Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Southport September 08 The Aftermath

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Re: Southport September 08 The Aftermath

Quote Originally Posted by DianaS View Post
    BTW don;t tell me about river tango, I'd booked Southport before I'd realised the clash and would just cry
    Oh, so you won't want to see Rebecca's photos then? Or my review of the Saturday Ball and the Tate dancing?

Oops, sorry...

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Bartholomew View Post
    Did see you dancing to both sets till you saw who the DJ was then moaned to anyone who would listen.
    I'll dance to anything - I don't let the fact that the music is mostly too slow, same-sounding and boring for MJ stop me having a good time. I knew before I stared dancing who the DJ was - that didn't stop me dancing either.

Ok you 2 lets stay on thread and stick to how wonderfull SP was and not sully a marvellous weekend by fighting on this thread....PLEASE.

DTS XXX XXX

Quote Originally Posted by Andy McGregor View Post
    I'll dance to anything - I don't let the fact that the music is mostly too slow, same-sounding and boring for MJ stop me having a good time. I knew before I stared dancing who the DJ was - that didn't stop me dancing either.
    Guys,come on ... just STOP IT! If you want to throw handbags at each other set up your own 'bitch-fest' thread.

Re THE EVENT ... sad, end of an era ... lots of people already realising what they will be missing. Coming from someone who admittedly isn't a great fan of weekenders, I can see why. Great atmosphere, great chance to meet/make friends ... even some workshops that you might want to attend Still impressed at how many people pack in to do the WCS workshops ... maybe it does have a future. Got to say that the Royston's probably taught the BEST workshop I've seen ... fantastic way of explaining how to dance and great use of 'models'.

Maybe a surprising star for me on the DJing was Nigel Standeven (?) .... did exactly what is said on the tin ... played a couple of really solid 'main room' sets .... Shame a few others didn't follow his lead. In the Blues room, usual praise to Dance Demon ... one of the true greats of the DJ scene and truly the King of the Blues Room

Dickie Davies' love-child Cruella's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by stewart38 View Post
    Had a great weekend ,althought treated badly at the end cira 5.30am on the monday (will need to find out why)
    Sorry, I won't ask again then.

I too am far too knackered to post properly. All I want to say at present is, Ceroc have Utopia, but JA just showed me the equivalent to Shangri-la!
    Last edited by Cruella; 15th-September-2008 at 05:24 PM.

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by dave the scaffolder View Post
    Ok you 2 lets stay on thread and stick to how wonderfull SP was and not sully a marvellous weekend by fighting on this thread....PLEASE.

DTS XXX XXX
    Hey, I posted a genuine review. It was a fab weekend. I posted "The Bad" with "The Good" in the hope that it will be all good next time. I felt that there was too much of that slow rap "Mary had a little lamb" gangsa poetry slow stuff played in succession during the afternoons so I said so. When you have only one room for people to dance I believe it should provide a varied mix of music - the afternoon stuff that was being played while the workshops were being run had, IMHO, too little variation in tempo and style - it was mostly slow, mostly modern and mostly lacking in melodic quality (there wasn't much of a tune). That wasn't just when Lee was playing and I never said it was - I wasn't singling Lee out for criticism, it's not all about him.
    Last edited by David Bailey; 15th-September-2008 at 07:37 PM. Reason: Removed personal comment

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gus View Post
    Guys,come on ... just STOP IT! If you want to throw handbags at each other set up your own 'bitch-fest' thread.
    I thought "aftermath" threads were supposed to be bitch-fests, that's the whole point of them isn't it?

For example:
    Quote Originally Posted by stumac View Post
    The Ceroc take-over was under constant dicussion from everywhere all weekend.
    Wooo.

Hey, I posted a genuine review. It was a fab weekend. I posted "The Bad" with "The Good" in the hope that it will be all good next time.
    Andy, you'll soon realise that should you dare to post even a tiny negative comment, it will be jumped on, stomped over, re-hashed, inflated, misinterpreted, and will stay with you forever; you'll always be known as "Oh yes, Andy McG, he's the one who posts negative reviews isn't he?" from now on.
    Last edited by David Bailey; 15th-September-2008 at 05:29 PM.

