Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: "Credit Crunch"

Re: "Credit Crunch"

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart M View Post
    Fascinating little story concerning Iceland (the country that is, not Kerry Catona's meal ticket), which is currently nearly bankrupt and trying to get bailout cash from other governments - the rest of Scandinavia has already been putting money in.
    Iceland is not part of Scandinavia.... Just to be pedantic.

Because of the financial crisis in Iceland, one of my mates has lost all his savings. He had it all in Icelandic banks, as they were offering very good interest rates. He was just informed today that he's lost it all.

The Norwegian government, on the other hand, has guaranteed the safety of people's savings if it's in Norwegian banks. But then Norway has a few billions of oil money stashed away in case of an emergency.... I wonder if I should move my savings to Norway?

Quote Originally Posted by Little Monkey View Post
    I wonder if I should move my savings to Norway?
    After checking out Norwegian savings accounts - YES, I will definitely move my savings to Norway!!!

Iceland is not part of Scandinavia.... Just to be pedantic.

Because of the financial crisis in Iceland, one of my mates has lost all his savings. He had it all in Icelandic banks, as they were offering very good interest rates. He was just informed today that he's lost it all.

The Norwegian government, on the other hand, has guaranteed the safety of people's savings if it's in Norwegian banks. But then Norway has a few billions of oil money stashed away in case of an emergency.... I wonder if I should move my savings to Norway?
    That 's got to be devastating! But how come lost? I'm guessing your friend's Norwegian? In which case, I know Icesave, among others, were part of the passport exemption scheme, but is there really going to be no Norwegian equivalent to our UK FSCS guarantee?

Rachel

as | work in the luxury market the credit crunch is hitting me hard, so its time I lived within my means.

I was reading in a mag the other day that you can get paid for completing surveys on line but I didn't make a note of the web site any one know it at all?

No he hasn't get him to read the papers

Although how anyone could have more then £50,000 in any individual bank now days beggars believe

Quote Originally Posted by fletch View Post
    as | work in the luxury market the credit crunch is hitting me hard, so its time I lived within my means.

I was reading in a mag the other day that you can get paid for completing surveys on line but I didn't make a note of the web site any one know it at all?

You should be able to do a search to find online surveys which pay. Below is part of a post which I have stolen from the MoneySavingExpert forum, which may give you some ideas. Please bear in mind, however, that I have not looked at any of these and have never done online surveys, so have no idea which are good, bad or otherwise.

---
    "Survey companies I am with:

Valued Opinions (great, averaging about a quid a survey and survey invites come fairly often, I have already had 3 £10 vouchers from them this year and will be ordering my fourth very shortly as soon as my pending points clear!!!)

Ciao (good, can get some high paying surveys, also get a lot of crappy invitations to complete a 30 minute survey for a 10p reward which I usually just ignore! You do screen out of a lot but then you do get sent a lot of survey invites with ciao, you can request the money to be sent straight through to your bank account once you reach £5 although they do take about a month and a half to process payment. I personally find Ciao good though and the money can rack up quite quickly especially if you complete a number of their higher paying surveys, I work from home for myself so I complete those company director type ones which usually tend to pay a bit more. I've been paid £16 from Ciao already and I've only been with them a couple of months...)

Ipoints (great, the surveys come regularly and are usually worth a fair amount of points averaging at about 400 ipoints per survey (also see below for more info on ipoints in cashback sites)

Pinecone (good, the surveys don't come very often though but when theydo you get £4 in vouchers per survey)

You Gov (hmmm the surveys do come quite regularly but with a minimum cash out amount of £50 and the average survey from them rewarding you between 50p and a quid it's gonna be quite a while before you reach cashout!!!)

I also do IPSOS, harris poll, global test market and just the answer which are all fair. Harris Poll has a minimum cashout limit of £25 but they seem to send survey invites fairly often so you can get to this fairly easily I would imagine, I am already almost halfway there with £10.90 and I've only been with them about 3 months.

The others I believe have a minimum cash out amount of £5 in the form of either vouchers in the case of Just the answer or cash as is the case with the rest of 'em.

