Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Obama - gives me the creeps

Blog Entries

Obama - gives me the creeps

I dont want anybody to take this the wrong way or feel im being racist or feel offended by what im about to say because its not about that at all but

There is a big thing in the news about this man being the first African American to be president if he gets there and my question is HOW IS THAT RELEVANT.

I believe that he will win for the wrong reasons. I believe that he will win because he is african american rather than for what he can do for America.

Thoughts guys?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/7586375.stme

Re: Obama - gives me the creeps

Quote Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
    I dont want anybody to take this the wrong way or feel im being racist or feel offended by what im about to say because its not about that at all but

There is a big thing in the news about this man being the first African American to be president if he gets there and my question is HOW IS THAT RELEVANT.

I believe that he will win for the wrong reasons. I believe that he will win because he is african american rather than for what he can do for America.

Thoughts guys?

I don't see that he'll win because he's African American. Yeah, 90+% of blacks are going to vote for him, but 80+% of blacks would vote Democratic anyhow, so it hasn't won him much there. You can bet there are a lot more whites who, when push comes to shove, won't vote for a black guy.

You only have to look at what the Republicans have done over the last eight years (approval of torturing suspects being a particular low water mark) to see lots of other reasons people might prefer Obama to another Republican.

If you ask me, McCain looks a lot creepier. There's this extract from a book:

Quote Originally Posted by Cliff Schecter in "The Real McCain"
    In his 1992 Senate bid, McCain was joined on the campaign trail by his wife, Cindy, as well as campaign aide Doug Cole and consultant Wes Gullett. At one point, Cindy playfully twirled McCain's hair and said, "You're getting a little thin up there." McCain's face reddened, and he responded, "At least I don't plaster on the makeup like a trollop, you c*nt."
    [N.B. There doesn't seem to be a lot of proof this actually happened, but there is a youtube video of someone asking McCain if it's true and he basically evades the question rather than denying it].

Thoughts guys?

Our culture over here is very different to the US and I believe we are a lot more tolerant of different races and cultures. Whilst things are changing, there are still a lot of places, particularly in the southern states, where racism is very prevalent and colour is still a huge issue. It is hugely significant that a non-white person is actually a presidential candidate, as it shows that a strong wind of change is finally blowing through the US and, in my opinion, that is a great thing! That is why it is such a newsworthy issue. Remember, though, African Americans are still a minority, so if he wins, it won't only be because he has 'the black vote'. Yes, that will help, but then a preacher running for president would get a lot of help from the Christian vote.

To win an election these days, you have to spend money and given the amount of money being spent on Obama's presidential campaign, which far outweighed the amount spent by Hilary Clinton's, it is clear that he has a lot of very serious corporate backing. The trouble with this is that the candidate can no longer remain impartial, as they owe favours to too many people and, if they want to keep their job and their backing, they have to deliver. I'm sure most politicians start out with their own vision of a perfect world, but when large corporations and other people's money are involved, integrity tends to take a back seat.

Commercial Operator

The first Q is "will he actually win?"

This is USA, here. For every nut stupid enough to vote for him because he is black (and not on his policies) there another loon ignorant enough to vote for McCain because he's white (and more worryingly, not for his policies!!).

Is a worry...

Thoughts guys?
    I'd vote for him purely based on this speech...

...Obama's Father's Day Speech Urges Black Fathers To Be More Engaged In Raising Their Children

He's not afraid to tell black people that over 50% of black families in America have absent fathers & that black men should be more responsible and act like men, not boy's.

You see...he can say that, he's black. Black men might not like it but he tells it how it is. It's not racist, it's a fact, but if a white candidate said it they'd be slated and called a racist.

Obama, I salute you.

In this forum of honesty and calling a spade a spde

he ain't really very black is he?

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

It isn't, but its something Americans get really hung up about Though to be fair we would get hung up about that too*, or at least our media would - the first black cabinet member got a bit of attention and that was only a few years ago - as did the first female prime minister of course maybe it's simply "oh look something different" syndrome.

*although i can see any attempt to use an "african british" label getting laughed at

Quote Originally Posted by Trousers View Post
    He's blacker than Michael Jackson It does surpirse me sometimes exactly who is considered black

Hey, we still call Michael Jackson a black man, don't we?

