Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What Makes A Good Party?

What Makes A Good Party?

Okay have gone and done it...agreed to my daughter having a 21st birthday party at home, am I mad?

So, venue sorted, food sort of sorted, music sort of sorted in fact everything is sort of sorted, don't even know where to start on the drink front . Actually I am panicking a bit now, what could be done, in your opinion, for helpful planning to make it a good one?

The list is getting longer by the day but it seems that there will be about 80 odd people, of which 45 will have just graduated from uni and ready to get, 'wasted' I think was the word used!

All suggestions greatly appreciated!

Blog Entries

Re: What Makes A Good Party?

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Jay View Post
    Okay have gone and done it...agreed to my daughter having a 21st birthday party at home, am I mad?

So, venue sorted, food sort of sorted, music sort of sorted in fact everything is sort of sorted, don't even know where to start on the drink front . Actually I am panicking a bit now, what could be done, in your opinion, for helpful planning to make it a good one?

The list is getting longer by the day but it seems that there will be about 80 odd people, of which 45 will have just graduated from uni and ready to get, 'wasted' I think was the word used!

All suggestions greatly appreciated!

leave home.

Seriously, i would consider some bouncers for the door or people that can look after things if things do turn a bit rowdy. I would also remove anything breakable, nickable or valuable and cover anything expensive like carpets etc.

Whilst she may assure you that these are ok kids, wasted they become twats.

good luck Jay Jay. My thoughts will be with you

Quote Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
    leave home.

Seriously, i would consider some bouncers for the door or people that can look after things if things do turn a bit rowdy. I would also remove anything breakable, nickable or valuable and cover anything expensive like carpets etc.

good luck Jay Jay. My thoughts will be with you

Wasn't even thinking about it from that angle! (I am so trusting/stupid), I do know about 90% of them, they are respectful kids and mixed in with the partycomers are my close friends and family too. Now I am even more panicky than I was before!!!!!!!!

Hopefully she won't tell anyone on facebook and post her address.

£4.4m villa trashed after Facebook party | Metro.co.uk

You, are a very very brave person, if possibly a little stupid

A party for THAT many people at your house? Most of them drunk? Well if you have enough 'responsible' adults there, you might just be ok, but I'de def do the whole 'hide everying of any value' thing. Only takes one person to stumpble while drunk and you find your TV smashed or that nice vase in pieces.

As for the fun side of things. Cocktails and lots of them. They are fun to drink, and it means less bottles of beer/wine and cans etc lying around. Also, Vodka Jelly always goes down a treat (just be sure that one person doesn't take it upon themselves to empty the entire bowl like one of my friends did).

Make it a fancy dress type thing if you can get away with it, people are sometimes less likely to get totally trashed if they have to return a costume. Though don't take my word on that one

All I can say, is good luck, you need it!

I'd suggest going ahead with the party, but renting a hall and still having some people on the door to make sure the local yobs don't turn up and make it a 21st to remember for all the wrong reasons

The trouble these days is that people broadcast the party over social networking sites and idiots turn up with the specific intention of wrecking the place. Is there any reason why you're having it at home?

Do you have a very large house?!

If not, have you got a gazebo thingy for the garden in case it rains?

Lots of ashtrays, and if you don't want smoking in the house, then put a sign or two up saying "smokers outside please".

Make sure you have dustpan and brush, first aid kit, alka sletzer and painkillers handy!

If you've got a mixed batch of people, 21 year olds and older family members, it will hopefully stop the younger ones from getting too trashed, but can't hurt to be prepared.

Quote Originally Posted by Filthy Monkey View Post
    The trouble these days is that people broadcast the party over social networking sites and idiots turn up with the specific intention of wrecking the place. Is there any reason why you're having it at home?
    She is purely asking her friends that I have known for years and her uni friends that she has been living with for the last three years, I am really not expecting a problem with local yobs.

I have a fair size garden, being the end of August, hopefully weather permitting most people will be outside, I have arranged a large 'gazebo' type thing to be put up, which should hold 40 odd people (gets worse the uni mates travelling from all over are going to be sleeping in it....which means breakfast too).

Also, just to add the house is in desperate need of redecorating so a party at this time is just about right.

I'd suggest going ahead with the party, but renting a hall and still having some people on the door to make sure the local yobs don't turn up and make it a 21st to remember for all the wrong reasons
    If 80 plus people - rent a hall.

Some pubs have rooms you can use for free, as long as people pay over the bar for drinks.

Get a list of people who will be attending, and a couple of people on the door checking them in.

If it is going to be in your house... someone on the door, a room for coats and bags, and someone controlling that room. Your personal valuables locked away. An outside smoking area, a notice in the garden saying "this is a garden, if you need to be sick please use the toilet" - no locks on the toilet, as someone will prob fall asleep in the toilet with a locked door, and then the garden takes a big hit. A back-up of booze, some wine and beer for when those cheap asses bring less than they are going to drink. A few cool boxes or large plastic containers with ice in to put the booze people bring. A few "no smoking indoors" signs.

