Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Gary Glitter - does he deserve it

Re: Gary Glitter - does he deserve it

Quote Originally Posted by David Bailey View Post

Possibly - got any figures?
    Have you not seen trouble lately...Got a lovely figure.

You of all men I would have expected to notice.

You Tango God you.

Ps and you are quite tall and devilishly handsome, and an all round good egg and a snappy dresser to boot.

DTS XXX XXX

Whether crime is going up or down, all the research shows that fear of crime greatly outways the the actually risk of crime.

With regards to child abuse, the fear of this has greatly gone up. As a child i was left to play outside unsupervised and yet many parents i know are too scared to let their children play outside on their own or to trust strangers. And yet there is no evidence that child abuse has increased, its more that there is greater public awareness and that much more of it is being detected. I doubt that 50 years ago people like glitter would have been caught or prosecuted.

Children do need to be protectec but within reasonable ways and so that they dont loose out of the fun of childhood.

Quote Originally Posted by cat View Post
    Whether crime is going up or down, all the research shows that fear of crime greatly outways the the actually risk of crime.

With regards to child abuse, the fear of this has greatly gone up. As a child i was left to play outside unsupervised and yet many parents i know are too scared to let their children play outside on their own or to trust strangers. And yet there is no evidence that child abuse has increased, its more that there is greater public awareness and that much more of it is being detected. I doubt that 50 years ago people like glitter would have been caught or prosecuted.

Children do need to be protectec but within reasonable ways and so that they dont loose out of the fun of childhood.
    The most balanced and sensible post on here so far.

Rep on the way.
    DTS XXX XXX

Quote Originally Posted by Astro View Post
    He said he would return to Bristol, where he used to live.
    I am please to say there are no flights from Bangkok to Bristol

Quote Originally Posted by philsmove View Post
    I am please to say there are no flights from Bangkok to Bristol

He is in Hong Kong now, but I am not sure he is large on Bristol, or likes large Bristols (his preference being little ones)

As he has a spare 5M, maybe he could stay at my place and pay 1M rent, up front (non-refundable)... it could help with the bills... until he finds a place to stay, that he likes... after all, not everyone wants to stay in the UK.

Quote Originally Posted by Twirly View Post
    If you meant that they have the same potential to commit abuse as men, that is true. But it's as useful as saying that all men are potential rapists, just because they have the equipment!

I don't get it? How can a woman rape a child?

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Shnikov View Post
    Where DO you get this crap from?
    {Wearily} Until comparitively recently a wife and children were, by law, the chattels of a man, not people in their own right.

A husband and father could do anything he wanted to his wife and children, and the law couldn't touch him.

The exception being murder.
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    As to background reading on breaking in your child... you could try..
    "Family, sex and marriage in England 1500 - 1800 : Lawrence Stone : Harper and Row 1977 NY"
    Does it mention "breaking in" daughters there? It's like breaking and entry.

They usually stopped once the daughter got her periods, then moved on to the next youngest sister.

There has always been child abuse, I think in the case of non relatives, the community used to take the law into their own hands.

So there would be less police recorded peodophile crime.

Also it not that long ago that child abuse was brought out of the closet.

No one used to discuss the subject.
    Last edited by Astro; 21st-August-2008 at 12:56 PM.

{Wearily} Until comparitively recently a wife and children were, by law, the chattels of a man, not people in their own right.

Women do sexually abuse children, although the numbers of reported incidences are fewer than for males. This does not necessarily mean that it happens less frequently amongst women, but that it may not be reported by children.

Sex abuse is not just about sexual penetration. Children have reported incidents of sex abuse where they have been made to do things which constitute that they have been raped, without them being sexually penetrated, although women have used other impliments or fingers to penetrate, as have men. The definition of rape includes the intention of the perpetrator to use force , threatening and violent behaviour to gain what they want. Children are threatened by the perprator in all sorts of ways which includes them being made to believe that their mother or father will be killed if they do not go along with what the perpetrator wants them to do.

