Thread: Solar Eclipse anyone watching ?

Solar Eclipse anyone watching ?

In London the partial phase of the eclipse begins at 0933 BST (0833 GMT). Maximum eclipse is at 1018 BST (0918 GMT) when 12% of the Sun will be blocked. The partial eclipse ends at 1105 BST (1005 GMT).

Further north in the British Isles, observers enjoy a better view. From Edinburgh 23.5% of the Sun is covered and from Lerwick in the Shetland Isles, the Moon obscures 36% of the solar disk.

Re: Solar Eclipse anyone watching ?

It is typical summer weather in Glasgow – wet. No chance of seeing *any* of the sun, never mind partially.

I guess it was at its maximum about 9.50 – at least it was bloody dark outside!

Hope the weather's better for the folks who travelled to Russia to see it – can you imagine spending thousands of pounds, and travelling half-way round the world, just to stand in the rain and watch it get dark?
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

Quote Originally Posted by ducasi View Post
    It is typical summer weather in Glasgow – wet. No chance of seeing *any* of the sun, never mind partially.

I guess it was at its maximum about 9.50 – at least it was bloody dark outside!

Hope the weather's better for the folks who travelled to Russia to see it – can you imagine spending thousands of pounds, and travelling half-way round the world, just to stand in the rain and watch it get dark?
    I still got the glasses from 1999 so can look at the sun

Looks like decent weather in russia and china, was going to go

watch it live if you like,its about 12% at present 11.17 BST in china will go 100%

Exploratorium: Total Solar Eclipse 2008 Live from China

Next one 22nd July 2009 will be longest this century (over 6 mins) but into monsoon season (south of Japan)

One in USA for me another cert to go Total Solar Eclipse: August 21 2017

Donna

you were a bit late posting this stu.. I've missed it now! and the sun is shining outside! doh.

Quote Originally Posted by Donna View Post
    you were a bit late posting this stu.. I've missed it now! and the sun is shining outside! doh.
    August 16th Lunar one , that should be good from UK as moon low down

Last one i saw was at Camber

About 80% now in china see web link above , some clouds

Of course a layman wouldnt notice anything less then cira 75% (ie light levels etc)

Donna

Been watching it right the way through now.. crowd are going insane!

How many years ago was it when we had ours now? To me it only feels like 4 years ago but it was probably longer than that.

I remember it being a very strange experience.. me and mum were watching it together.. and although it only seemed I got up a couple of hours ago.. the skies starting to go red.. that looked, and felt as though it was nearly time to go to bed. Funny how it can trick the brain like that.. even though you know it's only around midday. It certainly confused the birds! They were going wild in woods across the way.. what a racket they were making! Probably thought it was nearly time for bed so they all headed back to their nests.

Quote Originally Posted by Donna View Post
    Been watching it right the way through now.. crowd are going insane!

How many years ago was it when we had ours now? To me it only feels like 4 years ago but it was probably longer than that.

I remember it being a very strange experience.. me and mum were watching it together.. and although it only seemed I got up a couple of hours ago.. the skies starting to go red.. that looked, and felt as though it was nearly time to go to bed. Funny how it can trick the brain like that.. even though you know it's only around midday. It certainly confused the birds! They were going wild in woods across the way.. what a racket they were making! Probably thought it was nearly time for bed so they all headed back to their nests.

It was 11th August 1999 cira 97% london and 100% penanze (where it was cloudy !)

I wont be around for the next one in the UK although Faroes maybe ?

--------------------------
    The next total solar eclipse visible from the UK mainland is on 23 September 2090. One is visible from the Faroes in 2015 and another from the Channel Islands in 2081

--------------------

august 12th 2026 will give us about 85%
    Last edited by stewart38; 1st-August-2008 at 12:42 PM.

Donna

Quote Originally Posted by stewart38 View Post
    It was 11th August 1999 cira 97% london and 100% penanze (where it was cloudy !)

I wont be around for the next one in the UK although Faroes maybe ?

--------------------------
    The next total solar eclipse visible from the UK mainland is on 23 September 2090. One is visible from the Faroes in 2015 and another from the Channel Islands in 2081

--------------------
    1999???!!! I find that hard to believe... 9 years ago! I was only 17.l..... bloody hell. Jeeeez where does the time go?!

I saw it perfectly. T'was a good sight.

Donna

Quote Originally Posted by Steven666 View Post
    I saw it perfectly. T'was a good sight.
    yeah? Lucky you.

I saw it for a couple of minutes before the clouds obscured it.

August 16th Lunar one , that should be good from UK as moon low down

(ie light levels etc)
    Just to remind people to have a look at the moon tomorrow

As its going to be low should be a good one

AlphaGalileo.Org - the Internet-based news centre for European science, engineering and technology.

It begins at 1923 BST when the Moon enters the lightest part of the Earth’s shadow, the penumbra. Soon after the Moon will have a slight yellowish hue. From London the eclipsed Moon will be visible after it rises at 2011 BST while observers in Glasgow will see it from 2040 BST. The Moon enters the darker part of the terrestrial shadow, the umbra, at 2036 BST. Greatest eclipse is at 2210 BST, when more than 80% of the visible side of the Moon will be within the umbra and the remainder within the penumbra. The Moon leaves the umbra at 2344 BST and finally the eclipse finishes when it exits the penumbra at 0057 BST (on 17th August).

During the eclipse the Moon lies in front of the stars of the constellation of Capricornus and to its right will be the planet Jupiter. From the UK, the Moon will be fairly low in the sky throughout the event, so the eclipse promises to be a beautiful sight presenting good opportunities for photographers. And unlike an eclipse of the Sun, the whole event is quite safe to watch and needs no special equipment.

I should add to view the moon safely you need too put on a thick green wooly jumper and red hat, dark sun glasses , stand on one leg and spin around 3 times

As its going to be low should be a good one

AlphaGalileo.Org - the Internet-based news centre for European science, engineering and technology.

It begins at 1923 BST when the Moon enters the lightest part of the Earth’s shadow, the penumbra. Soon after the Moon will have a slight yellowish hue. From London the eclipsed Moon will be visible after it rises at 2011 BST while observers in Glasgow will see it from 2040 BST. The Moon enters the darker part of the terrestrial shadow, the umbra, at 2036 BST. Greatest eclipse is at 2210 BST, when more than 80% of the visible side of the Moon will be within the umbra and the remainder within the penumbra. The Moon leaves the umbra at 2344 BST and finally the eclipse finishes when it exits the penumbra at 0057 BST (on 17th August).

During the eclipse the Moon lies in front of the stars of the constellation of Capricornus and to its right will be the planet Jupiter. From the UK, the Moon will be fairly low in the sky throughout the event, so the eclipse promises to be a beautiful sight presenting good opportunities for photographers. And unlike an eclipse of the Sun, the whole event is quite safe to watch and needs no special equipment.
    I went outside to look whilst dancing at Putney, but couldn't see it.

Had my suede soled shoes on so didn't want to walk about looking.

Anyhow eclipses are not lucky.

It was a full moon.

* Never look at a new moon through glass - unlucky.

Quote Originally Posted by Astro View Post
    I went outside to look whilst dancing at Putney, but couldn't see it.

Had my suede soled shoes on so didn't want to walk about looking.

Anyhow eclipses are not lucky.

It was a full moon.

* Never look at a new moon through glass - unlucky.
    It was sod law where i was cloudy for the duration and then about 1am the moon appeared as the clouds lifted

Thread Information