Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast

Thread: Southport September 08 The Aftermath

Re: Southport September 08 The Aftermath

Quote Originally Posted by stewart38 View Post
    Over all I thought the sets included Lees ,Blue shoes (when he turned up, thanks Under Par for standing in) Zebra women and most of the rest was fine

Hold on there Stewart you need to be in possession of the facts.

Blue Shoes was a star,

HE WAS NOT LATE!

He wasn't even booked to DJ that slot.

In fact the previous DJ got up and left the decks leaving nobody lined up to play as afternoons where being run on an Ad hoc basis.

The background CD did not activate and I managed to press a button or two to get the music started again.
    I spotted Blue Shoes dancing went and asked if he could help out and saved the day quickly returning with his music to do a spontaneous set

Cool Re: Southport September 08 The Aftermath

OK – Wednesday, that means I am recovered enough to string a few words together..

Thank you to John, Wes and the Jive Addiction Team for bring us what I consider to be the best Southport ever!

This Southport was more than I had ever expected it to be. I have to say that with the recent events being what they were, I was expecting a bit of a sombre mood running through the event. Instead of that we were treated to a massive send off bash! Yes, there were moments of reflection, and John did get choked when he took the microphone after the cabaret – shame on the person who was callous enough to cynically say that him being upset about losing such a personal thing spoiled the evening. May the fleas of a thousand camels infest your armpits.

The Good
    First mention HAS to go to Zebra Woman's set in the Blues Room on Saturday night. It was the best set I have ever heard in a Blues Room.. by a country mile. I think she must have gotten tired of me telling her over and over how good it was. To play so much new material on such an important occasion is a lesson to every DJ about trusting their instincts and pushing the boundaries.

The DJs were amazing. Dance Demon and Sheepman played inspired sets, Blueshoes also showed his versatility in the Latin Quarter and the Blues Room. I didn't venture into the Boing-Boing Room but as I was passing it late in the evenings on the way to get chicken I have to say I was impressed with the variety of music I heard. Other notable mentions go to DJ Phunkyman and Ian Oliver (although playing Fletch's request for 'Now I Can Dance' almost got you a slapping). Top tunes from Woodface, not one duff track mate! And DJ Kenobe played out of his skin.

Only two exceptions with regard to DJs – a guy I hadn't heard before called Colin Shaw managed to completely kill the the mood in the Blues Room dead. I have no idea what possessed him to play that.. stuff, I am sure there will be those who will leap to his defense. I didn't really care that much though as we just evacuated to the Latin Quarter. The other real downer was the lack of CJ and his afternoon Mariachi sets.

The dancers - my friends; new, old, foreign and familiar. You were awesome. It's great being able to take time and chat too. Something that you can't afford at a freestyle. Saturday afternoon in the sunshine chatting to friends and making new ones like Woodface's lady Claire. I also finally got to chat with Paul Farrell after seeing him around for ages! And, is there anything better than dancing all night, then sharing conversation over breakfast with these people. Talk about building bonds.

I did have loads of stand-out dances. Too many to mention, but I have to say a special thank you to Twirlie Bird. Although she feels the cold, she spent a couple of hours dancing with me pretty much exclusively on the outside decking in the early hours of Monday morning. It made me feel like I was king of the world

I also felt my dancing personally progressing after the time I spent playing on the floor with Smiley Sue and Ruby Red. My dances with Eva Rossiter were also as exciting as ever! I also had a couple of exceptionally good dances with a girl called Kate (she'd only been dancing for two months - but could you ever tell she was one of Sara White's dancers)

Oh the music. Was there too much WCS music? I don't know... I didn't know WCS music existed. Just music that lends itself to WCS – however you don't have to WCS to it: what a surprise! It's music, you can dance to it. Who would have thunk it. Perhaps if a few of the 'WCS music moaners' got over themselves and actually.... no Stokie... deep breath... just drop it.

The apartment. Yeah yeah yeah... I know.. but I love roughing it in comfort. The shower was hot, the fridge was cold, the bed was soft, the roof kept off the rain and it was one block away from the venue. Job done.

The Bad
    Having to wait for chicken. It's not rocket science, it's 3am, there's 300+ people dancing, you're the only fast food counter that's open, have some cooked ready! I am hungry, and waiting for chicken is eating into my dancing time you fool – although it did give me a chance to have a laugh with Silver Fox's gang who were loitering with intent nearby.

The Ugly

I am not trying to offend anyone – so no names, no pack drill - I just want to say that some people just are not built for transparent clothing. Eughh. You have mirrors in your chalets, for the sake of others please use them.

The Downright Weird
    Walking through the venue on Monday after booking for Skeggy and seeing all the flooring being lifted. I think that's when it really hit me that this was the end of the very last Southport. Still, who knows what Cerocport will bring?

...and Finally
    I have to say that the last hour in the Blues Room just after sunrise on Monday morning, surrounded by friends was like drinking neat Southport concentrate. If you don't understand that comment, please don't ask for an explanation.
    Last edited by StokeBloke; 17th-September-2008 at 05:19 PM.

Wher's your review big boy? Ie UP

You is a name on here and I for 1 want to know what you thought about the weekend matey.

