Thread: Hotshots...

Commercial Operator
    Originally posted by TheTramp
    [ ODA ON]I'm a 'hotshot'.

..snip...

I'm a 'hotshot' and proud of it.
    [ODA OFF]
    Steve
    Brilliant defence. That legal training must be working. And the best part is that you didn't believe a word of it - you'll make a brilliant lawyer

Commercial Operator
    "Hey Pammy, we're over here, why don't you join us".

Unspoken message - you're a great dancer now so we like you, don't sit/dance with those plebs... ..but you will have to give up the glitter and wear black and white shoes, oh, and you must give up that ridiculous smiling, it's not really cool...

The Forum Legend
    Originally posted by Andy McGregor
    quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Originally posted by TheTramp
    [ ODA ON]I'm a 'hotshot'.

..snip...

I'm a 'hotshot' and proud of it.
    [ODA OFF]
    Steve
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Brilliant defence. That legal training must be working. And the best part is that you didn't believe a word of it - you'll make a brilliant lawyer
    Thanks Andy

Steve

I'm currently wearing my glittery surf babe top so I guess I'm already out of the running.

Also, if I don't smile, I look miserable; ask Boomer; oh and if he's not smiling, he looks even more miserable than me If that's possible!

We are not sad, honest, we're just giving our facial muscles a chance to relax...

Originally posted by Pammy
    ...ask Boomer; oh and if he's not smiling, he looks even more miserable than me If that's possible!
    Try 'he looks like a moody psychopath' Just a big softy really.

But I'll dance with anyone!

Re: hotshots

Originally posted by foxylady
    When I asked him he agreed to dance but extremely reluctantly. He deliberately led me to a part of the floor he would be less easily seen, looked bored for three quarters of the dance, & wouldn't smile. It was a great dance, and we probably looked very good, but I was simply the stooge to enable him to show off (once he realised I could follow what he led).
    This is the cardinal sin IMHO.

They should just say "no" if they fit the mould Steve describes.

He's right of course - no one has any _right_ to insist anyone dances with anyone else, but dancing with someone and making them suffer by making it perfectly apparent they are bored stiff during the dance is terrible behaviour.

Let them stick in their little clique if that's what they've paid their money to do, but if they come out, no matter how reluctantly, they should abide by standards of acceptable behaviour.

I think what I might do is ask a particular hotshot to dance next time I get the opportunity - I have one in mind that gave me the "god I'm so bored" treatment last time I danced with her - and if she does it again, I'll ask her if she really is bored.

Chris

Originally posted by Boomer
    But I'll dance with anyone!
    even YOUR hotshot?

The Forum Legend

Re: Re: hotshots

Originally posted by ChrisA
    They should just say "no" if they fit the mould Steve describes.

He's right of course
    Damn.

That's the nicest thing that anyone has ever said to me.

Although, with 2700+ posts, you'd think that it'd have to happen sometime

Steve

Originally posted by foxylady
    ... When I asked him he agreed to dance but extremely reluctantly. He deliberately led me to a part of the floor he would be less easily seen, looked bored for three quarters of the dance, & wouldn't smile. It was a great dance, and we probably looked very good, but I was simply the stooge to enable him to show off (once he realised I could follow what he led).
    Didn't see the 'you asking him' bit, but for what its worth he was noticed (not just by me), and the consensus was 'for gods sake, if you're gonna dance have fun and smile!. A few adjectives swiftly followed, but being the gentleman I am, I will not swear in front of ladies. innocent:

Last night at said jive bar (why do I go there its so dire !! - oh I know - its where my friends go !)
    It is a shame, the place has everything (for me) except location location location. The 'hall' does no justice to the teachers or the us I guess its hard to find decent, affordable venues in London.

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Let them stick in their little clique if that's what they've paid their money to do, but if they come out, no matter how reluctantly, they should abide by standards of acceptable behaviour.
    I disagree. Some people have no idea of standards of acceptable behaviour. Every social situation always includes the odd few who arent any good in social situations - thats society for ya - full of freaks and aberations So who are we to tell them what to do? If you don't like dancing with someone just don't, and, if they look really bored - you may be too polite to walk off the floor but you don't have to dance with them again. Just rejoice in the fact that not everyone is the same, and wander away shaking your head slowly at their social ineptness.

Personally I only go jive dancing because I like drinking bottled water. Or do I. Who knows. Each to his own though .

