View Poll Results: What do we think about Ceroc taking over Southport dates from Jive Addiction?

Voters
98. You may not vote on this poll
  • I think there was nothing wrong with Ceroc taking over Southport dates from Jive Addiction

21 21.43%
  • I think it was wrong for Ceroc to take over Southport dates from Jive Addiction

64 65.31%
  • I think that an event run by Ceroc at Southport will be better or as good as Jive Addiction's

27 27.55%
  • I think that an event run by Ceroc at Southport will NOT be better or as good as Jive Addiction's

41 41.84%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Southport Jive Weekender Poll

Re: Southport Jive Weekender Poll

Quote Originally Posted by David Bailey View Post
    Yeah. see, this is where we disagree.

As I said here , I don't buy these "moral ownership" arguments - from either side of the camp.
    I don't buy the moral argument either.

But I think the point needed to be made given that a few have accused Ceroc of 'stealing' dancers from JA's customer base. And the point is that JA have had no qualms about 'stealing' dancers from other organisations customer bases for years.

*shrug* As I said, AFAIAC neither is doing anything wrong, legally or morally, but pot, kettle, black and all that.

Yeah. see, this is where we disagree.

As I said here , I don't buy these "moral ownership" arguments - from either side of the camp.
    It's not a moral ownership argument, David. It's stating fact. Most of the people attending JAs' weekenders were taught to dance by Ceroc. Why shouldn't Ceroc continue to capitilise on the market it has created? I'm all for competition, but it works both ways.

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Filthy Monkey View Post
    It's not a moral ownership argument, David. It's stating fact. Most of the people attending JAs' weekenders were taught to dance by Ceroc. Why shouldn't Ceroc continue to capitilise on the market it has created? I'm all for competition, but it works both ways.
    Well, I don't think we're really disagreeing.

I've no problem with Ceroc expanding its business into any area it wants to - what I have a problem with is whenever brings in the "But they're our punters / DJs / teachers and you're stealing them" argument.

Because, as TA Guy says, it works both ways.

Commercial Operator Swinging bee's Avatar

Yeah - at this point, I've read the same flippin' email 3 times on this forum now.

In future, if I see it again, I'm going to delete it as spam.

To err is only human whereas forgiveness is divine....

Quote Originally Posted by TA Guy View Post
    I don't buy the moral argument either.

But I think the point needed to be made given that a few have accused Ceroc of 'stealing' dancers from JA's customer base. And the point is that JA have had no qualms about 'stealing' dancers from other organisations customer bases for years.

*shrug* As I said, AFAIAC neither is doing anything wrong, legally or morally, but pot, kettle, black and all that.
    Why is it that you are still talking about somebody stealing customers / dancers.

The customers ie ME are not stupid, we will look at cost, who the teachers are, DJ's etc and whether our friends are going. Then we will book, if we are not happy we can tell the organisers and if they are happy to receive constructive criticisms the chances are we will go back if not its there loss not ours.

Nobody is beating us with a stick to make us change our allegiance, as I said in an earlier post I want CHOICE and then I can make my CHOICE.

Quote Originally Posted by SPROGGS View Post
    Forums are all about discussion, and from the private comments sent to me I appear to have polarised them.

It really does not reflect well on the Ceroc Franchise. You really should have come up with a credible alternative to the “Jive Addiction” weekenders at Southport by introducing another opportunity for dancers into the Weekender calendar somewhere else in the UK, rather that steal yet another organisations Events and Venues.

This is getting to be a habit that I find very distasteful.

Are you that insecure?

4yrs on the forum ,11 rep points and from 'Planet anywhere'. I think ceroc must be

Who are you whats your club whats your beef with ceroc ?

I dont agree with what ceoc have done but its business, will it be better who knows ?

Ps I think Pontins might have had a input in the final decison

I have read all the Southport controversy with interest and would just like to say that whilst I feel sad for the JA team about what has happened, unfortunately nothing stays the same in life and I expect this will drive them to new and potentially exciting heights ! What I personally will miss at the new "Cerocport" are the characters like CJ who is such an inspirational teacher and dancer as well as any forumites who might decide not to attend in future.

However, it seems to me that one of the best features of SP is the convenient layout of rooms that can be easily moved between. Also the presence of what might be called "The Scottish Contingent" of forumites who only seem to appear at Southport (what is it about Scottish dancers? ....). Hopefully they will continue to attend and I am really excited about meeting the legendary Franck finally and getting one of those thrilling connection lessons!

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Easily Led View Post
    (what is it about Scottish dancers? ....). Hopefully they will continue to attend and I am really excited about meeting the legendary Franck finally and getting one of those thrilling connection lessons!

I think you have answered your own question there.

Quote Originally Posted by Easily Led View Post
    I am really excited about meeting the legendary Franck

Gawd 'elp us. You make him sound like Rob fekkin Roy. LL must have it cushy if you are so easily excited.

