Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Southport September 08 The Aftermath

Commercial Operator

Re: Southport September 08 The Aftermath

Quote Originally Posted by fletch View Post
    This funky stuff isn't for every one.
    I didn't say I could dance to anything the funky way fletch does. I just don't have the equipment

Andy, it dose come across as a 'Lee's' issue.
    That's because Lee thought it was about him - he was the first one to make the connection. I never mentioned Lee. But he thinks a lot of things are about him that have nothing to do with him. Lee wasn't the only afternoon DJ at all. I said I thought the afternoon sets should be a varied mix rather than the slow stuff I kept hearing as it was the only place to dance while the workshops were going on. And, of all the DJs who DJ'd the afternoon, Lee decided it was about him. It wasn't about him and neither is this paragraph.

And why did Lee attempt to make the issue about him? Because he wants the attention.
    Last edited by Andy McGregor; 16th-September-2008 at 11:30 AM.

Dickie Davies' love-child Cruella's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Andy McGregor View Post
    And why did Lee attempt to make the issue about him? Because he wants the attention.
    So stop giving it to him and let it go.

Now then Lee and Andy there is only room for one ego-maniac, drama queen on this Forum and that is ME.

So behave yourselves or I will turn up at your venues wearing me muffin top and clear the venues in an instant.

DTS XXX XX

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Cruella View Post
    So stop giving it to him and let it go.
    Giving what to who?

Quote Originally Posted by David Bailey View Post
    No - maybe it's a Midlands thing...
    your quite possibly right, were used to saying what we mean direct so there are no mistakes.

you might want to try it.

love you. xxxx

so you got some dances then? even with your black and white shoes on
    Hehe yes I did. Sadly though, they are pretty much worn out now. I have ordered a new pair of shoes, not black and white this time though, but still a bit of flash to them. I'm very tempted to go back and get another pair though, they did me so well!

Sway, the 5 way tag was truely hilarious, I now really do want to learn to follow, just so I can muck around with tag more often!

I didn't say I could dance to anything the funky way fletch does. I just don't have the equipment

That's because Lee thought it was about him - he was the first one to make the connection. I never mentioned Lee. But he thinks a lot of things are about him that have nothing to do with him. Lee wasn't the only afternoon DJ at all. I said I thought the afternoon sets should be a varied mix rather than the slow stuff I kept hearing as it was the only place to dance while the workshops were going on. And, of all the DJs who DJ'd the afternoon, Lee decided it was about him. It wasn't about him and neither is this paragraph.

Over all I thought the sets included Lees ,Blue shoes (when he turned up, thanks Under Par for standing in) Zebra women and most of the rest was fine

Its by removing all of this mix and mash that you get more settle more chilled environment

Roger fading was true to form (Latin room) I still don’t know why some DJs put on a track and knock of the last 30% of it but it over all it was much better then June

What a great doo, it certainly went out with a bang

Highs
    Being able to dance in the blues room and feeling very comfortable being UCP with lots of fabulous dancers, thanks to Sara for all the kind words of wisdom encouragement and just being a friend.

A big thank you to the fabulous dancers who led me at WCS, namely Laurence, Stokie and Paul Warden, Paul thanks for the complements they really made my weekend.

As usual the show cases were of the highest standard; Robert and Nicola were truly outstanding.
    Paul and Cat you showed that the Brits are here to stay with a magical show case as well.

Twirlie Bird, thanks to our blues dance I have never found any one who just melts into your body on the dance floor, all I can say was WOW

The Swango routine was sublime, a real classic.

Lee’s time on the decks was one of the highlights, I think he is a DJ for the future, watch this space.

Dance Demon, thank you for some quality soul music.

Ruby Red, wow you look great.

Toby you wear more bling than most of the girls put together

I loved the girls hand bag dances late on Monday morning; I couldn’t believe how quick some of these girls were moving, respect as they say
    Dancing on the decking on Saturday afternoon in glorious sunshine

Thank you to Lory for being a great travelling companion, I thought your Tango and WCS was rocking.

Zebra Women, I love it when you blush

Thanks to Toni for just being a great friend.

Susie, wow your WCS has come on a storm, thank you for all our lovely dances especially late on Monday morning.

DTS’s face when he was being led by Noel, it was a picture of pure concentration and fear. It just cracked me up.

The Twickenham / WCS posse you guys and gals are true friends in both good and bad times, it’s a real pleasure to know you all.

Bad
    Dancing with one girl who never once gave me a look and was too busy looking every where but at me, your loss and it was mine as well as one look could have made it a real pleasure.

The floor in the blues room seemed so hard, my feet were in agony.

The Guy who kept roaring in my ear YEAH, YEAH every time John made a comment in his speech which meant I missed most of it.

Some of the music from one particular DJ was really bad; I am not going to name names.

I have to say a BIG THANK YOU to JOHN and WES, you guys rock, and you have as usual pulled out all the stops

Lastly thank you to all the dancers young and old that came to Southport and made it a fabulous weekend, a weekend to remember.

