Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: New Southport suggestions

Re: New Southport suggestions

Quote Originally Posted by stewart38 View Post

To be fair the pub quizzes at Camber at least have been very popular

If its going to happen at Southport the location of where it takes place is important

This forum is dancing mad but given the numbers it would be unfair to suggest there isn’t a need or even a desire for a pub quiz
    I do the pub quizes at Camber and love them, but I don't want them in the blues room at SP.

There is a commitee been formed at the moment to 'over see' the transition, i'm sure all sugestion will be disscussed.

the best thing being able to dance 24 hours a day not kicking us out at 4/5/6am sort of thing even u know getting a laptop full of wicked tracks and just letting it play at the stupid hour if u get me..

Quote Originally Posted by sway View Post
    the best thing being able to dance 24 hours a day not kicking us out at 4/5/6am sort of thing even u know getting a laptop full of wicked tracks and just letting it play at the stupid hour if u get me..
    I get you, and i'm with you on that one hun,

1. Please make it less dark in the Latin room, I seriously considered using a torch in there.

2. One or two fans in the blues room would certainly not go amiss

3. Put as many of the fans as possible in a slightly elevated position - by that I mean at around chest height. I know this wont be possible for all or even most of the fans in use but a few elevated fans in each room would be great as it makes cooling off so much easier. You could at least put some fans on the edge of each stage facing the dance floor.

Quote Originally Posted by Lost Leader View Post
    1. Please make it less dark in the Latin room, I seriously considered using a torch in there.

2. One or two fans in the blues room would certainly not go amiss

3. Put as many of the fans as possible in a slightly elevated position - by that I mean at around chest height. I know this wont be possible for all or even most of the fans in use but a few elevated fans in each room would be great as it makes cooling off so much easier. You could at least put some fans on the edge of each stage facing the dance floor.
    I agree on the use of more fans, the fans on the stage would be a bit of a bad idea IMHO as it would mess up alot of the girlies hair, and we know how upset some girls can get when there hair is messed with

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

It's a Latin Room. It's supposed to be dark. Unfortunately, it's far too large for proper Latin seediness

Hmmm, not sure about that. I think that fans are most effective at a low-level, aren't they?

...2. One or two fans in the blues room would certainly not go amiss.
    I've never been... are you saying there are/were NO fans in the Blues room at all?? No wonder people always seemed to complain about the heat - and that should be an easy problem to solve.

Quote Originally Posted by David Bailey View Post
    ...Hmmm, not sure about that. I think that fans are most effective at a low-level, aren't they?
    I agree with DB, about skirt height is best..

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
    Pretty much all of what you say makes sense and some parts have also been covered by other people, especially the music classification issue - that's why Ceroc moved away from the term 'Blues' room and replaced it with 'Chill Out Zone' some time ago. I personally don't think the term is perfect, but along with the explanation that goes with it, it does clearly explain that it is a mix of slower music.
    To me, the term 'chill out zone' has a very different meaning to 'blues room'. In a blues room, I'd expect to be challenged, and have potentially very exciting and inspiring dances. In a chill-out zone, I'd expect soothing non-challenging music, which can be an aspect of late-night blues, but only represents a tiny part of what a good blues room should (in my opinion) be offering.

Simply put - the term 'Chill Out Zone' is in no way a draw for me.

Dickie Davies' love-child Cruella's Avatar

I've never been... are you saying there are/were NO fans in the Blues room at all?? No wonder people always seemed to complain about the heat - and that should be an easy problem to solve.
    There isn't really enough space for fans in the blues room. Also it has most of one side open to the outside so it's not as hot as you might think.
    The Latin room smelt awful this time so Ceroc might want to invest in some air freshners.

Quote Originally Posted by straycat View Post
    To me, the term 'chill out zone' has a very different meaning to 'blues room'. In a blues room, I'd expect to be challenged, and have potentially very exciting and inspiring dances. In a chill-out zone, I'd expect soothing non-challenging music, which can be an aspect of late-night blues, but only represents a tiny part of what a good blues room should (in my opinion) be offering.

Simply put - the term 'Chill Out Zone' is in no way a draw for me.
    The trouble, as we've seen from the term 'Blues' is that people quite rightly expect 'Blues style' music (although even that is a very subjective term for many people). The term 'Chill Out', as used within a dance weekender sense, simply separates it in style and pace from the up-tempo music of the main room. So it is just a room where you can dance to slower music of all genres - challenging and non-challenging. As I said, not perfect, but most people accept the definition these days.

