Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: How do we tackle the growing obesity problem ?

Re: How do we tackle the growing obesity problem ?

[/QUOTE]
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    Am I? The quote was with reference to larger clothes and more fabric, so you should pay more, or should thin people subsidise larger people?

I would put myself in the "more fabric" catogory. I would like to pay my own way in life... I always have.

So I for one, would be happy to pay a bit more, if it means more fabric needs to be used to generate a garment.
    You said "I would not see this as anything to do with shame, just simple economics." What I meant was, that obese people would probably feel that they were being victimised and that complex feelings regarding their weight (I'm not saying that everybody who is overweight feels shame about it but some do) would make it unlikely that they would take a purely rational view of this, as you did.

Conversely, could thin people get money off their clothes? And cheaper, super-skinny airline seats?

Quote Originally Posted by dave the scaffolder View Post
    All pensioners should be shot at birth, sort a lot of parking problems out that would.

DTS XXX XXX
    You're only jealous 'cause you're not getting your winter fuel allowance yet.

I get mine in December

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Doolan View Post
    You're only jealous 'cause you're not getting your winter fuel allowance yet.

I get mine in December
    Absolute top man you are mate.

DTS XXX XXX

Quote Originally Posted by Georgious dancer View Post
    Having a degree in Food and Nutrition and now being a Food Technology teacher I could go on about this subject for a very long time, but I won't (we'll I'll try not to).

{snip.....good stuff on food}

I avoid processed food as much as I can, infact if the choice is processed or nothing at all, I am often found to go for the nothing at all option. Our bodies were not designed to eat these foods. Scientific studies will show that there has been very little change in the way the human body works, yet many of us are filling our bodies with a fuel that our bodies are clearly not designed to run on! Is it any wonder that people who eat freshly prepared foods with no additives etc have less health problems than those living on junk!

Plus couple the fact that processed food tends to be higher in Calories than freshly prepared food, with the fact the people get a lot less exercise today than in the past then you will have an even bigger gap between the Calories in and the energy out causing people to gain weight at an ever increasing rate!
    And building on that, having spent the last few months in Taiwan (and a couple of years ago being in China) I have noticed some key differences in food and eating habits:

1. The freshness of the food. The food is very fresh - and that is the norm. Forget bits of 3 day old chicken in a plastic wrapper sitting on a nappy - many Chinese people think that is crazy.

2. Variety. You could easily eat 365 different meals a year in China/Taiwan. I sense this variety is important. And variety within the context of a meal - easier of course if you are with a group of people.

3. No desserts. Forget the sticky toffee pudding and the creamy-sugary chocolate desserts. They just don't do them as the norm. Maybe a piece of fruit.

4. More eating out. Many people in Taiwan just don't bother cooking - or even have a kitchen as we would know it. Why? There is such a huge number of places to eat: on the street or in a restaurant - at great value. And it is fresh of course and of the consistently highest quality I have experienced anywhere in the world.

5. Not so much rice. I noticed that I would also ask for a bowl of rice - but sometimes others didn't bother - or just had a very small amount.

6. Soup. The clear soups in Taiwan were great: like delicious stocks - and prepared with love.

7. Vegetables as a main dish. In China I remembered having several times a 'hot pot' of 6 different mushrooms, tofu, green vegetables and other veggie bits. I never managed to finish it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lory View Post

I have a friend, with a very overweight 9yr old.......... Lots of sad stuff..........Some common sense............Sensible parenting tactics.........Daft parenting tactics............sad ending........

I could go on but I think you get the picture!
    Head in hands
    I get the picture. At least you tried, Lory!

Quote Originally Posted by jivecat View Post

You said "I would not see this as anything to do with shame, just simple economics." What I meant was, that obese people would probably feel that they were being victimised and that complex feelings regarding their weight (I'm not saying that everybody who is overweight feels shame about it but some do) would make it unlikely that they would take a purely rational view of this, as you did.
    What I was trying to make clear was that I did not support a policy of pricing specificly aimed at, as Stewart mentioned "to ‘shame’ people to getting thinner"

I would however, see it as perfectly logical to pay more money for clothes that took more money to make.

If people feel "shame" - for any reason, it is up to them to deal with that. There are many many reasons people do feel shame, body size is only one reason.
    It is a personal decision to feel shame, and it is a personal decision to stop feeling shame, either by a change of mind frame or a change of lifestyle which enables a change of mindframe.

Oh, and of course, some skinny people feel "shame" that they are so skinny and not "the typical muscular fit person, sometimes portrayed in the media".

Having trained many people in the gym, I have come across many thin people who feel shame.

Conversely, could thin people get money off their clothes?
    It depends where you put the starting price e.g. $12, but discounted to $10 for skinny people who want a smaller size. = same as $10 for small and $12 for extra large.

And cheaper, super-skinny airline seats?
    I thought economy class seats were already "super-skinny" !

I have often thought that very large people who are clearly taking up more room than thier own seat, to the detrement of the peson next to them, should purchase a seat that is better able to cope with the size they happen to be. I don't claim this to be a politically correct thought, just a practical thought that crosses my mind when I see it happening.

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

I thought economy class seats were already "super-skinny" !

