Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 08 08 08 the day the Olympics starts, do you like Olympics, whats your fav sport

Blog Entries

Re: 08 08 08 the day the Olympics starts, do you like Olympics, whats your fav sport

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Shnikov View Post

By contrast I was pretty hacked off with Usain Bolt - what the hell was he doing at the end? Was there some point he was trying to make? Wouldn't he have been better off focusing on finishing the race and knocking another tenth of the world record?
    He's young and no-one's ever done it like that before, he's got a personality, he's having fun and so far, cross fingers there are no hints of drugs in those long legs. Let the boy play with it.

And NO he would not have been better off knocking more off the record. To be better off the place to do that is one one hundredth at a time at the glamour meets in Europe (where I can be in the stand . ) to take $50k a time or whatever the bonus is.

Re: 08 08 08 the day the Olympics starts, do you like Olympics, whats your fav sport

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Shnikov View Post
    By contrast I was pretty hacked off with Usain Bolt - what the hell was he doing at the end? Was there some point he was trying to make? Wouldn't he have been better off focusing on finishing the race and knocking another tenth of the world record?
    As he said in the post-race interviews he was concerned only with winning the race not with the WR - he'll get plenty of chances to improve on that (assuming he doesn't test positive for banned substances like so many sprint champions before him). Besides which, just how dispiriting must it be for the competition to see someone cross the line in that fashion and still be so far ahead of them?

Commercial Operator

GB now has more Olympic champions than any games since 1920 - The Mens Team Pursuit boys just smashed the world record on their way to gold, the 12th Gold so far.

Cycling has been one of my favourite sports since Boardman in 92 so I've been overjoyed at the last few days results (not that I'm any good at doing any more than riding to the shop). GB's track cycle team have now won 5 titles and are favourites to win another 3 - add the likely BMX gold and the road medals won already and the cyclists will probably contribute a total of 16 medals. As Seb Coe said the other day it's not only the rest of the British team that need to learn lessons from how their team is run, it's the rest of the world.

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by clevedonboy View Post
    GB now has more Olympic champions than any games since 1920 - The Mens Team Pursuit boys just smashed the world record on their way to gold, the 12th Gold so far.
    Blimey. We're in 3rd place

In other words, we're doing better now than we aim to do in 2012 as the host nation (goal of 4th place for 2012).

Which, knowing our country, is horrifically plausible

Quote Originally Posted by David Bailey View Post
    Blimey. We're in 3rd place

In other words, we're doing better now than we aim to do in 2012 as the host nation (goal of 4th place for 2012).

Which, knowing our country, is horrifically plausible
    I still think that fourth would be good performance (we havent finished third in this one yet)? I dont understand why that is horrific?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by robd View Post
    Besides which, just how dispiriting must it be for the competition to see someone cross the line in that fashion and still be so far ahead of them?
    Yeah Hot Shot or what?? That's not going to sell places in his workshop to newbies who shouldn't be derided for just wanting to run fast enough (in street shoes) to get to the chip shop before it closes. What he should have done is hold hands with lane 3 and 5 and lead them, without yanking and in time with the clapping(from the oneb of the bang, obviously).

Quote Originally Posted by Jhutch View Post
    I still think that fourth would be good performance (we havent finished third in this one yet)? I dont understand why that is horrific?
    Some people are far happier knocking a country even if they live in it

Re fav sport to watch , womens beach volley ball

The Daily Mail had a whinge today although we won so many Golds they have tended to be in sports where the masses don’t get a chance to compete, its pathetic really

Quote Originally Posted by stewart38 View Post
    Some people are far happier knocking a country even if they live in it

Re fav sport to watch , womens beach volley ball

The Daily Mail had a whinge today although we won so many Golds they have tended to be in sports where the masses don’t get a chance to compete, its pathetic really
    Yes, lets face it, who owns a bicycle or has been to a swimming pool

I think their point was more that state schools dont produce sports winners if it was this article?

Is it any coincidence that most of our Olympic champions were privately educated? | Mail Online

I would start off by thinking how able young sportspeople from rich and poor backgrounds would be to continue their hobby at a point where they had no money coming in. Also, although the article talks about how much money has gone into the state background im not sure this has all gone into sports facilities, indeed the article trots out the sale of sports fields issue. Apparently another problem is that women in the classroom discourage boys who like sport!!! I would have thought that people interested in sport would be even keener to play it under those circumstances!
    Last edited by Jhutch; 19th-August-2008 at 10:30 AM.

I think their point was more that state schools dont produce sports winners if it was this article?

