View Poll Results: What do we think about Ceroc taking over Southport dates from Jive Addiction?

Voters
98. You may not vote on this poll
  • I think there was nothing wrong with Ceroc taking over Southport dates from Jive Addiction

21 21.43%
  • I think it was wrong for Ceroc to take over Southport dates from Jive Addiction

64 65.31%
  • I think that an event run by Ceroc at Southport will be better or as good as Jive Addiction's

27 27.55%
  • I think that an event run by Ceroc at Southport will NOT be better or as good as Jive Addiction's

41 41.84%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Southport Jive Weekender Poll

Commercial Operator

Re: Southport Jive Weekender Poll

Quote Originally Posted by David Bailey View Post
    In other words, I agree with Andy.

I'm speechless ....

Fortunately, private polls can't be changed by anyone once set up; neither can their results be seen by anyone. (Yes, that includes us mods).

In other words, private means private - if you want a public poll, set one up in the first place.
    Errr.... I'm afraid that is not strictly true DB. You are correct in that the status can't be changed and that ordinary Mods can't see anything, but a SysAdmin or somebody with database access can.

Within the vB SysAdmin control panel there is a 'Who Voted' function which can show a SysAdmin who has voted, even in a private poll, it does not however tell you how they voted. But the poll itself is held in the database table 'poll' and the table 'pollvote' will actually tell you who voted and what on despite the status of the poll.

It would take Frank or somebody with his access to dig it out, I don't for one second believe that it would happen or there is any point in it. But hey folks, it is the internet, it isn't private, if you know where to look there's all kinds of stuff around

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Minnie M View Post
    I thought this was end January ??? What date have you got please Lory ?
    Sorry, my mistake I meant two weeks before!!!
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Quote Originally Posted by Keefy View Post
    Errr.... I'm afraid that is not strictly true DB. You are correct in that the status can't be changed and that ordinary Mods can't see anything, but a SysAdmin or somebody with database access can.

Within the vB SysAdmin control panel there is a 'Who Voted' function which can show a SysAdmin who has voted, even in a private poll, it does not however tell you how they voted. But the poll itself is held in the database table 'poll' and the table 'pollvote' will actually tell you who voted and what on despite the status of the poll.

It would take Frank or somebody with his access to dig it out, I don't for one second believe that it would happen or there is any point in it. But hey folks, it is the internet, it isn't private, if you know where to look there's all kinds of stuff around
    Umm err umm err I have a bronse swimming certificate, if thats any help?

DTS XXX XXX

Quote Originally Posted by dave the scaffolder View Post
    Umm err umm err I have a bronse swimming certificate, if thats any help?
    I've got one thanks, sewn onto my anorak

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Errr.... I'm afraid that is not strictly true DB.
    { snip complicated stuff }
    Geek

Quote Originally Posted by Lory View Post
    Sorry, my mistake I meant two weeks before!!!
    Does it clash with Cerocport ?

--ooOoo--
    Age is a question of mind over matter, if you don't mind, it doesn't matter
    Leroy (Satchel) Paige (1906-1982)

Mickey Mouse's girlfriend, Minnie, made her film debut, along with Mickey, in "Steamboat Willie" on November 18, 1928.
    That date is recognized as her official birthday.

Geek
    Guilty as charged

Not that I'm aware.

Basically, I think Ceroc HQ just generally ignore us and think of us as a bunch of unrepresentative loudmouths....
    Thats sad but possibly true.

funny the only people who have recognised the forum are John and Wes they put on a gathering for us on the friday and a BBQ on the Saturday. they also seem to take on boad comments made by the forum.

what was the name of this forum again?

I know I'm contradicting my "Too many SP threads" stance, but I'm sooo tempted to do a "Vote for The 20" thread

flip me its getting common it used to be 10

I hope some more details come out soon... as I said before, I want to be able to make 'an informed choice'

I think one of the biggest downsides to this whole business is, 'The 10' might become divided.

Each organiser will no doubt do whatever it takes to 'out do' the other, i.e the best teachers, 24 hour dancing, fab music choice, good floors, air con etc etc (which is great for the punter) but if the core, that used to go to JA's Southport, is divided, then neither weekender will ever be as good! (which is very bad for the punter )

This is true!

But I'm dreading the inevitable 'who's going to which weekender poll?

I don't need to know who's going

I don't need to know who's teaching

I don't need to know who's DJing.

some people lead and some follow.

I will be there, on my return I will post my honest opinion about the weekend, the differences, the good the bad.

I don't want to wait to hear from others i'll make my own mind up, and I can only do that by been there, weather I go again remains to be seen.

Maybe i'll just have to wait and see where 'the 10' go? :
    so Lorry where are you going

your not waiting to be told are you, leave that to the sheep

barrrrrr

Quote Originally Posted by fletch
    .............funny the only people who have recognised the forum are John and Wes they put on a gathering for us on the friday and a BBQ on the Saturday.......
    Actually the BBQ is a private thing which I usually organise, and over the years has become a bit of a tradition. This year John & Wes very kindly bought the BBQ party a free standing Barbie

There are many Barbies going on at all the weekend event, this one was originally aimed at the forum people and has grown from that. We also had a picnic on route, but as I was the main instigator of that, due to the bad weather on the last one I have stopped organising it.

What J & W have added (out of their own pockets) was the morning after breakfast Franco followed by this by giving the 'last one standing/dancing" a voucher for a pair of dancing shoes.

