View Poll Results: What's your ethnicity?

Voters
62. You may not vote on this poll
  • White - British

31 50.00%
  • White - Irish

1 1.61%
  • White - other

12 19.35%
  • Mixed - White and Black Caribbean

0 0%
  • Mixed - White and Black African

0 0%
  • Mixed - White and Asian

1 1.61%
  • Mixed - other

4 6.45%
  • Asian or Asian British - Indian

2 3.23%
  • Asian or Asian British - Pakistani

0 0%
  • Asian or Asian British - Bangladeshi

1 1.61%
  • Asian or Asian British - other

0 0%
  • Black or Black British - Caribbean

0 0%
  • Black or Black British - African

0 0%
  • Black or Black British - other

1 1.61%
  • Chinese or other ethnic group - Chinese

0 0%
  • Chinese or other ethnic group - other

1 1.61%
  • White - Scottish

8 12.90%
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Ethnicity of ceroc goers

Re: Ethnicity of ceroc goers

Just wondering if CJ was alluding to when it used to be the case, usually in sporting events, that if someone Scottish won at the event they were referred to as British but when they lost they were Scottish. Doesn't seem to happen quite so much these days.

Back on topic

DJ if you don't really care what the labels are why go to all the hastle? It suggests that you've already got ideas of re-categorising the original data you want to collect into other groups.

As for other dance forms could you just post the same poll here and ask those who also do AT or salsa to vote in them or are you more interested in people who just stick to one dance rather than several?

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pmjd View Post
    DJ if you don't really care what the labels are why go to all the hastle?
    I'm wondering that myself now

Quote Originally Posted by pmjd View Post
    As for other dance forms could you just post the same poll here and ask those who also do AT or salsa to vote in them or are you more interested in people who just stick to one dance rather than several?
    Hmmm, I dunno if there's enough AT / salsa dancers here - and anyway they wouldn't generally be "pure", very few non-MJers hang out here.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by David Bailey View Post
    - and anyway they wouldn't generally be "pure",
    Ooooh.... is there going to be a purity quiz next?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lou View Post
    Knock yourself out, Welshie

CJ beat him to it.
    Just in case you thought I was talking about ethnicity...

Callipygous - Dictionary.com

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by robd View Post
    Er, Rangers followers in Manchester in May.....

I am sure I am not the only one pleased to see them out of Europe at such an early stage this season.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe View Post
    but they were always reported as Scottish, I never heard of them reported as British anywhere!
    Ironic really... they DO consider themselves British.. they use the Union Jack, not the saltire, etc, etc, etc...

did the huns originate in Scotland??

No, RobD... I was delighted to see them knocked out, too.

Blog Entries

There's nearly 50 votes now - thanks for voting, everyone.

From this admittedly small sample, it looks like it's pretty close to the demographics of the (English / Welsh) population as a whole.

Based on this, it seems to be consistent with my very tentative proposition that Modern Jive is not particularly attractive to any minority ethnic group (unlike, from observations, salsa and MJ) in this country.

Anyone want to comment on that?

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Anyone want to comment on that?
    Not really Apart from the fact that everyone who polled was lying based on the statistical fact that 99% of people in the UK have lied at some point in their lives.

I've yet to have a good explanation on why "white" is a valid ethnicity - bit vague although the dictionary does have "character, background, or affiliation" as a definition which gives people scope to select ANYTHING. As MG said - "The Jerk", and AliG, springs to mind

Blog Entries

Not really Apart from the fact that everyone who polled was lying based on the statistical fact that 99% of people in the UK have lied at some point in their lives.
    Ah, but that means they were lying on the census too, so that's still consistent.

I've yet to have a good explanation on why "white" is a valid ethnicity - bit vague
    I wonder if people called themselves "white" before they encountered people of different colours?

Looking at the history of the term, it seems not, looks like it developed along with slavery.

I like this quote:
    It has been suggested that the colors beige or peach are a more accurate representation of the color of most Caucasians.

Commercial Operator

Where's the option for Heterosexual, Able bodied, white male. Probably the most discriminated against group of all.

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dance Demon View Post
    Where's the option for Heterosexual, Able bodied, white male. Probably the most discriminated against group of all.

How many of us are actually able-bodied ?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dave the scaffolder View Post
    Can trace my family back to the Boer war where the Zulu;s kicked the sh1t out of us.

DB, please can you check your 1900 poll archive and confirm for the audience how many ZuluBoer dancers there were at the weekender at Spion Kop? And be sharp about it, I can boerly sleep at my desk for the suspense.

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

I wonder if people called themselves "white" before they encountered people of different colours?
    I would imagine you would label people in clearer terms of "us and them" (e.g. "English" vs "Arab") but when lots of societies and cultures mix then the label defaults to the ones that are always accurate - visual ones being the most likely

Looking at the history of the term, it seems not, looks like it developed along with slavery.
    This quote from Wikipedia - "the concept of a distinct 'white race' was not present in the ancient world" made me think. I have to admit I have no concept of a "white race" at all and I couldn't even pretend to have one - those that historically do, like the KKK, Neo-Nazis and the like, I always assumed were really pretending i.e. they know that simple skin colour does not make a "race", but have political reasons for claiming it does. Are there really people that believe skin colour is not just a superficial pigmentation issue ? Is it just me that finds it odd ?

