Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: How do we tackle the growing obesity problem ?

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Re: How do we tackle the growing obesity problem ?

Quote Originally Posted by stewart38 View Post

I remember toad in the hole with roast potatoes, and jam rolly polly.
    I remember Spam fritters, chips and gloopy spaghetti... followed by flapjacks and icecream.. What would Jamie Oliver think of that

Oh yeah and Cheese flan with soggy pastry, that smelt like sick!
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Quote Originally Posted by Lory View Post
    IOh yeah and Cheese flan with soggy pastry, that smelt like sick!
    I'm just off out to lunch, but not sure I'm hungry now I have that image in my head!

Quote Originally Posted by ducasi View Post
    By defining poverty in relative terms, the number of people in "poverty" will always remain high.

The most commonly used definition of relative poverty is "a level of income set at 60 per cent of the median household income."

So if we were to double the income of every family in the country over-night, the number of children in "poverty" wouldn't change at all.

The current median household income in the UK is about £25K. So, you are living in relative "poverty" if you earn less than 60% of that – £15K. That's certainly not a lot of money for a family to live on, but compared with the billion or so people in the world who live in *absolute* extreme poverty of less than a US dollar a day, it's riches.
    It's horrendous that thousands of chilren die every day, day in day out, year in year out because they have no clean drinking water, and that's before you've even mentioned food.

I certainly agree with the need to help those on low incomes with children, but I'm not so sure if there is so much *real* poverty in the UK.
    The greatest barrier to eradicating child poverty in the UK is beliefs like this which are perpetuated by the press. Ducasi thinks like most people.

The government don't get any support for tackling child poverty from voters.

That's why this coalition of agencies NGO's, including Oxfam, the teacher's unions, and various children's societies who know thw truth of the matter, coming together to ask the govt to keep it's promise to remove child poverty, is so positive.

I wonder how the press will report it?

Quote Originally Posted by Astro View Post
    It's horrendous that thousands of chilren die every day, day in day out, year in year out because they have no clean drinking water, and that's before you've even mentioned food.

The greatest barrier to eradicating child poverty in the UK is beliefs like this which are perpetuated by the press. Ducasi thinks like most people.

The government don't get any support for tackling child poverty from voters.

That's why this coalition of agencies NGO's, including Oxfam, the teacher's unions, and various children's societies who know thw truth of the matter, coming together to ask the govt to keep it's promise to remove child poverty, is so positive.

I wonder how the press will report it?
    Are you refering to the UK ,where there is no child poverty (relatively) or the Third World

Im not sure what Teachers unions have to do with Child poverty

Are you refering to the UK ,where there is no child poverty (relatively) or the Third World
    UNICEF and Oxfam, who are International bodies, are involved so obviously they know there is child poverty in the UK.
    Im not sure what Teachers unions have to do with Child poverty
    The teachers are on the front line, at the chalk face.

Who better to know about child poverty in the UK?

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe View Post
    Do you get really annoyed in the supermarket too when you want stuff that they always put at the back of the shop just to p1ss you off ?

(Eggs are at the back of my local Tescos - b4stards)
    Time to get a few chickens?

Quote Originally Posted by StokeBloke View Post
    We should remove all the railings next to the roads, take down the Danger of Death signs on electricity pylons and the million other 'warnings' that our entire country seems to now be obsessed with.
    In London they are ripping out all the "safety railings" as they now say they are dangerous and cause deaths.

I agree with these findings, because a lot have been removed from my area and it is so much easier and safer to get around.

Firstly should we be taxing children who grow too fat, sorry fast ??

Tax on children who grow too fast as one in four families hit with VAT on larger uniforms | Mail Online

Surely to tackle endemic obesity we should encourage stores to charge more for larger sizes to ‘shame’ people to getting thinner, im talking for all people

Or should we just accept we are all getting larger and make bigger garments more easily available without extra cost ?

Stop this fatist crudesade and embrace all people for who they are Fat thin tall small etc
    A bit of advice to parents.

You know how all the shops start advertising "Back to school" wear as soon as the schools break up for summer?

Well, wait as long as you can before buying new shoes - you'll be amazed how fast your kids feet grow over the summer hols. I think it must have something to do with the sunshine.

Ditto clothes. Trousers you buy in July will be too short in September.

Thread Information