Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: How do we tackle the growing obesity problem ?

Blog Entries

Re: How do we tackle the growing obesity problem ?

Quote Originally Posted by Lory View Post
    A very sad story in the news today!

Britain's fattest teen weighs 33st | The Sun |Woman|Real Life

I can't believe we have to send kids like this to the USA to get treatment
    Lose 20 stone or die - but we're not going to help you! I don't understand why she wasn't allowed a gym membership; I've seen under-16s in my local gym, under supervision, so surely something could have been set up for this girl?
    Quote Originally Posted by Double Trouble View Post
    I totally blame the mother, it's not the daughters fault at all.
    Although I agree that the mother has played a significant role by not controlling her daughter's food intake at home, I wouldn't say it's not the daughter's fault at all; Georgia's old enough now to know what's good for her and what's not, and ultimately she's the one putting the food in her mouth. She admits she ate in secret in her room and gets her friends to buy pastries, chips, etc. for her now she's been banned from the school canteen.
    Quote Originally Posted by JiveBrummie
    The mom with the massive daughter is in the newspaper today. She says that it is 'partially' her fault her daughter is such a beast because she couldn't afford healthy food????
    Quote Originally Posted by Lory View Post
    I don't think the mother is exactly clued up on nutrition
    Definitely not! In the article Lory linked to, the mother says she does feel to blame and admits to comfort eating with her daughter. I suspect the damage started long before the father's death and the comfort eating though:

“As a baby, Georgia wouldn’t keep down normal milk so I gave her condensed milk."

Commercial Operator

James Whale always argued that we should have a licence to raise kids.

We need a licence to be deemed responsible to keep a dog, yet any dumbass with the biology in place can have a child.

OK, I'm not suggesting we do what the Nazis did and start castrating people we don't see as "fit" but it would certainly address one or two issues...

Well, it turns out we have just eliminated the obesity problem (for children anyway).....it's quite easy when you think about it.................

Government bans the word 'obese' to describe overweight children - Times Online

Quote Originally Posted by JiveLad View Post
    Well, it turns out we have just eliminated the obesity problem (for children anyway).....it's quite easy when you think about it.................

Government bans the word 'obese' to describe overweight children - Times Online
    The main problem with the word "obese" is that it has a clinical definition which sometimes differs from what society thinks of as "obese".

I agree with the problem these people face – call a child obese and a parent may get defensive or evasive.

Likewise "exercise" will bring visions of gym classes, and bullying to your average "very overweight" child. The phrase "physically active" is much better in many ways.
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe View Post
    Although I'm really wondering what sort of people you have in mind who think a packet of biscuits makes more sense than buying an apple (and by implication other similarly priced but healthier food )

Eh, I think the answer to that one is fairly obvious
    Isn't this a thread about obesity? I suspect fat people are the kind of people who would think a packet of biscuits makes more sense than buying an apple. I don't really think they got fat eating apples...

Or what about people who just don't like apples? I don't like apples. I'd much rather have biscuits.

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Georgious dancer View Post
    Unfortunately I am not just assuming that people would choose the packet of biscuits over the apple etc. I spent some time at uni working with my lecturer on the estates in Sheffield and this was often the choices people made, especially as the access to big shops, many of which were on out of town industrial estates, is very limited for them!
    But Supermarkets have decent fresh fruit, the smaller shops have a very poor choice. Greengrocers pretty much don't exist anymore, if you live on an estate your choice of fruit is often some bruised apples in a dodgy Spar.

Quote Originally Posted by CJ View Post
    We need a licence to be deemed responsible to keep a dog, yet any dumbass with the biology in place can have a child.
    er...people in glass houses etc...

Quote Originally Posted by Filthy Monkey View Post
    Sorry, StokeBloke, but you can't count 0 minutes, as 5 minutes haven't passed yet, so it would still be 12, not 13.
    Of course he can and he's quite right. Your logic is rubbish, as the first time shes says "i want food" surely it is the start of the hour where shes asks every 5 minutes. Why would you wait for an arbitrary 5 minutes if you didnt know how long the term period was going to be ?

