Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Obama - gives me the creeps

Re: Obama - gives me the creeps

Sadly, because of the way our minds have been conditioned by years (centuries?) of distorting media messages, we look at Obama's parents http://www.pbs.org/newshour/images/p...starmomdad.jpg and see a "black man" and a "white woman", but when we look at Obama himself we see only a "black man". How does that work, then?

Blog Entries

What previous experience does this man have to hold the position of president of the united states of america?

Quote Originally Posted by John S View Post
    Sadly, because of the way our minds have been conditioned by years (centuries?) of distorting media messages, we look at Obama's parents http://www.pbs.org/newshour/images/p...starmomdad.jpg and see a "black man" and a "white woman", but when we look at Obama himself we see only a "black man". How does that work, then?
    Aren't we all descendants of that woman from Kenya called 'Eve' anyway - so to that extent, we are all 'black'.

Mitochondrial Eve - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JiveLad View Post
    Aren't we all descendants of that woman from Kenya called 'Eve' anyway - so to that extent, we are all 'black'.

good grief.

Quote Originally Posted by Dance Demon View Post
    Interesting choice of words......
    Was thinking that myself!
    THE ABILITY TO QUOTE IS A SERVICEABLE SUBSTITUTE FOR WIT!

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

DS - I think you missed the essence and tone of CJ's post - please re-read!
    er..no. CJ made an "oh hark at you" silly assumption that wasn't implied by the original post, so in retaliation, so did I

Anyway - Sarah Palin - bit of a babe. She entered the Miss Alaska competion in the 1980's. Where's that 'drool' smiley gone?

Oh - and she eats Moose burgers......
    Last edited by JiveLad; 29th-August-2008 at 04:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
    What previous experience does this man have to hold the position of president of the united states of america?
    What experience do any of them have for that position?

Quote Originally Posted by Double Trouble View Post
    I'd vote for him purely based on this speech...

...Obama's Father's Day Speech Urges Black Fathers To Be More Engaged In Raising Their Children

He's not afraid to tell black people that over 50% of black families in America have absent fathers & that black men should be more responsible and act like men, not boy's.

You see...he can say that, he's black. Black men might not like it but he tells it how it is. It's not racist, it's a fact, but if a white candidate said it they'd be slated and called a racist.

Obama, I salute you.

Me too and this is a very topical point at the moment, I attended some training which was one of the first of its kind in the UK, and facilitated and written by Black men who are trying to encourage an awareness and promote a positive image of Black men as fathers.

Loads actually, he has pushed to help working families by setting up programs such as the Earned Income Tax Credit, he also worked hard to promote more early childhood education programs and facilities. When the war with Iraq kicked off in 2002 he said that the people of Iraq would be better off with out Hussain because he was a butcher etc etc, Obama actually spoke out and said that whilst Hussain was a dictator he didn't actually pose a direct threat to the American people and whilst Obama wasn't saying he opposed wars he did say he opposed 'dumb wars'. I think he would have been a lot more measured in his approach with situations like Iraq.

He worked on the Veteran's affairs Committee and did loads of stuff to promote the welfare and pay for veterans.

Yes a lot of people are not aware of this, and I only got to know about whilst I was on the course that I mentioned above a few months ago.

I would be voting for Obama if I was an American. For me similarities abound with Kennedy, I just hope it doesn't end up the same way.
    if you love the life you live then you'll get a lot more done

Quote Originally Posted by Filthy Monkey View Post
    Our culture over here is very different to the US and I believe we are a lot more tolerant of different races and cultures. Whilst things are changing, there are still a lot of places, particularly in the southern states, where racism is very prevalent and colour is still a huge issue. It is hugely significant that a non-white person is actually a presidential candidate, as it shows that a strong wind of change is finally blowing through the US and, in my opinion, that is a great thing!
    American White Supremists -

There's the Aryan Brotherhood - they have AB tattoos
    Neo Nazis - they have Swastika tattoos
    White Pride - celtic knots and lightening bolts tattoos.
    This should be really helpful to the US police and Security.
    it is clear that he has a lot of very serious corporate backing. The trouble with this is that the candidate can no longer remain impartial, as they owe favours to too many people and, if they want to keep their job and their backing, they have to deliver. I'm sure most politicians start out with their own vision of a perfect world, but when large corporations and other people's money are involved, integrity tends to take a back seat.
    There's an old joke "He's a brilliant politician, costs a lot of money."
    Quote Originally Posted by Poi Boi View Post
    I'm not sure what part of him as a person creeps you out?
    Even his wife said on stage that she thought he had a weird name when she first met him.

The thing that worries me the most, is that if he does get in his security detail would have to be even higher than normal, not due to the threat of terrorism abroad, but from the numerous and extreme White Supremacist groups that exist in America. What a sad thing that would be, if the first black President, also gets assasinated not for his policies, but for not being white.
    There have already been two assassination attempts!
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuart M View Post
    I think, Trouble, you should be more worried about who is behind McCain. Happy birthday to him by the way, he's 72 today.
    Noooooo. I'm not sharing with him.
    Quote Originally Posted by rubyred View Post
    I would be voting for Obama if I was an American. For me similarities abound with Kennedy, I just hope it doesn't end up the same way.
    Also don't forget the 3 M's.
    At least his name starts with an 'O'

Obama is a politician
    ALL politicians give me the creeps
    Although I have to admit he is a very fine orator

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Firstly, why does he "give you the creeps"? You've put that in the title but not explained it?

