Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: How do we tackle the growing obesity problem ?

The Forum Legend

Re: How do we tackle the growing obesity problem ?

Whoops signed in as wrong person again. GD

Having a degree in Food and Nutrition and now being a Food Technology teacher I could go on about this subject for a very long time, but I won't (we'll I'll try not to).

In some ways I agree with Stokie in that it is only a problem because that is the way we allow ourselves to view the situation. However having worked with obese people in a professional capacity, I cannot stop myself seeing it as a problem! Whilst we can say it's there choice and if they are happy then why should we stop them, the truth is that many obese people are not happy but just do a good job of hiding this fact.

The trouble it is is so much harder to loose the weight than gain it and that is why in an ideal world prevention is better than cure!

There have been a hundred and one different suggestions for the cause, cure, prevention of obesity, some of them more convincing than others, but the problem still persists.

For me the two biggest changes in lifestyle in the last decade or so have been the amount of excercise people get (and I don't just mean going to the gym, dancing etc, but how much people move their body within their daily routines) and the growing number of processed foods people are eating.

I avoid processed food as much as I can, infact if the choice is processed or nothing at all, I am often found to go for the nothing at all option. Our bodies were not designed to eat these foods. Scientific studies will show that there has been very little change in the way the human body works, yet many of us are filling our bodies with a fuel that our bodies are clearly not designed to run on! Is it any wonder that people who eat freshly prepared foods with no additives etc have less health problems than those living on junk!

Plus couple the fact that processed food tends to be higher in Calories than freshly prepared food, with the fact the people get a lot less exercise today than in the past then you will have an even bigger gap between the Calories in and the energy out causing people to gain weight at an ever increasing rate!
    Last edited by Georgious dancer; 29th-July-2008 at 01:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Georgious dancer View Post
    and the growing number of processed foods people are eating.

I avoid processed food as much as I can,

If you asked a 100 people in the high street what is processed food and give me 5 examples I bet only 10 would be able to

I think the new labeling is now good i.e. lemon cheesecake 1/6th of it is 55% of your daily saturated fat

But who sets the daily sat fat. Surely the amount for a 7 yr old boy or 35 stone man would be different??

I now here weight watcher meals are now no good for you (too much salt etc)

Pasta (some types) no good, I hear

Drinking too much water now can kill you

At least you know what your getting with a extra large Dona kebab or vindaloo (2 hrs on the toilet )

I guess it’s about education and adding some spice to celery. Fact most healthy food is dull

Quote Originally Posted by stewart38 View Post
    Fact most healthy food is dull
    Then you're eating the wrong healthy food.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul F View Post
    Why should someone get preferential treatment just because they have chosen to have children??
    1. As with disabled spaces, there is usually more room either side, so it's easier to get car seats, buggies, etc out of the car, as you would with a wheelchair for a disabled person.

2. Children are prone to being oblivious to cars and run about...supermarkets don't particularly like childrens brains all over the place so from a safety point of view it's better to have children near the store, and before anyone says "parents should control their kids", we only have two hands...any more than 2 children is a safety hazzard in a car park.

If you asked a 100 people in the high street what is processed food and give me 5 examples I bet only 10 would be able to

I think the new labeling is now good i.e. lemon cheesecake 1/6th of it is 55% of your daily saturated fat

But who sets the daily sat fat. Surely the amount for a 7 yr old boy or 35 stone man would be different??

I now here weight watcher meals are now no good for you (too much salt etc)

Pasta (some types) no good, I hear

Drinking too much water now can kill you

At least you know what your getting with a extra large Dona kebab or vindaloo (2 hrs on the toilet )

I guess it’s about education and adding some spice to celery. Fact most healthy food is dull
    In many ways I think everybody has gone into information overload when it comes to healthy eating, as I said earlier there are so many different points of view it is difficult to know which one to follow!

As for most healthy food being dull, that's crap! I'm a complete foodie, I love cooking and eating, but I also care about my body and health and try my best to avoid unhealthy foods, yet I am never bored by what I eat! Perhaps I will PM you some recipes!

Quote Originally Posted by Georgious dancer View Post
    In many ways I think everybody has gone into information overload when it comes to healthy eating, as I said earlier there are so many different points of view it is difficult to know which one to follow!

As for most healthy food being dull, that's crap! I'm a complete foodie, I love cooking and eating, but I also care about my body and health and try my best to avoid unhealthy foods, yet I am never bored by what I eat! Perhaps I will PM you some recipes!
    I am the complete opposite to this, I dont care what I eat.

I will quite often make a large pot of stew and eat nothing but that stew until it is all gone, throwing vitamins down my neck to make up for any nutrition missed.

Usually by the end of the week I have to add more and more curry or Tobasco etc sauce to smother the smell of gone off stew.

I kid you not.