Not at all, "makes more sense" suggests that after weighing up apple vs biscuits - biscuits are chosen through an intellectual process. I don't think thats the case.

Isn't this a thread about obesity? I suspect fat people are the kind of people who would think a packet of biscuits makes more sense than buying an apple. I don't really think they got fat eating apples...

Or what about people who just don't like apples? I don't like apples. I'd much rather have biscuits.
    Even better if they are chocolate biscuits!

But Supermarkets have decent fresh fruit, the smaller shops have a very poor choice. Greengrocers pretty much don't exist anymore, if you live on an estate your choice of fruit is often some bruised apples in a dodgy Spar.
    Exactly supermarkets generally have a decent choice of fresh fruit and vegetables, but with many of these shops being on out of town shopping complexes many low income families have to make do with the very poor choice they find in the smaller shops so that might explain why they choose the biscuits!

Not at all, "makes more sense" suggests that after weighing up apple vs biscuits - biscuits are chosen through an intellectual process. I don't think thats the case.

Why not? Are you assuming that your choice of apple over biscuits is the only intellectual choice? What about Georgeous Dancer's suggestion that people may choose biscuits simply because they feed more people for the same amount of money? That's an intellectual choice too. How about choosing biscuits because you like them, but don't like apples? It's an intellectual choice to choose something you like over something you don't. It may not be the right choice if you're trying to lose weight, but not everybody is...
    As FM says there is always a choice to be made and we won't all make the same choice! In terms of healthy eating of course the apple is the better choice! However, when you are on a low income, with a minimal amount of money to spend and a limited option of where to purchase your food, unfortunately healthy eating often gets pushed to one side.

Right so, getting back on topic.....

Who can explain why children who are siblings, living in the same household can vary in weight?

One fat child, and one skinny child for instance.

There is an official "fat gene" now.

I don't know the dynamics of how it's passed on. Say the mother is fat and the father skinny - can a child escape the mother's fat gene and take after the father?

If both parents have the "fat gene", then is it fair on their future children for them to mate?

Quote Originally Posted by Astro View Post

Who can explain why children who are siblings, living in the same household can vary in weight?

There is an official "fat gene" now.

I don't know the dynamics of how it's passed on. Say the mother is fat and the father skinny - can a child escape the mother's fat gene and take after the father?

If both parents have the "fat gene", then is it fair on their future children for them to mate?
    Yes there is now a 'Fat Gene' however it really does only effect the tiniest percentage of people in the world, yet many people seem to be using it as a good excuse!

There are lots of different things that effect a persons weight. Just because two people live in the same household doesn't mean they will have similar weights. It will depend on what they eat, how much they eat, when they eat it, how they eat it, what excercise they do, when they do it, how often etc.

Yes there is now a 'Fat Gene' however it really does only effect the tiniest percentage of people in the world, yet many people seem to be using it as a good excuse!
    Really?

There are lots of different things that effect a persons weight. Just because two people live in the same household doesn't mean they will have similar weights. It will depend on what they eat, how much they eat, when they eat it, how they eat it, what excercise they do, when they do it, how often etc.
    Yes, I agree.

But say in the case of the mother being blamed for her child's weight.

If the mother is buying the food and serving it to the children and this results in one of her children being obese and the other skinny, then she is hardly to blame is she?

Then if a fat gene exists you would have to label obesity (for them anyway)as a disease

Some people (GIGO’s) can eat bucket loads of crap but never put on weight

Garbage in garbage out rather then most (GIGS) garbage in garbage stay

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

If the mother is buying the food and serving it to the children and this results in one of her children being obese and the other skinny, then she is hardly to blame is she?
    If she notices this and does nothing about it, then yes she is to blame. People are different and even your personality can affect your weight - "highly strung" vs "laid back" for example

Well said, DS. I completely agree

It's also important to consider how often you eat. If, for example, you were to eat at 5 minute intervals for a whole hour, you would have eaten, eh, 11, 12 or 13 times in 60 minutes!!

