Re: I want to talk about LAMB.

Lamb does not like to be warm
    It’s got to be hot or cold
    Roast the lamb and when cool put it in the frigid
    Then Cut bits of lamb off and add to stew before microwaving
    Or eat it cold

Mrs Pretzelmeister

As has been said above - use the fridge. Do everything exactly as you did before except move the pot into the fridge when it is cold and dish from there into microwaveable bowl.

However, this has got me thinking about preserving meat and different types of meat. Think of various preservation techniques - drying, salting, canning, sausaging. All the permutations I can think of use beef (pastrami, corned beef) or pork (proscuitto/parma ham, boiled ham, bacon, dried sausages like salami etc). Perhaps there is just something about lamb that doesn't preserve or last well?

Simple solution

1. Turn Veggie
    2. Use a Fridge

I have had so many bouts of food poisoning due to my Anosmia I rarely eat meat .. even less these days since I moved in with my Veggie better half.

You're seriously asking for trouble if you leave stew out for days on end .. remind me never to come round for dinner

Quote Originally Posted by LemonCake View Post
    However, this has got me thinking about preserving meat and different types of meat. Think of various preservation techniques - drying, salting, canning, sausaging. All the permutations I can think of use beef (pastrami, corned beef) or pork (proscuitto/parma ham, boiled ham, bacon, dried sausages like salami etc). Perhaps there is just something about lamb that doesn't preserve or last well?
    I've got one of these vacuum sealers Master Butchers and there are brilliant. Stuff stays fresh for ages, the special bags hardly cost anything if you buy in bulk. Stuff with bones or onions don't last quite as well, but steaks will last weeks in just the fridge. Vacuum sealed lamb steaks last weeks in the fridge

Quote Originally Posted by SteveK View Post
    I've got one of these vacuum sealers Master Butchers and there are brilliant. Stuff stays fresh for ages, the special bags hardly cost anything if you buy in bulk. Stuff with bones or onions don't last quite as well, but steaks will last weeks in just the fridge. Vacuum sealed lamb steaks last weeks in the fridge
    That idea just sucks man!

Seriously though, looks like a good idea to me

I think Lamb is trying to tell you something DTS...
    Mainly "dooon't eaaaaaaat meeeee", or "pleeease throw me in the fridge"
    Me on the other hand like my Lamb with a little garlic, some mashed potatoes and a glass of wine

From a science-y point of view lamb is no different to other red meat, but the skin does have a higher microbial count, so if it's not being butchered properly it cound be getting contaminated. Also, animals that are stressed before being killed have a much higher lactic acid content in the flesh, and that will make the meat taste bad and go off more quickly

Personally, I love lamb hot and rare with the blood oozing forth as I cut. (Bit of a lottery, though, whether its as tough as old boots or tender as an inner thigh !!! )

But I don't like it cold and greasy.

And there must be a reason why I can regularly find cold sliced beef or cold sliced pork on the supermarket shelves but not cold sliced lamb.

Quote Originally Posted by Whitebeard View Post
    And there must be a reason why I can regularly find cold sliced beef or cold sliced pork on the supermarket shelves but not cold sliced lamb.
    It's probably because, as you suggested, lamb is quite greasy when it's cold. That's not exactly a quality that would make cold, sliced lamb fly off the shelves.

And there was me thinking all welshies loved lamb (well sheep anyway)

Quote Originally Posted by martingold View Post
    And there was me thinking all welshies loved lamb (well sheep anyway)
    I wouldn't laugh, boyo - the reason we have so many sheep in Wales is that they're desperate to escape from east of the border!

Cold chunks of leg of lamb, Branson Pickle new potatoes

Quote Originally Posted by Baruch View Post
    I wouldn't laugh, boyo - the reason we have so many sheep in Wales is that they're desperate to escape from east of the border!
    Is that because you make better sheep lovers or perhaps you have softer straps on yea wellies?

Quote Originally Posted by LemonCake View Post

Sorry, not true. In Norway we have several types of ham (cured or dried meat a bit like parma ham) and cured/smoked sausages made out of lamb and mutton, and it lasts for years! We also have dried/smoked ribs of mutton that we then steam, which is a delicacy often eaten at Christmas time. Yummy!

Quote Originally Posted by Little Monkey View Post
    Sorry, not true. In Norway we have several types of ham (cured or dried meat a bit like parma ham) and cured/smoked sausages made out of lamb and mutton, and it lasts for years! We also have dried/smoked ribs of mutton that we then steam, which is a delicacy often eaten at Christmas time. Yummy!

You forgot to mention the sheepshead you find around x-mas time...all black and yummy....

Mrs Pretzelmeister

Quote Originally Posted by Little Monkey View Post
    I think it's time for a visit to Norway

But why aren't they made here? It's not like we're short of sheep.

Quote Originally Posted by martingold View Post
    Is that because you make better sheep lovers or perhaps you have softer straps on yea wellies?
    You seem to have a suspiciously good knowledge of the techniques involved....

There are so many sheep in Wales, they're almost like family. Shagging them would be too much like incest. The big supermarket chains aren't interested either - they're too busy screwing the farmers.

Quote Originally Posted by Whitebeard View Post
    Personally, I love lamb hot and rare with the blood oozing forth as I cut.
    I can regularly find cold sliced beef or cold sliced pork on the supermarket shelves but not cold sliced lamb.

I too like lamb rare and definitely hot. I have bought cold sliced lamb at Morrisons in the past, but agree it is best served hot. However left over lamb which is well seasoned with rock salt is delicious on white crusty bread.

I want to know what's happened to mutton? Aren't there any grown up lambs anymore? My Irish Granny used to make a mean mutton stew with carrots, which made it sweeter, onions and I do recall a handful of barley going in, just to make it more gooey. Really nice when you came home from school and you needed some comfort.
    if you love the life you live then you'll get a lot more done

Quote Originally Posted by Baruch View Post

And when I was in New Zealand earlier this year I was told there were more sheep than there were people!!
    if you love the life you live then you'll get a lot more done

Quote Originally Posted by rubyred View Post
    I too like lamb rare and definitely hot. I have bought cold sliced lamb at Morrisons in the past, but agree it is best served hot.
    Morrisons is my local too - and I've never seen sliced lamb [not that I'm calling you a fibber ;-)]

However left over lamb which is well seasoned with rock salt is delicious on white crusty bread.
    I'm sure you know that SALT is now very EVIL, and where do you now find those warm crusty white loaves to pick at on the way home from the corner bakery ???

I want to know what's happened to mutton? Aren't there any grown up lambs anymore?
    Either that, or they're liers, the lot of them ;-)

Thread Information