Already booked for Feb and June, the June weekender will be special as it’s my birthday.
    Last edited by Gerry; 16th-September-2008 at 12:30 PM.

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by stewart38 View Post
    Its by removing all of this mix and mash that you get more settled, more chilled environment
    I think you can have a chilled set without the constant rap, R'n'B, gangsta, Drum and Base sound that I heard track after track on Saturday afternoon. I was talking/dancing with Fletch when it was playing and she showed me how to dance to this music that she was calling "funky". Fletch has had to invent a whole new dance to accommodate this kind of music - fletch looks great doing her funky disco dance while I hold on wondering what to do next - it's a lady's hijack for whole track, basically a lap dance where you get to hold hands with the dancer and it only costs you ÂŁ5 - at least that's what fletch charged me

On the subject of creating a chilled environment, there are many tracks from other genre's that have a chilled sound that could be played and still stay in the zone.

Here's some examples;

Let's Face the Music and Dance - Diana Krall
    Back to Black - Amy Winehouse
    When You're Young and in Love - The Marvelettes
    They - Jem
    Whatever Lola Wants - Gotan Project
    Shall we Dance - Stacey Kent
    Good Luck Charm - Elvis
    Satellite - Colin James
    Hang on Little Tomato - Pink Martini
    Back Stabbers - The O'Jays
    Wondrous Place - Billy Fury
    Reach out I'll be There - Michael McDonald
    The Onion Song - Marvin Gaye
    Havana - Kenny G
    The Birth of the Blues - Chantz
    Pride and Joy - Cassandra McKinley
    Game of Love - Wayne Fontana
    Stuck in the Middle with You - Michael Buble
    Black Satin - Katie Webster
    Dream a Little Dream of Me - The Mamas & the Papas
    Rack 'Em Up - Jonny Lang
    You Sexy Thing - Hot Chocolate

I got a bit carried away and put in more tracks than I'd planned - I haven't put these tracks in any particular playlist order and would probably add a few smooth Latin tracks if it was my playlist - and I'd add loads more tracks, I stopped when I realised I'd gone off the bottom of the window. However, please feel free to play these tracks to me any chilled Sunday afternoon at any weekender - I promise I won't stop dancing

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry View Post
    Some of the music from one particular DJ was really bad; I am not going to name names.
    [/FONT]
    The forum is a place to put your opinion, were all different and like different things, Lee's set had been mentioned several time some good and some bad, i'm sure he has taken all the comments on board.

How can this DJ make a decision on there future sets without feed back?

it make this comment irrelevant, have the courage to say what you mean.

I think you can have a chilled set without the constant rap, R'n'B, gangsta, Drum and Base sound that I heard track after track on Saturday afternoon. I was talking/dancing with Fletch when it was playing and she showed me how to dance to this music that she was calling "funky". Fletch has had to invent a whole new dance to accommodate this kind of music - fletch looks great doing her funky disco dance while I hold on wondering what to do next - it's a lady's hijack for whole track, basically a lap dance where you get to hold hands with the dancer and it only costs you ÂŁ5 - at least that's what fletch charged me

:
    fame at last, i'v invented a whole new dance

I think Lilly and David B would dissagree.

at least you have the courage to post

The forum is a place to put your opinion, were all different and like different things, Lee's set had been mentioned several time some good and some bad, i'm sure he has taken all the comments on board.

Point taken, I really couldn't get into Colin Shaul's music, unfortunately I can't name the name of records that I disliked but it really didn't work for me.

I went over to the WCS marque on Friday and the rest of the time I basically camped out in the Blues room with a few outings into the main hall.
    The Blues room DJ's on the whole were great, sorry Colin you just didn't do it for me

Commercial Operator

sorry Colin you just didn't do it for me
    I danced to most of Colin's set and thought it was good. One or two tracks were not to my taste, but that's normal for any set. The only track I particularly didn't like was his re-mixed version of Sandstorm. The original is fab, why mess with it?

Even then I enjoyed dancing to the re-mixed version of Sandstorm, it's just more challenging as it kept drifting about musically and didn't end the nice way that you find with the original. I had a fab partner for this track, I'd just danced with DTS and she was lovely, much slimmer, prettier and even more sexy

Commercial Operator

2nd attempt at posting. You can take as read a small anti-Windows rant.

My attempt at a brief summary:
    There's a certain irony, I suppose, that my first Soutport was the First Southport, while my second Southport was the Last Southport. In those few years, it's certainly grown and matured as an event.

I can't really give a full review anyway - we were very much the event lightweights, arriving as we did mid-way through Saturday, and being as we were, extremely covetous of our beauty sleep, so my latest night was Saturday night, when I went to bed at 3:30. A shame, but necessary.

Highlights - in no particular order
    Atmosphere. If you could bottle the atmosphere and sell it, you'd be an instant millionaire. Can't force it, can't fake it, can't steal it - the whole event had a great buzz about it. Better (I suspect) than any drug.