--ooOoo--
    Age is a question of mind over matter, if you don't mind, it doesn't matter
    Leroy (Satchel) Paige (1906-1982)

Mickey Mouse's girlfriend, Minnie, made her film debut, along with Mickey, in "Steamboat Willie" on November 18, 1928.
    That date is recognized as her official birthday.

Quote Originally Posted by fletch View Post
    funny the only people who have recognised the forum are John and Wes they put on a gathering for us on the friday and a BBQ on the Saturday. they also seem to take on boad comments made by the forum.

what was the name of this forum again?
    Huh?

Do you think that Franck doesn't "recognise" his own forum? And Rocky has asked us for input as to what we would like at "Cerocport".

There's lots of people besides John and Wes who have recognised the forum, read the comments, and act on them.

The name of this forum is the Ceroc Scotland forum – it is not run by Ceroc Enterprises.
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

Quote Originally Posted by Minnie M View Post

What J & W have added (out of their own pockets) was the morning after breakfast Franco followed by this by giving the 'last one standing/dancing" a voucher for a pair of dancing shoes.
    I remember I have a fab photo of me and Tazmanuan Devil in my purse of us reciving the first ever vouchers, goodness I look rooooof

Quote Originally Posted by ducasi View Post
    Huh?

Do you think that Franck doesn't "recognise" his own forum? And Rocky has asked us for input as to what we would like at "Cerocport".

There's lots of people besides John and Wes who have recognised the forum, read the comments, and act on them.

The name of this forum is the Ceroc Scotland forum – it is not run by Ceroc Enterprises.
    let me put it another way,

I have been asked in to past, to ask the forum question on improving SP one of the things J&W wanted to know was marquee or not? and it wasn't worth them getting in to trouble asking, so I posted it. (pathetic) but I have watched time and time again the pettiness on this forum,

how many sleeps before SP

IMO J&W actively seek in put and iv not seen in any other schedule with anything laid on specifically for the forum, yes lots read and some post, i'm meant specifically recognising this forum and members.

Unhappy Re: Southport Jive Weekender Poll

Quote Originally Posted by SPROGGS View Post
    Yet again we see Ceroc steamrolling their way to UK domination. In the end it will be BAD for dancers and you will all pay dearly. Sadly this time they have shafted Jive Addiction (Jon & Wes) who have worked really hard to get the Stockport Weekenders where they are today. The trouble is that if Ceroc get a sniff of an independent organiser making a success of something they decide they want a piece of the action - So here they go again trampling all in their path as they had previously done with Franco and other organisers.

Jive Addiction have taken weekenders to new heights by using their skills to understand the market and give dancers what they want.

We have now lost another excellent independent weekender venue to the Ceroc Franchise. Ceroc are stifling the dance entrepreneur and have yet again demonstrated they are unable to use their own initiative to create/develop their own events/venues instead they prefer use dubious practices to crush others. This is really bad news for all UK Dancers so who is next?

The individuals from Ceroc responsible for this dance disaster should be ashamed of themselves, and in future use their own expertise (if they have any) to create their own weekends instead of the insidious way they steal the existing dates and venues of independent organisers. In the end they will squeeze the pockets of every dancer who supports them. I for one will not be one of them.

My view is that Ceroc are the McDonalds of dancing so we are all going to end up with dancing Indigestion. Monopolies are never any good in the long run, and again Ceroc have again demonstrated avarice.

Finally I would like to thank Franco, Jon & Wes & the Rockbottoms team for the service they have done for us all, and hopefully continue to do so. By making Dance Weekenders and Holidays such great fun with new and groundbreaking ideas and events.

I feel the same, as this thred

Quote Originally Posted by Silent smiler View Post
    I feel the same, as this thred
    It's a post not a thred, I mean thread.

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Double Trouble View Post
    It's a post not a thred, I mean thread.
    Of course, you realise, it's "ageing" not "aging"...

Of course, you realise, it's "ageing" not "aging"...
    Bugger....you got me.

I have never been to southport so have no idea how long it has been running etc. But would have thought it was pretty obvious that ceroc were going to bully jive addiction out of the picture, it is after all, a business and not a charity, and that is how businesses are run. I was always surprised that ceroc allowed its teachers and crew to show their faces at such events, its kind of like supporting the enemy. I think that if there are too many spin offs from ceroc it is not always good for the punter, in that everything becomes watered down, and venues are half empty(am talking about freestyles here), which is never good. I suppose there is always a danger when someone has the monopoly that it is open to abuse as in pricing etc, but would have thought ceroc realise that people dont like being ripped off and remain pretty realistic about such things. Its called the real world irrespective of whether we like it or not.

But hey folks, it is the internet, it isn't private, if you know where to look there's all kinds of stuff around
    #

I have often wondered about Private Messages on forums - both this and others.

Can a sysadmin actually see the content of private messages shared between users? I am guessing that these too are resident in back end tables.

If so, would it be easy to find out the content or would it, again, need the help of a techy person?

Does it really matter!

You pay your money and take your chance (or whatever the cliche' is!)

These polls are pointless, you only get cross-section of those who actually want to vote, not the whole of the dance community, and the vote usually only reflects their last weekender experience anyway.

If there is a dance weekender that is in your travelling distance and at a time that you are happy to go away it doesn't matter if it is Ceroc, JA, or any one of the hundreds of independants does it. I thought it was all about dancing, not one upmanship. My vote is no vote!

Thread Information