Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Hotshots...

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: People do what they want

Originally posted by ChrisA
    Just as in the rest of life... you have to read her mind.

If you can't, that's not her fault
    Forget it ...... you are on a total loser there!

What goes around comes around..

Originally posted by Minnie M
    Last March at the Blackpool competition, I was sitting with a group of friends who are VERY well known, and VERY good dancers, and was watching ?????? dancing with them all - thought WOW I would love to dance with him - I asked him, he looked down his nose and said "NO too tired", 30 secs later a pretty young thing asked him and off he went. He did NOT feel remorse at all and still continued to ask all my friends - BUT I felt so awfull I had to go for a walk outside as I felt I wanted to cry

He agreed to danced with me ONCE! at Camber, abait reluctantly, and he nearly pulled my arms off.....you had a lucky escape!

What Goes around comes around..

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: People do what they want

Originally posted by Daisy
    Forget it ...... you are on a total loser there!
    I knew you were going to say that

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: People do what they want

I knew you were going to say that
    That comment marks the beginning of a wonderful friendship .......
    watch it you!

Ta for the dance on Sat...... thoroughly enjoyed it.

Originally posted by Andy McGregor
    Keep it up Trampy, I can hear the sharpening of little mouse claws. I'm keeping my head down and offering cheese
    I WAS genuinly very upset at that time - and both of you should have more sense than to ridicule me !

--ooOoo--
    Age is a question of mind over matter, if you don't mind, it doesn't matter
    Leroy (Satchel) Paige (1906-1982)

Mickey Mouse's girlfriend, Minnie, made her film debut, along with Mickey, in "Steamboat Willie" on November 18, 1928.
    That date is recognized as her official birthday.

I must admit that the guys seem to have it a bit easier. But maybe we have to learn to be creative in the ways we ask for feedback? Even if I know someone quite well, unless I've been dancing/practicing with them that day, I generally always ask before doing drops or laybacks, and test the water (by doing little bits) before doing double speed moves, seducers, or putting the lady on the spot for 'solo' improvs. I like to get feedback afterwards too, and often try to ask how comfy it was.

If she felt fine and wants more like that, she'll usually be enthusiastic; if not she will maybe say something like, 'it was ok, but a little bit on the strong/fast side, not too much' etc. If I hear a sudden intake of breath I sometimes ask if it was 'good' or not - she may be thinking 'wow' or she may be thinking 'crikey' and the body language can be confusingly similar!

I often keep to very simple moves for the first dance or two (unless there's an immediate strong connection) - advanced dancers never complain as they're more interested in how rather than what, and if they are less advanced then hopefully they become relaxed and I can try and work out the sort of things they like. I find this different for every partner too - what one partner likes doing with another dancer, however wonderfully and even if it seems like it's the same 'move' that I do with my partners, there is no guarantee it will work between us, so I concentrate on connection first and listen for feedback.

One chap I know (forget his name - teaches Lindy occasionally in Newcastle area) came up with the Commandment 'The follower shall follow the leader' but quickly added 'The leader shall follow the follower'.

Does this mean anything to anyone else apart from me?

His explanation was: 'the routine of moves which the leader selects, the pace and energy with which he leads them, the rhythm he uses, and all such things, should be selected in the light of the responses from the follower. He must monitor what is being well received, and what isn’t. No two partners are alike, and a partner will feel more special if the dance they get seems tailored to them. A creative follower will be offering opportunities for certain leads to her partner. The leader should always be watching for this. For the length of one song, the follower is the leader’s queen, and he her faithful servant attending to her wishes.'

There's also a maxim, oft repeated in style classes, that the degree of tension is led by the man. True, but it's the amount of tension needed to indicate and maintain frame, not the amount to 'put the lady through the move'. It's amazing how little lead / indication the experienced ladies need . . . "May I open this door for you?" is more often a case of a social, gentlemanly gesture that triggers the automatic sensors than crashing against the door in question lol.

You never know who your are dancing with these days ???
    Attached Images Attached Images

--ooOoo--

Mickey Mouse's girlfriend, Minnie, made her film debut, along with Mickey, in "Steamboat Willie" on November 18, 1928.

Blog Entries
    Minnie M wrote:
    You never know who you are dancing with these days
    Steady, Minnie, the young and impressionable (aka Boomer) may be watching

Commercial Operator

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: People do what they want

Please don't let it be another Andy Mac! One of him is quite enough!
    Too late, there's already two of me. And if we stand on each others shoulders we're nearly six feet tall

Commercial Operator
    I WAS genuinly very upset at that time - and both of you should have more sense than to ridicule me !
    I was making fun of the Trampster, not you, Minnie - I don't know what the Trampster was doing, but neither does he!

I would never, ever make fun of you Minne. Tell me who that nasty man was and I'll sort him out! In fact, tell us all and we'll never dance with him until he apologises

Originally posted by Chris
    One chap I know (forget his name - teaches Lindy occasionally in Newcastle area) came up with the Commandment 'The follower shall follow the leader' but quickly added 'The leader shall follow the follower'.

Does this mean anything to anyone else apart from me?

Very much so. Nikolas Lloyd (known as Lloyd, not Nikolas, don't ask me why) - he's written some interesting stuff about dance.

http://www.staff.ncl.ac.uk/nikolas.l...e/tencomm.html is the article you're quoting there. Well worth a read, as is his other dance-related stuff.

Chris

You never know who your are dancing with these days ???
    Off the Rock Bottoms web site, I assume. That Jules has a great deal to answer for...

