Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: How do we tackle the growing obesity problem ?

Re: How do we tackle the growing obesity problem ?

Quote Originally Posted by Lory View Post
    Sorry, I can't help myself, I'm going to go on

The kid doesn't have any friends, so her mum's just brought her a dog 'instead' but I thought, well, at least its 'something positive.

But guess what, she brought her one that doesn't need a walk, cos she doesn't like walking! :bangs head against the wall smiley:
    But is this new ??

When I was about 12 my brother and I went around a mates house cira 5pm during school week and we were given a load of sandwiches

As we were going to eat ‘tea’ at 7pm we were surprised. They boys comment was you must be ‘starving’ to wait till 7pm unless you eat all these sandwiches which was common for him to get when he got in

Yes he was by today’s standards obese

Whats caused the so called epidemic, there were McDonalds and chips ‘in my day’ or is it just media hype?

Quote Originally Posted by stewart38 View Post
    When I was about 12 my brother and I went around a mates house cira 5pm during school week and we were given a load of sandwiches

As we were going to eat ‘tea’ at 7pm we were surprised. They boys comment was you must be ‘starving’ to wait till 7pm unless you eat all these sandwiches which was common for him to get when he got in
    My best mate at school also got a sandwich when she got home from school, then dinner later on (she was a fat, only, spoilt child similar to the one Lory has mentioned). She never went outside to play and the only exercise she got was playing pool in the spare bedroom.

Sad really. I think the fatter she got, the less she wanted to go out and play as the other kids took the plss relentlessly. As a defence mechanism she tended to think she was better than everyone else and used that as a reason for not coming out to play. The last I heard she lived on a barge with a dog for company no kids and single.

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Double Trouble View Post
    As a defence mechanism she tended to think she was better than everyone else and used that as a reason for not coming out to play.
    Wow, what you've written above is spot on for my friends daughter too.

But I think its come about from her parents trying to protect her! They constantly tell her, that the other kids aren't worth bothering with, if 'they' can't be nice!

I doesn't quite work that way though, does it!
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

My best mate at school also got a sandwich when she got home from school, then dinner later on (she was a fat, only, spoilt child similar to the one Lory has mentioned). She never went outside to play and the only exercise she got was playing pool in the spare bedroom.

Sad really. I think the fatter she got, the less she wanted to go out and play as the other kids took the plss relentlessly. As a defence mechanism she tended to think she was better than everyone else and used that as a reason for not coming out to play. The last I heard she lived on a barge with a dog for company no kids and single.
    So whats actually changed in the 50yrs since then ?

Cheaper more available junk food ?

I don’t buy the selling of sports pitches

Fast majority of people in my day did reluctantly about 2hrs of sport a week

I did walk to school and back however (from about aged 11 about 1.5 miles each way) , less of that now I guess

I had pocket money and bought sweets so whats caused the growth in obesity ?

Cool Re: How do we tackle the growing obesity problem ?

Quote Originally Posted by Lory View Post
    But guess what, she brought her one that doesn't need a walk, cos she doesn't like walking! :bangs head against the wall smiley:
    I can picture the scene now:

Mum: Hey, where's little Poochie?
    Fat Kid: I ate it.
    Mum: Why on earth did you do that?!
    Fat Kid: I was hungry.... Mum, can I have a big dog next time?
    Mum: Of course darling, so you can take it for walks?
    Fat Kid: No; that little one didn't fill me up enough.
    Mum: Well why don't I deep fry you a couple of boxes of turkey twizzlers, you can have this lard sandwich whilst your waiting for the chip oil to heat up.
    Fat Kid: Mummy does everyone sweat Mazola?

Quote Originally Posted by StokeBloke View Post
    I can picture the scene now:

Mum: Hey, where's little Poochie?
    Fat Kid: I ate it.
    Mum: Why on earth did you do that?!
    Fat Kid: I was hungry.... Mum, can I have a big dog next time?
    Mum: Of course darling, so you can take it for walks?
    Fat Kid: No; that little one didn't fill me up enough.
    Mum: Well why don't I deep fry you a couple of boxes of turkey twizzlers, you can have this lard sandwich whilst your waiting for the chip oil to heat up.
    Fat Kid: Mummy does everyone sweat Mazola?
    Mum : No
    Fat Kid: I must be lucky I guess , it taste delicious

The other Saturday on the way to a dance at Bedford I became all twitchy and feinty like. I pulled over and realised that I had not eaten a bit of food for 2 days, so I pulled into Tesco and had a couple of sandwiches and bought some salted peanuts for the nights dancing.

Some kids today could not go 2 hours without food.

When I was a child dinner was served and my options were eat it or go hungry end of options.

