Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Resistance is useless! – or is it?

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Re: Resistance is useless! – or is it?

Quote Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
    Absolutely DJ.... I agree with you. Where is the fun in one finger dancing. Where is the fun in no contact. Also would like to add that cross body leads are by far the loveliest moves in my opinion. They give full eye contact, body contact just here and there and a connection. They also allow the lead the opportunity to finger hold, hand hold or body hold.. i love em.
    Who are you, and what have you done with the real Trouble?

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe View Post
    His wealth of experience clearly; by what evidence do you support his need to give any evidence? Surely we should take steven666's comments as some sort of official jivestandard by now - he should write it all down though.
    Noo

Gadget has already done it all for him - although Steven 666 is better at spelling.

Steven 666 - as a dancer he certainly knows how to spell

Not if it is not led or led by accident, which seems to be common. I had a dance once with someone who insisted on travelling around me, I assumed she had just danced with moondancers Lead C and picked up the v.bad habit. I ended up dancing in a very small slot to get her to stay still, but it still didnt work, she'd pull her way out of it
    Rotational dancing is perfectly acceptable in MJ. What's she doing wrong ?

Whether it occurs deliberately, or by accident is really not important (outside the question of maybe she/he'd like to widen his/her abilities and learn to dance the other way one day). Rotational is allowed.

The question in this case is who decides how you dance? Some leaders try and dictate there preference on follows. Some think that's okay as 'the leader leads'. I prefer the other way as to quote a common cliche on here, I am closer to: 'the leader invites'.
    *shrug* I personally let the follow dictate it completely. This does mean you have to be roughly equally capable of dancing in both styles, but that's no biggie for any half-decent dancer with not too large an ego
    Last edited by TA Guy; 28th-August-2008 at 10:17 AM.

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by TA Guy View Post
    Well - she's not exactly following well, is she?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by David Bailey View Post
    Who are you, and what have you done with the real Trouble?
    ahhhh sarcasm....... you know thats the lowest form of wit. xxx

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

If you lead directly toward you and someone ends up 90 degrees to your right, its NOT following and you may as well NOT bother leading.

Rotational is allowed.
    Well in dance, I'd say anything is allowed accept completely ignoring the lead Even where a follower sabotages, they do so to further the dance and are in agreement with the leader who also wants to further the dance.

Some leaders try and dictate there preference on follows. Some think that's okay as 'the leader leads'. I prefer the other way as to quote a common cliche on here, I am closer to: 'the leader invites'.
    *shrug* I personally let the follow dictate it completely.
    Well why do you bother then if you are never leading?

This does mean you have to be roughly equally capable of dancing in both styles, but that's no biggie for any half-decent dancer with not too large an ego
    Styles? Leading or letting the follow dicate completely? are they styles now?

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
    ahhhh sarcasm....... you know thats the lowest form of wit. xxx
    Whew, you're back, you had me worried there for a minute.

Blog Entries

If you lead directly toward you and someone ends up 90 degrees to your right, its NOT following and you may as well NOT bother leading.
    Did you step out of her way?!

Quote Originally Posted by straycat View Post
    Well - she's not exactly following well, is she?
    Why is it the followers fault ? That is a meaningless argument, you may as well argue "the follow isn't going where you wanted, your a crap lead" ?

Dance is a partnership, just because your partner is a little bit inexperienced and maybe limited in how she/he dances and happens to want to dictate a certain style is not an excuse for you to dictate too. Be the better dancer, be above that!!!

I am not going to argue for a dictatorship however much some like forcing their parters into a slot for reasons of 'fad following' or ego etc.

Commercial Operator

Why is it the followers fault ? That is a meaningless argument, you may as well argue "the follow isn't going where you wanted, your a crap lead" ?
    Which could well be the case, I'll admit, BUT....

Dance is a partnership, just because your partner is a little bit inexperienced and maybe limited in how she/he dances and happens to want to dictate a certain style is not an excuse for you to dictate too. Be the better dancer, be above that!!!

