Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recruitment of new dancers.

Recruitment of new dancers.

Aye aye sport fans!!!!!

Right ho then just got back in from pricing a couple of jobs with a plasterer client of mine. Anyway during our construction workers chatting, ie, fu*k me she would have it not arf, hello darling fancy a bit of rough then etc etc etc. The normal parry and riposte of 2 gentlemen tradesmen, the topic came up that he was single.

Oh hello a passible new man for dancing thinks I. So upshot of it was is that he is going to be coming to Stevenage on a wednesday night and he is going to bring a couple of single mates with him, result thinks I, or is it?

I cant help thinking that I may have shot meself in the foot here. Do I as a minority man in the world of dance, really want more men in a dance club, taking dances away from me?

Well the answer is the more men we get the better, because of the lack of men type situation.

Anyway topic for discussion is?

Do you recruit?

How do you recruit?

The best possible recruiters are enthusiastic dancers? Are they not?

You det my drift.....5678 Open fire.

DTS XXX XXX

Re: Recruitment of new dancers.

the best way to recruit is to get the enthusiastic dances as they can put across the passion and desire to dance though sometimes they can come across a bit 'camp' and scare them off...or is that just me? I think its the eye liner...

You can busk but that attracts more ladies.

for guys you just have to say have you thought about dancing and they be very non-committal and just say come along and you can see if you like it or not. thats the best thing to do I think

Quote Originally Posted by dave the scaffolder View Post
    Anyway during our construction workers chatting, ie, fu*k me she would have it not arf, hello darling fancy a bit of rough then etc etc etc.

Open question to the ladies I guess do they want these kind of 'men'

Quote Originally Posted by Clueless View Post
    the best way to recruit is to get the enthusiastic dances as they can put across the passion and desire to dance though sometimes they can come across a bit 'camp' and scare them off...or is that just me? I think its the eye liner...

You can busk but that attracts more ladies.

for guys you just have to say have you thought about dancing and they be very non-committal and just say come along and you can see if you like it or not. thats the best thing to do I think
    I've talked about dancing with lots of guys, including the single ones - and never in a camp way so maybe I'm choosing my eye-liner correctly........

I've tried the tack of saying it's a great way to get the stresses of the working day out, to which many of the guys have said they notice the positive difference in me but they still don't go dancing.

I've also mentioned the 'target rich environment' (sorry ladies an old military term that is not meant to sound as bad as it does) where single attractive ladies of all ages outnumber guys, with all the possibilites that this might bring to a single guy's social life. That didn't seem to work maybe its simply too easy to get this kind of attention over a drink in a bar now (i'd not know having been married for 20+ years).

I've had several chats with my 15 yr old son and mentioned how being able to dance will make him look good in clubs etc when he's older, but he's getting enough 'attention' from members of the opposite sex right now so he doesn't see the need.

I have persuaded a couple of guys to start in their local area but then they were married and took their respective wives so that didn't help the imbalance either.

I'm all for getting more guys to dance but I'm lost for insight as to how we manage this. I think that DTS has the right idea and that maybe we need to encourage groups of single guys to come along together - probably harder to do initially but then if a couple like it you might get them all staying - but it might go exactly the other way with the whole guy peer pressure thing.

Best way to get new men dancing, is to get the lovely and attractive women to recruit them. Just get them to drop the line, "It's a great way to meet people, especially lots of ladies" and you have them hook, line and sinker.

I've given up trying to recruit my male friends. They all either think I'm gay or strange, or that it would make them gay/strange.

But then as was said by Stewart, do the ladies really want to dance with those kind of men?

Oh behave yourself a flippant posting about our conversation has no relevence to recruiting dancers. Get a sense of humour .

DTS XXX XXX

Quote Originally Posted by stewart38 View Post
    Open question to the ladies I guess do they want these kind of 'men'
    Well I am one of those sort of men, when I am at work.

When I am dancing I am different.

We are all multifaceted in our lives. Big word for a rough builder type.

DTS XXX XXX

Quote Originally Posted by Clueless View Post
    ... You can busk but that attracts more ladies. ..
    In my career I worked my way up to the top floor, as assistant to the area managers. (The areas being Europe, Africs, Middle East.) I was surrounded by beautiful women in administrator roles. It became evident that the personnel officer was hiring with them attractivity as their main attribute. A lot of them were not very good at their jobs.

I heard him taken to task over their performance. He defence: We are the market leaders. We depend on the expertise of the men we hire. We hire the best and set the market rate for them. Whatever we pay them our competitors will expect to pay them more to get them away from us. They can get them away from us (managers) but not from them (waves hand towards typing pool).

One of the things that keeps men coming to Mj is the constant stream of new ladies that come in. A busk brings in a bevy of new ladies, They tell their friends, and they pass it on. Fewer men come in, but they do come back, and they do come more frequently.

If a venue gets to the point of equal numbers it may be a sign that it is time to do more recruiting.

oh please tell all your guys that it's a great way to meet women!
    Maybe we won't have 10 -15 extra women in class all the time
    More guys wanted!!!!!!

It is funny. At different points I have attempted to recruit workmates - no luck (I must be too quiet at work for them to picture me as the extrovert i become on the dancefloor ). I tried to get my (female) cousin to come - but although she came and enjoyed herself, she is now pregnant, so it will take a little time to get her back into the dance scene.

Funnily enough I have had more luck enrolling guys :shrug: one guy just needed encouragement to come back, but one of my best friends is now more addicted to the dance scene (in some ways) than I am . He even lurks on the forum from time to time too,

So Hi

Cheers Whitetiger

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Villemo View Post
    oh please tell all your guys that it's a great way to meet women!
    Maybe we won't have 10 -15 extra women in class all the time
    More guys wanted!!!!!!
    I've said this before and I'll say it again. Men come dancing because women bring them. Women come dancing because they see and advert, a busk, a poster, they're told by friends, find it on the net, etc, etc. But, from our new starter feedback forms I can tell you that the majority of men come because a woman told them to.

