Thread: backup ipod to computer

Commercial Operator

backup ipod to computer

Yello!

Does anyone know how to backup files from ipod to computer and retain all the database info?

If I do it manually then all the .wav files end up missing their tags on itunes.
    (mp3 files are fine.)

Using floola or sharepod ends up with the same result.

Since many hours have been spent rating and filing all these songs I don't want to start again so any advice appreciated!

Thanks!

Amir

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Re: backup ipod to computer

I've used this with very successful results.

It even copy's your playlists and ratings

iPod backup iPod copy songs playlists copy iPod to PC transfer iPod
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Quote Originally Posted by Amir View Post
    If I do it manually then all the .wav files end up missing their tags on itunes.
    (mp3 files are fine.)
    That's because, unlike .mp3 files, .wav files don't have a way of embedding metadata.

Lory's suggestion, if it's smart enough to do things like playlists, might be smart enough to recover .wav file metadata from the iPod's library.
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by ducasi View Post
    That's because, unlike .mp3 files, .wav files don't have a way of embedding metadata.

Lory's suggestion, if it's smart enough to do things like playlists, might be smart enough to recover .wav file metadata from the iPod's library.
    Sharepod also claims to copy playlists and stuff, but couldn't figure out how to get it to copy the .wav file metadate from the Ipod Library.

isn't there a way to manually copy the ipod library to itunes?

Sharepod also claims to copy playlists and stuff, but couldn't figure out how to get it to copy the .wav file metadate from the Ipod Library.

isn't there a way to manually copy the ipod library to itunes?
    None I know of – the iPod library is going to be in a different format than the iTunes library. It'll need a smart program to convert from one to the other.

CopyTrans sounds like it might be able to do this. Hard to tell from their web site. Maybe an email to the developers might be able to answer this question. copytrans@copytrans.net

Good luck.

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by ducasi View Post
    None I know of – the iPod library is going to be in a different format than the iTunes library. It'll need a smart program to convert from one to the other.

CopyTrans sounds like it might be able to do this. Hard to tell from their web site. Maybe an email to the developers might be able to answer this question. copytrans@copytrans.net

Good luck.
    Well I downloaded trial version of CopyTrans (the only limitation is meant to be that you can only copy 100 files) and it didn't work. It copied the rating and track name, but none of the other info. I've emailed them too, but doesn't look hopeful.

Thanks anyway!

Commercial Operator

Well I downloaded trial version of CopyTrans (the only limitation is meant to be that you can only copy 100 files) and it didn't work. It copied the rating and track name, but none of the other info. I've emailed them too, but doesn't look hopeful.

Thanks anyway!
    Copytrans replied saying that they don't yet support WAV, but I found another 'TuneAid' that seems to work well, it only misses the 'sorting' tags for WAV files, but manages all the other details, which makes it much less work then the others. I'll let you all know if I find any more problems with Tuneaid but so far thats my recommendation.

Copytrans replied saying that they don't yet support WAV, but I found another 'TuneAid' that seems to work well, it only misses the 'sorting' tags for WAV files, but manages all the other details, which makes it much less work then the others. I'll let you all know if I find any more problems with Tuneaid but so far thats my recommendation.
    I've got iPod Copy Expert installed iPod Copy Expert - Copy from iPod to computer, import to iTunes. Don't know if it does .wavs because my iPod only have .mp* files.

Quote Originally Posted by Agente Secreto View Post
    I've got iPod Copy Expert installed iPod Copy Expert - Copy from iPod to computer, import to iTunes. Don't know if it does .wavs because my iPod only have .mp* files.
    Just from the heading of the web page – "copy to computer, import into iTunes" – it sounds like this wouldn't work. The metadata *needs* to be copied from the iPod database directly into the iTunes one. Unlike MP3s, in a WAV file, there is no place for this metadata to "live" outside of these protective environments.

Thread Information