View Poll Results: Does your teacher care more about money than teaching?

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • In it for the money

3 15.00%
  • They teach because they love it

12 60.00%
  • Don't really care

5 25.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is your dance teacher more concerned with making money than dancing?

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

Is your dance teacher more concerned with making money than dancing?

Quick poll just to see if people think that their (or a majority of their) dance teachers are taching for the right resons or if they just do it to get more money in their pockets.

Personally, I went in to teaching do try and offer people something different from the same old same old they get week in week out. Anyone who has (or hopefully does) hear my sets at Southport will know what type of stuff I play and offer.

I have noticed though that (in particular) one teacher just seems to be in it for the money. I never see him at any other events nor does anyone else. Just turns up once a week, half @rses a lesson together, chats to his freinds and doesn't social dance.

Before people start saying there is no money to be made in modern jive teaching, 60 people at £6 each is £360 after deductions that is about £200 per week, £800 per month plus freestyles.

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Re: Is your dance teacher more concerned with making money than dancing?

So the "right reasons" are teaching because you love it? Sorry Lee, but this just sounds like a cynical ego stroking thread - "oh look at me aren't I alruistic"

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe View Post
    So the "right reasons" are teaching because you love it? Sorry Lee, but this just sounds like a cynical ego stroking thread - "oh look at me aren't I alruistic"

No not at all. Infact it would be nice to make enough money out of it to make a living and hopefully one day I will.

My point is, there are people there I feel who are in to teaching just for money and don't really give a t0ss about teaching people to dance. Just wondering how many people feel the same about some of their dance teachers.

Ob. I don't think this about every dance teacher just a select one or two.

Ceroc N.I. Franchise Owner drathzel's Avatar

the money... that id be right!!! i dont think so! How much does the average teacher earn a night?

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Bartholomew View Post
    Quick poll just to see if people think that their (or a majority of their) dance teachers are taching for the right resons or if they just do it to get more money in their pockets.
    There is no "right reason" for doing anything: no matter how you spell it. The "right reson" for Lee may be a different reason from other people's "right reason". That doesn't make them wrong, just different.

And, there is a big difference between stated reasons and real reasons for some people. For some of us there might even be more than one reason.

If I were a dance teacher, I'd be doing it for the right reasons – the fame and lots of groupies!
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ducasi View Post
    If I were a dance teacher, I'd be doing it for the right reasons – the fame and lots of groupies!
    but you are famous and you get groupies NOW Ducasi - teaching would just take extra time

I don’t really care, but of the classes I attend, I would guess, it’s a mixture of the two

soory just had to try the new smiley

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe View Post
    but you are famous and you get groupies NOW Ducasi - teaching would just take extra time
    But I want more fame and more groupies!!!

Though you're right, I wouldn't have time for all my groupies... Need to find a happy medium.
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

Quote Originally Posted by ducasi View Post
    But I want more fame and more groupies!!!

Though you're right, I wouldn't have time for all my groupies... Need to find a happy medium.
    How about Mystic Meg in a good mood?

Any good for you?

DTS XXX XXX

Commercial Operator

I think most people start for reasons other than money.
    I also think most people start for reasons other than dancing.

Those that start for dancing often don't keep going for the same reasons.

But none of that really matters, since many teachers I know who only do it for the money are far better than many who do it for love. And watching them teach you wouldn't know either way.

Ironically, someone who looks like they are only doing it for the money is probably not that interested in the money. Otherwise they would probably try harder to hide that fact. They probably just can't be bothered with any of it, but haven't got out of it for one reason or another.

- I'm loving the new smilies...........

Couldn't give a damn. As long as it's fun and I learn something.

Quote Originally Posted by Amir View Post
    They probably just can't be bothered with any of it, but haven't got out of it for one reason or another.
    yeah thats wot I think we got here in the boondocks. The franchise owner appears to 'need' the money but doesn't teach very often. When she does teach, it's nothing startling and any 'foreigners' trying to introduce something new must also to be viewed with great sustain (as what do they know? ) She clearly is not interested in this dance form anymore. And as for remaining in the ring, the "one reason or another" appears to be hanging on in there in the hope someone will come along and buy her dance business at an extortinate price. After all, one's "retirement" fund does need feathering

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Amir View Post
    I think most people start for reasons other than money.
    I also think most people start for reasons other than dancing. {more great stuff}
    You wouldn't think this sort of thing needed an explanation At the end of the cliche, what you have is a good teacher or a bad teacher - their reasons are not particularly relevant - they way they conduct themselves and their actual ability are far more important.