Do you think I look good as a blond?

Chris

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: People do what they want

That comment marks the beginning of a wonderful friendship .......
    watch it you!

Ta for the dance on Sat...... thoroughly enjoyed it.
    I sure know why you won that comp.

More please.

Chris

Originally posted by Lounge Lizard
    Are you going to name this dancer Minnie?

I remember once at Brighton about 2 years ago asking an attractive young lady who I had never seen before to dance, she looked me up and down (that never takes long with me ) and said no, while I was still there a young tall guy asks her - without hesitation she said yes
    Feeling just a tad pi##ed off
    I asked her friend (who looked embarrassed by the incident but not keen on dancing with me) she said yes ok.
    I then carried out my best ever impression of a hotshot dancing next to the first lady - I took up the space of about four dancers and used nearly every move, break, drop etc. I knew
    We attracted a crowd and got the applause at the end of the record - something I really am not keen on - but this time it felt great.
    pp
    Mr Lizard and also Minnie M I am mighty relieved that both you and I have experienced a phenomenon - I have mentioned before on the Ceroc London forum earlier this year called "A Hangers On"

A "Hangers on" person is a female who only wants to dance with a tall, elegant male. which myself and Mr. Lizard are not! or a recognised hotshot !!

It can be men as well who only want to dance with young slim attractive women or a female hotshot!!

Now don't get me wrong we all have dancers who we love dancing with but I will not turn down anyone who wants to dance unless I need a drink or the loo in which case I'll say come and find me in a minute and try and look for the person who asked.

I get upset a rejected still cos I am quite sensitive as where now I am learning if the woman says no and dances with someone else immediately beause of the reason you described to think "It's your loss"

The Forum Legend
    Originally posted by LilyB
    Does that mean I get at least one dance with you at Aberdeen?

Lily
    I think the only thing I have to say to that is....

Only one???

Steve

Re: Re: Re: Warning: a bit heavy :)

Originally posted by Pammy
    come to think of it Chris, wasn't that when you asked Helen to go outside with you and see the stars?
    Eeek! When I first saw that I thought I was the Chris in question and you had been in Auckland when there was a dance party with temp flooring outside for literally dancing under the stars

(especially as one of my favourite dance partners is called Helen, but she wasn't in Auckland at the same time).

I invited several ladies to come and see the stars with me that night - for a dance! I must confess they looked exceptionally ravishing by starlight. One lady came over for a year and we dated for a few months (and is now one of my best friends). The other is getting married soon. But dancing under the stars is something none of the people who went outside that night will ever forget I guess. Like being in a movie! It's amazing!

It would be a lovely idea - and a fabulous experience - maybe Mr L.Lizard could oblige one year at Cambers? (I know he's good at that sort of thing)

ps can we also arrange nice weather for when you sort out an outside dancefloor please Mr Fixit?!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Warning: a bit heavy :)

Eeek! When I first saw that I thought I was the Chris in question and you had been in Auckland when there was a dance party with temp flooring outside for literally dancing under the stars

(especially as one of my favourite dance partners is called Helen, but she wasn't in Auckland at the same time).

I invited several ladies to come and see the stars with me that night - for a dance! I must confess they looked exceptionally ravishing by starlight. One lady came over for a year and we dated for a few months (and is now one of my best friends). The other is getting married soon. But dancing under the stars is something none of the people who went outside that night will ever forget I guess. Like being in a movie! It's amazing!

It would be a lovely idea - and a fabulous experience - maybe Mr L.Lizard could oblige one year at Cambers? (I know he's good at that sort of thing)

ps can we also arrange nice weather for when you sort out an outside dancefloor please Mr Fixit?!

Great idea by the sounds of it, trouble is the British weather, you would have to do it between June and August and also find some way of getting the required amount of 240 V AC if it was outside!
    and really remote.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Warning: a bit heavy :)

Originally posted by Jon L
    Great idea by the sounds of it, trouble is the British weather, you would have to do it between June and August and also find some way of getting the required amount of 240 V AC if it was outside!
    and really remote.
    We had a school with a big dancefloor (gym?) with doors that went outside to a tarmac playground area to which temp flooring had been added . . .

Beach Boogie possibility? Edinburgh?

Methinks there must be the expertise on the Forum to maybe make it happen . There's maybe schools in Edinburgh similar with nice flat playing grounds adjacent - imagine it with end of Festival fireworks in the skies overhead!

(posts from teachers / Peter LL would be good)

Do you think I look good as a blond? Chris
    I thought you looked cute

PS: NOT found on th web site

--ooOoo--

Re: Re: Re: Re: Warning: a bit heavy :)

could not do it at Camber as there are severe sound restrictions on this site for night time dancing - this is why the doors are never open.
    For the last four years I have held a garden party in Eastbourne with room for over 400, kids welcome, food games and family fun, inside dance area suitable for over a 100 dancers plus outside dance area suitable for over 100 dancers, bar bouncy castles etc. etc. 12 hours dancing and fun for£10 I thought that was a good price.
    At my last one weather was perfect we had expected over 250 we got 150 - 9 people turned up from Hastings Eastbourne and Brighton (a few more did turn up after 7pm when price dropped to £5) I turned the lights off on two dance aras as they were not being used - so I would not advise it to Promoters.
    I lost a lot of money and will not be having any more garden parties
    Shame but thats dancing - I had planned to hire a large sports venue with another organiser for a major outdoor event, but we also scrapped this idea.
    sorry it is off thread but was relevant to the previous posting.
    peter

Thread Information