This was posted first by sway on the It was actually quite moving on the Saturday night when John was in the mike telling everyone the circumstances behind them needing to find another venue (this has been discussed elsewhere and I have no plans to open that particular can of worms on this thread - please try to show the same restraint and keep that particular discussion to the outside thread). After a while John got so emotional he couldn't speak and had to hand the mike to Wes. I'm glad he didn't give it to me - I really did feel for John and I had a lump in my throat too

They had obviously filmed the venue when they looked around. It does look fabulous and very new. It's more like the updated bits of Butlins in Bognor - but even newer by the look of it.

I'm really pleased that John and Wes were given a well deserved standing ovation - you really could feel the genuine love in the room.
    The Ceroc take-over was under constant dicussion from everywhere all weekend, looks like we'll all be following Jive Addiction to the east coast. The worm is turning, it would seem. I am a Southport veteran and have been appauled by Ceroc's latest dirty deed. Ceroc will never achieve the dance quality that JA have built up. They have burnt themselves in the foot this time. Too many people have been turned off, yea some will follow, but anyone with any morals will ditch the monopoly that is Ceroc and support the independents.

Highlights

Just remembered one the (many) highlights of the weekend....

Sunday night in the Blues room, trying to wake up while watching the dancing on the floor behind the DJs ..... in wanders a certain Amir who then links up with the gorgeous Mel () ... and they just HAD FUN ... so easy yet so beautiful to watch. Would have paid good money for footage of their dancing. AND ... as if that wasn't enough,. short time later then Amir is on the dance floor again with ANOTHER absolutely stunning blonde (how the ?$&*** does he do it? ) ... never seen her before (tall, slim, black top, white trousers) ... but once more pure poetry was created on the dancefloor ..... wonderful
    Last edited by Gus; 15th-September-2008 at 05:28 PM. Reason: genetic inability to spell :-(

Quote Originally Posted by Gus View Post
    Great atmosphere, great chance to meet/make friends ... even some workshops that you might want to attend Still impressed at how many people pack in to do the WCS workshops ... maybe it does have a future. Got to say that the Royston's probably taught the BEST workshop I've seen ... fantastic way of explaining how to dance and great use of 'models'.
    Robert and Nicola seemed like absolute sweethearts, fab teachers and their cabarets (in fact, all the cabarets ) Can't wait for them to come back for another weekender.

Quote Originally Posted by stumac View Post
    They have burnt themselves in the foot this time.
    Have they;

a) Burnt their bridges?

or

b) Shot themselves in the foot?

Maybe you're so incensed by Cerocs actions that you have come up with a unique saying, just for this occasion.

Too tired for a lengthy review at the moment so keeping it short and sweet.

Once again SP was simply outstanding, most of all for the quality of the dances and the special atmosphere created at times in the blues room. I had no really bad dances, loads of really good ones and some that were . I won't mention names (some I don't know anyway) but simply say a massive thanks to all of you.

On the music front I will give a special mention for Zebra Woman's set in the blues room on Sunday night . I also had a go myself on the very sunny Saturday afternoon and played some of my favourite blues and chilled tunes which seemed to go down reasonably well.

So once again thanks to Jon and Wes for a great weekender - I felt so sad to leave and really wished it could have lasted a few more days.

Smile Re: Southport September 08 The Aftermath

Well am just in the door and about to sleep for as long as I can before work the next morning.

I had alot of fun this weekend... started (again) the long struggle from jive to WCS

Though only after three dances and one workshop afterwards i've manged to loose my whip ability......

Made alot of new friends this weekend. Though i didn't manage to dance with all the forum lot i met.

Am convinced i met a jive something at a wcs workshop which disappeared for the rest of the weekend.

Cake was supplied and eatten plus i had countless fanstastic dances even attempted to dance with a teacher (didnt know sowwy!)

Only downside for me was it was over too soon that and the evil mobile cameras that might have pictures of me while traveling down to southport....