DTS XXX XXX

Quote Originally Posted by Double Trouble View Post
    2. Children are prone to being oblivious to cars and run about...supermarkets don't particularly like childrens brains all over the place so from a safety point of view it's better to have children near the store, and before anyone says "parents should control their kids", we only have two hands...any more than 2 children is a safety hazzard in a car park.
    When i was kid of course they didnt have all this type of stuff

I didnt see loads of kids brains spread over the floor but hey ho

Disable yes ,special bays if you park there , wheel clamp

However keep the number realistic (note to Bicester Village centre)

It would be more appropriate for people with weight issues to get priority parking

A 7yr old can get out of a car far easier then me

I would argue any number of kids are a safty hazard in a supermarket as they play hide and seak. Maybe ban kids before midnight ??

Quote Originally Posted by CheesyRobMan View Post
    Then you're eating the wrong healthy food.
    You can make healthy foods better by adding sauces etc I agree . Bean Sprouts on its own with carrots doesnt do it for me

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dave the scaffolder View Post
    I am the complete opposite to this, I dont care what I eat.

I will quite often make a large pot of stew and eat nothing but that stew until it is all gone, throwing vitamins down my neck to make up for any nutrition missed.

Usually by the end of the week I have to add more and more curry or Tobasco etc sauce to smother the smell of gone off stew.

I kid you not.

DTS XXX XXX
    I can confirm that he is actually telling the truth. I remember once being offered one of his famous stews but caught him scraping the mould off. Needless to say, i had toast.

Quote Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
    I can confirm that he is actually telling the truth. I remember once being offered one of his famous stews but caught him scraping the mould off. Needless to say, i had toast.
    Mind you it does have it;s advantages, I have never been constipated in my life and poo like a frightened greyhound. I seem to be immune to most gastro infections. If I happen to pass wind I can clear a venue in seconds flat.

DTS XXX XXX

A 7yr old can get out of a car far easier then me
    Irrelevant to my post. I'm talking about babies who can't walk, who are effectively small disabled people. Obviously they are easier to handle than adult disabled people, but its the same principle. You still need room to manuvure buggies, etc.

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TheTramp View Post
    Whoops signed in as wrong person again. GD
    You really don't need to tell us this y'know

Quote Originally Posted by Double Trouble View Post
    ....and before anyone says "parents should control their kids", we only have two hands...any more than 2 children is a safety hazzard in a car park.
    Then surely parents should not be taking more than 2 children to a potentially hazardous environment that puts them at risk?

Blog Entries

Then surely parents should not be taking more than 2 children to a potentially hazardous environment that puts them at risk?
    Absolutely!
    Bloody people with more than 2 kids should stay indoors at all times or learn to not eat so they don't have to go to supermarkets.

Quote Originally Posted by Gav View Post
    Absolutely!
    Bloody people with more than 2 kids should stay indoors at all times or learn to not eat so they don't have to go to supermarkets.
    I dont know if I would go that far

I kind of know what the counter arguments would be for this. All I am getting it is that it is very difficult to do anything right. Facilitating a parents' need for space, convenience etc. can be done but only by putting other people at a disadvantage.

My argument was to do with my being disadvantaged just because I dont take children to the supermarket. That in itself is a little unfair regardless of how many yards further I have to walk.

I was waiting for the "wait until you have kids" thing and, yes, I suppose my mind will change when and if that happens

I dont know if I would go that far

I kind of know what the counter arguments would be for this. All I am getting it is that it is very difficult to do anything right. Facilitating a parents' need for space, convenience etc. can be done but only by putting other people at a disadvantage.

My argument was to do with my being disadvantaged just because I dont take children to the supermarket. That in itself is a little unfair regardless of how many yards further I have to walk.

I was waiting for the "wait until you have kids" thing and, yes, I suppose my mind will change when and if that happens

When i take my niece and nephews to Tesco of course there should be parking bays close to the store for us

People being treated differently reminds me of Nazi Germany early 1930s

Why not have obesity bays , get a red BMI liable (if 50% over your ideal BMI) for your windscreen

Get the kids to walk

ps Im waiting for the "wait till you find out that kid was yours' argument

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gav View Post
    Absolutely!
    At least with people who have kids, its a relatively short phase they go through but its those old people that really take the biscuit, once they start using those 'invalidity' bays, they continue to use them for ever more!
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Quote Originally Posted by Lory View Post
    At least with people who have kids, its a relatively short phase they go through but its those old people that really take the biscuit, once they start using those 'invalidity' bays, they continue to use them for ever more!

All pensioners should be shot at birth, sort a lot of parking problems out that would.

DTS XXX XXX

Quote Originally Posted by Lory View Post
    Serious point who disserves a bay more 74 year old women with replacement hip and knee (doesn’t qualify for disable badge) or 25yr old mother with 8 and 7 yr old kids??

Off thread I know

Blog Entries

Similarly, why should I have to walk further just because some spakker can't walk an extra 100 yards?

I think it's purely a matter of organisations:
    1. complying with the law (if there is such a thing, or at least avoiding getting slammed by the press),
    2. and pandering to the people that spend the most money with them (that is families).

Thread Information