Quote Originally Posted by kiwichook View Post
    and any 'foreigners' trying to introduce something new must also to be viewed with great sustain
    What? You assume they are good in bed ?

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Bartholomew View Post
    No not at all. Infact it would be nice to make enough money out of it to make a living and hopefully one day I will.

My point is, there are people there I feel who are in to teaching just for money and don't really give a t0ss about teaching people to dance. Just wondering how many people feel the same about some of their dance teachers.

Ob. I don't think this about every dance teacher just a select one or two.
    First off am I not a dance teacher, but just wanting to share my experience. I love photography and setup as a wedding photographer a few years ago. I produced great photo’s but to be told by my customers “we don’t want any of that arty crap”, just make sure aunt X is in the photos.

I no long do photography and run another very successful business that I don’t have to compromise my art, to make money.

To make money has little to do with being a great dancer. Sure you have to be competent. Far more important be a business person as you need a roof over your head. Handle people a defined plus and yes that involves getting people to part with money.

Ceroc pays dance teacher a fixed fee and not a percentage to the door takings and it’s very little. To make money ceroc dance teacher need to do private lessons.

When I left school a great friend told me

Find something you enjoying doing and get someone to pay you to do it

I enjoyed photography so I became a professional photographer

(But I never did weddings)

My first lesson as a photographer was, you are not being paid to take the beautiful landscape on the left, but the ugly factory on the right and I had better make it look as attractive as possible.

So was I doing it for love or money? Well I have to confess, I loved making money, but I also enjoyed the challenge of fulfilling a client’s needs, if making money was my sole aim, there were better-paid jobs around

I left photography to set up a hot air balloon company and I was soon ostracised by private balloon pilots, who felt there was something immoral about earning money, doing something they did for fun. A point of view I cannot understand

If I go to a lesson or freestyle I am not interested in have much money the organiser is making or their motivation. I want a value for money, enjoyable experience

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by philsmove View Post
    If I go to a lesson or freestyle I am not interested in have much money the organiser is making or their motivation. I want a value for money, enjoyable experience
    If I've learnt one thing about your average person who attends MJ events, this is it. People who come to MJ, in the main, aren't short of money. However, they do want value for money and they do value their time. You couldn't give them a sub-standard product because they value their time more than that - on the other hand, they will pay more for a premium product.

I think that it is reasonable to say that if a club is still going and well attended after 6 months...then it follows that the teacher is good enough to keep dancers coming week after week...If they are still going after 5 years they must be good...

Teachers should not become complacent.. as we are only as good as our last night.

If the teaching quality is poor then the dancers will vote with their feet...and dance do a quick step to a better organiser.

Good or bad news travels fast dancers usaully ask themselves the following

1. Is the venue good?
    2. Is the teaching good?
    3. Is the music good?
    4. Was the routine good?
    5. Will my friends be there?
    6. Did I enjoy myself?

I guess the ladies will also ask themselves..
    a. Is the venue safe?
    b. Is the area safe? (parking and walking to and from)
    c. Are there any creeps there?

Have I missed any thing off of these lists?

I trust there is nothing here which is too contentious..

....just to inform you that not every venue makes money, some of us are so passionate about having somewhere to dance that we cover the costs ourselves....

Quote Originally Posted by Reet Petite View Post
    ....just to inform you that not every venue makes money, some of us are so passionate about having somewhere to dance that we cover the costs ourselves....
    I agree, if it was not for my loyal friends and supporters during the first couple of months helping to cover the venue hire cost, it would not have been economical viable to continue..

Some venues prices are really silly... I hope your club is still going strong..

New clubs/teachers really need supporters like yourself and your friends and in the end if it is a good club it will go from strength to strength.. and be an even bettr place to dance..

Thread Information