There have been laws existent against incest and even within the confines of marriage and parenthood, there has been legislation which has addressed this issue. As far as I am aware it has never been acceptable within English law for a child to be sexually exploited by a parent.

Child sex abuse is not a new phenomena, and has come more to light in the last few decades partly as a result of the safeguarding agencies, which include education, health, police and social service having more information and training in the subject, and children being listened to and believed more.

Paul Gadd would be subjected to measures of safeguarding if he were to return to Britain, whether these are enough is a matter of opinion. Castration whether it be by surgery or chemical would not solve this crime because as I have said sex abuse is about more than penetration.

There are many projects around for working with sex offenders and in particular children who sexually abuse other children. The sucess rates of these are difficult to report on because the reoccurance of the offence by said perpetrator can only become known if someone reports they have been assaulted by that person. It is my experience that sex offenders are very charming and sociopathic individuals who are well schooled at grooming because they have to be. It is also my experience that offenders who operate outside the family, and are not known in a familial way with the child, have placed themselves in occupations and positions of control and trust, where they can gain access to children. It is hoped that a rational approach to believing that ALL workers in the professions who work with children are not potential sex abusers ,but it is healthy to be aware of the power we have in our role with the public and never abuse that power.

Whilst some things have bordered on what may seem silly, ie not being able to put a plaster on a child or give a child a hug when they need comforting, there are ways of working professionally that can conteract that. For example two people being present, getting permission from the parent. With regards to hugging and other physical contact with a child, I would see that in a professional relationship with a child then this is not just about the protection of the worker but also for the child.
    if you love the life you live then you'll get a lot more done

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Shnikov View Post
    Where DO you get this crap from?
    Not from me this time

No one used to discuss the subject.
    Thank god

I didn't suggest that (though agree whole-heartedly with Ruby's post). I was saying that just because someone has the potential to do something doesn't mean that they are going to do it - and to illustrate it using the old chestnut of feminists saying that all men should be locked up as they are potential rapists.

DTS was saying that:

Not every child molester is a man, women are just as likely to abuse children as men.
    I pointed out that the "just as likely" part simply isn't true. Men are more likely to be the abusers. Women do abuse, but it's less common.

Am I being clear now?

Ceroc N.I. Franchise Owner drathzel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
    Sounds like a plan to me also.

Why do you think this country is going to pot. Because we have no control over any of our criminals, none at all. Criminals have nothing to fear apart from a nice comfy cell, three meals a day and a bed at night. They even get films, tv's, visits, blah blah blah.

Im in favour of corporal punishment returning and yes it would be difficult but when will we realise that we can not continue as we are.

Pedos' are a different breed in my eyes though. Different in that they are always conning and tricking their way into kids pants. They will do anything to get them and are NOT curable.

So yes Trampy, it does sound like a plan.
    I'm with you two! Sounds like the beginnings of an angry mob!!

Quote Originally Posted by rubyred View Post
    Sex abuse is not just about sexual penetration. Children have reported incidents of sex abuse where they have been made to do things which constitute that they have been raped, without them being sexually penetrated, although women have used other impliments or fingers to penetrate, as have men. The definition of rape includes the intention of the perpetrator to use force , threatening and violent behaviour to gain what they want. Children are threatened by the perprator in all sorts of ways which includes them being made to believe that their mother or father will be killed if they do not go along with what the perpetrator wants them to do.
    I understand now.
    There have been laws existent against incest and even within the confines of marriage and parenthood, there has been legislation which has addressed this issue. As far as I am aware it has never been acceptable within English law for a child to be sexually exploited by a parent.
    That's good to hear.
    That it has always been illegal - incest.