Just wondering about teh pint of this thread. My failing memory seems to recall someething similar in teh early days fo the Forum ... I think the thread was on the basis that Ceroc was (is ?) very much a white, middle class pastime. At that time the only Black ('of colour' ? ) dancers I knew were nearly all instructors ... Viktor, Roy, H, Des, Cliff, Joseph ...... has much really changed?

Quote Originally Posted by Lou View Post
    Oooooh, I'd do well in that. My name means 'pure'!

As for ethnicity, I believe I am 1/2 Norwegian, 1/4 Danish and 1/4 Gypsy.

Cool Re: Ethnicity of ceroc goers

Don't let 'em get you down DJ, if you were born in Scotland, England, (Cornwall), Wales or Northern Ireland you are British. On account of the fact that you were born in the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. A union made up of the afore mentioned regions in 1922. The Scots are represented on the Union flag (as well they know). In fact they were part of the previous union dating back to the Union of Crowns in 1603.

Surely that's enough time even for a Scot to get their bearings.

Being British is not the same as being English. If you are Caucasian and you were born in Scotland then you are White British. Of course you can argue the toss if you like, but them's the facts. I could claim to Martian - that doesn't make me one. It would just mean I was a little misguided (and some may say stupid) for ignoring the text on my own passport.

It seems quite fashionable for Scots to turn all Braveheart at the merest wiff of being associated with the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. But the Scots have happily enjoyed the benefits of being part of the Union for hundreds of years. I wonder, if given the choice to completely financially support themselves, if they'd take it. If they were foolish enough to take the option, and given the disproportionate amount of money they take from the exchequer I wonder how long their economy could sustain itself at their current rate of spend.

If you were born in Scotland, England, (Cornwall), Wales or Northern Ireland, then, like it or not, you are a British subject.

Ooh, maybe there should be a ".eng" / ".wal" URL
    There should soon be a .cym domain for Wales (from Cymru, our own name for our country).

Quote Originally Posted by StokeBloke View Post
    Don't let 'em get you down DJ, if you were born in Scotland, England, (Cornwall), Wales or Northern Ireland you are British.
    <pedant mode> Actually, Northern Irish people aren't British. That term refers to people from mainland Britain. Northern Ireland is part of the United Kingdom, but not part of Great Britain. I suppose you could argue the toss over whether they should properly be described as Irish or Northern Irish, but they are definitely not British. </pedant mode>

It seems quite fashionable for Scots to turn all Braveheart ... I wonder, if given the choice to completely financially support themselves, if they'd take it. If they were foolish enough to take the option, and given the disproportionate amount of money they take from the exchequer I wonder how long their economy could sustain itself at their current rate of spend.
    If they received proper compensation for North Sea oil, for one thing, I'm sure their economy would thrive. Besides, why is it foolish to want to rule themselves rather than (de facto) being ruled by England?

If you were born in Scotland, England, (Cornwall), Wales or Northern Ireland, then, like it or not, you are a British subject.
    True. However, that doesn't have to be the case forever.

My passport says I'm a British subject. However, I don't regard myself as British at all. I am Welsh first and last, not British. My first loyalty is to my own country, not to England or Scotland, though I wish those countries well in their own right.

Quote Originally Posted by Baruch View Post
    My passport says I'm a British subject. However, I don't regard myself as British at all. I am Welsh first and last, not British. My first loyalty is to my own country, not to England or Scotland, though I wish those countries well in their own right.
    That's rather sad, and the cause of much conflict around the world and over the years.

First and foremost, I'm a human being with few tribal ties and a forlorn hope that civilisation can overcome our animal (red in tooth and claw) origins.

Quote Originally Posted by Whitebeard View Post
    That's rather sad, and the cause of much conflict around the world and over the years.
    Why sad? I'm pro-Welsh, not anti anybody. I have nothing against the English, Scottish, Irish, French, Iraqi, Polish or any other people or nation. Why should loyalty to my own nation therefore be sad?

Quote Originally Posted by Baruch View Post
    Why sad? I'm pro-Welsh, not anti anybody. I have nothing against the English, Scottish, Irish, French, Iraqi, Polish or any other people or nation. Why should loyalty to my own nation therefore be sad?
    Just dwell on fairly recent events in the Balkans. It only takes one charismatic leader (previously Hitler, bin Laden), to whip up latent nationalistic/religous fervour in the mob and release the most basic of folklore memory and inhuman instincts.

Yes, religion too can be subverted and used as a pretext for unimaginable horrors.

I reject religion and abhor tribalism.

Thread Information