Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 41011121314

Thread: Hotshots...

Originally posted by Sheepman
    Yes, but have you ever had people saying to you they don't dance with you because of what you wear?
    No?
    That'll just be me then

Greg
    Well, stands to reason Sheepy, we ladies don't like getting all that fluffy wool all over our clothes, shows up alarmingly on black!

Commercial Operator

But didn't you realise I'm the black sheep?

Greg

But didn't you realise I'm the black sheep?

Greg
    Answer for everything, that man, answer for everything!!!

Bardsey,
    Do you go to the Engine Shed freestyles? Have been a couple of times, not bad....

Commercial Operator
    Yes, but have you ever had people saying to you they don't dance with you because of what you wear?
    No?
    That'll just be me then

Greg
    I get this all the time. Do you mean it's not a normal response

Originally posted by Yogi_Bear
    Bardsey,
    Do you go to the Engine Shed freestyles? Have been a couple of times, not bad....
    Yes, every time, they are great! In fact, I'm going tonight. Let me know when you're next up this way and I'll grab you for a dance

Commercial Operator
    Originally posted by Andy McGregor
    I get this all the time.
    Well there was one other person in my mind when I made that comment, but Andy, in your case, isn't it the men who are refusing because of what you're wearing?

Greg

Commercial Operator

Somebody hasn't read this thread

I was surprised, and amused to get an email publicising a tea dance in Sussex, as the name the organisers have chosen is "Hotshots."

Do you think everybody stands around for the whole afternoon, looking important, waiting to be asked to dance?

Greg

Re: Somebody hasn't read this thread

Do you think everybody stands around for the whole afternoon, looking important, waiting to be asked to dance?
    Put Helen and I down for two

If Only!!!

Re: Somebody hasn't read this thread

I was surprised, and amused to get an email publicising a tea dance in Sussex, as the name the organisers have chosen is "Hotshots."

Greg
    yup all six of them
    the DJ is Mike 'the man' mariner, why Mike the Man...cos he liked the sound of Steve 'hitman' Strong.........................I think there is milage here pick a 'handle' [Remember the CB radio days!] for a forum Member

Mike is the guy that I lent 5 hours of MJ music to for a BBQ he put it on his comprter then set up as a DJ, bless him - still a mate but never gets near my cd collection now.
    LL

I think there has been a influence of the latin comming into jive, i personally have liked what I've seen. This yera at blackpool I saw female dancers who had changed their dance style from previous years to incorporate small touches.

I do think its also notiable that that in competitions the "dress style" has also been influenced. There are a more sparkley latin style dresses worn by ladies in competitions now than in previous year and high shoes - just wish I could wear the shoes and still dance!!!

looking forward to hearing you music at Beach Boogie Peter - lots of blues -

fran

woops wrong thread!

sory for teh above psot in the wrong thread - it was suposed to go on gus latin jive

Re: Hotshots...

Can someone please explain to me the following common response "I am alright, thank you"?
    What it means?
    "You seem like a gentleman, and it sounds like you're asking me for a dance because you want to make me happy, or because I look left out, which is very generous of you. However, I am alright where I am just at the moment, having a bit of a sit down, and watching the fantastic couple over by the stage. But thank you for asking, and perhaps we could have a dance later on?"

It's more commonly heard in pubs. "Would you like another?" "I'm alright, thanks".

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

Old thread I was reading through Had to laugh

Quote Originally Posted by Sheepman View Post

Greg

Thats where I danced (till I moved out of Hastings).

Trust me. There are no Hotshots there. Still all at Andy's Beginner stage

website as proof www.hotshots.org.uk Don't think Mike realised what he was doing when he chose that domain name. lol

Something I read as "advice to teachers": if you only hang out and dance with your students, they will see you as a peer, and assume they can't learn anything from you.

True or false?

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by MartinHarper View Post
    Something I read as "advice to teachers": if you only hang out and dance with your students, they will see you as a peer, and assume they can't learn anything from you.

True or false?
    I think I would always see them as a teacher. However it's always good to see what your teacher can do. If they only dance with their students then they wouldn't be dancing to their ful potential. Teachers need to do both. Also surely a teacher would get bored if they only danced with students.

This Saturday I am attending a freestyle and my weekly teacher is doing a cabaret with their partner. I am quite excited about this as I have heard so much about his dancing but haven't seen him 'really' dance yet.

True or false?
    I tend to find that dancing talks. Teacher or not, if you talk the talk but can't dance the dance (ok that doesn't scan properly but you know what I mean) you'll be busted.

I would be far more suspicious of a teacher that DOESN'T dance with their students.

Commercial Operator

True or false?
    I'm a little confused about what you mean by 'only' here - do you mean 'if you hang out and dance with no-one but your students?'

Leaving that bit aside - because of the nature of social dances such as MJ, Lindy, Tango, Salsa at al... my belief is that a teacher isn't just imparting dance knowledge / skills. A teacher is building and shaping a community, and the way they behave outside of the lessons is a hugely important part of that.
    Whether it be on the dancefloor, or in terms of social interactions - a teacher is leading by example, and demonstrating (wittingly or unwittingly) the values that they're bringing to the dance community, and - whether deliberately or not - they are encouraging others to do the same.

It is my belief that if teachers are open, warm, friendly and positive, and joyfully dance with everyone at their venues, people at the venue will start taking that example, and following suit.

I believe the reverse is true also, and have seen both sides of this in action.

Thread Information