Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Eclipse - Any guesses where ????

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Re: Eclipse - Any guesses where ????

Interesting that JA have taken a leaf out of Ceroc's book, branding-wise (i.e. silly names).

Also, the logo looks a bit familiar...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lory View Post
    My guesses are, Caister near Great Yarmouth (I used to go to Soul weekenders there in my youth but have no idea what its like there now but I remember it was big)

5 days till we find out!
    They still have dance weekenders there, but it's thumpy, thumpy club-music, muggle dancing.

Quote Originally Posted by David Bailey View Post
    Interesting that JA have taken a leaf out of Ceroc's book, branding-wise (i.e. silly names).

Also, the logo looks a bit familiar...
    What's your latest idea on how to brand a weekender?

(ie can you come up with anything better?)

Quote Originally Posted by Gav View Post
    They still have dance weekenders there, but it's thumpy, thumpy club-music, muggle dancing.
    Caister is more famous imho for Soul weekenders. And they do it pretty well from people I know who have been.

Looking at the web site - I think it puts a lot of the Ceroc/JA etc to shame - so professional and packed with info.

Check out The World Famous Caister Soul Weekender

I don't think Caister fits with the JA promise of great accommodation - unless you think a caravan/tent is superior to a luxurious Pontins apartment with Dove shower gel. (Hmmm - maybe it is....).

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JiveLad View Post
    What's your latest idea on how to brand a weekender?

(ie can you come up with anything better?)
    As I've said, quite a few times, I think names should have a "default" association, not one that has to be worked for to achieve. They should have a meaning from the get-go.

For example, "Storm" now works - it's the one in Spring at Camber, I think most people can remember that now. But it's taken 2 years for it to establish that identity. "Swish" is quite good also - "the posh one" is easy to remember.

But I could never remember the difference between "Bliss" and "Breeze".

And "Splash"? What was that about? And why on Earth is the Scottish one called "Blaze"?

Both JiveTime and JiveAddiction fell into the same branding trap - their weekenders were known to all as "Camber" and "Southport". The obvious problem is that this brand is not portable. So they had weak branding (Again, I could never remember which "Jiving You Crazy / Wild / Mad" event was which).

Ceroc Escape events have consistent and strong branding, but the actual weekender names themselves are generally not informative. Mostly, any association has to be created, which is hard work.

So, I'd say that Storm and Blaze have (for me) created a brand, through association, and that Swish had such a brand from the start, but that the others haven't done well.

And I can't see any particularly-useful association with the name "Eclipse" either.

As for alternatives...Hmmm... I guess if they're doing one event in Spring, one in Summer and one in Autumn, then possibly some sort of seasonal theme would be in order? Or, possibly a "time of day" brand - "Sunrise" / "Noon" / "Sunset"? Something like that would at least provide an association in terms of time-of-year, if not geographically.

Good grief, this was a short post when I started it...

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Bartholomew View Post
    You guessing England then?

Centreparcs?

Centre Parks may be a little pricey But it would be great .....

Quote Originally Posted by sidney View Post
    My guess Butlins Skegness, that is easy access for everyone to come from all over, and the chalets are better.
    Butlins is a thought... I have been to the Skegness one before and the accommodation was a lot better than Pontins etc.. How about caravans or camping at Haven lol

Guess we will find out at the weekend ....

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Caz View Post
    Butlins is a thought... I have been to the Skegness one before and the accommodation was a lot better than Pontins etc.. How about caravans or camping at Haven lol

Guess we will find out at the weekend ....
    Doubt it would be a Haven as alot of their caravans are privately owned

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Bartholomew View Post
    Doubt it would be a Haven as alot of their caravans are privately owned
    Someone mentioned camping in the blues room lol

The "Partyweekender" in Warmwell (nr Weymouth) is held at a Haven site.

The accommodation is lovely, with spacious and well equipped wooden 'lodges'.

However, certainly at Warmwell they don't allow through the night dancing.

Blog Entries

I heard that Wolsey Hall in Cheshunt was a top contender and there's plenty of room for tents in the car park .

Pontins are off the list I guess. Haven, Butlins, Warner, Centreparcs are all big enough, but are not particularly exciting.

Universities have enough rooms out of term time. Quite a few do business conferences and the like, so they can't all be dumps. The Feb Eclipse dates suggest not.

