Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Gary Glitter - does he deserve it

Blog Entries

Re: Gary Glitter - does he deserve it

Quote Originally Posted by cat View Post
    maybe it is worth considering is that many of these people have been abused and damaged themselves. If i remember rightly (ie im probably wrong) i think about 50% of sex offenders were abused themselves as children. This by no means implies that everyone who is abused goes on to abuse themselves, but might help understand a factor in why some people do it. There are a lot of personality factors and ways their own trauma occured that can also be correlated with peole who abuse children.
    i understand that but it still doesn't take away from the fact that these people are a risk 100% of the time for ever. There has to be a permanent solution found surely. Its not like an alcoholic who only abuses themselves permanently when they fall off the wagon is it. And Cat to be quite honest, do you not get sick of hearing about how hard done by these sick bastards are when they were abused by their dad or mum. I find that even more insulting and to be quite honest makes me want to puke.

Quote Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
    . Should we not be supportive of a man that has done a crime but has served his punishment and therefore left alone.
    I am normally in favour of giving someone who has criminal convictions a chance to reintegrate back into society and it is also to society’s benefit that this happens. In my work many of our clients are coming back into the community after a forensic section. But when it comes to child abuse and convicted paedophiles I am odds with my own opinions.

As for Gary Glitter, he would not be able to lead a normal life here in the UK because he would not be anonymous, but I am sure he will disappear to some unsuspecting country and sadly continue his behaviour.

Blog Entries

i dont get this new forum change either, keep loosing threads im following. wots that all about.?

Im not defending them at all, what they do is very very wrong. But sometimes its helps people to understand why people might do things that sound so bad. Your right, they are a huge risk, and probably most of them need to be in prison for life. I certainly dont think the current system of community monitoring is adequate. But neither do i support media and community hounding, especialy as a few do change.

Quote Originally Posted by David Bailey View Post
    The point is, he has faced the music. It's called prison.

So the question is, how much should he be hounded by the media circus, who are just looking for cheap headlines?

A week? A year? The rest of his life? Or until it stops selling papers? I'll take a wild guess that it's the latter...

Wasn’t there going to be 15 UK policemen waiting for him at the Airport

Probably would have served papers on him in front of the cameras etc etc

He has done his time if he is that dangerous put him back in prison

Also I note he would be using the NHS re heart stuff , no mention of the millions in Taxes he has paid

Im not defending the perfert but if he is dangerous then the anger should be at the judge for letting him get out

Its not like an alcoholic who only abuses themselves permanently when they fall off the wagon is it. And Cat to be quite honest, do you not get sick of hearing about how hard done by these sick bastards are when they were abused by their dad or mum. I find that even more insulting and to be quite honest makes me want to puke.
    You ok with alcoholics wife beaters then?

I’m afraid alcoholics rarely just cause harm to themselves

Quote Originally Posted by Astro View Post
    Makes me wonder what percentage of male teachers are peodophiles.
    Didn't Paul Gadd a.k.a. gary glitter used to be a teacher?
    You know years ago a male friend of mine liked to go on walks, he felt self conscious because of people like you i.e. a lone man walking on his own in the woods/parks must be a pedophile. A sad reflection on society. He use to therefore borrow my dog

Commercial Operator

They should let this chap loose on him....

Quote Originally Posted by StokeBloke View Post
    Congratulations. That has to be one of the broadest, sweeping, man hating comments I have ever read!
    [/quote] It's a serious subject. Children don't have much of a voice
    Quote Originally Posted by Tessalicious View Post
    It is no wonder that it is getting more and more difficult to recruit teachers, when accusations of paedophilia get so easily bandied around. My father is a male teacher in a girls' school. He is a teacher because he is good at it, and because he cares about developing the knowledge of the next generation and giving them a chance at a good future. If he were to consider taking up teaching today for the first time, having to battle against that kind of attitude, it is likely that a long list of kids would suffer for the lack of such a skilled and devoted educator.
    What percentage of the UK male population are peodophiles? We will never know. We only have figures for the one's who are caught and found guilty.

I personally have male friends who are teachers.
    I made the comment so that teachers can be on the alert for suspicious behaviour.
    That guy who murdered those girls at Soham was a school caretaker.

