Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: Gary Glitter - does he deserve it

Re: Gary Glitter - does he deserve it

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe View Post
    Not really, Michael Barrymore has not had such a good time in the press and he has not been found guilty of anything either. MJ's accusations and very odd behaviour could be publicised more as they are all true - is it because he is simply more popular.

I think that people just feel a bit sorry for MJ. He's a bit of a sad character really

Maybe it's time to forgive.

Perhaps Gary could be part of London 20102 opening ceremony - to show our forgiveness to the world.

After all, we have already started, by showcasing Myra Hindley at the 2008 Olympic party - see Beijing Olympics: Boris Johnson and Downing St condemn Myra Hindley London 2012 image - Telegraph

An Eclectic Toaster

Quote Originally Posted by JiveLad View Post
    Maybe it's time to forgive.

Perhaps Gary could be part of London 20102 opening ceremony - to show our forgiveness to the world.
    Oh how very forgiving of you - the guy'll be at least 18,158 years old then, and the only sports running will be "Cockroach Radiation Level Testing" and "Writing a New Verse For Zager and Evans' Which Somehow Scans".

Which come to think of it, seem to be good events to associate Mr Gadd with.

Oh wait, thought of another event. A sponsored jog round the old 2012 Olympic Stadium, to raise cash to help pay off the remaining debts from the 2012 Games...

The Dashing Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart M View Post
    Zager and Evans
    Love dance, will travel

Quote Originally Posted by JiveLad View Post
    After all, we have already started, by showcasing Myra Hindley at the 2008 Olympic party - see Beijing Olympics: Boris Johnson and Downing St condemn Myra Hindley London 2012 image - Telegraph
    The people who put her in the ‘photo shoot’ must be aware of the feed back that would get.

She’s become almost an icon

There is a new book out called "Afraid" by Sharon McGovern.

Born in 1960, she was abused between the ages of 4 and 17 by her step father.

She ran away a few times as a teen, so was assigned a social worker.

He asked her why she kept running away from home she said "my Dad rapes me and I can't take anymore"

He called her a liar!

Her mother and father came across as pretty weak characters, as were her other relatives.

The step father Mick Garvey, was a petty crook, but the police believed she was a liar.

Recently aged 46, she took Mick Garvey to court in Liverpool.

At the first trial the jury only found him guilty of 2 charges, and he got a 4 year prison sentance.

She managed to get a re-trial and this time the Jury found him guilty of all the charges.

He was sentanced to 18 years.

It is a harrowing book to read, but it's right to bear witness to other people's terrible ordeals. it gives great insite into the signs of sexual abuse to watch out for.

McGovern says that the most common age for children to be targetted is between 7 and 10 years old.

I don't remember reading anything about it in the newspapers.

Quote Originally Posted by Astro View Post
    ...The step father Mick Garvey, was a petty crook, but the police believed she was a liar...
    In a study I read about (in a quality newspaper or magazine), about identifying likely future child abusers before they committed their first crime, the best indicator was simply previous (non-sexual) criminal activity.

Quote Originally Posted by frodo View Post
    In a study I read about (in a quality newspaper or magazine), about identifying likely future child abusers before they committed their first crime, the best indicator was simply previous (non-sexual) criminal activity.
    Presumably you mean previous criminal activity for which they got caught, otherwise the information on their activities would be unknown.

Personally, I'd be sceptical of this. Probably the vast majority of people have broken the law (with or without being caught) at some point, which is by definition criminal activity. That doesn't make the majority of the population nonces.

Interesting add last night any one see it ?

Majority of paedophiles are under 24

Im not sure if it was aprelued to some programme this week, some sky channel

Quote Originally Posted by frodo View Post
    What's going on, seems a lot of grown up women are writing about ther abused childhoods, and taking the perp to court.

I spotted another new book called "Daddy's Little Earner" by Maria Landon.

She was born in 1966.

I've got up to where she's 9 years old and her natural father is "breaking her in" - having penetrative sex with her, with a view prostituting her at a later date.

He is in and out of prison too - she gets to go to a nice foster home when he's gone, but it is usually a few weeks only.

This father was diagnosed Shrizophenic.

The two youngest boys are fostered and her mother, who was forced on the game by the father and beaten up a lot, escaped.

The mother begged the social sevices not to leave Maria and her other brother with the father, saying he has always threatened to put the daughter on the game, but they ignored her warnings.

This father is violent and incredibly cruel to the kids too.

He is an incredibly charming and popular man. Everyone things he's great for looking after his kids on his own.

Quote Originally Posted by Astro View Post
    What's going on, seems a lot of grown up women are writing about ther abused childhoods
    Is it just me, or does anyone else find all these "I was abused and look how horrible it was" books somewhat distasteful? What does it say about the reading public that we buy these books by the cart-load? Surely the place for such stories is the courtroom, not the best-seller listings.

Quote Originally Posted by Baruch View Post
    Is it just me, or does anyone else find all these "I was abused and look how horrible it was" books somewhat distasteful? What does it say about the reading public that we buy these books by the cart-load? Surely the place for such stories is the courtroom, not the best-seller listings.

I have to say that I can't read these books, but I am aware of them and their content. I find them quite voyeuristic and wonder why such painful memories have to aired so publically, and why do people gain entertainment from other people's misery? Yes I know that writing can be therapeutic, and can help someone make sense of things, but what motivates someone to expose themselves ? That is not a critisism by the way of the authors, but a question. I suppose vulnerability, self esteem, or lack of it, insecurities and an agent all too ready to make money out of it or some form of altruism may be the reason. Perhaps the readers have secure lives and would never come into contact with child abuse or have any other knowledge about it other than what they read in these books.

I have to add that people's stories they are very personal, and will be remembered by the person in a subjective way, therefore memories can be distorted and facts can be skewed. The mind will protect itself, and block out some things that are too painful. Therefore if someone reads these stories and thinks that they are getting a full picture of what child abuse is all about, they are not in my opinion getting a full account, but really getting one person's account of their very private and personal experience, also written with a view to selling to a market.
    Last edited by rubyred; 2nd-September-2008 at 01:19 AM.
    if you love the life you live then you'll get a lot more done

Blog Entries

I cant watch anything or read anything that involves the harming of children. Real accounts of peoples childhoods anything like that i just cant cope with. I stuggle with any child harm or upset. If i see a child crying in the street i always check what they are crying about and have often got myself in heated problems for stepping in when i feel a parent is being a wanker which many of them are.

I'll give you an example. How many of you have seen youngsters crying or getting a clout or being screamed at when the mother is going shopping in say Dorothy Perkins/Wallis or Next. When i see this, i want to get the mother by the scruff of the neck and say to them, do you not realise how friggin boring this is for your kid and you should take stuff for them to do if you want to spend your morning draggin the poor bugger around the shops. I see red if i see an adult put their hands on a child and i will always rightly or wrongly, get involved. I know that i should not but its one of my achilies heels.

Quote Originally Posted by Baruch View Post
    I took them both out of the library. I admit they are not the sort of books you would want to keep.
    Quote Originally Posted by rubyred View Post

I have to add that people's stories they are very personal, and will be remembered by the person in a subjective way, therefore memories can be distorted and facts can be skewed. The mind will protect itself, and block out some things that are too painful. Therefore if someone reads these stories and thinks that they are getting a full picture of what child abuse is all about, they are not in my opinion getting a full account, but really getting one person's account of their very private and personal experience, also written with a view to selling to a market.
    Agree. Sharon and Maria differ in that no matter what Maria's father does, she still loves him and continues to seek his approval, even running away from safety to live with him time and time again.

Whereas Sharon hates her step father fullstop.

Thread Information