View Poll Results: Open or closed toed shoes?

Voters
36. You may not vote on this poll
  • I am a girl and I wear open toed shoes

4 11.11%
  • I am a girl and I wear closed toed shoes

16 44.44%
  • I am a girl and it depends on the venue/event

11 30.56%
  • I am a guy and was feeling left out, so I wanted to tick a box

5 13.89%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ladies toes

Blog Entries

Re: Ladies toes

Quote Originally Posted by Sparkles View Post
    I would like to get some of the WCS sandals that I have seen around, maybe I will brave it one day...

ahh excellent example. I purchased my new WCS sandals closed in due to my unfortunate experience of poor tootsies being slam dunked. So pretty they are too. xx

I wear closed toe shoes... mainly because I don't like my toes.

Never thought about the whole being stood on option and sandals / open toed shoes... I am clumsy enough by myself tho so probably best that I stick to closed toe shoes......

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post

Fletch told me it is all about outfit... :
    wooden spoon for Martin

Quote Originally Posted by Caro View Post

or it could just be that I'm a westie, :
    Martin ......there you go then

I am sure I could take you out of those trousers... PM me for more details :

go on then what would you have her in stockings and supenders I suppose

same old same guy's

I would like to get some of the WCS sandals that I have seen around, maybe I will brave it one day...

I have some silver sparkly ones......i'v steped up to be a westie

I always try and keep my toes protected with closed-toe shoes, mainly because I find that many of the women who were high heels don't know how to handle them properly . I've been trodden on *a lot* over the years (and no, it wasn't all my fault).

People wear what they like for fashion, fair enough,
    Also short women favour them to give them some height
    but stiletto heels are dangerous on the dancefloor and I would encourage women who wear them to buy some heel protectors, they are clear plastic and do not detract from the look of your shoes but they do make your them an awful lot safer for the people you might accidentally stand on (aswell as preventing scuffs on wooden floors ).

Quote Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
    ahh excellent example. I purchased my new WCS sandals closed in due to my unfortunate experience of poor tootsies being slam dunked. So pretty they are too. xx
    What do these WCS sandles look like?

Quote Originally Posted by fletch View Post
    go on then what would you have her in stockings and supenders I suppose

same old same guy's

Quote Originally Posted by Astro View Post
    What do these WCS sandles look like?
    I was wondering the same.

Are they anything like this? GlamourDance Shoes -- Womens Shoes

Or are they magic shoes that help you dance in a slot?

Is there a web site for WCS exclusive sandles?

After having my toenail ripped off by some heavy-footed heffer on Saturday night, I think my closed-toe shoes will be making a come-back for a while.
    Not many shoe styles look pleasant with a closed-toe. In order for closed-toe shoes to look pleasant, the shoe manufacturers taper the toe inwards. After wearing ballet shoes for many years and having dreadful feet as a result, I usually err towards open toed shoes that allow my toes to be able to be balanced, rather than squashed in to a point. Having said that, even open-toed shoes have a tapered base as well, so I've looked around to find the ones with square bases for the toes.
    My favourite shoes at the moment are my WCS shoes Bloch - Annabella that have the lower heal and open-toe with a good base for the toes to balance on. My favourite closed-toe shoes that have a good base for the toes are a bloch shoe Bloch - Splitflex (SFX) and it has a flexible arch so that it allows your feet to point and get a nice line.
    Overall, if the floor is too fast, I use my WCS shoes - and if the floor is fine I use my Splitflex shoes. When it comes to performing, I work with whatever is required by the choreographer - so if pretty silver shoes are required then I resort to practising and performing in the latin styled shoes.

Are they anything like this? GlamourDance Shoes -- Womens Shoes
    No. This is what we're talking about (see attachment).

Or are they magic shoes that help you dance in a slot?
    There is an automated alarm on them, if you make over 10 steps without triple-stepping, it goes off. Helps you keep the swing content in
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks for everyone who has replied to the poll, and contributed on the thread.

The results supprised me, as to just how many do wear closed toe shoes, or wear closed toe shoes sometimes.

I spotted one more local with a closed toe shoe - so that now makes 2. Everyone else has open toe shoes. Which is far different to the poll results from the formites.

Sorry to hear of your toenail challenge Saligal, but at least you are now thinking closed toes for a while, as it heals.
    There must be something in the water here, as they wear open toe shoes, get an injury, then come back the following week with open toe shoes

No. This is what we're talking about (see attachment).
    I have a pair of these as well and really like them, not just for WCS. Very flexible sole as well and not too expensive.

The only proper toe injury I had was in AT (open toed AT shoes), a particular move that a lead was trying and kept almost getting my foot. He persisted in practicing until he finally crushed my toe and drew blood.

Been kicked, caught on the ankle or other parts of my foot as much as having toes stood on and I'm not about to start dancing in boots so don't worry too much about open toed shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
    you gotta love the socks look.
    My socks are really attractive and occasionally they match

I was wearing blochs when a stilleto heal went inside my bloch between the left side of the bloch and my foot (near my instep). Amazing - it must have been a very thin heal. It didn't cause any pain or injury...SNIP...I seem to get more injuries from adjacent dancers (especially women) than my partner though.
    I wear closed toe lace-up cubans (with trousers) and I've had a stiletto heel (presumably from adjacent women dancers) down the side of my foot inside my shoe about three or four times - initially very painful but usually ok after about 3 tracks. I think I might have been otherwise trodden on a couple of times by partners, but not memorably so.