I also do Fly Club and Juicy Brains which are both a bit poor in my opinion. Fly Club never seem to send me any surveys and Juicy sends rarely but I always seem to screen out of their surveys so they must not like 29 yr old males very much!!"
    ---

Also remember that you can go through cashback sites, such as Quidco, to get to the surveys, or before buying other online stuff, to get extra money back, direct into your bank account. Quidco also give you cashback for buying songs from itunes, etc. It's worth doing - I've had £300 back from Quidco already, from things I would have bought anyway.

Other ideas: I read about using your car for advertising campaigns - i.e. allowing it to be emblazened with whatever company's logo/promotion. For which you could get about £200 a month if you do a lot of mileage. (No, ok, I wouldn't do it either!)

You might like this one, though, Fletch: Free sterling silver jewelry. Free offers from SilverJewelryClub.com
    Free jewellery, and you pay only p&p of £4 or £5. I think I might have spotted this through 50 ways to save money.... | This is Money, but I'm nto entirely sure as that site is down at the moment.

Freebies ... Load of sites, e.g.:
    Free stuff - top freebies | Living for Free | Moneymagpie.com - for a richer life.

Rachel

It’s back to Cod wars now

Those who don’t remember, I'll explain. As young child I had to carry a piece of cod to school and was told by my teacher to hit any Icelander I saw

Give there wasn’t many, it was hit anyone with a pale complexion (this led to the Scottish riots a Wembley Stadium) in 1973

I think many won’t remember 3 days weeks and constant power cuts where we use to light candles for heat and light and get beaten within an inch of our life if we lit candles when we shouldn’t

Kids today with computer games, TV, Stereos etc in their rooms , £50 pocket money a week are in for a short sharp shock me fears as we go into Global melt down Its back to 12 old pennies a week I fear

I've decided to spend the next 24 months sleeping through the worst, good bye all

Well, fortunately my mate haven't lost his money after all, as Rachel pointed out the UK guarantees the money British savers have deposited in Icelandic banks. Phew!

I'm on the other hand really annoyed. I want to open up a savings account with a Norwegian bank which has 7% interest rate (I already have 1 Norwegian bank account), but can't do so unles I've got a permanent address in Norway. Poo!

Well, fortunately my mate haven't lost his money after all, as Rachel pointed out the UK guarantees the money British savers have deposited in Icelandic banks. Phew!

I'm on the other hand really annoyed. I want to open up a savings account with a Norwegian bank which has 7% interest rate (I already have 1 Norwegian bank account), but can't do so unles I've got a permanent address in Norway. Poo!
    Why would anyone want to invest in any bank outside the UK ?

I’m sure some Nigerian banks via the internet are now offering 8% interest maybe put your money there ??

Quote Originally Posted by stewart38 View Post
    Why would anyone want to invest in any bank outside the UK ?

I’m sure some Nigerian banks via the internet are now offering 8% interest maybe put your money there ??
    Because they pay more interest than any bank in the UK, perhaps?

I'm also a Norwegian, and indeed still a Norwegian taxpayer to boot (I'm so lucky, I pay tax in TWO countries!), so why wouldn't I want to have a savings account in Norway?

Why did 300 000 British citizens want to place their money in Icelandic banks? Because they paid more interest than Uk banks. It's not rocket science.

Just found a thing in the Metro that gives you 20% off lovely undies at Figleaves. When you get to the checkout just put Metro3 as your promo code - it's valid until 31st of October. Spend those savings while they're still there!

Because they pay more interest than any bank in the UK, perhaps?

I'm also a Norwegian, and indeed still a Norwegian taxpayer to boot (I'm so lucky, I pay tax in TWO countries!), so why wouldn't I want to have a savings account in Norway?
    Because you rely too much on fortune tellers

BBC NEWS | World | Europe | Norway MP called fortune-tellers

Quote Originally Posted by cbird View Post
    Just found a thing in the Metro that gives you 20% off lovely undies at Figleaves. When you get to the checkout just put Metro3 as your promo code - it's valid until 31st of October. Spend those savings while they're still there!
    Welcome to the forum . Following Swp arrival recently and the way she was treated im just going to say

Thankyou for your contribution

Thread Information