Ah!!that's better, sleep, a shower and bacon and eggs later I feel human again. I was quite 'spacey' on Monday morning having had only six hours sleep since waking up on Friday morning, but what the hell who wants to sleep through Southport

The Good

Fabulous atmosphere, yes we won't be at Southport next time, but as ever the optomist I think well, in that case Southport is moving to Skegness, same great dancers, DJs, music, and teachers, different location, whether that had to happen? different subject and in the words of the song, we're moving on up now.

Dancing Milonga with my friend George for the full one and a half hours on Sunday night, in his words delicious!!

Meeting JonD properly and dancing tango in the beautiful close embrace with him, and also having the very best of fun dancing MJ with Jon, in my words ..awesome and hope to repeat at Skegness perhaps???

My fabulous dances with Stokie , Blueshoes,[who was blue from head to toe] Ant, Dave, [Jivenights], Dance Deamon,Mr Darcy,tsh, Prezelmeister,DTS,Lost Leader, Underpar,Bill Straycat, Darryl,Tanjive,Onkar, Tiger 'sexy' pants, The Librarian, Chunky Josh,Raphael,Noel, Wuzzle, pmjd, robd,Dai,Gerry, my lovely mate Patrick, [non forumite], and to all the gorgeous guys who made me feel very special and a million dollars on the dance floor,thank you so much.

Thank you for the music DJs each and everyone.

Lemoncakes spectaular cakes, so much appreciated.

Having breakfast with the compliments of Jon and Wes

My chalet roomies, Ant and Susie, we got on ok didn't we and between us we certainly didn't starve, PHEW !

Moments where you just had to be there at the time, like 'you've been oranged with Hevmate', I know I am special at times. The girly handbag dances, we will have to keep that as a feature.

For the laughs and amazing 'you had to be there times' with Sara White, love ya honeyand we get to do it all again in a couple of weeks, I ask myself,is Teneriffe ready for you, Trouble and me together.

Fletch, you always shine darling in the most dignified and elegant way Lol xx

Caz, get those legs out girl and show off that fabulous figure in your frocks, you look fantastic.

Raphael's 'truely suprise' birthday party, dancing in the sunshine, chair dancing when you are too knackered to get up and dance but can't keep the body still, and really the list goes on and on....magic happens , like buying the sexy shoes I have been looking for and managing to find purple ones.

Catching up and having laughs and fun fun fun with the girlfriends I have made with dancing, big hugs xx

The Milonga's and Tango classes did it for me they made a great weekend even better,I agree with Sue that it would be nice if the Milonga time could be extended...what do you think Jon and Wes? Sugarfoot you played the most gorgeous music in the Marquee, any chance you do a playlist if it is different from the one mentioned by David Bailey. Many thanks x

The not so good

Trouble wasn't there and I missed you gorgeous.

Missing the opportunity to dance with Lee Bartholomew, I was just off to the tango lesson and didn't find you after that, gutted, so would like at least two next time please. lol

Missing out on more dances with Straycat, Andy I just didn't find you later and I so enjoyed dancing with you. Mind you you may have been in front of me and I wouldn't have recognised the 'new' you lol x.

Too much music with the beat for West Coast Swing dancing.

Hearing that there is a thief about, that is bad, bad, bad.

That fat lady sang again and has now emergrated across the pennines and beyond, but I will find her and will make sure I will enjoy Skeggie just as good.

I missed meeting loads of people that said they were going, jive -vee sorry xxx ,

Thank you Jon and Wes for a great time, and for the personal touch that makes for a dancing event with a difference.
    Last edited by rubyred; 15th-September-2008 at 06:23 PM.
    if you love the life you live then you'll get a lot more done

Quote Originally Posted by Wuzzle View Post

Made alot of new friends this weekend. Though i didn't manage to dance with all the forum lot i met.

Am convinced i met a jive something at a wcs workshop which disappeared for the rest of the weekend.
    Hiya Wuzzle, I think that might have been me. I didn't disappear though I was just constantly dancing, would've asked you but didn't see you around...next time

Commercial Operator

On behalf of Wes and I, thank you to everyone who attended the Last Ever Southport as we all knew and loved. It was a truly memorable and emotional experience.