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

The trouble, as we've seen from the term 'Blues' is that people quite rightly expect 'Blues style' music (although even that is a very subjective term for many people). The term 'Chill Out', as used within a dance weekender sense, simply separates it in style and pace from the up-tempo music of the main room. So it is just a room where you can dance to slower music of all genres - challenging and non-challenging. As I said, not perfect, but most people accept the definition these days.
    thats the best post you have ever posted

Quote Originally Posted by Cruella View Post
    There isn't really enough space for fans in the blues room. Also it has most of one side open to the outside so it's not as hot as you might think.
    The Latin room smelt awful this time so Ceroc might want to invest in some air freshners.
    Not sure air freshners will make much of a difference if it's as bad as you say - there's obviously an underlying problem with the room itself - No windows? Rank carpet? Pile of toe nail clippings and bunion scrapings in the corner? A wet haddock or a recently deceased badger placed behind a radiator somewhere?

.....just too bad to bear this time......... maybe a few hundred air freshners in the Latin Room and then a few hundred more for the chalets, the smell of damp in our chalet when we arrived this time was disgusting and even after several scented candles, a whole can of Glade and a visit from the resident Kim and Aggie the smell was still unbearable. The accommodation really is getting beyond acceptable now.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe View Post
    thats the best post you have ever posted
    Get way with you! Surely my lighthearted digs at Caro and Cru are my finest work?

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger Pants View Post
    .....just too bad to bear this time......... maybe a few hundred air freshners in the Latin Room and then a few hundred more for the chalets, the smell of damp in our chalet when we arrived this time was disgusting and even after several scented candles, a whole can of Glade and a visit from the resident Kim and Aggie the smell was still unbearable. The accommodation really is getting beyond acceptable now.
    I'm not sure damp is the problem in the chalets. We had one at Camber last year that smelt of cat p1ss (and Cat wasn't even teaching on the w/e) Even with industrial fumigation it remained. We tracked it down by using an ovulating woman (keener sense of smell than a blood hound and cheaper to feed). It seemed to be coming from beneath the sink area and/or behind the kitchen cupboards. I think the smell is more to do with small plumbing leaks. Having said that, I've never been to SP so there may be damp too in the odd chalet.

It goes without saying that Mike can't overhaul the chalets and put a damp course in the Latin room as part of the w/e. But he is charging a fairer price and I think that goes someway to reducing people's expectations of luxury accomodation.

......na definately damp.........the sofa bed was identified by me as the source of the problem (non smoker for seven weeks now, so smells now my new friends), I pulled it away from the wall and it was covered in white mould. Pontins did replace it, but honestly the smell did not go all weekend. The level of filth really was much higher this time.

I've not found the heat in the blues room to be a problem. I like going in there to cool off as the doors are open and the music is generally slower. Just walking into the main room on the Saturday was like a sauna. Still fab though

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger Pants View Post
    ......na definately damp.........the sofa bed was identified by me as the source of the problem (non smoker for seven weeks now, so smells now my new friends), I pulled it away from the wall and it was covered in white mould. Pontins did replace it, but honestly the smell did not go all weekend. The level of filth really was much higher this time.
    I am amazed that it took a resident complaint before they spotted it. They must just vacuum (if indeed they do that at all) AROUND the furniture

The chalet I was in this weekend was bad. Possibly the worst I have been in.

It takes an expert level of coordination and balance to walk around without my bare feet touching the floor

This is the one thing I am most definately not going to miss about Pontins. Yuk

.............The Latin room smelt awful this time so Ceroc might want to invest in some air freshners.
    You are being very polite Cruella - I couldn't even stay in there the smell was so bad - they need to clean or get rid of those carpets

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky
    ...... A wet haddock or a recently deceased badger placed behind a radiator somewhere?
    combined with body odour
    Last edited by Minnie M; 16th-September-2008 at 03:16 PM.

--ooOoo--
    Age is a question of mind over matter, if you don't mind, it doesn't matter
    Leroy (Satchel) Paige (1906-1982)

Mickey Mouse's girlfriend, Minnie, made her film debut, along with Mickey, in "Steamboat Willie" on November 18, 1928.
    That date is recognized as her official birthday.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul F View Post
    I am amazed that it took a resident complaint before they spotted it. They must just vacuum (if indeed they do that at all) AROUND the furniture

The chalet I was in this weekend was bad. Possibly the worst I have been in.

It takes an expert level of coordination and balance to walk around without my bare feet touching the floor

This is the one thing I am most definately not going to miss about Pontins. Yuk
    As gay as it may sound, I would always advise the use of some form of shower sandal for use in any holiday resort room. In that way one can saunter around with a carefree nature delightfully oblivious to the stains underfoot. I would also advise the you NEVER, and I do mean NEVER take an ultra violet light into a darkened chalet....

Tune in tomorrow for advice on lavatory rolls, face cream and kitchen accoutremon..

Thread Information