Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: JUST started - Bloch Evolutions??

JUST started - Bloch Evolutions??

Hi,

i went to my first Ceroc night, - thorougly enjoyed it and I can see myself continuing.. - I'm probably rushing into things.. - but I am considering buying myself some dance trainers, - I really like the look of these - I was wondering what people's thoughts are on these trainers, - and also, whether I should hold off buying any until i'm a little more experienced?

Regards
    Phil

I'm not allowed to post URLs but i would like you to know which trainers i'm considering (the 510's) : w w w blockworld . com / shop / p-405-evolution .aspx

Blog Entries

Re: JUST started - Bloch Evolutions??

Quote Originally Posted by Phil_dB View Post
    Hi,

i went to my first Ceroc night, - thorougly enjoyed it and I can see myself continuing.. - I'm probably rushing into things.. - but I am considering buying myself some dance trainers, - I really like the look of these - I was wondering what people's thoughts are on these trainers, - and also, whether I should hold off buying any until i'm a little more experienced?

Regards
    Phil
    Bloch trainers are a good starting point, but I found they are best for when I'm in them all day long such as a weekender.
    Blochs were my first buy, but looking back now, I think a pair of good leather soled shoes might've been better because I rarely dance in anything else now.
    Whatever you go for, best of luck and welcome to the forum.
    Gav.

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

I brought some Blochs. I use them as my day to day trainners now as they are compfy but bad to dance in (note they are not the split soled ones).

Decent real dance shoes are the way to go. Leather or Suede soles

Cool Re: JUST started - Bloch Evolutions??

I would avoid those clumpy trainer type dance shoes and head to the leather shoes as the other guys have already suggested too. Suede soles

I completely agree! Blochs are comfy, but they tend to make people dance very flat footed and clumpy. I'd go with proper, suede soled dance shoes.

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I don't think dance trainers bring out the best in anyones dancing, I'd take all the above advice and go for a good pair of dance shoes!

IMO they look much nicer too!
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Commercial Operator

I think the advice about leather soled shoes is right. If I only had one pair of dance shoes they be leather soled dance shoes. However, I've had LOADS of dance shoes over the years. I think the clumpy soled Bloch shoes are wrong for jive. However, I have 3 pairs of Bloch "Stealth" trainers and think they're fab. The sole is much thinner, they weigh almost nothing and come in a choice of colours.

Hi,

Regards
    Phil

I'm not allowed to post URLs but i would like you to know which trainers i'm considering (the 510's) : w w w blockworld . com / shop / p-405-evolution .aspx
    Looking at the Blochworld webpage (for which, by the way, it would not have been a problem providing a proper hyperlink) it seems they have revamped and perhaps reduced their range of sneakers.

I've been very happy with my Bloch Stealths which are a low profile model, and capable of crossing the car park unharmed. But apparently they've been discontinued and perhaps replaced by the Fusion model which seems to be the lowest profile Bloch now available. Your possible choice, the Evolutions, appear to be of medium profile. When people refer to Blochs looking clumpy they are mainly referring to the high profile models. At their most 'orrible when worn with shorts !!!

Be aware that if you go for proper dance shoes the soles will require some 'breaking in' and could ultimately be too slippy or 'fast' for a novice dancer.

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Whitebeard View Post
    I've been very happy with my Bloch Stealths which are a low profile model, and capable of crossing the car park unharmed. But apparently they've been discontinued
    Noooo!

I'm dashing off to Felix and buying all the pairs in my size.

Quote Originally Posted by Filthy Monkey View Post
    I completely agree! Blochs are comfy, but they tend to make people dance very flat footed and clumpy. I'd go with proper, suede soled dance shoes.
    I only dance in Bloch's trainers, and I've never been told I'm "very flat footed and clumpy". Perhaps people are just being kind...

Not long after I started dancing I bought a pair of good suede-soled shoes. They made my feet hurt. I then bought some Bloch's, and have never looked back.

Phil, I suggest you buy the Bloch's, and see what they're like. It's easy enough to buy different shoes if you find they don't suit you.
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ducasi View Post
    I only dance in Bloch's trainers, and I've never been told I'm "very flat footed and clumpy". Perhaps people are just being kind...

Phil, I suggest you buy the Bloch's, and see what they're like. It's easy enough to buy different shoes if you find they don't suit you.
    But then £50 odd is alot to spend on finding out if you like something.

Try finding a local dance shoe shop. At least you can try them on.

Also try asking the Taxi dancers / Crew at your local event what they prefer.

I have a pair of Klassic which I brought just to do out door demos as I can not dance in them at all. Too much grip on the sole.