I don't see how you can get the same support and precision of steps from an open side/open toe sandal - doesn't your foot slop about, comparatively speaking? Also, some of the ladies I see wearing stilettos don't seem to have huge amounts of control over where they are putting their feet e.g. their turns are often messy (as mine would be in stilettos), so I've always tended to assume that they wear stilettos because they look good rather than because they improve their dancing.

I would tick a box that said "I wear closed toe shoes because my dancing would be even more rubbish if I wore open-toed stilettos"

*snip*There must be something in the water here, as they wear open toe shoes, get an injury, then come back the following week with open toe shoes *snip*
    It's not always convenient for every female dancer to afford or justify having more than 1 pair of dance shoes - especially when it is important for them to be comfortable (and that includes comfortable with what she wears them with as well ). This may be part of the reason the women you speak of don't suddenly put on closed-toe shoes after having their toes minced.

There is an automated alarm on them, if you make over 10 steps without triple-stepping, it goes off. Helps you keep the swing content in
    Not only that, but with the option of different ringtones and a bluetooth connection to the sound system you can make sure everyone is watching you for your favourite syncopation when it does!

I think we could go into business with this one Oh Merciful and Wise One

Quote Originally Posted by Moondancer View Post
    Also, some of the ladies I see wearing stilettos don't seem to have huge amounts of control over where they are putting their feet e.g. their turns are often messy (as mine would be in stilettos), so I've always tended to assume that they wear stilettos because they look good rather than because they improve their dancing.
    Unless they are tango shoes (some of which can have very narrow and very high heels), the ladies you see wearing stillettos are probably not wearing dance shoes. My 'high' dance sandals are 2 1/2" flared heel - definitely not a stilletto.

So those ladies are probably wearing fashion sandals and aside from the heel height will most likely also be having problems of their feet sliding about in the shoe, the balance of the shoe being wrong and the sole being too grippy to spin properly.

Quote Originally Posted by NZ Monkey View Post
    Not only that, but with the option of different ringtones and a bluetooth connection to the sound system you can make sure everyone is watching you for your favourite syncopation when it does!

I think we could go into business with this one Oh Merciful and Wise One
    Can you produce a male version too please? Geeky shoes... that would be one way to get Beo back to dancing

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
    Unless they are tango shoes (some of which can have very narrow and very high heels), the ladies you see wearing stillettos are probably not wearing dance shoes. My 'high' dance sandals are 2 1/2" flared heel - definitely not a stilletto.

So those ladies are probably wearing fashion sandals and aside from the heel height will most likely also be having problems of their feet sliding about in the shoe, the balance of the shoe being wrong and the sole being too grippy to spin properly.
    Reminds me of the woman I saw at Hammersmith "dancing" (or rather stomping) in 3" mules last time I was there

What do authentic high heeled tango dance shoes look like?
    Have they a T bar or are they laced?

Quote Originally Posted by Twirly View Post
    Reminds me of the woman I saw at Hammersmith "dancing" (or rather stomping) in 3" mules last time I was there
    Wonder if it was the same woman I saw at the Troxy?
    She was a yanker - suppose it would be incredibly difficult for her to keep her balance, that's why.

No particular style (though not seen a laced pair), can be t-bar, or not, open toe or closed toe. The main thing they have in common is high heels. (This helps when stepping back, you can put your heel to the ground without bringing your weight back as far as you would in flat/low heeled shoes.)

Like this. Designs vary wildly, but they always always have at least a strap and are firmly attached to your feet. Very often a T-bar - I prefer a T-bar. They're balanced differently from street shoes and are much easier to dance in than they are to walk in. I wouldn't walk down a street in my tango shoes.

I know a couple of tango dancers who prefer open toes because they have wide feet and because they feel they get better balance and control with the freedom for their toes. I personally prefer some more protection.

Most of my tango shoes are peep-toe, nearly closed but not quite. They give me enough protection, and look nice. There aren't many completely closed styles available. I have one classic closed pair with a t-bar that I wear for classes. I have one open-ish pair of sandals, but they're salsa shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by mshedgehog View Post
    Oh, some nice shoes there.

My tango shoes (Artesenal) are open toes mainly because they were the pair that fitted me best and were most comfortable - I have quite narrow feet, and that pair/style just seemed to fit well. I probably would prefer more closed toe for tango but I went with what was comfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by mshedgehog View Post
    They're balanced differently from street shoes and are much easier to dance in than they are to walk in. I wouldn't walk down a street in my tango shoes.

I know a couple of tango dancers who prefer open toes because they have wide feet and because they feel they get better balance and control with the freedom for their toes. I personally prefer some more protection.
    The main thing they have in common is high heels. (This helps when stepping back, you can put your heel to the ground without bringing your weight back as far as you would in flat/low heeled shoes.)
    I've seen girls in London wearing these type of shoe.

They look like ordinary shoes.

Do they work well for MJ?

Thread Information