So chop chop, quick as you like my lover.

Quote Originally Posted by under par View Post
    The background CD did not activate and I managed to press a button or two to get the music started again.
    I spotted Blue Shoes dancing went and asked if he could help out and saved the day quickly returning with his music to do a spontaneous set
    Where is he? I want to rep him now

Quote Originally Posted by dave the scaffolder View Post
    Wher's your review big boy? Ie UP

You is a name on here and I for 1 want to know what you thought about the weekend matey.

So chop chop, quick as you like my lover.
    Mrs Par and I are still on the road matey.... been to St Helens, Monday.... South Wales, Lampeter on Tuesday...... just arrived at Kettering and gonna have dinner with my dad... I wll be posting a review of sorts Thursday night friday morning when I get back to sussex...

Anyone who saw me at weekend KNOWS how much I enjoyed it

thanks for the dances you are such a good follower....

Quote Originally Posted by under par View Post
    Mrs Par and I are still on the road matey.... been to St Helens, Monday.... South Wales, Lampeter on Tuesday...... just arrived at Kettering and gonna have dinner with my dad... I wll be posting a review of sorts Thursday night friday morning when I get back to sussex...

Anyone who saw me at weekend KNOWS how much I enjoyed it

thanks for the dances you are such a good follower....
    Mate a 6' 7" dance God that you are could make a broken hoover look good on the dance floor .

Quote Originally Posted by StokeBloke View Post
    and Ian Oliver (although playing Fletch's request for 'Now I Can Dance' almost got you a slapping).
    I LOVED Ian's set! I also loved dancing to 'Now I Can Dance' outdoors as dusk was setting in...

I am not trying to offend anyone – so no names, no pack drill - I just want to say that some people just are not built for transparent clothing. Eughh. You have mirrors in your chalets, for the sake of others please use them.
    Hahahhahahhahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahhahahaha hahahhahhah!!!!! Can't....stop....laughing....can't....breathe....

I couldn't agree more!!!

Cool Re: Southport September 08 The Aftermath

Quote Originally Posted by fletch View Post
    How can this DJ make a decision on there future sets without feed back?
    Quote Originally Posted by fletch View Post
    there were sets i wasn't so keen on but no need to go there.
    And there was me thinking you took a pride in speaking your mind Fletch. You have always appeared to be so helpful to people. Why would you not help these DJs make better decisions about their future sets?

If you didn't like something then say so and say why. It's how we all grow babe. Nobody will mind you 'going there'

Fletch baby your opinion is well respected on this Forum.

If you speak they will listen.

Southport – September 2008
    Summary
    Once again I had an awesome weekend. Thanks to those involved in the making.
    I like these aftermath messages as a way of remembering the weekend. I would love to mention all the dancers by name who helped me have such a great time but I feel I risk offending anywhere that the list stops so I will not try but to thank you all and to look forward to next time.
    I think weekenders are not so easy for some couples so my biggest thank you is to my Kathleen. It was perfect. Thanks also all of our friends old and new for being our friends.
    Friday
    Horrible journey in the pouring rain for me but although tired I enjoyed Friday up to about 3:30am when I finally run out of steam. Earlier, I was disappointed at the lack of forum t-shirts about and I am not good at finding out peoples forum names. I guessed people had dressed for the party for Raphael in the Latin room. So we went and met Raphael and was later to enjoy watching his multiple session in the blues room, so at ease with four followers. Respect to all five of you.
    Saturday.
    Great dancing outside in the sunshine and then moved on to the forum barbeque. We really enjoyed this again and enjoyed lamb steaks and rice with a shared fork and then far too many crisps and goodies. Thanks to Minnie as the barbeque has made a big difference to our enjoyment at the weekenders. I do have trouble persuading friends to come though as apparently the forum lot are a scary lot and not the people that we dance with on the dance floors.
    Saturday evening
    Sleep until midnight. I was gutted at missing the double trouble cabaret. Great dancing then until about 8.15am when Kathleen finally let me go to bed. Had fun joining the pink stuff club and big thanks to Tazmanian devil, Caz and all of the people who ventured close and got the spare.
    Sunday.
    Not weekender fit I awoke aching. Body partly rescued with my massager I finally had a walk to the beach. The water was about a mile away though.
    Slept and went out about 11 I think. Back on the pink stuff, I think more for the people than the drink. Music was great all night in the blues lounge and some lovely music in the Latin room. Even enjoyed some dances in the main room. Monday morning 6am the music was not so good for my taste but by then I had been sated and retired to bed.
    General good.
    Dancers and dances superb.
    I thought the balance of music in the blues lounge was much improved from June. Congrats and thank to all for the balance.
    Our chalet was very clean.
    General bad.
    Once again the movement around the dance area by the bar in the blues lounge was not ideal. Placement of the water in the corner to encourage movement around the floor is not good as well as the constant flow of people arriving through the area. I have learnt to mostly avoid this area though and the other areas in the blues lounge were great.
    Must take more photographs

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Bartholomew View Post
    NC2 Step?
    What's this stand for?

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by jim View Post
    What's this stand for?
    Night Club Two Step.