It's not long ago though that police didn't like to interfere in domestics.
    I think it was 1997 when the law was change so that a man could be charged with raping his wife.
    Up until then it was called the husbands "congugal rights"
    Quote Originally Posted by Twirly View Post
    I didn't suggest that (though agree whole-heartedly with Ruby's post). I was saying that just because someone has the potential to do something doesn't mean that they are going to do it - and to illustrate it using the old chestnut of feminists saying that all men should be locked up as they are potential rapists.

I pointed out that the "just as likely" part simply isn't true. Men are more likely to be the abusers. Women do abuse, but it's less common.

Am I being clear now?
    yes, get you now Twirly.

The latest is that Gadd was in a Thailand airport terminal for 14 hours because the Thais won't allow him into Thailand.

They are putting him on a Thai plane to London.

Apparently the British govt intend not to ever let him leave britain again.

No wonder he doesn't want to return.

Plus he insists he is innocent and is going to write a book.

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The latest is that Gadd was in a Thailand airport terminal for 14 hours because the Thais won't allow him into Thailand.
    Come on, let's admit it - it's quite funny, really, isn't it?

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Maybe he is, he always claimed he was. -Here is a profile

Makes me wonder what percentage of male teachers are peodophiles.
    Didn't Paul Gadd a.k.a. gary glitter used to be a teacher?
    As a male primary school teacher myself, I find that EXTREMELY offensive. We have enough crap to put up with as it is - we have to be extra-careful in how we are seen to be dealing with children, whereas female teachers don't have to because they are much less likely to be accused of kiddy fiddling. Oh, and it only takes one unfounded allegation from a child or parent with an axe to grind to ruin a career and a life, even if it is proven to be false. Mud sticks.

Quote Originally Posted by dave the scaffolder View Post
    And why do you all think there is such a shortage of male teachers in our society.
    Exactly. I enjoy teaching, but I'm heartily sick of all the extra precautions I have to take just because I'm a man and thus an easier target for malicious allegations. The world has gone mad. If I'd known before I did my teacher training what I know now, I'd have gone into some other line of work where my motives wouldn't be called into question by tabloid readers.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Bartholomew View Post
    With all the teachers that are pedophiles, it does make you wonder how cr@p all the other applicants for the job were.
    And thus the vast majority of us, who are law-abiding and only want the best for the children in our care, are tarred with the same brush as a tiny minority of perverts (that exists in all walks of life) by the ignorant and the mob-minded.

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Baruch View Post
    And thus the vast majority of us, who are law-abiding and only want the best for the children in our care, are tarred with the same brush as a tiny minority of perverts (that exists in all walks of life) by the ignorant and the mob-minded.

I agree. My comment was mearly a light hearted joke. See my other posts on the subject.

I feel for the people who work with children. I am sure that it is hard not only with the point Baruch made but with alot of them becomming more and more unruley.

And, indeed, apparently, people do buy such books in their thousands !!!

(I do hope the 'credit crunch' has an effect on that.)

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Whitebeard View Post
    And, indeed, apparently, people do buy such books in their thousands !!!
    You'd think they'd just buy the one

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe View Post
    You'd think they'd just buy the one

To such authors pedantics like this are immaterial.

... I doubt that 50 years ago people like glitter would have been caught or prosecuted. ...
    Well as PC's, let alone the Internet didn't exist, that is likely.

I remember reading an article about Glitter's Vietnamese conviction in a quality paper from an observer at the trial.

He thought there was quite a bit of doubt as to whether he was actually guilty, though not as to his stupidity.

It is an interesting question whether it would matter, if he wasn't guilty.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by frodo View Post
    He thought there was quite a bit of doubt as to whether he was actually guilty, though not as to his stupidity.

It is an interesting question whether it would matter, if he wasn't guilty.
    Gary Glitter - not guilty, the two words dont go well together. Is the justice system still that bad that we could actually put an innocent man down. I dont know the in's and out;s of what that pervert did but i have always been of an opinion there is no smoke without fire. I have not heard him protesting his innocence anyway, has anyone else?

Thread Information