Conference centres - mostly too small, but Harrogate might be about the right size, with many rooms nearby.

Nightclubs - plenty are big enough. Few have accommodation nearby.

Haileybury - GNSH is here, but limited on-site accommodation.

The Dome/O2 - well it must be good for something!

Personally, I'd book a cruise ship for the weekend. It wouldn't have to leave port. They have lots of rooms and dance floors and decent restaurants. Looking at the cruise websites, you could get rooms from £30-40/night.

PS ... Post 1000 ... Go me!

Quote Originally Posted by FirstMove View Post
    Personally, I'd book a cruise ship for the weekend. It wouldn't have to leave port. They have lots of rooms and dance floors and decent restaurants. Looking at the cruise websites, you could get rooms from £30-40/night.

..........now you're talking

Quote Originally Posted by flipper View Post
    Centre Parks may be a little pricey But it would be great .....
    No it wouldn't be, how far from the cabin to the venue ? in a flolaty dress and heals

Quote Originally Posted by sidney View Post
    My guess Butlins Skegness, that is easy access for everyone to come from all over, and the chalets are better.
    to accomerdation a butlins was the worst I have ever had, well at least as bad Beach Boogie.

As I've said, quite a few times, I think names should have a "default" association, not one that has to be worked for to achieve. They should have a meaning from the get-go.

For example, "Storm" now works - it's the one in Spring at Camber, I think most people can remember that now. But it's taken 2 years for it to establish that identity. "Swish" is quite good also - "the posh one" is easy to remember.

But I could never remember the difference between "Bliss" and "Breeze".

And "Splash"? What was that about? And why on Earth is the Scottish one called "Blaze"?

Both JiveTime and JiveAddiction fell into the same branding trap - their weekenders were known to all as "Camber" and "Southport". The obvious problem is that this brand is not portable. So they had weak branding (Again, I could never remember which "Jiving You Crazy / Wild / Mad" event was which).

Ceroc Escape events have consistent and strong branding, but the actual weekender names themselves are generally not informative. Mostly, any association has to be created, which is hard work.

So, I'd say that Storm and Blaze have (for me) created a brand, through association, and that Swish had such a brand from the start, but that the others haven't done well.

And I can't see any particularly-useful association with the name "Eclipse" either.

As for alternatives...Hmmm... I guess if they're doing one event in Spring, one in Summer and one in Autumn, then possibly some sort of seasonal theme would be in order? Or, possibly a "time of day" brand - "Sunrise" / "Noon" / "Sunset"? Something like that would at least provide an association in terms of time-of-year, if not geographically.

Actually i was amused at the name. I presumed it was a pun, ie they were going to do better and "eclipse" cerocport.

Quote Originally Posted by FirstMove View Post
    That sounds like a brilliant idea! By the very nature of a cruise ship most of the cabins are small, and of course they wouldn't be self catering. But for an all-inclusive (AKA Swish...don't worry, I'm not opening that one up again ) event everything that you need is close by, no problems with the weather etc. etc. That end of the market, i.e a bit up from the Butlins/Pontins boxes, is missing from the MJ scene.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul F View Post
    If JA were ever to run events like this - a large, hotel based convention - I would be there in a flash.

Experience of the US WCS events as well as the Rock Bottoms weekenders makes me drool at the thought of it.
    it would be so cooool

I do hope it's not in Blackpool, though

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Keefy View Post
    That end of the market, i.e a bit up from the Butlins/Pontins boxes, is missing from the MJ scene.
    Does that mean you don't consider Rock Bottom's as part of the MJ scene?

Greg

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by fletch View Post
    No it wouldn't be, how far from the cabin to the venue ? in a flolaty dress and heals
    One word: Segway

And why on Earth is the Scottish one called "Blaze"?
    The hot babes

Both JiveTime and JiveAddiction fell into the same branding trap - their weekenders were known to all as "Camber" and "Southport". The obvious problem is that this brand is not portable.
    A good point, the one word association works better it seems, people always did use "southport" rather than "jiving you wild".

Look, theres that Blush smiley.

Quote Originally Posted by Sheepman View Post
    Does that mean you don't consider Rock Bottom's as part of the MJ scene?
    I do beg Rock Bottoms pardon! Yes, that's the type of thing, but on a bigger scale up there with the huge three room 600+ people events. You could do that on a cruise ship

Thread Information