Well - one obvious possibility is different fathers.....................what is the current rate - about 10%? (of children whose real father is the 'milkman').

Another would be different diets as households fragment and the old sitting-round-the-table-for-dinner mode disappears.

Quote Originally Posted by stewart38 View Post
    Then if a fat gene exists you would have to label obesity (for them anyway)as a disease

Some people (GIGO’s) can eat bucket loads of crap but never put on weight

Garbage in garbage out rather then most (GIGS) garbage in garbage stay
    Using food efficiently is hardly a disease.

For example, for competitors in the Tour de France, it can be big advantage (until they stop competing).

Commercial Operator

Vaguely on topic, and something that appeals to my sense of the ridiculous...

The Americans now have a man on death row, who claims he's too fat to be executed.

Which pretty much takes the biscuit. (All the biscuits, in fact. And the cake. And the chocolates...)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by straycat View Post

The Americans now have a man on death row, who claims he's too fat to be executed.

Which pretty much takes the biscuit. (All the biscuits, in fact. And the cake. And the chocolates...)
    I like the comments people post after these articles:

...If he's too fat then just sizzle him...bacon buttie anyone?
    ...maybe a barbeque might be better?

Maybe that's the answer to both the obesity problem and the increasing food prices?

It's also important to consider how often you eat. If, for example, you were to eat at 5 minute intervals for a whole hour, you would have eaten, eh, 11, 12 or 13 times in 60 minutes!!
    Oh to be a Boa Constictor snake - they can go 6 months between meals.
    Quote Originally Posted by JiveLad View Post
    Well - one obvious possibility is different fathers.....................what is the current rate - about 10%? (of children whose real father is the 'milkman').

Another would be different diets as households fragment and the old sitting-round-the-table-for-dinner mode disappears.
    There is a family in my road. The mother is quite a big woman. The eldest teenage daughter has a really perfect athletic figure, while the younger teenage daugher is really obese. She has to waddle to walk. i don't know them, except to say hello to.

It may be that the sisters have different fathers. But Georgious dancer says the f"at gene" is very rare. The elder one is always in trackie suits, and really sporty. The younger one would be incapable of running at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by straycat View Post

If he's been in prison for years, he won't get much excercise though will he, hence the weight gain.

As FM says there is always a choice to be made and we won't all make the same choice! In terms of healthy eating of course the apple is the better choice! However, when you are on a low income, with a minimal amount of money to spend and a limited option of where to purchase your food, unfortunately healthy eating often gets pushed to one side.
    1 in 3 children in the UK are living in poverty. That's millions of children.
    The free school meal is just junk food.
    Until my boys went to school and got a taste for it , they never ate junk food.

There is a rally in October "End Child Poverty" Keep the promise.

This government promised to eradicate child poverty, but it has got worse. They haven't even held it at bay.

Quote Originally Posted by frodo View Post
    Using food efficiently is hardly a disease.

For example, for competitors in the Tour de France, it can be big advantage (until they stop competing).

Whats that got to do with the price of eggs ?

If there is a 'fat gene' then you could argue that those who suffer from it , suffer from a disease of obesity

Bit like cancer genes and suffering from cancer

Its a open question, I dont know the answer

Blog Entries

1 in 3 children in the UK are living in poverty. That's millions of children.
    Where do you get your figures from?

The free school meal is just junk food.
    Again, where's your source? (no, not the one in the fridge next to the salad cream)
    All the schools my kids have been to have a fairly healthy range of food, with 'junk' such as burgers and chips only once a week and as far as I'm aware, there is no separate pikey option; the kids on FSMs get the same choice as everyone else.

Thread Information