Thread: School days

School days

What kids had to put up with at school...

Thought this was a bit off topic and needed a new thread...

Quote Originally Posted by stewart38 View Post
    In 1981 a message went around our school that all slippers,rulers canes etc were no longer to be used by individual teachers. I remember one dogy teacher kept missing your back side and hitting top of your legs which i was told hurt more. I was canned for fighting my brother for wearing a football scarf ,caught by the head master on the way off the school premises. Brother was 16 he also caned a 11 year old for same offence

To be fair my brother got 6 of the best the 11yr old 2 . Could you image now caning a 11yr old for wearing a football scarf on the way home from school

Anyway by 1981 any canning could only been done by head master and the two deputies (it was a big school) and recorded in a book

Some said the cane was worse then the slipper but it depended who did it. One guy got hit with a slipper very hard 4 times infront of everyone by a sports teacher. He wondered off crying and teacher looked a bit preplex

I was in a fight with a guy (aged 14) and the music teacher (big bloke) pulled me and him down two flights of stairs by our hair.

Clumbs of my hair were falling out two days later

Happy times
    Quote Originally Posted by Astro View Post
    In the infants there was a vicious woman teacher.

I had to hold my palm out while she hit it with a ruler.

She'd hit so hard that her bun would dislodge and her hair fall down.

In the juniors I would be put over the Headmaster's knee. He would lift my dress up to expose my knickers, then spank my bottom.

Quite pervy come to think of it. - it was in front of the other kids though, not private.

Plus he wouldn't stop till you cried.

He would shake the boys hard by their shoulders till their feet were off the floor.

At Secondary school I was never punished.

But the boys got the cane. One physics teacher broke a boy's thumb. I Iwitnessed that. The boy in question lived in a children's home so I suppose the teacher got away with it. I remember now he was an alcoholic and used to stink of alcoholic breathe fumes. He was drunk at the time.

The girls got the slipper from this dragon who was head of the girls.

Primary school, I got spanked until the headmasters watch strap broke... my crime, being cheeky to a teacher.

At secondary school, at the age of 12, I was sent to the deputy head, to get "the cane".

I never did get the cane, instead they talked to my Dad, and it was decided that I should move schools..... Reason being, the week before, the deputy head was beaten up by a pupil, who he tried to give the cane to... spent 3 days in hospital... so when my turn came... I said "I will fight you if you try to harm me" - It worked... he bottled out of the cane, but instead I moved schools.

It was rather sad that I moved schools, as I was in the top streams for everything, then at the new school, they did not have streams, and my education suffered.

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Re: School days

I got the belt in 1st year for talking and pleaded my way out of the belt next time it was "offered". It gets your attention successfully, or did with me

well i know school punishments are no where near as harsh as they used to be but i clearly remember two punishments i received.

1. Year 10. Scraping all the chewing gum off the science tables for fighting with another girl. In truthfulness she slapped me first but of course i retaliated and was the one to get in trouble.)

2. Year 10. Shortly after the chewing gum detention...
    CLeaning out the p.e cupboard for calling the p.e teacher. "Mate." He said i could either do 5 laps round the field or clear out the p.e cupboard. I hate running so i chose the cupboard but i soon wish i hadn't when i found 10 pairs of smelly socks, 6 pairs of sweaty trainers (one of them even being mine) and a disgusting mouldy ham sandwich!!

Corporal punishment was all banned by the time I started school in 1981, but there were a few sadists left...

One notorious teacher at my primary school was known to rub chewing gum into your hair if you were caught chewing gum at school. You had to spit the chewing gum into his hand, and he'd rub it in so hard the only way to get it out was to cut the hair off.

He also had rather medeival ideas about discipline in his classroom. When he entered the room, he expected all the pupils to sit up straight, facing forwards and with their hands on the desk in front of them, with completely blank expressions. If he thought your posture wasn't good enough he'd poke you hard in the back with a ruler, and if you smiled or giggled he'd smack you across the knuckles with the ruler. He was also known to lose his temper and hit pupils, and more than once he bribed the whole class with ice cream to make them shut up about the incidents.

I was a good little girl most of the time, so was never on the receiving end of any of his punishments.

I can remember having the cane on a number of occasions at high school (being the angel that I am )..........but can't remember the exact year they banned it. If 1981 is the date then someone at our school wasn't playing ball.

Not that it did me any harm of course .........or good for that matter

Our chemistry teacher used to keep a size 11 gym plimsoll handy ....(I used to behave in his class, natch)

I had the most horrendous teacher at the age of 9 he bullied me constantly every day, he pulled my pants down in front of the class and his me on my exposed backside with a slipper, he smashed my head against a metal pipe in the corner of the class room giving me a large lump on my head.