I have often thought that very large people who are clearly taking up more room than thier own seat, to the detrement of the peson next to them, should purchase a seat that is better able to cope with the size they happen to be. I don't claim this to be a politically correct thought, just a practical thought that crosses my mind when I see it happening.
    Say you are sitting next to another adult that is 60kilos heavier than you, perfectly possible if you weigh under 10 stone, true of many people for the same priced seat. They get the same baggage allowance, usually 20 kilos, as you despite already taking that extra weight up - well is the weight important or not ? why not just have an allowance for a number of bags of a certain size?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe View Post
    Say you are sitting next to another adult that is 60kilos heavier than you, perfectly possible if you weigh under 10 stone, true of many people for the same priced seat. They get the same baggage allowance, usually 20 kilos, as you despite already taking that extra weight up - well is the weight important or not ? why not just have an allowance for a number of bags of a certain size?
    Why not make it a combined person/luggage rate?
    That'd help to motivate people to lose weight for their holidays.

It's politically incorrect but I totally agree, especially working in the airline industry and having felt the effects (literally) of a plane full of heavy people - in this case they were a rugby team, about 20 large blokes with over a tonne of bags between them and all the other seats full - standard passenger masses that we use for calculating the plane's performance are 90kg for a man, 72kg for a woman and 11kg for a bag. Obviously real passengers and bags vary a lot but there has been at least one plane crash (a small aircraft in the States) where 'heavy' passengers were implicated as one of the reasons for the crash, faulty maintenance being the other. Our ops manual says that if there's any doubt the passengers should be weighed at the gate and actual weights used, but it's so time-consuming that I've never seen it done - however it is standard procedure for companies operating much smaller planes with about 10 seats, because a single heavy passenger can make so much difference to the mass and the balance of the plane.

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I read somewhere once, that you had to be under a certain weight to go up in a hot air balloon and I don't think it was that much?

Also, some fair rides won't take obese people. Maybe they simply wouldn't be able to fit in the safety harnesses?

and lastly, 'some' clothes catalogues, 'do' have price bands already... I believe that size 18 and above pay more and then that increases again for even bigger sizes.

I don't really see any of the above as discriminatory, it just seems like simple logic to me
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Exercise isn't alway the key!

YouTube - Aerobic
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

"How do we tackle the growing obesity problem ?"

Stop feeding it?
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

Quote Originally Posted by CheesyRobMan View Post
    - however it is standard procedure for companies operating much smaller planes with about 10 seats, because a single heavy passenger can make so much difference to the mass and the balance of the plane.
    Weight distribution is of course important on smaller aircraft and I've been moved before

I dont think charging bigger people on larger planes is practical but it does make the baggage limit seem silly if your carry a lot of extra baggage with you anyway. Luckly I left most of my baggage in the past where it belongs

A serious question when your on the train do you always get the fat smelly guy sitting next to you ? Or is it just me

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by stewart38 View Post
    A serious question when your on the train do you always get the fat smelly guy sitting next to you ? Or is it just me
    Maybe it's just the guy next to you

Maybe it's just the guy next to you
    Are you saying I shouldn't carry a mirror anymore

When someone asks me , is this seat taken ? I look down and say 23% of it is

Cant help being fat

Cool Re: How do we tackle the growing obesity problem ?

Quote Originally Posted by Paul F View Post
    My argument was to do with my being disadvantaged just because I dont take children to the supermarket. That in itself is a little unfair regardless of how many yards further I have to walk.
    If this bothers you, I feel sure that there are plenty of parents who would loan you their kids to take shopping so you can use these 'preferential' bays.

The only problem being that some berk is likely to have parked their pimped up Saxo in the parent's bay and you'll have to trek to the shop with the kids anyway

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Paul F View Post
    My argument was to do with my being disadvantaged just because I dont take children to the supermarket. That in itself is a little unfair regardless of how many yards further I have to walk.
    My word you're a pessimist. Glass is "very nearly goddamn empty" is it ? Perhaps if you look at it as an advantage to people who need it and no disadvantage whatsoever to everyone else, you won't be so negative

Do you get really annoyed in the supermarket too when you want stuff that they always put at the back of the shop just to p1ss you off ?

(Eggs are at the back of my local Tescos - b4stards)

My word you're a pessimist. Glass is "very nearly goddamn empty" is it ? Perhaps if you look at it as an advantage to people who need it and no disadvantage whatsoever to everyone else, you won't be so negative

Unless your 70 with a replacement knee and hip and dont qualify for a disable badge

I know. Truth is I am usually the eternal optimist.

Putting on my optimism hat I suppose I could reason that sectioning off the cars carrying children reduces the chances of my car getting scratched or dented by stressed out parents with pushchairs

Ah! I never thought of it that way

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe
    Do you get really annoyed in the supermarket too when you want stuff that they always put at the back of the shop just to p1ss you off ?
    Not really. At least that's the same for everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by Double Trouble View Post
    From September schools will be introducing 'School Fat Reports".

Children's weights and measurements will be taken and the results sent to parents to try and tackle obesity.

Apparently over 30% of 11 and 12 year olds are over weight, but I'm not sure what sending results home to parents will do. Also parents can opt out of the scheme if they want. You just know the ignorant parents who stuff their kids full of McDonalds and let them sit in front or an X Box 24/7 will be likely to opt out.

Schools around our way have made drastic changes to the dinner menu and I'm pleased to say that when my 11 year old goes to secondary school in September, he will not be allowed to leave school premises during lunch time, for 2 reasons

1. The school want the children to have a healthy school lunch or a packed lunch they can monitor.

2. They don't want kids hanging around chip shops throwing litter and being abusive to the public.

Things are changing for the better.
    Going back to the thread and leaving the car parking issue alone, i thought the attached was/is interesting

http://www.nutrition.org.uk/upload/S...%2019May06.pdf

Something is being done

Thread Information