Thread: Ireland Visit

Ireland Visit

My girlfriend and I are thinking of heading over to the Republic of Ireland for a visit in late September/Early October time.

Has anyone got any recommendations for a weeks visit?

The actual location has not been decided and we are pretty happy to see anything but one of the prerequisites is to just enjoy some of the beautiful scenery.

I was thinking County Cork and a cottage type thing (anyone seen the film "The Holiday"? )but, apart from that, Im not sure.

Maybe a coastal drive holiday.

I would really appreciate any feedback or recommendations.

Re: Ireland Visit

I have a lot of family over in Donegal and spent a lot of time there when I was young. It's a gorgeous part of the world. Although it's Southern Ireland, it's over in the North West. The coastal routes are beautiful and it's almost like going back in time. I can still remember the excitement when they got mains power and telephones in

I used to travel there from Scotland, so it was easy to get to, but I suppose it's a bit of a trek if you're coming from the south. Anyway, that's my tuppence worth. I'm sure you won't be disappointed if you go...

If you are in Co. Cork - then of course Kinsale is fantastic fun (the yachting/sailing capital - great places to stay/eat/drink)- and probably a good time to go is Sep/Oct. Many happy memories....

I spent a year in Cork - however, I much prefer up the West Coast - and I strongly recommend the buzzing town of Westport (infinitely better than Galway imho).

Then - after that, Connemara, Cliffs of Moher....and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aran_Islands

Bunratty of course if you want to see how people lived in the past
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bunratty_Castle#Folk_Park

Doolin - maybe a bit touristy now.

Enjoy - it is a very special part of the world!

You could do the Irish equivalent of Highway 1 I guess....(do people do that).

Great ideas so far. Thanks so much.

Its the sequence of events type thing that I would love to get. Finding individual places and things is fine but to be able to do a string of sights is great.

Sounds like the W / NW of Ireland is winning so far!!

Quote Originally Posted by JiveLad View Post
    If you are in Co. Cork - then of course Kinsale is fantastic fun
    I strongly recommend the buzzing town of Westport

I agree, Kinsale is very pretty, one of my cousins lived in Westport before moving to Galway.I liked the town and we travelled to Connamara from there. If you are going to Cork travel down through Youghal a lovely town that was founded by the Quakers and also the setting for the film 'Moby Dick', there is a pub on the sea front with all the memorabilia. Visit to the beaches along the SE, Dungarvin for example, not a great town but drive out the ways and you will find fabulous beaches and even secluded coves, you might find them a wee bit romantic Paul.

If you are coming out of Cork head for Kerry, has I think the most dramatic scenery, and the landscape just changes so much as you come nearer to Kerry. Tip down to the Dingle and the Gaeltact country where the first language is Irish, beautiful beaches and fish restaurants. Also the Ring of Kerry and a trip across to Valencia Island, it absolutely poured down unfortunately when I was there last.

In Kerry there is more traditional Irish music than where I am from, that being Monaghan, so you should sample some good ceilis.

If you head over to Clare you must go and visit the Burren, fabulous limestone sceanary.
    Have a great time wherever you decide to travel to.
    Rosie x
    Last edited by rubyred; 20th-August-2008 at 07:17 PM.
    if you love the life you live then you'll get a lot more done

Another vote for the West. Been a while since I've holidayed in Ireland (been using up all my leave/cash on dance weekends and hols in the sun the past few years) but a nice break a few years ago was down the West Coast. We stopped in Galway city for dinner (there was a nice pedestrian street with a great range of restaurants with outside dining as I recall, lots of great fish dishes), stayed a night or two in Clifden, a lovely town right in the heart of Connemara - some amazing scenery, mountains, beaches etc. Then on down to Clare - we did one of those 'medieval banquet' things (lots of American tourists but it was in a real castle and it was fun, entertainment, quaffing mead etc), over the Burren - there are Ailwee Caves if you want to explore under the Burren as well (which you will recognise if you watch Father Ted) and on to the Cliffs of Moher.

Another time I was down round Kinsale, which is lovely. I haven't actually explored that much of Kerry yet - but last time my parents were down they took a boat trip out to visit Funghi - the local dolphin.

Eating out is expensive - there doesn't seem to be the range of 'budget' type restaurants that you would get in a city - even pub food is dear. Having said that, the food is great and there are some excellent restaurants.

Don't bother with hotels - go for B&Bs. Not only do you get great breakfasts (some with lots of lovely home cooked, local, organic produce) but usually a friendly and personal welcome, with someone able to give you advice on what to see or where to visit. (Last time I stayed in a B&B in Ireland, the hostess, after making our breakfast, made herself a cuppa and sat down and joined us at breakfast for a chat!)

Don't count on the weather being great - I've been away in April when it snowed overnight and was sunny during the day (paddling in the rather cold sea on a beach in Connemara, with clear blue skies and snow topped mountains behind me is one memory from that trip) and been away in July when it was so grey and wet we could hardly see the top of buildings never mind mountains! The scenery is spectacular if its sunny, but if it does get wet and grey - there are lots of little craft shops, many with coffee shops attached, to wander round and plenty of pubs with live music to snuggle into in the evenings.

Hey Paul

If you are thinking of going to Cork IMHO Skibereen (where I come from) and the surrounding coastland is beautiful
    Not very far away is the Mizen Head which is the tip of Cork and stunning and the fish restaurants around Union Hall are to die for There is also Bantry Bay and Baltimore which are close by and great for a visit
    If you are looking for a bit of culture Skibereen has a great museum about the Irish Famine (I realise that is a bit morbid but I love history)

I hope that you have a fab holiday because wherever you go in Ireland you will have a great time>

What a coicidence! I am about to go to Co. Cork for 6 weeks, working - I leave on Monday.