Quote Originally Posted by jim View Post
    What's this stand for?
    Nightclub 2 step

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

Night Club 2 Step

Quote Originally Posted by Andy McGregor View Post
    Night Club Two Step.
    Quote Originally Posted by jive-vee View Post
    Nightclub 2 step
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee Bartholomew View Post
    Night Club 2 Step
    Is it me, or is there a fekkin' echo in here?

By the way, it stands for Nightclub Two Step.

Quote Originally Posted by David Bailey View Post
    I'm really not trying to say there should be more AT at JA events, neither am I trying to say that the move towards more WCS is a bad thing.
    I think there should be a bit more. The numbers probably justified a little more milonga time but I don't see much evidence that Tango is significantly worse off because of WCS. Tango provision is still pretty good.

The increased focus on WCS is clearly popular, and clearly it satisfies a market requirement, and it may help differentiate JA from Ceroc weekenders. All of that is fine - good even.

It may well be that JA will become to WCS what Ceroc is to MJ. If so, good luck to them.
    I hope not. I'd like choice/competition in major Jive weekenders, rather than a choice between WCS and Jive weekenders.

While there are clearly many more people doing WCS, the increase in focus/provision towards WCS is arguably less than the increase in the number of people doing WCS.

So while WCS has grown at Southport, it doesn't appear to have been particularly pushed by Jive Addiction.

It reckon it is more the DJs reacting to the number of dancing WCS, rather than heavy explicit provision. Jive Addiction even look to have taken care to pull back, to a degree, the resulting trend to increased WCS music.

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry View Post
    Point taken, I really couldn't get into Colin Shaul's music, unfortunately I can't name the name of records that I disliked but it really didn't work for me.

I went over to the WCS marque on Friday and the rest of the time I basically camped out in the Blues room with a few outings into the main hall.
    The Blues room DJ's on the whole were great, sorry Colin you just didn't do it for me

Which slot, which hall? The great thing about different DJ's being used at weekenders is the variation many bring to a dance floor, some play safe to suit their crowd (isolating perhaps others) & others can be/are more risky and often start new trends and refreshens the scene. Whats is to ones liking is maybe not be to another. CJ has a following but if you dont like his music choices you can be critical on the other well done for being "risky" but dont over do it is the next rule to follow.
    Interesting the comments for the Blues rooms (In weekender Brochure it advertises in the evening Swing & Blues Music) is some like it fast and others slow, some want blues (thats can be fast blues, slow or medium) and people like different blues. Some just want WCS/Blues combination ie slower beat. On Friday night for example there was request for Swing/Lindy, the room says in the programme swing is to be played and I believe for a couple of tracks, particularly Andy (of Andy & Rena)he and a few had a couple of tracks at prime time to dance to. The proof is always a busy floor, it might be a shifting busy floor and djs read (or should do) whats going on and offering balance in their slot. A busy floor maybe a entirely different combination of dancers to another part of their dj set and so on. NO DJ will please every one whether that be in WCS, Latin, MJ or Blues/Swing Hall. Whats always interesting is people who think they could better, never try??
    But well done to all DJ's for bringing together music to entertain, no matter what weekender it is, they often work dam hard before an event in preparation which dancers in general think it was "thrown" together.

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by robd View Post
    I didn't like the speed of the floor in there nor the slope of it in places but I know it's not easy putting down a good temporary floor. I also don't like the fact that I have to change shoes to go between the Blues Lounge and Marquee as that wasn't necessary with the Dance Den.
    I heard in June that John & Wes after introducing the "Marquee" were going to invest in special "carpet" from the blues room to Marquee, so people could walk on it without changing shoes, part of their on going commitment to improvements for September. They listen, the react, they improve etc
    When they knew something was going down with Ceroc, long term investment would have been wasted and of course on going storage. So sadly that was never introduced I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    Which slot, which hall? .
    It was definitely in the Blues Room and I think it was on Friday nite Sat morning, I may be mistaken

All I can say is a big thank you to all the DJ's for all their hard work and being brave enough to get up there and play their tunes.
    I realise that they take a long time preparing their sets with extra tunes that they can throw in if others don't work, lastly there is always some body who doesn't like things but I presume there were heaps more that found it to there liking

And there was me thinking you took a pride in speaking your mind Fletch. You have always appeared to be so helpful to people. Why would you not help these DJs make better decisions about their future sets?

If you didn't like something then say so and say why. It's how we all grow babe. Nobody will mind you 'going there'
    I'm not going to like every one's set all the way through but others do and I totally understand why, if i'm not happy with the music i'll move to another place, I normally check who's DJing before I turn up at a free style, like I did at Rugby when OXO'S was playing that's why I defend him so much when his set was been 'Dissed' it was advertised.

there are DJ's sets i'm not keen on and have heard them several times its there style, I like variation and get boarded with the same old same, I don't want to take away choose, I love John Bakers sets but he did one at a freestyle some time ago that I wasn't keen on and said so. If the sets were all the same as that I would vote with my feet no need to keep telling him.

if i'v appeared to be so helpfull its only to some but not all some are not worth the effort, or I put so much effort in and there not worthy.

move on NEXT!

Thread Information