinky ploy', squeaky WCS music, but then what would you expect i' 'just a jiver' but there is no one I feel the need to mean about.

Cool Re: Southport September 08 The Aftermath

Quote Originally Posted by fletch View Post
    I'm not going to like every one's set all the way through but others do...
    I am glad you liked the music Fletch. I completely understand this point you're making. I don't think there is anyone who would go to SP expecting to like every single track that's played. That's a bit much to expect - even from an uber-diplomat. But when you said...
    Quote Originally Posted by fletch View Post
    there were sets i wasn't so keen on but no need to go there.
    ..it seemed like a bit of a double standard; as the post was linked to one where you pushed Gerry (who, like you, was trying to be diplomatic) into naming names. You weren't talking about the odd track, you were talking about sets and then recoiling from being more specific and at the same time putting pressure on others to do what you were shying away from.

That's why robd spoke about the irony of your comments, so it's not just me who was confused by your shifting goalposts.

Do you see how your comments could have come across like that?

Quote Originally Posted by StokeBloke View Post
    I am glad you liked the music Fletch. I completely understand this point you're making. I don't think there is anyone who would go to SP expecting to like every single track that's played. That's a bit much to expect - even from an uber-diplomat. But when you said...
    ..it seemed like a bit of a double standard; as the post was linked to one where you pushed Gerry (who, like you, was trying to be diplomatic) into naming names. You weren't talking about the odd track, you were talking about sets and then recoiling from being more specific and at the same time putting pressure on others to do what you were shying away from.

That's why robd spoke about the irony of your comments, so it's not just me who was confused by your shifting goalposts.

Do you see how your comments could have come across like that?
    The point I was trying to make was, there are set i'm not so keen on but I don't feel the need to to mention it, its there style, it just seem to me Gerry wanted to say hadn't got the courage to just spit it out, this isn't one of my problems, i'm sure you will agree. I am aware of some of my short falls.

Think I better go shopping this isn't a road I happy going down.

Quote Originally Posted by DianaS View Post
    Hi Just got back and am having some hot chocolate before hitting the sack!

Hahaha hot chocolate AGAIN :P it was very yummy though

The Good

Happy B was a lovely room mate, and has an excellent stash of bickies,

It was briliant sharing with you too. A total girlie challet, filled up with shoes, blingy accessories, hot chocolate , biccies, our girlie chats and so much sparkly makeup between us

Happy B's friend had her purse lifted, Horrible and ugly.Very ugly.
    Was a real dapener on the weekend, and it was her Birthday

had an amazing weekend, did some wicked workshops and was so so so great to catch up with people, especially Gladrags :

B

Just a quick review from me:-

The good

- A certain forumite for making the weekend my best yet.
    - Walking on Southport beach for the first time.
    - The dancers. Not doing a list as I will forget people. Great to watch and to dance with, though I spent a heck of a time just watching in ore.
    - The dancefloors. Not so slippery and dusty this time. Especially liked the decking after it gor wet from the rain though I'm sure I'm in a minority there.
    - Meeting Andy MeGregor albeit breifly. His lesson was actually the most entertaining of the weekend. Only watched the last 20 minutes and didn't do it as I was eating the breakfast kindly provided by Wes.
    - My dancing between 11:45pm and 12:45am on Sun/Mon night. From a personally level, it was the best I'd had danced for a good while.
    - DTS for being his epic self!

The bad

- Having to say goodbye to a certain forumite on Sunday.
    - Other than the hour stated above, my dancing was well below par. Especially early Sunday morning as I was falling asleep. Didn't dance too much but I was tripe. Soz to Smilie Sue as I remember dancing with you at that time. Must try harder next time.
    - Not asking enough people to dance. My own fault.

The ugly

- The theives (again). Do people have no shame.
    - It being the last JA SP. Roll on Skeggy.

Talking Re: Southport September 08 The Aftermath

I've been too spaced to post since I got back (I may get sacked from work following my shoddy performance this week) but finally recovering slightly, so here goes:

The Good:

Bumping into Ruby Red at 4am the first night on my way out and staying for another hour and a half. (You looked as gorgeous as ever )

Keith's Cha cha cha class on the Saturday (I'm normally when the classes are on so this was a rare treat!).

Saturday night - all of it. It was one of those nights where it all just comes together. WOW! I was so much one time when I walked into the Blues Room that my friend thought I'd pulled!!

The bad:

How I felt all day Sunday after getting to bed at 8:30am.
    My long-term job prospects (see my earlier comment)

The Ugly:

The suitcases under my eyes and the state of my feet.
    Ah well, worth it!!

Quote Originally Posted by Toasti View Post
    The Good:

Bumping into Ruby Red at 4am the first night on my way out and staying for another hour and a half. (You looked as gorgeous as ever )
    Darling after a very long day at work and feeling ugh you have cheered me up no end, really fantastic as always to see you too, and as always you shine shine shine beautiful. Look forward to seeing you again soon.
    if you love the life you live then you'll get a lot more done

The History.

