Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: How do we tackle the growing obesity problem ?

Re: How do we tackle the growing obesity problem ?

All these things are good and help to an extent...but generally overweight children have overweight parents who have bad eating habits and it's a bit like a bucket with a hole in it.

We are all guilty too of linking a show of affection or some kind of reward with bad foods....box of chocolates 'cos I love you', a cream cake 'cos I deserve it', a take away 'cos I've worked hard' etc.

Much rather have a new pair of shoes, of the dancing variety of course!

Quote Originally Posted by JiveLad View Post
    And building on that, having spent the last few months in Taiwan (and a couple of years ago being in China) I have noticed some key differences in food and eating habits:

Lots of interesting points...
    Firstly, I would absolutely love to visit these places but have not made it yet, one of the biggest reasons being the food! I would certainly agree with Jive Lad that the different eating habits have a huge impact. A very good friend of mine from Uni is from Thailand and you could always tell when she had been spending time eating our cuisine compared to her own by how much she weighed!

Quote Originally Posted by Lory View Post
    I read somewhere once, that you had to be under a certain weight to go up in a hot air balloon and I don't think it was that much?
    My Dad went in a hot air balloon late last year and he weighed 16.5stone then!

Quote Originally Posted by stewart38 View Post
    If you could see the foods that canteens can serve and still abide be these rules you wouldn't be saying that!

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Jay View Post
    All these things are good and help to an extent...but generally overweight children have overweight parents who have bad eating habits and it's a bit like a bucket with a hole in it.

We are all guilty too of linking a show of affection or some kind of reward with bad foods....box of chocolates 'cos I love you', a cream cake 'cos I deserve it', a take away 'cos I've worked hard' etc.

Much rather have a new pair of shoes, of the dancing variety of course!

Schools can only make so much difference without the support of home and family, eating habits are a diffcult thing to change even in younger children!

Comfort eating is also a big issue, eating is a very psychological thing! If we could just follow our inbuilt instinct I am sure the problem would begin to improve! Unfortunately this instinct seems to have been overidden by advertisments etc!

Quote Originally Posted by Georgious dancer View Post
    Firstly, I would absolutely love to visit these places but have not made it yet, one of the biggest reasons being the food! I would certainly agree with Jive Lad that the different eating habits have a huge impact. A very good friend of mine from Uni is from Thailand and you could always tell when she had been spending time eating our cuisine compared to her own by how much she weighed!
    I don't quite get it.

What Jive Lad was saying was the food is really fresh and natural.

Your friend from Thailand is obviously used to fresh healthy food. It is the western processed foods that is the problem.

If you visit Thailand you can eat "western style" and I did the first couple of visits, but now I am a firm supporter of the local food, normally off the street - which is fresh and VERY cheap (50p for a meal).

I have never had any "bodily problems" from eating the local food.

My friend who lives there has had food poisoning 2 times, and both times from a German restaurant - never from local food.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    I don't quite get it.
    She was agreeing – she'd like to go there because of the food, NOT she hasn't made it yet because of the food.
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    I don't quite get it.

What Jive Lad was saying was the food is really fresh and natural.

Your friend from Thailand is obviously used to fresh healthy food. It is the western processed foods that is the problem.
    Sorry I could have written that better! As Ducasi pointed out I was agreeing with JL! The reason I haven't been is because I don't want to do the trip alone and haven't found a willing friend to come with me! With regards to my friend what I was saying is, when she decided to eat predominantly Western food she would put on weight, therefore it is the western food that is the problem!

Sorry I could have written that better! As Ducasi pointed out I was agreeing with JL! The reason I haven't been is because I don't want to do the trip alone and haven't found a willing friend to come with me! With regards to my friend what I was saying is, when she decided to eat predominantly Western food she would put on weight, therefore it is the western food that is the problem!
    Got it now, sorry, I took it the wrong way... and thanks Ducasi for also putting me straight.

The food "on the street" in Thailand is so much better and fresher than any Thai restaurant I have visited in UK, NZ, USA or Aussie (it is also more tasty).

I visit Asia 6 to 8 times a year, and would be happy to meet up with you GD should you wish to take a break there.

So you now have a potential "willing friend" to show you around should you want.

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

A very sad story in the news today!

Britain's fattest teen weighs 33st | The Sun |Woman|Real Life

I can't believe we have to send kids like this to the USA to get treatment
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

A very sad story in the news today!

Britain's fattest teen weighs 33st | The Sun |Woman|Real Life

I can't believe we have to send kids like this to the USA to get treatment
    They both should be locked up

Where do they get all this food from ?

'The mother' gets to say a few words

Makes me angry to

For starters, how to tackle the obesity problem is not to have the thread right beside the Cakes thread because I would far rather read and cook the posts on that thread than think about how to reduce my obesity

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Double Trouble View Post
    She might hate me now for saying no all the time, but I'm hoping she will appreciate it when she's a beautiful, slim, healthy teenager.

A 15 year old has to rely on mum to feed her so the blame (IMO) lies solely with the mother. She should be taken in to care and the mother should be educated about healthy eating before the daughter returned home.
    Watching the video, it explains that 'the daughter' is the Mum's carer and the dad died when she was 5. I don't think the mother is exactly clued up on nutrition and diets herself.

