Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: "pharma/alternative medicine/superstitious nonsense"

"pharma/alternative medicine/superstitious nonsense"

Quote Originally Posted by Poi Boi View Post
    Going on from what Astro said, I thought I'de tell you about 'Energy Vampires' (not a great site to explain, but it will do)

I've had a few encounters with people that just literally suck the life out of you. The first time I was aware of such creatures was shortly after doing my Reiki 1. I was working on a client who was very unresponsive and just didn't seem to be enjoying the massage. Afterwards she said very little, and just left. Normally after working on someone, I feel good, regardless whether or not I think I helped much. After this woman, I felt awefull. It took me a long time to walk back to the train station, when I got home I had a shower and had to sit down cos I didn't have the energy to stand up. I continued to feel like this for a few days. When I saw my reiki teacher again, he put me down on a table and ran his hands over my aura (whether or not you believe any of this is up to you, but there were several others around) and when he came to my Solar Plexus, his hands dropped considerably. He said I literally had no energy there and had had it sucked out of me . After about an hour or two, he managed to make me feel much much better and I was able to concentrate for the first time in days. Ever since I have been carefull not to allow such a thing to happen again.

Now imagine a situation like the above happening over several years or even months! No wonder sometimes people in bad relationships end up as shadows of their former selves!

Maybe part of what makes a ba*tard is that they sap your energy from you!

Re: Why do lovely ladies' fall for ba*tards?

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Shnikov View Post
    Barry, whether you believe in the idea of aura or not, surely you've come across people who just leave you feeling exhausted, and others who leave you feeling energised and good? That's all it is. The exact mechanism (psychological, physiological, spiritual, mental, emotional) doesn't matter.

Now don't start!

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Twirly View Post
    Barry, whether you believe in the idea of aura or not, surely you've come across people who just leave you feeling exhausted, and others who leave you feeling energised and good?
    I'm not sure I have. Does this happen a lot ?

Have you ever just met someone or known someone that after meeting them you feel tired/drained etc? Or maybe a person who just takes and takes, but never gives anything back? Or a person that you feel obliged to do things for, even though you get no return, and not even an emotional reward? They are people who just feed off the energy of others, and like parasites, often leave the host drained.

Whether or not you believe in aura's or anything like it, it's a very real phenomona and happens to people all the time. They even think that the first stories of Vampires arose from people who leave us like this, in the past, the only way to describe it was to do with blood being drained.

It's a scary thing to happen to you, especially when you are more aware of it. Some people may never experience it, others may just be seen as a big well of energy that is there to be drained dry.

Just be aware of doing this yourself. Sapping others energy for yourself is nasty, whether you do it knowingly or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe View Post
    I'm not sure I have. Does this happen a lot ?
    You're lucky if you've never met someone who drains your energy, and unlucky if you've never met anyone who adds to it. And yes, it does happen a lot, IMO.

Barry, whether you believe in the idea of aura or not, surely you've come across people who just leave you feeling exhausted, and others who leave you feeling energised and good? That's all it is. The exact mechanism (psychological, physiological, spiritual, mental, emotional) doesn't matter.

Now don't start!
    Possibly. But there are no hocus-pocus explanations required. Some people are just hard bloody work.

Have I ever felt my 'energy' being sapped by someone? No. Because I don't have that sort of 'energy' - the sort that produces auras - and neither does anyone else. But I've certainly felt my enthusiasm dissipating when, e.g., surrounded by plenty of people expressing negative views.

Have you ever just met someone or known someone that after meeting them you feel tired/drained etc? Or maybe a person who just takes and takes, but never gives anything back? Or a person that you feel obliged to do things for, even though you get no return, and not even an emotional reward? They are people who just feed off the energy of others, and like parasites, often leave the host drained.

Whether or not you believe in aura's or anything like it, it's a very real phenomona and happens to people all the time. They even think that the first stories of Vampires arose from people who leave us like this, in the past, the only way to describe it was to do with blood being drained.
    The vampire myth is an ancient archetype.

Bram Stoker just used the archetype to write a best seller comparitively recently.

Also we could use the Greek myth of Kor's decent into the underworld.
    The Romans used different names for the same myth. She is Persephone in Roman.

There is always a trigger that let's the negative force operate.

In this case Kor/Persephone who was a maiden (meaning innocent) picked some flowers (forget the name, but they carried an unknown risk to Kor/Persephone - because she was innocent.