ECLIPSE at Skegness will be the 'new' Southport and with the amazing facilities available to us, Jive Addiction will raise the standards once again.

Advance bookings have been phenomenal. Thank you to the 873 dancers who booked in over the weekend for February and the 655 dancers who booked in for June.

Dickie Davies' love-child Cruella's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Filthy Monkey View Post
    and the news is...?
    Quote Originally Posted by stewart38 View Post
    Was going to book ahead but cant yet because of above
    Don't leave it too long.

A phenomenal 873 dancers booked in for ECLIPSE in February 2009.

An incredible 655 dancers booked in for ECLIPSE in June 2009.

Quote Originally Posted by David Bailey View Post
    Oh, so you won't want to see Rebecca's photos then? Or my review of the Saturday Ball and the Tate dancing?

Oops, sorry...
    DAmn You DAvid B! - Negative rep on its way
    Last edited by DianaS; 15th-September-2008 at 07:05 PM.

The Bad
    Not enough time in milonga..Sunday night we had 1 1/2 hours then 4 hours WCS. This was also being played in the blues room so there was a choice of WCS, WCS or at times WCS
    Assuming you are talking about Sunday night, I don't get this. WCS was scheduled at 23:30 after the Milonga.

23:30 - 02:30 is 3 hours. It might have got extended but that is the potential benefit of being last, and isn't guaranteed. Would the Tango dancers really want the last slot ?

You had Dance Demon playing in the Blues Lounge @ 23:30 - 01:00. Mostly WCS ?

Then from 01:00 - 04:00 in the Latin room you had Zebra Woman and Blueshoes. Not a whole lot of WCS there, and quite possibly a decent number of tangoable tracks.

And as far as bluesier tracks go, it isn't always correct to dismiss the main room, as things tend to slow down deeper into the early hours.

Quite a few of us were milling between rooms looking for a good vibe and couldn;t fine one. I actually went to bed at 3 on Saturday night unheard of but the blues room wasn;t really bluesy so bed seemed like a good place to be
    Possibly the issue was that there was more short term variety, than was necessary with 4 freestyle rooms (As in DJs generally making an effort to provide variety)

So not the (lose the will to live) uninterrupted WCS previously seen, but difficult to settle down to a different vibe. And blues/tango dancer have good reasons for being far more disturbed by a hard WCS track, than WCS dancers are by a bluesy track.

Back home and rather tired... summary points.

The atmosphere - very much a feeling of people wanting to make the most of the last Southport - just settling into the event and enjoying it for what it is.

Music great as always. Loved the variety that the different DJs brought.

A lot of amazing dances. I didn't have a single bad dance all weekend and had some really fantastic ones.

The standing ovation for John and Wes.

Seeing so many familiar faces and meeting some new ones.

Robert Royston's classes - simply an excellent teacher.

Not going to list lots of names re dances as there were just too many, but a few highlights - dancing on the decking in the sunshine and in the evenings, Lemoncake and LM's lovely cakes, starting to get into the flow on Fri night with Nigel S, shopping with Andy McG (!), doing tango in the middle of 'Pump It' with the Passion Harem, tag dance with DTS and Bill (?), seeing myself on a video clip (being v playful and daft! ), meals with the NI crowd, dancing and sitting and chatting and relaxing and dancing some more. Smooth dances, funky dances, high energy, slow and sensual - delightful.

The downs - despite a whole weekend with so many of my favourite dancers - still not getting to dance with everyone I wanted to.

I've been to every Southport - my personal dance journey has been linked with this event, I feel I have grown along with it. And its the people that make it for me, some are forumites I have got to know over the years, some are people I don't know but just always see at SP. It all works because of the people, good to hear so many booked for Skegness, with the music and the people it will be great.

Thought I would leave feeling a bit sad at the memories of the past 5 years, but instead I left feeling satisfied at a great weekend. Thanks John and Wes.

Looking forward to Eclipse.
    Last edited by Lynn; 15th-September-2008 at 07:19 PM.

Thread Information