Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What is an advanced dancer (in weekender terms)?

Re: What is an advanced dancer (in weekender terms)?

Quote Originally Posted by spindr View Post
    The clip here shows some examples of the level that I would expect from an advanced weekly.
    Salsa ?
    1:44 - "Leading & following tips"
    Advanced semi-circle ?

'New Directions' could be good - Ceroc tends to go in many different directions - adopting some of the styling & moves of other dance forms.

There are 'taster' workshops that are a basic intro to other dances, but we could do with a deeper level that introduces the different techniques, rather than just moves.

Maybe some more on MJ technique would be a start ?

eg last year we had some pretty-well WCS moves in the 'New Moves workshops', but no guidance on technique. And without a 'frame', double-preps just don't work.

Ceroc is already 'overlapping' with Tango, Salsa, Mambo, Cha-Cha, WCS and many others.

Maybe the 'common ground' of generic dance technique could be taught , then the different dances built on that foundation ?

Blues technique, too ! Definitely more Blues, especially since we have a 'Blues room' .

Quote Originally Posted by robd View Post
    One recurrent theme on the various Cerocport threads has been that Ceroc offer little or nothing for the 'advanced dancer' on their weekenders. I infer from these statements
    • those posting consider themselves within that group
    • Jive Addiction do provide more for the 'advanced dancer' on their weekends

I'd be keen to know
    • how do you define an advanced dancer in this context?
    • what (other than the presence of lots of other 'advanced' dancers for social dancing which is not really something that the organiser provides) are the elements of a JA weekender which had particular relevance/appeal for the 'advanced' dancer?

Is there a difference between an "advanced weekender dancer" and an "advanced dancer" at weekender?

I feel that I am in the former category.

I go to weekenders to dance as much as possible with as many people as possible(mainly in the blues style room as that is the music I prefer).

At the last 3 southports I have averaged 28 hours freestyling a weekend (and 50 shirts).

I love dancing with great dancers to great music. I want to go to weekenders where there are lots of great dancers.

There are great dancers at all ability levels.

I am equally happy dancing with absolutely anyone of any ability. Especially if the music is good.

Am I an advanced dancer??
    Not really my call.
    I am a more than capable dancer and I try to give a good and musical dance with all those I dance with.
    There are lots of better technical dancers than I .... but if if there was a medal to be had for endurance enjoyment I might be a contender.

I organise each part of my weekender experience for maximum freestyle endurance... sleep , meals, drinking , massage etc.

I also improve my dancing at each weekender I attend ...even though I do not do any lessons!!

By freestyling so many hours with so many great dancers to music that inspires me, I really "get into " my dancing in a way that allows me to relax and be more expressive, letting go more with my large frame... it feels great (even it probably looks sh*t ) but I feel I live for the moment of each dance throughout the weekend.

I feel I am definitely an "advanced weekender dancer" .

Would I get the same enjoyment at a weekender without lots of high ability dancers? The answer is NO it wouldn't be as good. As a leader though I can have a great time.
    For followers I do not think this is quite the same. A great weekender needs loads and loads of good expressive competent leads to entertain the followers IMHO. (AND OF COURSE GREAT MUSIC!)

Quote Originally Posted by Baruch View Post
    I think it's one of those terms that changes its meaning according to the situation you find yourself in. It depends on the standard of dancers who are around for you to be compared to.

By local standards I'm advanced (a big fish in a small pool). By wider UK standards I'm just a competent intermediate (a small fish in a big pool). At Blackpool this year I was out in the first round of Intermediates, yet some of the beginners at my local venue have told me I'm a fantastic dancer. There's no contradiction there, as it's all a matter of perception and perspective.

In other words, there's no point trying to define what an advanced dancer is, because the definition would be constantly changing according to where you were at the time.

Exactly

No lie but when dancing in Nottingham area about 18 months ago some guy thought I was the best thing since slice bread. It was a hall full of beginners. I can still get that to a degree at my local venue

I wouldn’t define a advance dancer by any standard but if you suggested a advance dancer goes to a weekender to get some bloody good /challenging dances and get disappointed when they don’t ,id agree with that

It doesn’t make a advance dancer a hot shot if they would prefer to dance with accomplished dancers rather then beginners over say a dance weekend

Ps 3rd round of intermediates

Quote Originally Posted by under par View Post
    Is there a difference between an "advanced weekender dancer" and an "advanced dancer" at weekender?

I feel that I am in the former category.

I go to weekenders to dance as much as possible with as many people as possible(mainly in the blues style room as that is the music I prefer).
    When I arrive I am like a kid in a sweetie shop, looking round at all the lovely leads I want to dance with over the weekend. There were so many at the last SP I still get round everyone I wanted to dance with!

Your comment about 'advanced weekender dancer' made me start to count up the number of weekenders I have been on... lost count around 20...

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by under par View Post
    Am I an advanced dancer??
    Simple answer..... Yes
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
    There were so many at the last SP I still get round everyone I wanted to dance with!
    Oops, missed out the word 'didn't'...

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by stewart38 View Post
    I wouldn’t define a advance dancer by any standard but if you suggested a advance dancer goes to a weekender to get some bloody good /challenging dances and get disappointed when they don’t ,id agree with that
    As Baruch suggests, you can't really pin down what an advanced dancer is. It does depend on what you are comparing yourself to. Are you advanced for your local venue/country wide venues/ weekenders /across your dance style/ or are so good you transcend dance style . And there is a big difference between that and "advanced" the competition catagory, as that in turn depends on both the rules of the competition on what advanced means and the "level" of the other entrants.

All in all, the labels are all pretty pointless - and the question is simply "will Nina Daines want to dance with you a second time?"

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe View Post
    All in all, the labels are all pretty pointless - and the question is simply "will Nina Daines want to dance with you a second time?"

I wonder who the male equivalent would be, any suggestions?
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Commercial Operator

and the question is simply "will Nina Daines want to dance with you a second time?"
    Of course.... a proper Dance God would leave her wanting more

In my humble opinion under par you is an advanced dancer.

There aint many can make me squueell like a school girl matey.

Commercial Operator

I know the answer to this one. And it means almost every guy is advanced. Nina doesn't get asked to dance much and would always want a second dance with any guy who'd been a fun partner and asks for a second dance. I get the impression fun is the thing she likes, not great technique, frame, posture or even a huge bag of shirts
    Last edited by Andy McGregor; 30th-September-2008 at 11:12 AM.

Thread Information