I have been googling to find places to dance in Cork! Have contacted a Salsa place, and I think they do some Tango as well.

M

Commercial Operator

Having visited every county in Ireland, (South & North), I'd say they are all good suggestions so far. Though my favourite would be the Burren and Co. Clare, somewhere you can really get away from it all, and a unique landscape, with loads of history. Doing a trip with an archealogical guide can be fascinating. If you're lucky with the weather, a trip to the Aran Islands is wonderful, hire a bike when you get there.

And if you find yourself in Waterford, don't forget to check out the dancing!

Oh, and if you're in Cork in October, when the International jazz festival is on, then the music will be everywhere, but you'd need to be booking your accommodation now...

Greg

Quote Originally Posted by Sheepman View Post

And if you find yourself in Waterford, don't forget to check out the dancing!

The web page is www.jiveinferno.com and its run by Lekan.

Also check out Tango Ireland for their classes in Dublin, used to be run by Monika at Wynns Hotel.
    if you love the life you live then you'll get a lot more done

Obviously this depends on your being interested in history (if not, stop right now!) but if you are in the Cork area it's worth spending some time in Cobh - it's a pretty enough place in its own right, and it's also where the Titanic left from and where more than 2 million migrants to America last saw Ireland.

There's a good guided "Titanic Tour" round the significant points in the town (The Titanic Trail Cobh, Cork tour information), and also an excellent museum telling the migrants' story (Irish Genealogy Reserach: Cobh Heritage Centre, County Cork, Ireland, Home Page which is largely indoors if it's raining!

And if you're based in Cork you can always go to Blarney Castle and kiss the stone - quite a "touristy" setting though.

Looks like we all agree...I also reccomend Galway City, out to Connemara (there's an amazing beach I think called Coral Beach that's worth finding) then back along the coastal road to the Burrin which is an amazing landscape...(and another golden beach called Fanore)...continue on to the Cliffs of Moher (but don't look down )...and you could probably follow a coastal route all the way down to the Ring of Kerry. But if you just decided to do Kinsale and that Southern coastal route you wouldn't be disappointed either...you just need to take plenty of Euro's though as the culinary delights are top class ... oh and don't forget your wellies

Thankyou all so much for the advice. It really is very much appreciated.

I have recently found out that my girlfriend has been to Cork so it looks like we might be using Galway as a lauchpad.

It does all look absolutely beauitiful - rain or shine!

Edit -- One last question for an Ireland newbie like me - I was wondering if the stories of hearing live Irish music in the pubs and bars in Ireland was actually true?
    We would love to be able to go out to some pubs while over there to experience just that but i wasn't sure if it is actually done anymore. Anyone know?
    Last edited by Paul F; 26th-August-2008 at 10:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul F View Post

Edit -- One last question for an Ireland newbie like me - I was wondering if the stories of hearing live Irish music in the pubs and bars in Ireland was actually true?
    We would love to be able to go out to some pubs while over there to experience just that but i wasn't sure if it is actually done anymore. Anyone know?
    Oh yes, oh yes!

I'm guessing you mean what one of my friends at Murphy's called "diddly-aye" music. Tin whistle, fiddle, Irish drum (whatever they are called), maybe guitar/mandolin.

You might have to search it out - and ask around - and of course there are degrees of authenticity. The best is the spontaneous stuff, I remember one such wonderful evening at Kinvarra in the West.

In Galway, there was the famous Sunday lunchtime place (can't remember the name) - which got jam packed - but that was more jazzy. Great though.

I never experienced so much "diddly-aye" in Cork city itself - there it seemed more singing - Irish rebel songs etc. Slightly unnerving when you are the only English guy in the place.....

Absolutely true - the "craic" should be experienced at least once. It will depend very much on the pub that you go to but try and find places that just advertise a music session, rather than having booked musicians there as the atmosphere tends to be a lot better when musicians just turn up. My Uncloe plays accordian all over Co. Westmeath just by turning up in pubs and it is great - I have been known to dabble in a bit on irish music (but I am not very good )

Quote Originally Posted by JiveLad
    Tin whistle, fiddle, Irish drum (whatever they are called), maybe guitar/mandolin.
    There tends to be fiddle, accordion, bodhran (irish drum), tin whistle, guitar and flute sometimes.

Commercial Operator

But don't ever expect a session to start early, (or when advertised.) If you've had a day walking the hills, you'll probably be ready for your bed, just as the musicians are striking up.

And if you fancy taking up the bodran, I have a lovely example, hardly ever played... a bargain to you sir!

Greg

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Filthy Monkey View Post
    Although it's Southern Ireland, it's over in the North West. ... but I suppose it's a bit of a trek if you're coming from the south.
    er...yes

I was lucky enough to even have a few songs dedicated to me by the local farmers in Bantry bay (with a kit kat thrown in for good measure) - Ireland is great fun.

To fair you cant really go wrong with ireland

I'm going to hi-jack Paul's thread.

I am staying at Fota Island, and our base is in Cobh, so I have been reading the appropriate posts with great interest.

Dizzy, I am going to check out the Jive place if it's not too far for me to drive to.

If anyone has any more suggestions about where to eat, drink or play in the Cobh area I would be very gratefull - I'm here until early Oct.

It's flippin' expensive though!!!

M

Thread Information