Cabaret. Loved the 'threesome' routine , loved Paul & Cat's routine (so so graceful and elegant), loved Robert & Nicola's "never-before-seen" routine.... Could maybe have done with slightly better crowd control during the cabaret - ask a few more of the people near the front to sit down so those at the back could get a better view, but from an I'm-alright-Jack standpoint, we managed to grab chairs to stand on, so we ended up with a fairly decent viewpoint.

Meeting people. I'm not going to name anyone, purely because if I try to name everyone, I'm going to end up missing one or two people out - but I met a lot of great people, forumites and non-forumites alike, and had a lot of amazing dances with forumites and non-forumites alike. I loved almost every single dance I had - magic. The highlights? Yep. There were highlights

Music. I had about four dances outside the blues lounge - two in the main hall, two in the latin quarter. Didn't like what I heard in the main room, but I heard very little, so I'm not in a position to judge it overall. The blues lounge was (in the time I was there) very nearly uniformly excellent. There was a bit of a downturn on Sunday evening where I found it comparatively dull for 45 minutes or so, but everything else was great - some stonking tracks, many of which I'd not heard before (there's something truly special about dancing to a completely unfamiliar track with an excellent partner. And by definition, that just ain't going to happen all that often...)

Workshops. Only did three - Victor's men's styling, and Paul and Natasha's classes (was curious about them, as I'd not seen them teach before). All were great - although Paul and Natasha could possibly have done with a mini-explanation of the background of Balboa for the benefit of those who were new to it. Meeting them afterwards was great - very lovely people, loved dancing with Natasha.

Lowlights
    Yes, there were some, but to be honest, there's very little point in discussing them, as in the grand scheme of things, most of them don't matter very much. Things of import:

1) Politics. Howevery - my hunch is that JA will emerge from this one even stronger, running even better events. Give it a few years, and they may even be grateful for the loss of Pontins (though possibly not for the way it happened) - hard as it may be to look at it that way now.
    2) Thief Everyone loses with this one. I have no words.

Miscellaneous Comments
    Caro - breaking our pact in a spectacular way *mutter* There will be revenge. Oh yes....
    Lee - I don't possess a bowler, but next time I might bring a couple of my trilbys. I'm curious to know how you came by that idea though.
    Lory - what can I say? Gutted I didn't get to dance with you Next time...
    Ruby Red - also gutted I didn't get you for that second dance on Sunday. I wish, in fact, that I'd been able to dance more with just about everyone.
    Failed to meet a few people that I'd hoped to (Andy M for one). Met several others far too fleetingly.

This could go on forever. I'll stop tempting fate, and post it before Windows crashes again... (time I got back to work anyway)

Point taken, I really couldn't get into Colin Shaul's music, unfortunately I can't name the name of records that I disliked but it really didn't work for me.

I went over to the WCS marque on Friday and the rest of the time I basically camped out in the Blues room with a few outings into the main hall.
    The Blues room DJ's on the whole were great, sorry Colin you just didn't do it for me

I'm sure he is big enough to cope, and he will respect the fact you said what you felt, or don't say anythink at all.

by contrast Colin I really enoyed your set.

there were sets i wasn't so keen on but no need to go there.

Commercial Operator

hey its 32 if you don't mind .... well really 37 but just for me can everyone still think i'm 32 would be great

I had the best ever Southport for me, we always felt that our first could never be out done as all our friends were all there in 2003.

but this time just rocked, i had so many dances with so many people, lots of new faces and new experiences and the general standard seemed so high.

Robert and Nicola were superb in performances and teaching, i have so much to learn.

Big respect to john and Wes for such a well organised weekend.

I felt the music was so varied and this helped to keep me going dance after dance. Did not make the main room but looked like it was rocking as well.

Nicole and I are booked for the next Jive addiction weekend's and look forward to seeing everyone there.

thank you to all those that attended our classes and support given ( we were so suprised to have such packed classes ) espeacialy with so many great teachers teaching at the same time.

To many people to thank for dances so can i just do a blanket thankyou to everyone.

LOL simon

I
    Even then I enjoyed dancing to the re-mixed version of Sandstorm, it's just more challenging as it kept drifting about musically and didn't end the nice way that you find with the original. I had a fab partner for this track, I'd just danced with DTS and she was lovely, much slimmer, prettier and even more sexy
    I know the woman you danced with.

I ran her over later in the car park, sexier than me? Bi*ch

DTS XXX XXX

there were sets i wasn't so keen on but no need to go there.
    Am I missing some irony here?

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by ant View Post
    -the people who sold me my new dance shoes, they conned me. I was told the shoes I bought were the same as Viktors and I would be dancing like him. Alas that bit was unfortunately not true. It is always a wonder watching you dancing Viktor.
    I think you missed a step there. Viktor wears magik shoes. You needed to surreptitiously swap the ones you bought with his own while he wasn't looking.

Then you'd be able to dance like Viktor. Didn't you read the instructions?

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Bartholomew View Post
    Still have not had time to explain to Claire who you are.
    I suspect I'm going to regret asking this, but since there wasn't really an opportunity at the time, I may as well ask now.... what on earth did you mean by that?

Thread Information