On the other hand, you get teenage girls who have crushes on male teachers and make false allegations against them. They may even be convicted falsely.
    Anyone of any sex and any profession might abuse children. Professionally Iv known a lot of people who have been abused, and none of them were abused by teachers. The majority were by family members, some of whom were female.
    In England there used to be a tradition where fathers "broke in" their daughters and it was not against the law.
    Those countries/religions who insist on blood on the sheets on the wedding night have got to be more moral.
    How many children have been sexually assulted by their father, brother, uncles, grandfathers etc.,?

maybe it is worth considering is that many of these people have been abused and damaged themselves. If i remember rightly (ie im probably wrong) i think about 50% of sex offenders were abused themselves as children. This by no means implies that everyone who is abused goes on to abuse themselves, but might help understand a factor in why some people do it. There are a lot of personality factors and ways their own trauma occured that can also be correlated with peole who abuse children.
    Yes that's true Cat.
    Also wife beaters are more likely to beat their own wives, women marry violent men , women be more violent with their own kids - if they grew up
    in a violent home.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe View Post

Probably not, but it was a particularly stupid comment.
    Apologies to the vast majority of teachers who care about children.
    Last edited by Astro; 20th-August-2008 at 02:23 PM.

I made the comment so that teachers can be on the alert for suspicious behaviour.
    That guy who murdered those girls at Soham was a school caretaker.

How many children have been sexually assulted by their father, brother, uncles, grandfathers etc.,?

Also wife beaters are more likely to beat their own wives,
    Apologies to the vast majority of teachers who care about children.

Ok your a man hater got that sorted

Yes I assume a wife beater is more likely to beat their own wifes rather then a third parties They call them hoodies

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by stewart38 View Post
    Wasn’t there going to be 15 UK policemen waiting for him at the Airport
    Sounds about right. A great use of our policing resources there.

An Eclectic Toaster

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuart M View Post
    Someone arrest Sting now!

OK, so Astro's logic is b******s, but surely, since his performance in Dune, the authorities would happily use any pretext?
    I thought he played a mad harkonen extremely well - i LIKED Dune
    Well, OK - case dismissed.

But I can construct a very good charge of plagiarism for "Russians".

Gawd, it's getting harder derailing threads, ain't it, smurfy?

And why do you all think there is such a shortage of male teachers in our society.

Not every child molester is a man, women are just as likely to abuse children as men.

As I said at the start of this thread, this is a very emotive subject.

Lots and lots of knee jerk reactions from everyone not just on this forum but at large in real life.

We as a society cannot, and should not, terminate people. So what do we do?

And therein lies the rub my lovely.s.

DTS XXX XXX

Quote Originally Posted by dave the scaffolder View Post
    Not every child molester is a man, women are just as likely to abuse children as men.
    They are? I've never heard that one before. Admittedly, I suspect that abuse by women of children or partners does tend to still be downplayed and more happens than is made public I've no doubt, but I don't think that women actually commit as much as abuse than men.

If you meant that they have the same potential to commit abuse as men, that is true. But it's as useful as saying that all men are potential rapists, just because they have the equipment!

Quote Originally Posted by dave the scaffolder View Post
    Lots and lots of knee jerk reactions from everyone not just on this forum but at large in real life.

We as a society cannot, and should not, terminate people. So what do we do?

And therein lies the rub my lovely.s.

DTS XXX XXX
    And on that one, I agree with you.

In terms of Thai law, GG has done his time. Whether you agree that he was charged with the correct offence is not relevant anymore. What is relevant is the risk he poses to children. I hope that he is appropriately assessed and then monitored when he does come back, and that he does not offend again. If it was decided to lock him up, then he would be quite validly claim that his human rights had been violated.

Having said that, Beo and I were staying with friends in Bristol at the weekend. We were sat outside a pub having Sunday lunch with my friend's two sons aged 2 and 5, who were running riot all over the garden/play area, and having a great time, along with several other children. Everyone in the garden was keeping an eye out for the kids, and there was a chap keeping an eye on the boys whilst he was helping his daughter play. Later, Beo picked her up when she fell over as she joined in a game with the boys. It was a great atmosphere. I wonder how knowing this guy was potentially a neighbour would affect that.

Dickie Davies' love-child Cruella's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tessalicious View Post
    Sorry Astro, but I find that a really offensive question - what percentage of any type of person (male/female, teacher/policeman/doctor/binman/tramp) are paedophiles? Just because teachers work with kids and teenagers should not make them automatically under suspicion of liking kids in the wrong way (or of acting on that).

