Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Hotshots...

Originally posted by Andy McGregor
    We need to make sure that Hipsters does not become so 'cool' that it becomes a 'hotshots only' venue. In my opinion this would be the kiss of death. These 'hotshots' are so far up their backsides already it would only take the draught from a carelessly opened window to make them disappear up it altogether
    Great post, Andy. I don't reckon it's in danger of becoming a "hotshots only" venue. (Well it can't while I go there, let's face it...)

In any case, the coolest of the people there are the likes of Nigel and Nina, Andy, Rena, Tor... and they are all so grounded (and dance with everyone) that the atmosphere should stay good while they're still connected with it.

Talking of cool, did anyone else there last night think it was too cold in there? The gale coming in through the windows by the bar was freezing... so I shut them. No one opened them again, so maybe it wasn't just me sickening for something.

It was a great night, though I was expecting far more people. This meant that there was room to move, despite a couple of the hotshots ..

A dance with Nina was the high spot for me... what a goddess. I must be improving just a little bit, cos I'm not quite so terrified of asking her for a dance any more.

ttfn,
    Chris

Commercial Operator
    Originally posted by ChrisA
    Great post, Andy. I don't reckon it's in danger of becoming a "hotshots only" venue. (Well it can't while I go there, let's face it...)

In any case, the coolest of the people there are the likes of Nigel and Nina, Andy, Rena, Tor... and they are all so grounded (and dance with everyone) that the atmosphere should stay good while they're still connected with it.
    Chris
    The people that you listed aren't 'hotshot dancers', they're great dancers. I produced stages of dance list somewhere on this Forum. I've updated it a bit, it goes something like this;

1. Beginning dancers. Can walk, but not when chewing gum. Knows nothing. Dances with anyone.
    2. Intermediate dancers. Can walk and chew gum. Knows everything. Too good to dance with beginners.
    3. Hotshot dancers. Will only do advanced moves and then only to favourite tracks. Too good to dance with anyone.
    4. Great dancers. Makes beginners moves look great. Dances to everything. Especially with beginners.

A dance with Nina was the high spot for me... what a goddess. I must be improving just a little bit, cos I'm not quite so terrified of asking her for a dance any more.Chris
    If you aren't scared of Nina you must be very brave. I did the Ceroc champs with her and as I got to know her better I just found new reasons to be very afraid - and some of them had nothing to do with dancing

Originally posted by Boomer
    As for my evening, I just had a runin with a bloody 'Hotshot', and during the class
    More detail required !!!!

Commercial Operator
    Originally posted by Boomer
    As for my evening, I just had a runin with a bloody 'Hotshot', and during the class Ho-hum, one day I'll be a god
    There's two ways those 'Hotshot' dancers can go. They can become 'Great Dancers' or they can stay as they are - and it's up to us to put them on the path to enlightenment. Pain and reward are recognised training methods - hurt them 'til they're nice

There's two ways those 'Hotshot' dancers can go. They can become 'Great Dancers' or they can stay as they are
    I can think of a few current hotshots... do you know any that did go on to become great?

Chris

I can think of a few current hotshots... do you know any that did go on to become great?
    Yes

Originally posted by Pammy
    Yes
    Huh? Why ???

I would have thought that a hotshot graduating to great would be a good thing, warranting maybe a

Huh? Why ???

I would have thought that a hotshot graduating to great would be a good thing, warranting maybe a

Sorry, I'm confused. Isn't a hot-shot the dancer who won't lower himself to dance with us minions?

Sorry, I'm confused. Isn't a hot-shot the dancer who won't lower himself to dance with us minions?

Mr McGregster, you do explain things like this so well, would you do the honours when you get a chance? I thank you.

Exactly. So a "hotshot" that graduated to "great" would be a good thing, n'est-ce pas?

Andy wrote

There's two ways those 'Hotshot' dancers can go. They can become 'Great Dancers' or they can stay as they are
    I was just wondering about this, hence my question...

Clear as mud??

Clear as mud??
    Ah, clearer

I know some hotshots who are great dancers, but still hot shots. The people I consider as hot shots normally are great dancers, but unfortunately try the old *I don't recognise you* or *I don't think I'll speak to you THIS week* look etc. That's not to say I don't think they're great dancers; they're fab and I enjoy every second I get on the floor with them, but as people, they're not very kind...

I much prefer making friends in there and making time for those friends...

I understand why they don't want to dance with me as they get nothing out of it, but being that they know me as a person I find it upsetting and personally offensive that they don't want to dance with me just because they know it would really please me.

*rant over*

PS Do you think we should have *out with the hot-shots* on our t-shirts?

Nah, payback needs to be nurtured. One day I'll be a decent dancer (I've set my mind to it for some reason) and that little list of 'Hotshots' (who shall reamin nameless) will come in handy for 'sorry, can't dance right now, my bunions are laying up'. A simple revenge, but enough for me....yep, I'm still miffed, but now its focused...soryy guys, just ignore me.