Is it any coincidence that most of our Olympic champions were privately educated? | Mail Online

I would start off by thinking how able young sportspeople from rich and poor backgrounds would be to continue their hobby at a point where they had no money coming in. Also, although the article talks about how much money has gone into the state background im not sure this has all gone into sports facilities, indeed the article trots out the sale of sports fields issue. Apparently another problem is that women in the classroom discourage boys who like sport!!! I would have thought that people interested in sport would be even keener to play it under those circumstances!
    Of course it has a point and its argument is well grounded (it is of course the Daily Mail) but it’s the timing I love

Yes we won all these Golds but lets whinge, its unique British thing

I wonder if Jamaica are celebrating 100m gold and world record or moaning that given their surrounded by water they don’t have better swimmers

ps most secondary schools you can go rowing

Commercial Operator

OMG - Christine Ohuruogu just won the 400m, where did that come from? A guy who people muttered about going to the games wins a Silver in the High Jump - perhaps God really is a brit!

And it must surely be Sir Chris Hoy - the real McHoy

(16 golds now)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by clevedonboy View Post
    OMG - Christine Ohuruogu just won the 400m, where did that come from?
    She was always going to get a medal, and actually I'm not really suprised it's gold. She had to get superfit and super strong and smart in the head during and and after her "wee rest". She might not admit it in public but she feels she has more to prove that others 'cos of her **** up on the testing thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Chicklet View Post
    She was always going to get a medal, and actually I'm not really suprised it's gold. She had to get superfit and super strong and smart in the head during and and after her "wee rest". She might not admit it in public but she feels she has more to prove that others 'cos of her **** up on the testing thing.
    Do you also mean her 'rest' from providing 'wee' (to the drug testers)?

Couple of other observations:

1. If Michael Phelps was British, we would be second in the medals table.

2. Did anyone else hear Adrian Chiles on TV this morning? After a short piece which showed Cathy Freeman being 'immersed' in the Sydney 2000 Olympic flame, he raised the question of how London 2012 would light the flame.

He thought it would be appropriate if "Amy Winehouse tottered up to the flame and threw her knob end into it". (I think he meant 'fag end'(??)).

As the presentation moved to showing the Birds Nest track heats, the mic was still on and Chiles was saying "Having I gone to far with that? Am I going to be sent back home?".

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JiveLad View Post
    Do you also mean her 'rest' from providing 'wee' (to the drug testers)?
    Aye, the word was carefully selected

With a runner winning gold and a high jumper winning silver makes you wonder, of course we stop his funning and let Jamica train him, ideal

An Eclectic Toaster

Well, the Netherlands Antilles achieve their second-greatest sporting moment*. Congratulations to Churandy Martina for finishing second to Usain Bolt in the 200m.

Worth mentioning, because with a population of about 183,000 they're probably the smallest nation to win a medal here (and going by that Wikipedia entry, they might not be a nation for much longer! Heck, they might even end up as another US airbase...).

I wonder, if a medals table was done on a population ratio basis, would they come first? A quick glance through the Beeb's medal table didn't reveal any other medallists with a sub-million population.

*Oh well, OK their greatest sporting achievement. They did actually hold the Unofficial World Cup in football in the 60s.

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart M View Post
    I wonder, if a medals table was done on a population ratio basis, would they come first? A quick glance through the Beeb's medal table didn't reveal any other medallists with a sub-million population.

*Oh well, OK their greatest sporting achievement. They did actually hold the Unofficial World Cup in football in the 60s.
    And another way of doing the medal table is by Head of State (as they did in Medieval times).

Based on that, top of the medals table would be:

Courtesy Daily Torygraph

An Eclectic Toaster

Quote Originally Posted by JiveLad View Post
    And another way of doing the medal table is by Head of State (as they did in Medieval times).

Based on that, top of the medals table would be:

Courtesy Daily Torygraph

So that'll be Germany leading the way then?

They should go back to the Medieval Olympics though. The Joust, Flogging the Peasant, and Royal Inbreeding were fascinating events.

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart M View Post
    Well, the Netherlands Antilles achieve their second-greatest sporting moment*. Congratulations to Churandy Martina for finishing second to Usain Bolt in the 200m.

Worth mentioning, because with a population of about 183,000 they're probably the smallest nation to win a medal here (and going by that Wikipedia entry, they might not be a nation for much longer! Heck, they might even end up as another US airbase...).

Shame he was disqualified though for running outside his lane.
    Last edited by Stuart; 21st-August-2008 at 12:55 PM. Reason: additional material

So, based on the last few posts, you could do a medal table based on a ratio of the number of medals to the population of the country.

Based on that, we would be ahead of China and the USA.

Perhaps Jamaica would do well based on that kind of calculation.

=======================

Update - and a quick Google provides the answer:

As of this morning Slovenia (1st) - 1 medal per 501,927 people, Armenia (2nd) - 1 medal per 593,717, Jamaica (3rd) - 1 medal per 701,083 people, Australia (4th) - 1 Medal per 710,374 people . . . . . United States (40th) - 1 medal per 4,674,225 people

Poss no-one else on here was watching it, but I loved the show jumping individual comp yesterday. Some fantastic jumping, really close times, and the last rider jumped a great round, fast, clear. Fab TV.

Thread Information