Edit after reading the comment above: Scarily, D.S., it seems that we have similar minds!!!

Last edited by Filthy Monkey; 29th-August-2008 at 03:49 PM.

In this forum of honesty and calling a spade a spde

Oh, I get it. In which case, I've never met a "white" person ...

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Filthy Monkey View Post
    Hey, we still call Michael Jackson a black man, don't we?

Edit after reading the comment above: Scarily, D.S., it seems that we have similar minds!!!

:p
    aaaaargh

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bibi View Post

Oh, I get it. In which case, I've never met a "white" person ...

neither have I

Thoughts guys?

I'm not sure what part of him as a person creeps you out?

They are making a big deal out of him being the first black candidate because many people never thought they would see the day that a non-white person would ever be in the running for presidency. The press would have been making the same palava if Hillary had been the candidate. Would she then have creeped you out with the papers saying 'Our first female candidate!'?

He rarely mentioned his race when campaigning, but of course has a greater sense of what Black issues are, and much of those issues relate not as much to racism, but poverty and inequality, which is something America has a massive problem with.

The thing that worries me the most, is that if he does get in his security detail would have to be even higher than normal, not due to the threat of terrorism abroad, but from the numerous and extreme White Supremacist groups that exist in America. What a sad thing that would be, if the first black President, also gets assasinated not for his policies, but for not being white.

Commercial Operator

In this forum of honesty and calling a spade a spade

Interesting choice of words......

Yes - the question is will he win as someone said.

I would very much like him to win.

At the moment, the bookies have him as favourite, although the odds for McCain have been shortening in the last 2-3 weeks - perhaps reflecting the close national opinion polls.

My instinct tells me that the polls may underestimate support for McCain - and so at odds of 2-1 I felt that was a good price to take.

So my money is reiding on McCain - but my heart would dearly love Obama to win - there is something about the American Dream that is still there - and this would prove it.......

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Poi Boi View Post
    What a sad thing that would be, if the first black President, also gets assasinated not for his policies, but for not being white.
    .. but it would be ok if he was assassinated for his policies??

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Poi Boi View Post
    but of course has a greater sense of what Black issues are
    he has? a lad from the ghettos then ?

The thing that worries me the most, is that if he does get in his security detail would have to be even higher than normal, not due to the threat of terrorism abroad, but from the numerous and extreme White Supremacist groups that exist in America. What a sad thing that would be, if the first black President, also gets assasinated not for his policies, but for not being white.
    At least he's not an Atheist, he'd have TV presenters and other democrats trying to assasinate him too

Quote Originally Posted by CJ View Post
    Hmm, good point! it would suck either way tbh, but still, if a White Supremacist group claimed it, it would be hard to say that he was killed for his policies.

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CJ View Post
    would it?? why do you say that ?

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe View Post
    would it?? why do you say that ?
    DS - I think you missed the essence and tone of CJ's post - please re-read!

An Eclectic Toaster

I think, Trouble, you should be more worried about who is behind McCain. Happy birthday to him by the way, he's 72 today. But more importantly, he's a 72-year old with dodgy health. When his medical records were rushed out (on the day Hillary Clinton made her gaffe about Rebort Kennedy), they revealed the following:

• He has Stage II melanoma which means that he must undergo extensive tests every month. He is one lesion away from Stage III which is fatal at his age.
    • He has serious arthritis and may need a joint replacement. Which joints are involved were unspecified.
    • He recently had benign polyps removed from his colon.
    • He has dizzy spells.
    • He was treated for an enlarged prostate
    • He underwent cataract surgery
    • He suffers from vertigo.
    • He takes medication for high cholesterol
    • He had early stage squamous cell cancer in 2007

Basically, his pick for VP is a very important one - I wouldn't put money on McCain making it through one Presidential term. Mind you, the guy's so belligerent, I'm not sure I'd put money on anyone else among us getting through it either

Update: looks like he may well choose the Alaskan Governor, Sarah Palin, as his VP candidate. So American might well be getting a female President in the next 4 years - just not the one anyone expected...

Thread Information