Innocent in the meaning of not knowing about danger - which "allowed" Hades/Pluto to abduct her and take her to the underworld. (away from life giving sun)
    It's a scary thing to happen to you, especially when you are more aware of it. Some people may never experience it, others may just be seen as a big well of energy that is there to be drained dry.
    If you are in the audience of one of those psychic shows, the person on stage sometimes picks a member in the audience who has a high life force - and drains it for his/her use on stage.

Just be aware of doing this yourself. Sapping others energy for yourself is nasty, whether you do it knowingly or not.
    Some dancers feed my energy fields, but I do hope that I'm feeding theirs at the same time. It can be a mutual positive exchange of energy.

Other dancers leave me feeling drained and worn out after one dance with them. I don't know if they are drained too, or if they have syphoned off my energy.

Have I ever felt my 'energy' being sapped by someone? No. Because I don't have that sort of 'energy' - the sort that produces auras - and neither does anyone else.
    possibly you put a guard around yourself naturally Barry.

Some people are too open and vunerable to draining. If you are then to stop it, imagine yourself in a golden bubble.

Poi Boi - you must do this, or another method, whenever you are practicing Reiki. Your teacher should have told you. Also wash your hands at the end. Or even during if you feel sapped, as many times as you want. Water is great for getting rid of negative energy. A long shower is what you should have had after that patient who sapped your energy.

She probably was not doing it on purpose. She probably was so low in energy that her body automatically hooked into yours. After all that's what she was there for - treatment.

But I've certainly felt my enthusiasm dissipating when, e.g., surrounded by plenty of people expressing negative views.
    Negative views can be very draining too. The mind and body are linked.

In fact the mind takes a knocking before the body starts to feel ill.

The world is hard enough to live in without picking negative friends and lovers. Thjey are supposed to boost us. Mutually, of course.

Commercial Operator

You're lucky if you've never met someone who drains your energy, and unlucky if you've never met anyone who adds to it. And yes, it does happen a lot, IMO.
    Not everyone is "energy aware"... some people may actually be drained but are too oblivious to their bodies to notice... yes there are people out there like that. They're usually the more "rigid"/hard people to emotionally contact.

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by ~*~Saligal~*~ View Post
    Not everyone is "energy aware"... some people may actually be drained but are too oblivious to their bodies to notice... yes there are people out there like that. They're usually the more "rigid"/hard people to emotionally contact.
    Sometimes I wonder if this whole "there are powers at work that science can't explain" is another way of controlling people.

I am not aware of any scientific evidence to support auras. You can't see them and you can't touch them. Therefore somebody had to make them up. All it takes is enough people to believe that person who made them up in the first place: then they exist!

Auras may have been made up to expain the inexplicable, a bit like "bad air" was made up to fit the cause of observed disease. You have a real disease as evidence that the "bad air" exists - but it never did and later research found the actual cause of those diseases. It's the same with energy levels. Some people feel full of beans at some times (and sometimes those beans result in "bad air" ) and feel really low at other times. So somebody invented auras as a possible way of explaining this phenomenon.

I think it's all a way of getting people who aren't sick to pay for medical treatment

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Andy McGregor View Post
    Sometimes I wonder if this whole "there are powers at work that science can't explain" is another way of controlling people.
    Often it is, as most things are with these pesky humans. Whether it is steering people in the "right" or "good" direction or not, it is steering people in "your" direction as the controlling party. Its ironic

I think it's all a way of getting people who aren't sick to pay for medical treatment
    Indeed, I have a friend who does Reiki - well several strangely - but this guy was nicknamed "Obi Wan" due to his unshakeable belief in the power of this force. Others are less preachy

Blog Entries

I think we may have got a bit off topic, but I had Bell's Palsy and was facing the possibility of spending the rest of my life with half of my face paralysed.
    I got a free Reiki treatment and on the same day I started getting twitches on the paralysed side which signalled the beginning of the healing process.
    I'm not sure I believe the whole energy and aura thing and it could have been an enormous coincidence, but I strongly believe that the Reiki accelerated my healing.

Auras may have a more scientific explanation, but I don't doubt they exist in some form or other.

They can be photographed using Kirlian Photography and for the flipside argument check out Skeptics Dictionary

Or alternatively, go find a Zen monk or Tai Chi master (or such similar individual) and I doubt they would deny the existance of an 'energy force'.