There is a big thing in the news about this man being the first African American to be president if he gets there and my question is HOW IS THAT RELEVANT.
    It's relevant to America - race is a much bigger thing there than here, basically.

Not much.

But then, neither did most of them - the only recent presidents who could claim genuine near-to-power experience were George Bush Snr. and... ummm, that's it. But being a US Senator or Governor is pretty damn close.

There are plenty of things to attack Obama on - his vagueness, yes his inexperience, his past as a machine politician. But then there are even more things to attack McCain on - his temprament, his flip-flopping, his age, and the awful oven chips bearing his name.

Either way, it's not that important. The main thing is that there'll almost certainly be a Democrat Congress and Senate; Americans really hate Republicans at the moment, and quite rightly considering how badly they've screwed up over the past few years.

It's possible that John McCain may be elected by virtue of not being "really" a Republican - on that point he's by far the best hope the Republicans have. And the Republicans are smart enough to grit their teeth and realise that.

Either way, whoever wins has to be better than the present untrained monkey.

Quote Originally Posted by David Bailey View Post
    Firstly, why does he "give you the creeps"? You've put that in the title but not explained it?

It's relevant to America - race is a much bigger thing there than here, basically.

Not much.

But then, neither did most of them - the only recent presidents who could claim genuine near-to-power experience were George Bush Snr. and... ummm, that's it. But being a US Senator or Governor is pretty damn close.

There are plenty of things to attack Obama on - his vagueness, yes his inexperience, his past as a machine politician. But then there are even more things to attack McCain on - his temprament, his flip-flopping, his age, and the awful oven chips bearing his name.

Either way, it's not that important. The main thing is that there'll almost certainly be a Democrat Congress and Senate; Americans really hate Republicans at the moment, and quite rightly considering how badly they've screwed up over the past few years.

It's possible that John McCain may be elected by virtue of not being "really" a Republican - on that point he's by far the best hope the Republicans have. And the Republicans are smart enough to grit their teeth and realise that.

Either way, whoever wins has to be better than the present untrained monkey.

David, if monkeys had access to this forum (with the exception of Little Monkey of course), they would be highly offended by being compared to the present President... I would argue for monkeys being a whole lot more intelligent!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Villemo View Post
    David, if monkeys had access to this forum (with the exception of Little Monkey of course), they would be highly offended by being compared to the present President... I would argue for monkeys being a whole lot more intelligent!
    No, trained monkeys would of course be better, but I reckon Bush is just barely ahead of the average untrained monkey.

Admittedly, it's a tough call.

No, trained monkeys would of course be better, but I reckon Bush is just barely ahead of the average untrained monkey.

Admittedly, it's a tough call.
    All I know is that I get nervous whenever anyone compares me with a barely intelligent knuckle dragger.

NZ Monkey wanders off to figure out if he's trained or not, and whether he just got insulted....

But then there are even more things to attack McCain on - his temprament, his flip-flopping, his age, and the awful oven chips bearing his name.
    Hey don't knock 'em so casually; in the absence of a wife to cook real chips, I partake of McCaines' most days. They may be a junk food, but they're my junk food, and I compensate by having lots of fresh veggies with my other main meal.

And I object to the ageism as well :-) (But, then, again, I'm not running for president of the United States of good ol' America.)

Quote Originally Posted by Astro View Post
    ... There's an old joke "He's a brilliant politician, costs a lot of money."...
    also "We have the best politicians that money can buy."

Quote Originally Posted by Whitebeard View Post
    Hey don't knock 'em so casually; in the absence of a wife to cook real chips, I partake of McCaines' most days. They may be a junk food, but they're my junk food, and I compensate by having lots of fresh veggies with my other main meal.
    There's a McCaine's chip factory near Scarborough.

The gossip was that if you knew what went on in there, you would never buy their chips.

This election is important to the UK because the new USA president will also be our president by proxy - assuming we really are poodles of Bush - not monkeys.

Plus it affects the whole world too.

The muslims will be far more ammeneable to Osama, simply because of his colour, than McCaine, we desperately need more aids to world peace.

I forgot to mention that The Klan is still at large. The Klu Klux Klan tends to attract educated pillars of the community.

Anyway - Sarah Palin - bit of a babe. She entered the Miss Alaska competion in the 1980's. Where's that 'drool' smiley gone?

Oh - and she eats Moose burgers......
    She sounds rather creepy and scary to me (much worse than Obama anyway). Apparently she is a member of the National Rifle Association, she opposes abortion, only got a passport last year and she thinks creationism should be taught in schools!!

adn.com | elections : 'Creation science' enters the race

Blog Entries

There's an interesting comparison of experience here:
    How Good Are Experienced Presidents?

Basically, there's very little correlation between experience and perceived greatness.

Thread Information