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry View Post
    we will look at cost, who the teachers are, DJ's etc and whether our friends are going. Then we will book,
    I hope some more details come out soon... as I said before, I want to be able to make 'an informed choice'

if we are not happy we can tell the organisers and if they are happy to receive constructive criticisms the chances are we will go back if not its there loss not ours
    I think one of the biggest downsides to this whole business is, 'The 10' might become divided.

Each organiser will no doubt do whatever it takes to 'out do' the other, i.e the best teachers, 24 hour dancing, fab music choice, good floors, air con etc etc (which is great for the punter) but if the core, that used to go to JA's Southport, is divided, then neither weekender will ever be as good! (which is very bad for the punter )

Nobody is beating us with a stick to make us change our allegiance,
    This is true!

But I'm dreading the inevitable 'who's going to which weekender poll?
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Just had a look at the description for cerocport on their site and was disappointed to see that they have three teaching rooms but are only running two evening freestyle rooms. This cannot help but lead to a reduced choice in music available. A lot of the proposed lessons look quite beginner-intermediate as well.

Quote Originally Posted by cat View Post
    Just had a look at the description for cerocport on their site and was disappointed to see that they have three teaching rooms but are only running two evening freestyle rooms. This cannot help but lead to a reduced choice in music available. A lot of the proposed lessons look quite beginner-intermediate as well.
    That does sound disappointing ...so DT I am less excited now .

Quote Originally Posted by Lory View Post
    I think one of the biggest downsides to this whole business is, 'The 10' might become divided.
    IMO this is the key issue.

I know some people downplay the importance and even relevance of the vocal minority on here when it comes to matters of dance events but I believe that this forum plays a bigger part than some give it credit for.

It has been said in the past that those who post on here are generally the more experienced dancers. In that respect it seems to me that the community of dancers on here are responsible, in a fairly large part, to how things go now with weekenders. It stands to reason that the thoughts, recommendations and opinions from this forum ripple out to a much larger community.

I will state that the single biggest reason for me to enjoy Southport is that I know there will be a huge collection of fantastic/experienced dancers there. Whether they play blues, indie or hungarian folk music I know I will enjoy playing with people
    I believe it is largely down to this forum that all the people that I love dancing with go to Southport.

Erm, I cant remember why Im writing this

edit:: There was a point to this
    Last edited by Paul F; 5th-September-2008 at 03:46 PM.

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Paul F View Post
    I know I will enjoy playing with people
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

or multiplied even

I know I'm contradicting my "Too many SP threads" stance, but I'm sooo tempted to do a "Vote for The 20" thread

But I'm dreading the inevitable 'who's going to which weekender poll?
    Welcome to my world.

One of my favourite playful followers once remarked that she was 'toying' with me

Quote Originally Posted by Paul F View Post
    It has been said in the past that those who post on here are generally the more experienced dancers. In that respect it seems to me that the community of dancers on here are responsible, in a fairly large part, to how things go now with weekenders.

I will state that the single biggest reason for me to enjoy Southport is that I know there will be a huge collection of fantastic/experienced dancers there.
    I don't know if I agree with this. If you go to a weekender and one of the principal attractions is dancing with lots of other forumites then I guess it's true but, as Stokie (I think) pointed out, in the wider scheme of things most people's dance weekends go by unaffected by the existence of the forum or presence of forumites.

And experienced dancer doesn't necessarily equate to fantastic dancer - though in fairness you haven't said that it does.

Somebody just neg repped me with this
    "For goodness sake quit your petty stirring and get your facts right. It clearly says 3 rooms of dancing."

Since they did not put there name i was unable to pm to tell them i am not trying to stir but just commenting on ceroc's own website which under more event information and freestyle states

"Freestyle Dancing
    The evenings will consist of 2 rooms of different music played by bringing together the biggest line-up of DJ's ever on the scene, where there will be lots of opportunities for the DJ's to play a real eclectic mix of music as well as regular sounds so that you can dance through until the early hours."

If this is inaccurate I apolgise but as you can see it was taken accurately from cerocs website.

Commercial Operator Swinging bee's Avatar

Michel Lau.....does this all sound familiar....?

Quote Originally Posted by robd View Post
    I don't know if I agree with this. If you go to a weekender and one of the principal attractions is dancing with lots of other forumites then I guess it's true but, as Stokie (I think) pointed out, in the wider scheme of things most people's dance weekends go by unaffected by the existence of the forum or presence of forumites.
    I see what you mean but I really do believe that the hype that Southport carries with it has been generated largely by this forum, the people on it and those that hear opinions generated from it.

Its not so much that i think people go to dance with forumites. I think its more that the small'ish body of dancers on here have been responsible for spreading the word.

In that vein I forsee the future of any resultant events (Ceroc or JA) being affected in a large part by this forum. The "Who's going where effect".

I dont think it should be underestimated.

Thread Information