Commercial Operator

Not long after I started dancing I bought a pair of good suede-soled shoes. They made my feet hurt.
    Some leather shoes can make your feet hurt when you start wearing them. I'm never sure if your feet change shape or toughen up to suit the shoes or the shoes change to fit your feet. Whatever it is, they stop hurting after a few wearings. My advice with new shoes is to wear them for an hour the first time you put them on or until they start to hurt. Then change into something you know is comfy. Also, I buy soft insoles for my leather soled shoes which makes them really comfortable.

My reason for my dislike of those clumpy looking Blochs is not the look. Although they do look clumpy, so many people wear them you get lost in the herd. The reason I don't like them is because I own a pair and found that I had to adjust the way I danced to suit the shoes. And then I couldn't dance in any of my other shoes without a period of acclimatization. In the end I stopped wearing them altogether. The only good thing I can say about them is that they are very comfortable.

Finally, let's talk about what clumpy means and what it is not. Clumpy shoes are a bit like platform shoes, they have blunt toes, thick soles and thick heels and look slightly like bricks, especially in red - this is not pretty. There is a way of dancing that gives ladies "pretty feet": this is impossible in clumpy shoes with a large sole and a blunt toe - even in pink ones! I think that guys do not need pretty feet so clumpy shoes are less of a no-no. But you really don't need to get them when there's so many alternatives.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy McGregor View Post
    Some leather shoes can make your feet hurt when you start wearing them. I'm never sure if your feet change shape or toughen up to suit the shoes or the shoes change to fit your feet. Whatever it is, they stop hurting after a few wearings. My advice with new shoes is to wear them for an hour the first time you put them on or until they start to hurt. Then change into something you know is comfy. Also, I buy soft insoles for my leather soled shoes which makes them really comfortable.
    I gave them a good chance. I danced in nothing else for over 3 months. I couldn't "change into something [I] know is comfy", as they were my first and only pair of dance shoes.

The main problem I had was that they did not have sufficient arch support for me, and so I got sore feet. When I tried adding extra arch supports to them, I got bruised arches.

Perhaps my feet have gotten used to comfy shoes – I don't wear "proper" shoes at all much. I figure that if my feet are used to nice comfy shoes during the day when I'm not asking them to do much; then in the evening when I'm abusing them with my dancing, I shouldn't punish them even more with hard-soled shoes.
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

Even if you a bloke
    You can’t have too many shoes
    So go on, engage in some retail therapy

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Andy McGregor View Post

I own a pair and found that I had to adjust the way I danced to suit the shoes.
    Different shoes, have a major affect on my dance style and I don't like how dance in trainers.

Plus, if you really get into dancing and suddenly there's a 'ball' or a glitzy Christmas party, what are you going to wear with your Tux?

Boys and girls, Blocks are not a good look with 'evening wear'
    Last edited by Lory; 6th-September-2008 at 12:35 PM.
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lory View Post

Boys and girls, Blocks are not a good look with 'evening wear'
    Or with short skirts (I wont post the clip)

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Bartholomew View Post
    Or with short skirts (I wont post the clip)
    I know the one you mean

Thanks everyone for all your comments, - all read with great interest!

Where to begin to reply!??!

I would love to post the trainers I am refering to, some people here are saying "bloch's are clumpy" - "I love my Bloch's and dont find them clumpy" - which type of Bloch's are you refering to?

Whitebeard - I am not allowed to provide a proper hyperlink until I have posted 15 times, - i've just tried, again. I couldn't find the Bloch Stealth's that you mentioned.

The Block Boost DRT SO538's are what were recommended to me by one of the intructors, - he had some on, and they look REALLY clumply!

As said, the Evolutions are lower profile than these, - a shop near me is ordering some of them in, so I will try them on in about a week's time & let you know what I think. I actually missed the 'Fusions' - they dont look bad, I wouldnt mind trying them on, i'm going to give the shop another ring & see if they have them so i could try them out also.

Black trainers will suit the clothes I wear to Ceroc, - I'll worry about going to a ball in a Tux if/when the time comes - like ducasi - I don't wear 'proper shoes' that often either...

If anyone can suggest any other trainers similar to the Evolution's or Fusion's i'd be very grateful!

Thanks again everyone!
    Phil

Blog Entries

Whitebeard - I am not allowed to provide a proper hyperlink until I have posted 15 times, - i've just tried, again. I couldn't find the Bloch Stealth's that you mentioned.
    Ah - that'll probably be Franck making a recent change. There was a spate of spammers posting links to their websites not that long ago, so he probably set up something to catch them out then.

You'll just have to post more, Phil!

If anyone can suggest any other trainers similar to the Evolution's or Fusion's i'd be very grateful!
    I've said about them on here before, but I'm a recent convert to Sansha trainers. I was recommended them, and I bought a pair with suede soles, as I like to spin & I find normal dance trainers quite restrictive.

And they're cheaper than Blochs.

Ah - thanks Lou

Thread Information