House parties can be a lot of fun. Be aware not everyone is house proud, so one or two might need "advice" or "help".

Good luck...

jay Jay I have a bloke working for me who has done lots of door work and is big and very calm he may do the door for you. If you are interested pm me and i will have a word with him.

Could be me and him.

DTS XXX XX

Quote Originally Posted by dave the scaffolder View Post
    jay Jay I have a bloke working for me who has done lots of door work and is big and very calm he may do the door for you. If you are interested pm me and i will have a word with him.

Could be me and him.

DTS XXX XX
    Oh what a load of BS, You just want to perve at the Uni students....

Then you would leave your mate on the door and "cruise"

You are sooooo transparent...

She is purely asking her friends that I have known for years and her uni friends that she has been living with for the last three years, I am really not expecting a problem with local yobs.
    I'm sure her friends are lovely and you will have no problem with them, but the trouble with events these days is that it is almost fashionable for people to turn up en masse and trash the house. I'm not suggesting for one second that her friends will do this, but if word gets out that there is a party and somebody sticks it on Facebook, you could end up with a whole lot of trouble! I'd say that having somebody on the door is the very least security measure you should consider. I don't envy you, but do have it all to look forward to...

Commercial Operator

I've been there. My advice is to stay home and keep an eye on them. Do not even consider going out. Not for a moment. They will be well behaved while you're there. In my experience they will be sick in the cupboard under the stairs and you'll have to spend ages clearing it out and cleaning things. Even then, the other day I found a roof-rack strap that had been tainted

Quote Originally Posted by Andy McGregor View Post
    I've been there. My advice is to stay home and keep an eye on them. Do not even consider going out. Not for a moment. They will be well behaved while you're there. In my experience they will be sick in the cupboard under the stairs and you'll have to spend ages clearing it out and cleaning things. Even then, the other day I found a roof-rack strap that had been tainted
    I cannot believe it ... I was told by your daughter that she does not drink and is a perfect role model of the youth of today...

However, she was drunk at the time, so she could have been telling me porkies

Quote Originally Posted by Trouble View Post

Also hide any animals you may have in the house. They will die. I'm not joking.

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Also, just to add the house is in desperate need of redecorating so a party at this time is just about right.
    Oh dear, what a pessimistic lot we have

I'm with you Jay Jay, I wouldn't expect 'my' kids to invite anyone they feared might 'trash' our home either. I think/hope they'd have more respect than that!

And, as you say, she's 21, not 16, hopefully they'll have gone through that phase of drinking to oblivion, just to be big!

I'm sure her friends are lovely and you will have no problem with them,

My advice would be to prepare as much as you can beforehand but on the night, just try to just relax, have fun and enjoy your daughter's big day!

I remember going to a friends party once, where the parents had already decided before we arrived, that we were all a bunch of riff raff and therefore, were going to be treated as such and so, as soon as we arrived, we were read the riot act... it didn't go down well and I'm afraid all it served to do, was to make instant enemies of everyone.

Then as the kids got 'merry', they became the perfect target of many a joke!

The daughter had a miserable party and by the end of it, she hated all her friends AND her parents!

So, my advise would be to be as friendly and welcoming as you possibly can and get them all on your side! Tell them all how fab they are, at regular intervals!

And don't forget, its all about your daughter and parties are supposed to be FUN!
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Quote Originally Posted by Lory View Post
    Tell them all how fab they are, at regular intervals!
    I'd advise avoid using the word "fab" at any point during the party...unless you like being laughed out of your own house.

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Double Trouble View Post
    I'd advise avoid using the word "fab" at any point during the party...unless you like being laughed out of your own house.
    Hmm, I think you may have a point!

Tell them how 'sick' they all are then!

MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

I'm with Lory on this one...what a pessimistic lot you are!

I'm 25 and my brother is 22. We both had 18th and 21st birthday parties in our parent's house with around 80ish people attending, inlcuding friends and families. There wasn't any trouble at any of those parties and both my brother and I were careful about who we invited!

I think Lory is right that the best approach is to be friendly towards your daughters friends it makes for a much nicer evening if they feel welcome from the start! My parent's did such a great job that they are fondly known to mine and my brother's friends as Mama and Papa G!

Infact as I remember it, at my brother's 21st it was our parent's and their friends that caused the trouble! My Dad's best friend was winding up my brother's best friend, Nat about his girlfriend! When my Dad's friend reminded him to be careful, Nat replied by pulling a condom out of his wallet! If that wasn't embarrassing enough my parents and their friends then proceeded to blow it up like a balloon and pass it between each other like a balloon!

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lory View Post
    Oh dear, what a pessimistic lot we have
    Absolutely. Good grief, she´s not 16, she´s a Uni graduate. Just because you read horror stories doesn´t mean all parties will turn into nightmares.

That all said, 80 people is a lot for a house party. But then, you invite 80 people and you usually only get 50 or so. Still a lot, but manageable.

I hope she has a great time,

Thread Information