Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bedroom talk..

Re: Bedroom talk..

For me, after many years with different feathery duvets, I realised I prefer the man made varieties.

I prefer my bed to be made by a woman though - although I am happy to throw a pillow into place if need be.

Speaking of pillows - I have to discover the 'perfect' pillow. It's seems quite a complex engineering issue. Again, I have moved towards more man-made pillow varieties.

Still, at least the UK does a good pillow - compared to other countries (eg. France or Spain) which ain't got a clue.........

Anyway got any pillow tips?

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jivecat View Post

Lory, what kind of duvet did you have before?
    I always thought it was Goose down aswel but I can't remember it ever being as volumous and airy as this one and the cover didn't rustle either, maybe it was a lower tog rating? I've thrown it out now, so there's no way of finding out

If the down one seems too light you could try putting a throw over the top for a while until you get used to it.
    The problem is, its just far too hot already.

You could put it away until the first frosts and then see if you like it better?
    I think this is my only option and the reason I started this thread, as I don't want to make another expensive mistake

I think washing would take away some of the crackliness
    The rustling did appear to be less last night, so maybe that issue will resolve itself but I still can't handle the heat, so, I'm going get a lower tog.
    Anyone brought one from IKEA, someone said they were meant to be quite good?
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Filthy Monkey View Post
    Eventually...
    You mean after we'd 'jumped' and 'danced' on it, don't you
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Quote Originally Posted by Lory View Post
    ~asking questions about duvets~
    I bought our current duvet online when I first moved into my flat. Considering so much of our lives is spent in bed (that wasn't meant to sound quite as risque as it does! ) I thought it was worth doing a bit of research and getting bedding that would be comfortable. I ended up buying a silk-filled duvet from this website Mandarina Textiles

It's very easy to care for, as the manufacturer recommends that rather than washing or dry cleaning you simply leave it to air in the sun for a few hours two or three times a year. We have the 9.0 tog which is supposed to be the best all-round weight, although we do find it a bit warm in the summer (no mean feat in Scottish weather!), and need to supplement it with a blanket in the winter. No cold spots, and it's lovely and snuggly. It has become a little thinner with use since I first got it, but the loft comes back if you shake it out and air it for a while.

Having had a silk duvet, I couldn't go back to either man-made fibres (doesn't feel luxurious enough) or feathers (they feel scratchy at night if the feathers start poking out of the cover). I'd definitely recommend them!

You mean after we'd 'jumped' and 'danced' on it, don't you
    Well, obviously!

I always thought it was Goose down aswel but I can't remember it ever being as volumous and airy as this one and the cover didn't rustle either, maybe it was a lower tog rating? I've thrown it out now, so there's no way of finding out
    The rustling did appear to be less last night, so maybe that issue will resolve itself but I still can't handle the heat, so, I'm going get a lower tog.
    Anyone brought one from IKEA, someone said they were meant to be quite good?
    Cotton shouldn't rustle unless it's had a lot of dressing put in during the manufacture which would eventually soften out. Silk might be a bit crispier, although not in a bedding weight, I would have thought. I wonder if the type of cover you put on would influence how much it rustled, because it might be friction between the two surfaces that cause the noise? e.g. Try a very soft, much-washed cotton cover.

I've got a 4.5 tog which is fab for summer (I've only needed it for a few weeks this summer.) or for adding an extra layer during the depths of winter - I like the "Princess and the Pea" effect. I can't remember where I got it, I think it was IKEA. It certainly wouldn't have cost much, less than £30! It's probably a predominantly feather mix but the feathers rarely poke out - they shouldn't if a sufficiently tightly woven cover has been used. Or maybe my hide is just too tough to feel them!

Quote Originally Posted by Lory
    I've thrown it out now, so there's no way of finding out .
    You threw out a goose-down quilt??

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jivecat View Post
    Cotton shouldn't rustle unless it's had a lot of dressing put in during the manufacture which would eventually soften out. Silk might be a bit crispier, although not in a bedding weight, I would have thought. I wonder if the type of cover you put on would influence how much it rustled, because it might be friction between the two surfaces that cause the noise? e.g. Try a very soft, much-washed cotton cover.
    Its not 'crisp' its very soft but it still rustles. And the cover i've got is very soft too but the two don't seem to stick together at all, it kind of slides about inside. Maybe its because they're both silk?

I found this photo and it 'looks' very much like my duvet... YUKK

The Egyptian Cotton Store - Duvets - Hungarian goose **down duvet - 10% OFFSuperior Snow White Hungarian Goose Down280 Cotton Cover 4.5Tog, 9Tog, 13.5Tog AVAILABLE IN EMPEROR

I like the "Princess and the Pea" effect.
    I really don't, i feel like i'm being smothered

You threw out a goose-down quilt??
    Yep, it had had its day

Blog Entries

I went to IKEA yesterday and purchased the quilt I liked the 'feel' of the most. The good thing was, they had them all out on display to touch!

The one I choose in the end, was one of their middle priced ones, at just under £30, its 6tog and very very soft not too airy and machine washable and NO rustling noise! (some of their more expensive one rustled)

Anyway, I had the best nights sleep I've had in ages!

I've packed the other one away for the deepest winter nights!

Anyway, I had the best nights sleep I've had in ages!
    I hope you and your new duvet enjoy many years of happy life together!

Thread Information