Thread: Swimathon v Marathon

Blog Entries

Swimathon v Marathon

right, sports science types....

Swimathon - 5km - will take the average Joe or Josephine ~1.5 - 2.5 hrs to complete. I did it in 1995, when I was fit and skinny and about er, 12, haha in 2hrs and change. I was delighted but this was a "fair" rather than startling result. There were people in my pool who finished in under 1.5 and some still plodding at 3.

What I want to know is how does this distance as a swim compare with a run for general fitness and endurance? I know that being able to swim 5 k doesn't mean you will be able to run / jog 5k or vice versa, it's not that kind of samesame for muscles and breathing etc.
    By compare I think I mean very generally fitness and energy wise.
    My gut feel is that a 5km swim probably uses the same amount of energy as a 10km run would, on the same level (say six months three time a week??) of training from a standing start say.

Anyone with sport science knowledge care to comment?
    James - are you there???

Re: Swimathon v Marathon

Quote Originally Posted by Chicklet View Post
    right, sports science types....

Swimathon - 5km - will take the average Joe or Josephine ~1.5 - 2.5 hrs to complete. I did it in 1995, when I was fit and skinny and about er, 12, haha in 2hrs and change. I was delighted but this was a "fair" rather than startling result. There were people in my pool who finished in under 1.5 and some still plodding at 3.

By compare I think I mean very generally fitness and energy wise.
    My gut feel is that a 5km swim probably uses the same amount of energy as a 10km run would, on the same level (say six months three time a week??) of training from a standing start say.
    The time involved in a swimathon sounds similar to a half marathon, rather than a 10km run.

Thread Information