Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The perfect match

Re: The perfect match

Thanks for your reply John

Quote Originally Posted by JohnSweeney View Post
    When I am in a new venue where I don't know any ladies, I very rarely ask two ladies with whom I haven't danced before to do Double Trouble with me.

...when I am at a new venue, I am looking for ladies that follow beautifully – lightly and reactively. I also make sure that they can do drops and lambadas well.

I still see my local venue as a "new venue" in this sense, as I have not gone through/taught any triples/double trouble moves with any of the locals.

I do sometimes ask 2 ladies to dance though, normally those in your criteria above, although I am not so concerned with drops or Lambadas.

I guess this is my catagory of lead and follow about 20 moves, even if they have not done triples/double trouble before.

So, there is a whole range of lead and follow:
    - completely intuitive
    - learnt reflexes for basic moves and sequences
    - standard moves like drops which the ladies must have learnt
    - complex moves which the ladies must have learnt, and which could be considered to be choreographed, but are lead by the man
    - prompted moves, often quite complex, where a couple of words from the man can be enough for the ladies to achieve the move
    - choreographed moves where at least one lady is acting independently, even though she may still be in contact with the man
    - three person cabaret where the three people are acting independently
    It is not a straightforward area, but I would say the border between choreographed and non-choreographed is somewhere near the bottom of the list – probably just the last two bullets.
    I would normally put it somewhere at the top of the list, probably just the first 2 , maybe including point 3, if I know they are very good at drops, if I lead very well, I can do a double drop.

So, even if you have practiced a move with two ladies, as long as the man decides when it will happen, what speed it will happen at, sets it up and then leads the ladies into and through the move, then I would say that it is not necessarily choreographed.
    It is a lot more fun once you have practiced some specific moves, which would be sensible for comps and also fun for social dance...I still do not consider I go past point 4, I never do a verbal lead, but I do teach them the move, and then, when I decide to lead the move, the followers know what to do.

- choreographed moves where at least one lady is acting independently, even though she may still be in contact with the man
    - three person cabaret where the three people are acting independently

Does this not get covered in point 4, if the man initiates/leads the move, even if that move is 3 seconds long or 12 seconds long?

- complex moves which the ladies must have learnt, and which could be considered to be choreographed, but are lead by the man

Maybe some examples would help?

Hi Martin,

I am not trying to draw clear lines, because I don't think there are any.

There is a certain amount of subjectivity here, especially in the Modern Jive world, which, thankfully, has no regulating body to tell us what moves we can or can't do.

I think what I am trying to say is that lead and follow should be the same in DT as in one-to-one.

First we would need to clarify what was lead-and-follow vs choreography with just one man, one lady.

If we could come up with clarity on that, then I would extend it to say that in DT it should be the same, but leading two ladies obviously.

Grab me for a pint if you see me at a dance some time and I will be happy to discuss it further

Happy dancing,
    John

Perfect match for dance abillity and style ..........

Ryan Francois & Jenny Thomas
    and
    Simon & Nicole

--ooOoo--
    Age is a question of mind over matter, if you don't mind, it doesn't matter
    Leroy (Satchel) Paige (1906-1982)

Mickey Mouse's girlfriend, Minnie, made her film debut, along with Mickey, in "Steamboat Willie" on November 18, 1928.
    That date is recognized as her official birthday.

Haven't seen them dance for a while but I always thought Adam and Tas were individually brilliant and seemed to be perfectly in tune on the dance floor.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkW View Post
    Haven't seen them dance for a while but I always thought Adam and Tas were individually brilliant and seemed to be perfectly in tune on the dance floor.
    defo

--ooOoo--

Mickey Mouse's girlfriend, Minnie, made her film debut, along with Mickey, in "Steamboat Willie" on November 18, 1928.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkW View Post

I have not seen them for 4 years (due to geographical constraints), have to agree though... a very good match MarkW

Now how can I explain dancing with Tas... well, I found it rather like holding a feather in your hand.. such a lovely light follow and yet always there.

Absolutely in my top 5 dream girls to dance with.

Hi Martin,

I am not trying to draw clear lines, because I don't think there are any.

There is a certain amount of subjectivity here, especially in the Modern Jive world, which, thankfully, has no regulating body to tell us what moves we can or can't do.

I think what I am trying to say is that lead and follow should be the same in DT as in one-to-one.

First we would need to clarify what was lead-and-follow vs choreography with just one man, one lady.

If we could come up with clarity on that, then I would extend it to say that in DT it should be the same, but leading two ladies obviously.

Grab me for a pint if you see me at a dance some time and I will be happy to discuss it further

Happy dancing,
    John
    A huge topic, that is very subjective and as you say, it would need to start at basic one to one dancing.

Thanks for your thoughts on the subject and I will be sure to remember to catch you for a pint when we next meet.

Martin

In addition to those already mentioned, I used to enjoy watching Viktor and Lydia.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    ...Now how can I explain dancing with Tas... well, I found it rather like holding a feather in your hand.. such a lovely light follow and yet always there.........
    Funny enough Adam's lead is very light (never experienced a lighter lead) - fine in MJ but find it hard to follow in Lindy, although my experienced Lindy buddies (eg Kate) love it.

I also nominate David & Lily Barker David has a light but amazing lead and one of my fave dancers - whereas Lily seems to be most of the leads' faves, together they are amaazeeeeeeeeeeng - just watch one of their showcases and you will agree

--ooOoo--

Yuko and Phil Webb

Wasn't sure of his Phil's name till now, but just seen a photo of them on facebook.

I remember being transported at The Champs 2007 when they danced to "Hello Dolly"

No smiley for "awesome"

Thread Information