I could go on and on, I only told my parents once when it first started to happen and I got a wlop of my dad who said teachers don't hit you for no reason I must have deserved it and now have another one just to remind me.....funny I didn't tell them again mmmm I wonder why?

He also used to scream 'FLETCHER' get out here now, and from the age of 9 I've been known as fletcher which was shortened to fletch, some things never leave you.

Quote Originally Posted by fletch View Post
    I could go on and on, I only told my parents once when it first started to happen and I got a wlop of my dad who said teachers don't hit you for no reason I must have deserved it and now have another one just to remind me.....funny I didn't tell them again mmmm I wonder why?
    My mum also took this attitude - I was expecting sympathy after being assaulted by my vicious Welsh teacher. However, the teacher's fiancee had recently committed suicide so she had every reason to be feeling a bit unsettled and we should have had more sympathy. Also, I could be bl**dy naughty at times.

Primary school was idyllic, tiny village school in a huge green field. I loved my teacher, Miss James, and she is still alive, now 98, and bakes her own bread 3times a week. No straps, slaps, spanks or tawses for the entire 7 years I was there. I did have to miss art after refusing to get my Welsh scripture done on time though.

I had the most horrendous teacher at the age of 9 he bullied me constantly every day, he pulled my pants down in front of the class and his me on my exposed backside with a slipper, he smashed my head against a metal pipe in the corner of the class room giving me a large lump on my head.
    This has made me feel really sad and angry to read, and would like to feel that there were enough things in place for assaults like this against children to never happen again.

I had the experience of going to school both in England and Ireland.My experience of violence towards children in the Manchester primary school I attended were carried out in public view of the other pupils in my year group or in the Headteacher's office with another teacher present. Very calculated and executed as if carrying out a sentence for a crime, that might be something like talking in class. I remember once being caned because my report card, which had been written in ink, was smudged because my lovely mum had accidentaly put it on a wet table.She was so upset that a mistake she had made had been dealt with in this way. I am getting worked up just writing this, and I am convinced that these experiences helped to encourage me to go into chosen career, which is a child care social worker. I am sure that some would say bring back the cane, because the problems which children present and teachers have to deal with are very difficult these days, drugs, guns and lack of parental responsibilty. I can't agree though that a violent act against a child's poor behaviour is justified, in my mind violence begets violence. I think that a teacher's job is a very difficult one and it is a career, like mine that people go into for the passion of enabling, protecting and encouraging young people to achieve to the best of their ability.

My experiences of school in Ireland were ones of the best days of my life. There were some truely inspirational teachers who developed my love for singing and dancing, theatre, poetry and music. Some even came to my wedding!! However there was one maths teacher, who was a priest and he had a 'black jack', which was a hard strip of thick leather. We had the experience of that whenever we couldn't remember our theroms. Horrible, but in the main no violence towards the pupils at the school I attended by other teachers. I did hear stories though from my friends around Monaghan who went to the Christian Brothers and Jesuit schools.

In Ireland we used to have to go to school on a Saturday morning, we had lessons up to 11 and then sport for about one and half hours. When Saturday school was abolished we were asked by the Headteacher what we would felt we would miss out on, and the answer was of course the sport. So to compensate for this Wednesday afternoon classes finished at 1pm and then we had the sport that we missed out on.

How cool was that?

Last edited by rubyred; 27th-August-2008 at 08:58 PM.
    if you love the life you live then you'll get a lot more done

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I, believe it or not, once 'asked' for the Slipper (which, as someone else said, was a size 11 plimsoll) as I thought it was the 'quickest and easiest' option.
    All the boy's got the slipper but the girls got 'lines' and to me, 3 strikes with the slipper, was a better deal than 500 lines. But there was no such thing as 'equality' in those days!

But, I just want to add a little controversy to the debate, if I may

To me, nowadays there's far too much political correctness going on...

For instance, when my son was in Junior School, there was a kid who had 'problems', 'anger management' I think they labeled it and every time something didn't go his way, he lashed out and hit another kid

All the kids were terrified of him but he was treated with kid gloves and everyone was 'made' to be nice to him.

All the parents complained but nothing was done.

So, I took it upon myself to give my son my full permission to belt him one back 'VERY VERY HARD' if he did it to him. He was given strict instructions never to hit first. AND BTW, I warned the kid and his Mum too.

Funnily enough, after that day, the kid left Adam alone but one day Adam (my son) told one of the helpers "my Mum said.. Blah blah blah" and word spread to the Headmistress and I was called into her office.
    She asked me to clarify my position and I told her my view point. It didn't go down well.
    I told her that the kid needed to learn a lesson about what would happen in the 'real world' and I also said that, clearly, what they were doing wasn't working and secondly, all the kids were learning that, if you hit and bully, everyone has to be extra nice to you GRRR but she wouldn't/couldn't condone it.