But even so, even though I've been pretty careful with my kids diets, I'm sure if I'd have let them do the shopping when they were very young, they'd have still come home and produced a table that looked just like hers

Kids NEED guidance from people who know what's best and who care!
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Comfort eating is also a big issue, eating is a very psychological thing! If we could just follow our inbuilt instinct I am sure the problem would begin to improve! Unfortunately this instinct seems to have been overidden by advertisments etc!
    Absolutely, when we comfort eat it is always down to an emotion, whether it is stress, depression, anxiety, anger etc., etc., and in my case it was pure boredom.

In the beginning to help me lose weight I got in to jigsaw puzzles, always filled in those quiet times when I got tempted to snack. It worked so well that sometimes didn't think about food to such an extent that I forgot to put the dinner on!

Bearing that in mind children should get in to good old 'hobbies'.

Hey, it's a hot summer. There are bees everywhere!

The mom with the massive daughter is in the newspaper today. She says that it is 'partially' her fault her daughter is such a beast because she couldn't afford healthy food????

What.....like fruit and veg?

Sorry guys, I have no sympathy for these people. She may not have been able to afford healthy food, but does she not have a mirror in her house either? At what stage did the mom and the daughter think to themselves..."hold on a minute, I appear to be putting on the beef"? Surely for the pair of them it must have been a good 10-stone-ago!

This kind of thing really winds me up as a trainer and I know it shouldn't as I have to show benevolence and help people of all shapes and sizes, but one of my (many) failings, is that I just struggle to comprehend why people don't do the things they claim they know they should do. Physical activity is not difficult. Gym's are not full of fit people, they are full of people who have decided that all the talking in the world will not shift the weight off their hips and thighs. They have come to a point when they are no longer 'talkers', they are 'doers' instead.

If more people walked the walk we could start the long journey of waving Globesity goodbye!

*(J now descends from soap box)

I agree that there is no need for the mother and daughter to have allowed that much weight gain, and that poverty is a poor excuse for the weight gain. Whether you are a millionaire or a family on benefits you should still be able to recognise that you are beginning to put on weight.

I will however point out that eating a healthy diet on a low income, whilst possible, is a little harder than for those of us with a higher income. No fruit and vegetables are not the most expensive food item to buy but for the same 30p that you can buy an apple for you could buy a value packet of biscuits. Yes the apple is full of good nurition and is the healthier option but it will only satisfy one persons hunger whereas the a couple of biscuits will do the same job, leaving more for others or for later in the day. Therefore for someone on a budget you can see why the bicuits would make more sense.

I am not saying that it is impossible to eat healthily on a budget, because you can! However, it requires a little more knowledge and cookery skills and unfortunately not everyone has this.

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Yes the apple is full of good nurition and is the healthier option but it will only satisfy one persons hunger whereas the a couple of biscuits will do the same job, leaving more for others or for later in the day. Therefore for someone on a budget you can see why the bicuits would make more sense.
    I don't think a couple of biscuits would satisfy someone who is 10 stones overweight, surely the amount of crap food bought as cheaply as possible through huge junk food profiting supermarkets that are open 24 hours a day - is a part of the problem ?

Although I'm really wondering what sort of people you have in mind who think a packet of biscuits makes more sense than buying an apple (and by implication other similarly priced but healthier food )

Blog Entries

I will however point out that eating a healthy diet on a low income, whilst possible, is a little harder than for those of us with a higher income.
    The thing is, I don't think in this case, it came down to just 'what' they ate, I bet they snacked all day and ate HUGE quantities at mealtimes too.

So, I doubt in reality their total food bill came to much less than someone eating 'normally' on a healthy diet!

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

aah curly wurlies

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe View Post
    aah curly wurlies
    I think DT enjoy's them: http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/c...tml#post488908

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe View Post
    I don't think a couple of biscuits would satisfy someone who is 10 stones overweight, surely the amount of crap food bought as cheaply as possible through huge junk food profiting supermarkets that are open 24 hours a day - is a part of the problem ?

Although I'm really wondering what sort of people you have in mind who think a packet of biscuits makes more sense than buying an apple (and by implication other similarly priced but healthier food )
    The supermarkets and multinationals have a lot to answer for! That is precisely why I didn't go into the food industry even though I could be earning a hell of a lot more money than I am as a teacher!

Unfortunately I am not just assuming that people would choose the packet of biscuits over the apple etc. I spent some time at uni working with my lecturer on the estates in Sheffield and this was often the choices people made, especially as the access to big shops, many of which were on out of town industrial estates, is very limited for them!

The thing is, I don't think in this case, it came down to just 'what' they ate, I bet they snacked all day and ate HUGE quantities at mealtimes too.

So, I doubt in reality their total food bill came to much less than someone eating 'normally' on a healthy diet!

I wasn't referring to that particular family just to low income households in general. Clearly the case in question is clearly something else with many other factors coming into play.

Commercial Operator

Is obesity a growing problem?

Or is people growing obese a problem?

Or is it that people growing obese is a growing problem...

Do U actually "grow" obese? Or become obese?

And nothing to do with nothing... who was the cruel b@$^@rd that made "lisp" the word for a speach impediment?

Thread Information