Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Olympics - does China have no sense of shame

Cool Re: The Olympics - does China have no sense of shame

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Shnikov View Post
    You people watched the opening ceremony?!!

What, were you shackled in front of the TV, or something? Couldn't shut your eyes because the lids were held open with wires?

I'm off dancing and I still found something more interesting to do. (Racks brain...) Well, I can't remember what it was but it can't have been less interesting...
    I didn't watch the opening ceremony. Don't get me wrong, a bit of Olympics can be a cool way to spend a little TV time - but watching a four hour sport's day opening extravaganza... what the fux is that about? Loads of peeps I don't know waving flags of countries I have never heard of. Ohhh and the fireworks! It's BANG then SPARKLEY bits. Letting them off is fun, but I kind of got bored of watching them outside when I hit about nine years old.... but to actually make a point of sitting down and watching fireworks on TV.. that is some really crazy mixed up $h!t. It's a little bit like listening to the Miss World contest on the radio. Point. Missed.

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Re: The Olympics - does China have no sense of shame

Cool Re: The Olympics - does China have no sense of shame

Cracking article, I especially loved "Actually, they were right. The original girl was an absolute pig, with teeth so higgledy-piggledy you could be mistaken for thinking her skull was trying to chew its way out of her face."

Blog Entries

Now, it seems that some of their gymnasts might be fibbing about their ages. The rules have been changed this year, so that gymnasts have to be 16 or over during the year of the competition. However, according to some eagle-eyed fans He Kexin (who won the gold medal for the uneven bars) and Yang Yilin (the bronze) , appeared to be 2 or 3 years younger only last year. According to the Guardian:
    The documents relating to He include a page from the Chengdu Sports Bureau website from 2006, which gave her year of birth as 1994, a report in last November's Cities Games at Wuhan which gave her age then as 13, and a story in the China Daily newspaper in May this year, which gave her age as 14.
    Yang's age was given in online files from the General Administration of Sport in China. Records from 2004, 2005 and 2006 give her date of birth as August 26th 1993. That would make Yang only 15 this year, and 14 when she competed in last year's world championships.
    Funnily enough, their (Government issued ) passports show that they are eligible to compete!
    International Gymnastics Federation secretary-general Andre Gueisbuhler said: "We heard these rumours and we immediately wrote to the Chinese gymnastics federation. They immediately sent a copy of the passport, showing the age, and everything is OK. That's all we can check"

Quote Originally Posted by Lou View Post
    Now, it seems that some of their gymnasts might be fibbing about their ages. The rules have been changed this year, so that gymnasts have to be 16 or over during the year of the competition. However, according to some eagle-eyed fans He Kexin (who won the gold medal for the uneven bars) and Yang Yilin (the bronze) , appeared to be 2 or 3 years younger only last year. According to the Guardian:

Funnily enough, their (Government issued ) passports show that they are eligible to compete!
    As a point of interest, in China, ages are calculated differently. You are '1' when you are born - so you are always a year older than your Western counterpart. (Although this is usually applied by men more than women).

Not that it makes any difference in this situation.

Thread Information