This means that women should not complain about men over, the solution to the 15 women over thing is in their hands. As organisers we recruit the women - the women recruit the men (please ). There is no promotional route that I can find that recruits more men than women - all promotion that I do seems to attract more women.

On the subject of the type of men you get and if there are any men that you shouldn't invite. I find this is not a problem. Most men seem to be well behaved at a dance class, no matter what their background. There are a few exceptions and I detect them quickly and tell them not to return I'm sure most organisers are the same.

On the subject of what to do with difficult men, here is something that happened last night. A newish dancer (who is absolutely hopeless after 6 lessons - probably the most badly coordinated person I've ever seen in my class), upset a lady in the beginners lesson by telling her it was her fault she wasn't getting the moves. She mentioned it to my demo, I got Sue to have a word with him. He worked out who it was and apologised. But he obviously did it in a grudging and accusatory way - the woman left in tears and her friend, a regular, said that the guy had told her off for dobbing him in. I'm inclined to stop the guy at the door and tell him he's not welcome.

There's even a business rationale. We have to stick him with a crew member each time he comes (he joined the beginners lesson late yesterday so this didn't happen) because he's so bad - he pays £4 and it costs me £12 for each crew member in terms of lost income.

Do I give him a warning or do I simply say "you've insulted a lady and made her cry, please don't come back"?

Quote Originally Posted by Andy McGregor View Post

Do I give him a warning or do I simply say "you've insulted a lady and made her cry, please don't come back"?[/COLOR]
    I thought he apologised ? given you know the way he apologised wasnt 'correct', ie you were listening in ,why the debate ?

Ban him for being useless

re the girl get her therpy ?

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by stewart38 View Post
    I thought he apologised ? given you know the way he apologised wasnt 'correct', ie you were listening in ,why the debate ?
    We're having a debate because that's what we do on here. On the subject of this guy. I think he's just insensitive - as well as being unable to tell his left from his right

My inclination is to give him a warning about his insensitivity. Making a complete stranger cry is totally unacceptable, no matter how much his victim needs therapy (in the opinion of S38).

My feeling is that, in the long term, this guy will give up. I was expecting him to have given up already as he dances like each night is his first night and like he's never had a dance lesson in his life - and he keeps telling me he's a great R&R dancer who is simply trying a different dance

...On the subject of the type of men you get and if there are any men that you shouldn't invite. I find this is not a problem. Most men seem to be well behaved at a dance class, no matter what their background...
    The b*stards know how to act.

I do get the impression that dance classes do have a considerable social educational value. A lot of men seem to improve their attitudes considerably as a result of coming to dance classes. I have seen a few "lads" become civilised, and quite rapidly. The women, of course, are far more able to comment on this.

Quote Originally Posted by bigdjiver View Post
    The b*stards know how to act.

I do get the impression that dance classes do have a considerable social educational value. A lot of men seem to improve their attitudes considerably as a result of coming to dance classes. I have seen a few "lads" become civilised, and quite rapidly. The women, of course, are far more able to comment on this.
    Coilud not agree more dancing has certinally civillised me.

DTS XXX XXX

We're having a debate because that's what we do on here. On the subject of this guy. I think he's just insensitive - as well as being unable to tell his left from his right

My inclination is to give him a warning about his insensitivity. Making a complete stranger cry is totally unacceptable, no matter how much his victim needs therapy (in the opinion of S38).

My feeling is that, in the long term, this guy will give up. I was expecting him to have given up already as he dances like each night is his first night and like he's never had a dance lesson in his life - and he keeps telling me he's a great R&R dancer who is simply trying a different dance
    I apologie, i read it the women left in tears ie at end of evening

Clearly if he reduce her to tears thats a different matter

I still feel the 'standard' of his dancing after 6 weeks is not relevant his actions are.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by whitetiger1518 View Post
    It is funny. At different points I have attempted to recruit workmates - no luck (I must be too quiet at work for them to picture me as the extrovert i become on the dancefloor ).

I tried to get my (female) cousin to come - but although she came and enjoyed herself, she is now pregnant, so it will take a little time to get her back into the dance scene.
    Blimey! What class did you make her go to?!

I suppose that's one way to try to even out the gender imbalance....

she is quite happily pregnant by her non ceroc dancing husband

If I can get her back to dancing after she has had sproglet, then maybe i might have help bringing him along too. After all my successful CEROC conversion was his best man (and our best friend).

We find like everyone else here that it's women who are attracted and start ceroc through friends, busks, promotional leaflets or news articles. Yes, they generally bring male friends/partners along, and hopefully word of mouth brings along more men.

In terms of busks, we've found you need to have a real mix of people handing out leaflets and speaking to potential customers so you can approach them with the most appropriate person, ie send off your most attractive girls to speak to a group of young guys, and don't send older people to talk to young people. Yes it's stereotypical, but people want to come along dancing to somewhere they can find people like them.

I always wonder though, when we get a group of men starting together how they find out about ceroc - sometimes it seems totally random, especially when they don't know anyone else who goes.

I've invited every guy I know to dancing at some point I think! Some didn't need to be persuaded, they came and gave it a go (and then brought their male friends) and some I had to work on over time (one guy took me a couple of years - he now loves it and dances a couple of nights a week). And of course I have invited lots of female friends as well.

The advantage to this is that there is a lot of overlap with my social circle and the dancers. Its rare that I am out at a non dancing social night out and there aren't several other dancers there - and sometimes, if there is space and music we get up and dance - because the best way to recruit people is let them see how much fun it is!

Thread Information