It is no wonder that it is getting more and more difficult to recruit teachers, when accusations of paedophilia get so easily bandied around.
    I was called in to the headteachers office recently (as were all the staff, one at a time) to have some child protection training. One of the things we had drummed into us was how statistics showed that the majority of paedophiles take career paths that involve working with children. Unfortunately this does cause suspicion of any of us that work in that environment and it also brings with it many ridiculous rules for us to follow. Things such as not being able to apply suncream or plasters to the children, giving hugs when they are upset, even calling them honey, sweetheart etc! All to protect ourselves from being accused of anything. IMO this is detrimental to the child's wellbeing and it's all due to the accusational opinions of the general public. So by being so paranoid that there are paedophiles waiting to jump on every child, it is causing problems to genuine people trying to create a caring safe environment for those same children.

Quote Originally Posted by Cruella View Post
    All to protect ourselves from being accused of anything. IMO this is detrimental to the child's wellbeing and it's all due to the accusational opinions of the general public. So by being so paranoid that there are paedophiles waiting to jump on every child, it is causing problems to genuine people trying to create a caring safe environment for those same children.
    I used to work in a church and was involved in putting together the CPP. It was long and complicated and to make sure everything was being done properly the co-ordinator made sure everyone who had any contact with children got a copy, was registered , attended training etc. (Seems sensible though parents who help out with other parents on creche during the church services a few times year probably don't need to read a 70 page CPP.)

I think its important to protect children from those who would want to hurt them, but it does seem sad that you aren't supposed to cuddle a child who has fallen over and is crying in case its seen as 'inappropriate'.

[quote=Twirly;493646]They are? I've never heard that one before. Admittedly, I suspect that abuse by women of children or partners does tend to still be downplayed and more happens than is made public I've no doubt, but I don't think that women actually commit as much as abuse than men.

Myra Hindley springs to mind.

DTS XXX XXX

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

Makes me wonder what percentage of male teachers are peodophiles.
    Didn't Paul Gadd a.k.a. gary glitter used to be a teacher?
    With all the teachers that are pedophiles, it does make you wonder how cr@p all the other applicants for the job were.

Astro is right in that the majority of the offences are caused by men.

I remember reading somewhere that most were either Teachers, Scout Masters or in other positions working with children.

Ob. in these positions they need police checks before commencing employment. This does not filter out the ones that have not yet offended.

How many do it as an impulse thing? Maybe working in these professions close to children is more likely to bring it out in these people. Just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by NickC View Post
    Can't we just chop his *******s off, and leave him alone, no threat,
    I wonder if he'll team up for a harmony act with M Jackson and j King, they could call themselves the 3 tenners ie thats thier average partners age

I think we should send them all to a remote island to fend for themselves and let them rot - will save the tax payer millions

--ooOoo--
    Age is a question of mind over matter, if you don't mind, it doesn't matter
    Leroy (Satchel) Paige (1906-1982)

Mickey Mouse's girlfriend, Minnie, made her film debut, along with Mickey, in "Steamboat Willie" on November 18, 1928.
    That date is recognized as her official birthday.

Cool Re: Gary Glitter - does he deserve it

I love this forum.. there's more speculation here than there is at The L.S.E.

Back on topic. As a convicted child molester, Gary Glitter should be treated the same as anyone else. That is, put on the list and closely monitored. Is that enough to stop every kiddie fiddler re-offending? Probably not; but it's pretty much the best option we have available right now.

The problem with the News of the World approach of castration and/or the death penalty as I see it is that it leaves no place to escalate punishment for offences.

I.E:
    a) If you rape a child you get the death penalty.
    b) If you rape then murder a child you get the death penalty.

There would be nothing to encourage an offender not to get rid of the 'evidence'. The "lop off the lot and feed them to the dogs" or "sting 'em all up" approach actually puts children in far more danger! Yes it would stop that one person from physically raping another child. But in the same stroke you would be upping the ante of getting caught. Therefore increasing the lengths that these already morally corrupt people would need to go to to protect themselves from detection.

Maybe you disagree?

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by StokeBloke View Post
    I love this forum.. there's more speculation here than there is at The L.S.E.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiser Chiefs

We are the angry mob
    We read the papers everyday day
    We like who like
    We hate who we hate
    But we're also easily swayed
    ( ) for those with no idea what that is.

The Forum Legend

I do wonder why this problem has not been dealt with in a final way. By that i dont mean death but castration surely has to be the answer. This removes all desires.
    And for people who steal things, we remove their hands. And for people who commit murder, we kill them.

Sounds like a plan to me....

Thread Information