At the 1st Southport I came of age.... on the 1st night of the 1st SP in main hall dancing repeatedly with Zebra Woman and miss Conduct I had a realisation at about 0300 hours that for the first time I was moving to the music and not thinking what the next move was....... a fabulous moment.

12 Southports = 12 visits to my second home.

THE LAST JA Southport.

My emotions where high and very mixed as Mrs Par and I approached the gates, but it wasn't long before those friendly faces re-assured me with a smile and promise to get on with the job to put on weekend as it always been.

My thought before arriving was of the music. The Southport music which many of you still discuss on here so much, it means so much to all of you.
    Me too!
    I have a folder on my Ipod named Southport, full of tracks that remind me of my visits. Some of them haven't been played for a while, so it gave me immense pleasure to be the first DJ at the last JA Southport. It is not something I have done before nor would I want to do it again ..... but when on Friday afternoon the music being played in blues room was a random CD, I got Sheepman to set my Ipod up and I spent 45 minutes playing random tracks from my Southport list. I was quite proud of my effort.

The music at this Southport was for me just fabulous.... the absolute highlight was the master, the one and only Dance Demon's set which kept me dancing till 10 to 8 on Sunday morning pure magic.
    Then there were blues room sets by Blues Shoes , Zebra Woman , TWK, Sheepman and Colin Shaul which all hit certain highs and were sublime Southport blues room sets.

In my review I can only really comment on the Blues room really because I spent over 30 hours dancing in there and only about an hour in the Latin Quarter. I cannot comment on the classes either because they where taking place whilst I slept!!!

I went with the intention of dancing, and by christ I did some dancing. I had a ball.

Afternoons of dancing on Friday , Saturday and Sunday dancing was as good as ever.

Dancing through the night to 0600, 0750 and 0700 on respective nights shows dedication to the cause.

The DANCERS

The music is so important to a weekender BUT Southport is Southport because of the DANCERS it attracts.

The weekend attracts the biggest quantity of the best quality dancers of any weekender. It is this that makes it in my opinion dance heaven.

I was still chasing around late into Sunday evening trying catch up with dancers I hadn't danced with yet.

My dancing always improves at a weekender and I felt I took another big step forward this weekend....a big big thankyou to everyone who danced with me ... as already stated before I had a BALL!!!

My 60 shirts were again nearly all used up and my mother in law is going to be very busy soon ironing

My thanks to MinnieM for taking the lead with many helpers to organise the BBQ it was as good as ever with many new faces joining in.

Jan organised Raphael's surprise birthday bash on Friday too which was a really lovely part of the weekend.

The Organisers

Biggest thanks though must go to the 2 fellows John and Wes who decided many moons ago to set up a northern weekender.

They found this venue and committed their time and money and effort to build up this fabulous event to make it what we all know it is. Without their entreprenuership we would all still be going to Franco's Camber.

It saddened me to see the end of Jive Addictions era at Southport and I admit I shed a tear.

Eclipse is on the horizon.... if those who appreciate the efforts of the Jive Addiction team all attend the new event at Skegness I do not see why we cannot have equally great weekenders at the new venue..... and as Paul F has quoted me previously on this thread I honestly believe that if you got all the dancers present this weekend and put them in a shed in a field... we would have a great time.

So I have had an absolutely fabulous time .... it was tinged with a little sadness but I am optimistic about the future and cannot wait for Eclipse.

and Dave the Scaffolder's following has really improved but I can still make him squeal
    Last edited by under par; 18th-September-2008 at 11:24 PM.

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Steven666 View Post
    - Meeting Andy MeGregor albeit briefly.
    I'd like to have chatted more but I'd promised to go over the content of the LeRoc exam with Dance Demon - that and playing music to the people who were practicing the double trouble routine.

I must admit Steven was much slimmer and more attractive than I'd expected. No wonder he enjoyed the company of "a certain forumite"

Just a quick review from me:-

The good

- A certain forumite for making the weekend my best yet.

whos this then steven666
    x

Quote Originally Posted by Andy McGregor View Post
    I must admit Steven was much slimmer and more attractive than I'd expected. No wonder he enjoyed the company of "a certain forumite"
    Quote Originally Posted by sway View Post
    whos this then steven666
    x
    Is it's you or Mr McG...

Well it's 50/50...

xxx

Is it's you or Mr McG...

Well it's 50/50...

xxx
    well it must be mr mcg then ahh how sweet

well it must be mr mcg then ahh how sweet
    You know he does it for me.

You know he does it for me.

i did guess so when you 2 going on ur next date then

i did guess so when you 2 going on ur next date then
    Saturday at Watford!

Saturday at Watford!

didnt realise andy was going to this event lol

*points Steven in the direction of the Singletons Sofa where a nice big beanbag awaits him*

Quote Originally Posted by Poi Boi View Post
    *points Steven in the direction of the Singletons Sofa where a nice big beanbag awaits him*

but hes not single hes seeing andy sorry poi boi i know u wanted him

but hes not single hes seeing andy sorry poi boi i know u wanted him
    well as much fun as he was in Tag, beanbags are for 'new relationships' See the big turquoise one in there, that's mine

Thread Information