P.S On a lighter note, Divissima, thanks for the help during the class with that 'un-natural turn', couldn't have done it with out ya You sure you want 2 dances next time ?

I understand why they don't want to dance with me as they get nothing out of it
    No.

It is because they're hotshots that they get nothing out of it, not because they are fab dancers and therefore have nothing to learn.

My guess is that they have a lot more to learn than it appears when you watch them dancing with one of their own small circle of favourites - you only see them dancing in their preferred style, with their preferred partners.

Well BFD, I say. So bloody what if someone can win a comp, look flash doing a showcase, look superior just with the partners they like.

The real greats can do all that AND make a beginner feel great - and everything in between.

Personally, I'd rather make a beginner feel great than win a comp. I'll work my way up from there

Chris

Well BFD, I say. So bloody what if someone can win a comp, look flash doing a showcase, look superior just with the partners they like.
    and I thought we weren't naming names!

and I thought we weren't naming names!
    I have to confess I did have certain specifics in mind

But no names.

Chris

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Hotshot!

I have a perfect example of what I call a HOTSHOT, (one was there last night, so i'm whispering)
    He's someone know KNOWS he a good dancer, only dances with people he conciders are WORTHY of dancing with him and will make HIM look good

They usually dance by the stage, or door, (for maximum audience, adoration)

They say Hello when it suits them and ONLY when it suits them.
    They take up a lot of space and anyone who happens to get in their way, shouldn't be at the venue in the first place!
    If you do actually get a dance with them, they make u feel under extreme pressure, to perform and get the moves right, so as not to **** them off
    After, u must bow to them and tell them how wonderful they are and thank them most grasciously for lowering them selves!
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Surely the point is to make *every* dance really special, whether it is with a beginner, intermediate or advanced dancer . . .

Experiencing a magical moment in partner dancing is only magical when it's shared at least between those two dancers I think, so I'm not too concerned when I'm dancing with someone if they looked 'hot' with someone else - I want to connect with the person I'm dancing with - to an extent it's like a private conversation and a stunning way of getting to know someone - it develops with mutual interest, respect, and I try to put what I've heard/seen before totally to one side and go on a new journey with that person for the space of a couple of songs!

Commercial Operator
    Hotshot Dancers

Firstly, let's clearly define what a 'hotshot' dancer is. Flippantly, I have said that they're 'too good to dance with anyone'. This of course is poetic licence. The do dance with people, but there's only a few people that they consider worthy, let's call this their 'A list'. When us mere mortals ask them for a dance they might even say 'yes'. But they will give you the impression that they're bored or would rather be somewhere else, they might even glance over your shoulder to a watching 'A-list' person and raise their eyebrows. And they never, ever, EVER voluntarily ask a non 'A-list' dancer for a dance and wouldn't be seen dead dancing with a beginner (maybe if they were very sexy but that isn't about dancing, it's about mating!). And the 'dancing with beginners' point is what, more than anything else, separates 'Hotshots' from 'Great Dancers'.

Most 'Hotshot' dancers are usually very good dancers, and they know it. Although there are some people who exhibit 'Hotshot' behaviour traits who aren't really that good. Which brings me to the question 'How do people get the idea that they're good and decide they're 'Hotshots' and that they'll only dance with good dancers'. And the answer is that we tell them. Let's stop telling those 'Hotshots' that they're fantastic and placing them on a pedestal then maybe they'll start behaving like mortals. We, the Proletariat, have created a monster race of 'Hotshots' and it's up to us to start the cull - we should commence a campaign of faint praise by telling them they're quite good and giving them tips on their stance, spinning, hand-hold or something to dent their ego. Look at The Tramp, he was a 'Hotshot' when we first met, now, after a few conversations with me, he thinks of himself as 'just a beginner'

Maybe we should start a charity with the slogan 'Adopt a Hotshot'.

p.s. I like the idea of white shirts. If ChrisA wanted to have a go with the dark shirt transfers on black shirts he could always be the 'negative' version of our positive print. Chris mate, my advice is use cheap shirts because the transfers won't last long.

'How do people get the idea that they're good and decide they're 'Hotshots' and that they'll only dance with good dancers'. And the answer is that we tell them. Let's stop telling those 'Hotshots' that they're fantastic and placing them on a pedestal then maybe they'll start behaving like mortals.
    Well said, sir.

Chris

Hotshot Dancers

...We, the Proletariat, have created a monster race of 'Hotshots' and it's up to us to start the cull - we should commence a campaign of faint praise by telling them they're quite good and giving them tips on their stance, spinning, hand-hold or something to dent their ego...
    Mr McGregor, you are awful..but I like you This may well be put into action A newby going 'hey that wasn't bad! You been doing this long then?'

Pammy, like the logo

Thread Information