Which is uncannily similar to much of the pharmaceutical industry......

I remember going to an internal presentation by the Marketing Director at one of the big pharma companies, and he used the words: "...when we invented ADHD.....".

After that, I decided to take a more judicious approach to working with big pharma.

They can be photographed using Kirlian Photography and for the flipside argument check out Skeptics Dictionary

now, where to start really ? So, coins have an aura too, since it shows up on Kirlian photos ?

Or alternatively, go find a Zen monk or Tai Chi master (or such similar individual) and I doubt they would deny the existance of an 'energy force'.
    you do realise it is like asking Tom Cruise if people have had past lives, yes ?

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Caro View Post

now, where to start really ? So, coins have an aura too, since it shows up on Kirlian photos ?

you do realise it is like asking Tom Cruise if people have had past lives, yes ?
    I much preferred it when Caro disagreed with me to get my attention

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by JiveLad View Post
    Which is uncannily similar to much of the pharmaceutical industry......

I remember going to an internal presentation by the Marketing Director at one of the big pharma companies, and he used the words: "...when we invented ADHD.....".

After that, I decided to take a more judicious approach to working with big pharma.
    As someone who has worked for "big pharma" for almost 30 years I find myself agreeing and disagreeing with JiveLad.

There are a few marketing led changes to diagnosis profiles. However most drugs are developed to treat conditions that are diagnosed by doctors. Mostly those changes are there to segment patients presenting with similar symptoms and to provide a more accurate diagnosis and, therefore, a more specific treatment. I have never worked for any company that has invented a condition and, I think, that Marketing Director may have been speaking tongue in cheek.

Having said the above, I can remember when, as a Product Manager in "big pharma" marketing I dreamt up many ways to describe constipation to consumers. They all meant "not able to poo as frequently as nature intended" but appealed to different personality types. Among many descriptions, some people wanted to be told they had a sluggish digestion and others liked to hear that they had a long transit time, but they all had the same condition.

Oh, back on topic. I think all ba*tards who mis-treat ladies are constipated
    Last edited by Andy McGregor; 25th-July-2008 at 05:25 PM.

There are a few marketing led changes to diagnosis profiles. However most drugs are developed to treat conditions that are diagnosed by doctors. Mostly those changes are there to segment patients presenting with similar symptoms and to provide a more accurate diagnosis and, therefore, a more specific treatment. I have never worked for any company that has invented a condition and, I think, that Marketing Director may have been speaking tongue in cheek.
    A couple of things Andy. Firstly, the Marketing Director was definitely not speaking tongue in cheek. This was a serious presentation as part of a product launch (and you can probably guess the company and product....).

"However most drugs are developed to treat conditions that are diagnosed by doctors."

Well....that is one perspective. Another is that there is an unhealthy (haha) relationship between some doctors and big pharma at many stages in the drug development lifecycle as well as in the area of prescribing.

One example I experienced in Poland when I was there in 2002 was one big pharma company was offering any doctor a free round world air ticket if the doctor jmanaged to reach 1,000 prescriptions for their product.

Ok this is Poland (not the UK where it is more 'subtle') - still the issue remains, and transparency of the results of trials is nowhere near where it should be (imho).

One of the big product areas which bugs (haha) me is that of statins. The longer term side effects are not known and there are so many simpler and more efficacious ways of achieving better outcomes (as the BBC series showed).

Still, I guess the whole system is now (sadly) part of our fabric with thousands of jobs and interweaving interests, so the JiveLad revolution will have to wait..............

(Way off thread..........isn't it funny how some threads veer off into other areas..........)

Quote Originally Posted by JiveLad View Post
    One example I experienced in Poland when I was there in 2002 was one big pharma company was offering any doctor a free round world air ticket if the doctor jmanaged to reach 1,000 prescriptions for their product.

Ok this is Poland (not the UK where it is more 'subtle') - still the issue remains, and transparency of the results of trials is nowhere near where it should be (imho).
    UK subtle?? UK = ABPI code of practice - definate repercussions for that sort of behaviour.

And speaking from the trials perspective, there's a fair bit of legislation (several EU directives to be precise) in addition to the quality standards we've been working to for years

(and yes, I work for big pharma )
    Last edited by David Bailey; 25th-July-2008 at 10:49 PM.

Thread Information