I am not going to argue for a dictatorship however much some like forcing their parters into a slot for reasons of 'fad following' or ego etc.
    A good lead will be indicating direction & degree of movement across the floor. It's not a matter of forcing people into a slot or anything daft like that - if nothing else, it's a matter of floorcraft. How can you possibly take care of your partner on the floor, and exhibit good courtesy to those around you by avoiding collisions etc etc etc if you are not leading in this way?

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

To quote Tom Hanks in Big, "Where's the fun in that?"

Shamefully, I have to agree with Rob yet again. The more contact you have with your partner, the easier it is to communicate your intentions.

Although one-finger leading is good practice, as is no-finger leading for that matter.
    Yeah, I agree, one finger leading can be a good way of making someone who 'over-leads' realise that sometimes, they can achieve the same results, with much less.

And for the follower, its a good way to practice maintaining contact. One has to concentrate more.

But for normal dancing, I think its best to use whatever achieves the most effortless results!
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Commercial Operator

I'd make this a conditional acceptance. If that's how it's led. If there's enough room. If it's not a cross-body move. If you know the difference.

It can be rather off-putting, especially when you lead a return on the spot and she steps several feet to your right while returning.

Shamefully, I have to agree with Rob yet again. The more contact you have with your partner, the easier it is to communicate your intentions.
    So we should all grip and hug to an inch of our lives?

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I'm not going to say she's doing anything wrong, as she may be dancing like this intentionally but...
    I clearly remember when I first started Ceroc, that I often went off balance after turning/spinning and I quickly worked out, that if I carried on, in the same direction, it stopped me from falling over.
    In my case I 'was' wrong, as I was purely using it as a way of steadying myself.
    It took a couple of good leads, to be brutally honest with me and point out my failing and then to help me improve to a point where, I can choose to rotate, or not!
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Quote Originally Posted by Baruch View Post
    It can be rather off-putting, especially when you lead a return on the spot and she steps several feet to your right while returning.
    But is that the leads fault?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Steven666 View Post
    So we should all grip and hug to an inch of our lives?
    Bah! That'd probably lead to world peace or some other hippy nonsense!

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Steven666 View Post
    But is that the leads fault?
    I was wondering when someone would open this particular can of worms. I can happily answer... if you're genuinely interested, as opposed to sparking off another round of furious debate while you munch away on your popcorn...

I was wondering when someone would open this particular can of worms. I can happily answer... if you're genuinely interested, as opposed to sparking off another round of furious debate while you munch away on your popcorn...

I AM genuinely interested!

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Granted, It could well be that i was a crap lead in this case, but as i stated, i adjusted all the way down to practically standing on the spot and leading away and back to no avail. All that is irrelevant though as we are talking about the BAD HABIT of constantly rotating, not whether i have a crap lead or not - you say its a valid style, i say it is certainly not and I agree entirely with Andy who says.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy McGregor View Post
    I'd make this a conditional acceptance. If that's how it's led. If there's enough room. If it's not a cross-body move. If you know the difference.
    Conflicting messages ? Yes, dance is a partnership but No, I don't want to "be the better dancer". I want to have a dance in partnernership with my partner. Do you have a "big book of boll0cks dance rhetoric" you're quoting from ?

In this case I was "forcing" into a slot to see if said follower could actually follow, but she couldn't. I am saying that constant rotation is a bad habit because it is...well, constant, and not subject to music, lead, wind direction, or anything useful at all. Would you also say it was a valid "style" if the follower constantly hopped on one leg at right angles to your lead. Would that not be a bit daft?

A good lead will be indicating direction & degree of movement across the floor. It's not a matter of forcing people into a slot or anything daft like that - if nothing else, it's a matter of floorcraft. How can you possibly take care of your partner on the floor, and exhibit good courtesy to those around you by avoiding collisions etc etc etc if you are not leading in this way?

Exactly I think there must be an element of TA Guy imagining the situation different to how it actually happened due to my poor explanation - but everyone else seems to get it

Thread Information