So, the lesson I learnt on that day was.... to make sure Adam knew how keep his big mouth shut in future!
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Funny enough my experience of bullies recently proves you need to stand up to them, having met a someone that is renown for it been harsh to unconfident women I explained that if she felt the need to grab my tits I would grab hers, she never came near them, I think her main shock was that I also didn't find it expectable to bully others while I was watching, she coped it form me again.

My teacher that bullied me did it to other's he also had his 'pets' he had some sexual issues going on from some of the things he did, he would call you up to his desk (it was one of those tall desks with a lid the lifted) and he would ask you to read your book to him, while you were doing it he would pat and stroke you bottom and also put his hand up your short dress and run his fingers under you knickers elastic, he only tried it with me once and I moved so he couldn't do it, perhaps that why I got hit so much.

Blog Entries

Blimey i never really experienced any of this sort of thing at school. The worst i got was in infant school when i was talking through a story and was told to go stand under the bell which was outside the headmistresses office. Everybody saw me and was laughing and i was mortified. The english teacher in the senior school had a habit of throwing a blackboard rubber at people if they were talking in class and i had that thrown at me once but i was in the last year of school then and just walked out of the class room calling him a twat as i left the class. Only went back for exams then onto college. But thats it for punishment.

I do agree with Lory however, we have gone ridiculous on what teachers can and cant do and when i go into schools regularly which i do for my job, when you see what the teachers have to put up with these days, its pretty frightening what our younger pupils will end up like and what state the teahers will be in when they retire.

Very scary indeed.

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
    was told to go stand under the bell which was outside the headmistresses office..
    That's just brought back a memory, I was made to stand in the waste paper basket once I must have been about 8 or 9ish and I probably deserved it

Its quite funny when you think about it!
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

After I'd been put over my teacher's knee(he was also the Headmaster - there were only 2 teachers in my primary school, Infants and Juniors) I ran home. My Mother was in the garden and i told her what had happened. She took me back to the school gate - the ground were being searched. Told me not to cause any trouble she was embarrased, not angry.
    These were the days when parents were not encourage inside the school gates.

The second time he did it, I ran out of the school door, but instead of running home (pointless) I stood with my back to the wall. The headmaster and the whole class filed out and set off to my home (you could see my house from the playground) Not one of them saw me and they all passed within 6 inches of me!

I went back into the classroom and sat down with a nonchalant look on my face. Five minutes later they were back, I really showed up the head master and he never did it again.
    Quote Originally Posted by jivecat View Post
    My mum also took this attitude - I was expecting sympathy after being assaulted by my vicious Welsh teacher. Also, I could be bl**dy naughty at times.
    All I'd done was get a fit of giggles - you know when you just can't stop. One of the times my friend got the same punishment. We used to set each other off. Initially we were sent to sit in the cloakroom as punishment, but whenever someone came to check we had stopped laughing it would set us off again.
    Quote Originally Posted by rubyred View Post
    This has made me feel really sad and angry to read, and would like to feel that there were enough things in place for assaults like this against children to never happen again.
    I agree.

Quote Originally Posted by Lory View Post
    That's just brought back a memory, I was made to stand in the waste paper basket once I must have been about 8 or 9ish and I probably deserved it

Its quite funny when you think about it!
    The teacher in my primary class used that punishment - she used to say we were rubbish, stand in the rubbish bin.
    Last edited by Astro; 28th-August-2008 at 04:04 PM.

Funny enough my experience of bullies recently proves you need to stand up to them, having met a someone that is renown for it been harsh to unconfident women I explained that if she felt the need to grab my tits I would grab hers, she never came near them, I think her main shock was that I also didn't find it expectable to bully others while I was watching, she coped it form me again.
    Standing up to bullies is the most effective way. Showing fear feeds their power.

My teacher that bullied me did it to other's he also had his 'pets' he had some sexual issues going on from some of the things he did, he would call you up to his desk (it was one of those tall desks with a lid the lifted) and he would ask you to read your book to him, while you were doing it he would pat and stroke you bottom and also put his hand up your short dress and run his fingers under you knickers elastic, he only tried it with me once and I moved so he couldn't do it, perhaps that why I got hit so much.
    You did the right thing though.

Just imagine if he did that today, he'd be in big trouble.

In a previous post I said that the headmaster has assulted me in front of the other kids, so maybe it wasn't pervy.

But this thread jogged my memory - there wasn't a private room he could have used, all his punishments had to be in the open.

He didn't have a tall desk like Fletch's teacher either.

Thread Information