View Poll Results: Which Northern English Cities should be abandoned by the UK government?

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • Liverpool

5 41.67%
  • Bradford

4 33.33%
  • Sunderland

3 25.00%
  • Middlesbrough

3 25.00%
  • London

8 66.67%
  • David Bailey hasn't set up the right options - clicky clicky

3 25.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Which Northern Cities Should be Left to Rot?

Re: Which Northern Cities Should be Left to Rot?

I have to say that I spent three years studying in Sunderland and loved the place. mind you that was 25 years ago and it has probably changed a lot.

I was talking about this subject the other day.

On my drive back down to Surrey, after having collected my furniture from my original house near Wigan, I started to think about the North/South divide. I came to the conclusion that it wasn't such a North vs South divide but more of a Everywhere else vs South East divide.

The South-East feels to me like a huge expansion of London. I suppose that is reasonable as, like me, many people just live in satellite towns and commute in. This makes the South-East feel like a collection of London 'suburbs' servicing the main city. Each fine as it goes but without an identity.
    A logical progression of an expanding capital city I guess.

Having lived down in Woking for a number of years, as well as other locations in Surrey and Berkshire, I definately feel that there is a different atmosphere to a lot of the towns I have visited. It is as if the areas are used purely by commuters. I don't know how but this generates a different 'feel' to places in the South East. Not necessarily good or bad - just different.

People have, perhaps mistakenly, in the past used the famous line that "it's friendlier up North". I don't agree with such a generalisation but I agree there is definately more of a sense of community.
    Of course this all comes from the industrial heritage where people lived and worked in or around their respective towns, knew all the other people in the village, left the doors unlocked...and so on. Now things are moving on this is changing up North but obviously not at the rate seen in London. Areas such as Manchester have attracted some big business out of London. Whether thats a good or bad thing, I dont know.

I thought long and hard about where I prefer to live, having lived in a total of 6 geographical dispersed cities/towns in England, and have come to the conclusion that, IF there was the industry for me up North and other practicalities in place, I would definately relocate.

The trouble is, there just isn't the business for me.

For me, the regeneration of cities and towns up north is a great thing. There is a lot of pride and passion held by many a resident of these towns. Having moved a lot in the last decade it has made me realise that it is this pride and passion that makes these places far wealthier than areas in the South East.

Well Aberdeen has got a lot less rotten in the last 6 months.. and funnily enough London has rotted by exactly the same amount in the last 6 months too.

Wait a sec..

*sniffs armpits* Bleurgh

Aha! that solves that one then

Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf View Post
    Well Aberdeen has got a lot less rotten in the last 6 months.. and funnily enough London has rotted by exactly the same amount in the last 6 months too.
    I cycled for the first time from the city to East Croydon to get the train back to my new house in Horley.
    My god! Talk about rotten. The South of London is definately somewhere that needs a little TLC from the looks of it.

Positively scary!

Quote Originally Posted by Paul F View Post
    Having lived down in Woking for a number of years, as well as other locations in Surrey and Berkshire, I definately feel that there is a different atmosphere to a lot of the towns I have visited. It is as if the areas are used purely by commuters. I don't know how but this generates a different 'feel' to places in the South East. Not necessarily good or bad - just different.
    I grew up in a Surrey village, in fact the same one my mum grew up in (my grandparents used to run the village shop). My parents still live there.

However, it's nothing like it used to be. I can't afford to live there & my brother can't afford to live there. It is definitely a commuter village. (No wonder really - I wouldn't want to live in London if I could live in a "pretty Surrey village", own a barbour, a labrador and a 4x4 ) There is an effect on community when the majority aren't always there/work long hours

And even though I still live in the home counties , the village I'm in now is like the Surrey village I grew up in (with a true sense of community) - I wonder when it will change here as the urban sprawl continues...

Quote Originally Posted by HelenB View Post
    And even though I still live in the home counties , the village I'm in now is like the Surrey village I grew up in (with a true sense of community) - I wonder when it will change here as the urban sprawl continues...
    It's very sad

The trouble is it is only the commuters who can afford to live in a lot of these nice little villages and towns.

The idea of intra-immigration is only going to make matters worse IMO.

Can't see that there is much choice though. Future generations may have to just sit back and watch the London catchment envelop this little island

On a more positive note though.....its Friday!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart M View Post
    It does have classic sci-fi connections. Ridley Scott was born in North Shields. The opening cityscape shots of Blade Runner were inspired by his childhood memories of the industrial Teeside skyline at night.
    Yes, sorry i meant Blade Runner. Knew it had something to do with running.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul F View Post
    I cycled for the first time from the city to East Croydon to get the train back to my new house in Horley.
    My god! Talk about rotten. The South of London is definately somewhere that needs a little TLC from the looks of it.

Positively scary!
    I wouldn't live south of the river if you paid me.

Lived in Clapham for 4 years.

Thread Information