Re: Re: Re: hotshots

Originally posted by Dreadful Scathe
    Personally I only go jive dancing because I like drinking bottled water.
    You would be wasted if this was true; I can speak for all the *southerners* when I say that DS is a mighty fine dancer

I agree though, it's not ones place to tell other people who they should act in there. It they can't see it, leave em to it.

I disagree. Some people have no idea of standards of acceptable behaviour. Every social situation always includes the odd few who arent any good in social situations - thats society for ya - full of freaks and aberations So who are we to tell them what to do? If you don't like dancing with someone just don't, and, if they look really bored - you may be too polite to walk off the floor but you don't have to dance with them again. Just rejoice in the fact that not everyone is the same, and wander away shaking your head slowly at their social ineptness.
    I'm not sure what we're disagreeing about.

I'm just saying that it is unkind for a brilliant dancer, when asked to dance by a lesser mortal, to spend the dance making the lesser mortal feel like a piece of stepped-on chewing gum.

A bit of kindness costs very little, and if the brilliant dancer can't afford even that, well, he or she must be poor indeed.

Chris

Commercial Operator
    "Hey Pammy, we're over here, why don't you join us".

Unspoken message - you're a great dancer now so we like you, don't sit/dance with those plebs... ..but you will have to give up the glitter and wear black and white shoes, oh, and you must give up that ridiculous smiling, it's not really cool...
    Errrr.............what's the problem with black & white shoes?.....
    I don't consider myself a hotshot...but I do wear black & whites sometimes, mainly because I like them, they are comfy, and really nice to dance in. On the other hand I don't own a pair of brightly coloured strappy trousers, mainly because i'm maybe a bit long in the tooth for that particular fashion statement. I also tend not to wear womens clothing.....I think the point I'm trying to make is that wearing black & whites doesn't make you a hotshot, any more than wearing the most up to date trendy gear.....so your comment was maybe a wee tad flippant Andy

....... and if she does it again, I'll ask her if she really is bored.

Chris
    Go on - I dare you!!!!!

I'll be watching from the sidelines. Mop & bucket ready to clean up the blood & gore.

LilyB

The Forum Legend
    Ooh....

Go on then. I'm dying to know. Who is she??

Steve

Commercial Operator
    Originally posted by Dance Demon
    Errrr.............what's the problem with black & white shoes?.....
    I don't consider myself a hotshot...but I do wear black & whites sometimes, mainly because I like them, they are comfy, and really nice to dance in. On the other hand I don't own a pair of brightly coloured strappy trousers, mainly because i'm maybe a bit long in the tooth for that particular fashion statement. I also tend not to wear womens clothing.....I think the point I'm trying to make is that wearing black & whites doesn't make you a hotshot, any more than wearing the most up to date trendy gear.....so your comment was maybe a wee tad flippant Andy
    Sorry, I was going for COMPLETELY flippant

I, too, own a pair of black and white shoes. Although I don't find them more or less comfy than shoes of any other colour.

I was really commenting on Pammy's fascination with glittery shoes, the mention of B&Ws was merely a side-swipe

I agree about those strappy trouser things. Girls can probably get away with them up to middle age but guys shouldn't wear them if they're over 21 (IMHO).

You're also right that B&Ws don't make you a hotshot. But a lot of hotshots do wear them. The key indicator for Hotshots is prima-donna behaviour, especially not dancing with beginners.

Commercial Operator
    Sorry, I was going for COMPLETELY flippant
    yep....that figures....

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

I'm not sure what we're disagreeing about.
    you said...

they should abide by standards of acceptable behaviour
    I disagreed. Why should we assume they even know what these standards are ? why should we have to tell them how to behave ? more to the point, why do we care?

I disagreed. Why should we assume they even know what these standards are ? why should we have to tell them how to behave ? more to the point, why do we care?
    I see.

I meant no more than _if_ they come out of their clique _and_ deign to dance with a lesser mortal, they shouldn't do the "oh god I'm so bored dancing with such a peasant as you" thing.

I wouldn't dream of _telling_ them how to behave - it's not my business. I'm just expressing a view of the demoralising effect it can have when they do behave like that, and if dancers get demoralised because of it, that's why I care.

Chris

Originally posted by LilyB
    Go on - I dare you!!!!!
    I might well... cos I might have completely misinterpreted.

I've been accused of looking too serious once or twice... and all that was going on was I was concentrating too much...

So who am I to make assumptions about what's going on in someone's head?

Chris

Thread Information