Now I can eat anything and I mean anything I am not allergic to anything and manage an active lifestyle on good bacic cheap food.

the secret is activity get up burn calories and enjoy life.

In World War 1 there was no documented cases of peanut allergy, now every other kid has some allergy or another.

DTS XXX XXX

Cool Re: How do we tackle the growing obesity problem ?

Quote Originally Posted by dave the scaffolder View Post
    In World War 1 there was no documented cases of peanut allergy, now every other kid has some allergy or another.

DTS XXX XXX
    There were also no cases of epilepsy triggered by video games in 1914 either. Kids these days put most of it on I'm sure. There was a time when a child was useful. You could make them clean chimneys, weaving looms or set them to work picking pockets. You try doing that these days, they'll not thank you, the lazy fat good for nothing sponging work-shy loafers
    Last edited by StokeBloke; 28th-July-2008 at 09:05 PM. Reason: Removed surplus youth-based vitriol

Point is kids today are just spoilt they are not outdoors doing healthy activities anymore, they spend their lives in front of a pc or an ex box or some other sedentary piece of technology.

When I lived with a girl a good few years ago the daughter had 2x horses, i was in the kitchen one day and Charlotte, the daughter, came in covered in horse poo, I mean head to toe, she reached into my bowl of ice cream and grabbed a big handfull, hands covered in poo, and licked it all from her fingers.

I gave her the rest of the bowl and she finished it with glee. She is never ill, healthy as a horse and is very active. She has a great immunity sytem and is covered in germs all day long yet remains healthy. She is never in front of a PC. This is why everyone has an allegy, no contact with germs hence no immunity built up to them.

Double glazing, central heating and wall to wall carpeting does not help either. Kids with cats and dogs just seem healthier to me.

DTS XXX XXX

As a fit able body man when I go to Tesco’s at present I have to park 2.3 miles from the entrance (nearest parking space without a sign that forbids me) now will be 3.4 miles
    There are no parking fines in place at Tesco's. There isn't even a bloke with a limp putting notes under your windscreen wiper advising you not to park in the disabled/parent and child bay, so you could just do what almost everyone else does and park there anyway.

It's rare to see a bonafide disabled person or parent with children actually get the opportunity to park in the places they are supposed to have....you can't get near them for fat lazy people, ignorant teenagers that park horizontally across two spaces and police men parking up to buy their lunch.

Quote Originally Posted by dave the scaffolder View Post
    Point is kids today are just spoilt they are not outdoors doing healthy activities anymore, they spend their lives in front of a pc or an ex box or some other sedentary piece of technology.
    Exactly. Although diet is of course an issue, I personally think the general lack of exercise is a bigger issue. I'm a primary school teacher as you know, and when I ask the kids in my class what they've been doing over the weekend, at least half the kids go into minute details of what they did on their latest cert. 18 computer game. The culture seems to have changed, and it's less common for kids to be active than it was when I was a child in the 70s. It's all the more sad where I live and work, because we're surrounded by wonderful countryside and wide-open spaces, yet the children are blind to its possibilities and always seem to be either bored or stuck indoors.

It's rare to see a bonafide disabled person or parent with children actually get the opportunity to park in the places they are supposed to have
    This really makes my blood boil. My wife uses a wheelchair and we often have to park well away from the entrance to Tesco and other supermarkets because a load of able-bodied, selfish ba$tards have taken all the disabled spaces because they can't be bothered to walk another 20 yards.

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quite honestly I think there should be a series of adverts showing a disabled person having to park far away and struggle in to the shops. Most people who do park there are completely indifferent and can't comprehend that they are causing great difficulty others - they need to be shown. My wife berated a young "20ish" woman for parking in the Parent and Child bay, all she got as a response was shrugged shoulders

Quote Originally Posted by Baruch View Post
    I ask the kids in my class what they've been doing over the weekend, at least half the kids go into minute details of what they did on their latest cert. 18 computer game. The culture seems to have changed, and it's less common for kids to be active than it was when I was a child in the 70s.

Could you encourage the other half to stay in and play computer games. That way our streets would be safe from ferral youth

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe View Post
    My wife berated a young "20ish" woman for parking in the Parent and Child bay, all she got as a response was shrugged shoulders

I think its ironic,we are trying to encourage youngters to get fit but it seem we are also actively encouraging them via their parents to park as near to the super market entrance as possible

I would suggest the fit 20yr old doesnt need the exercise

The kids walk 900yrds to the car and carry their parents weekly shopping ie having kids/parents parking at the far end of the car park
    Last edited by stewart38; 29th-July-2008 at 09:37 AM.

Could you encourage the other half to stay in and play computer games. That way our streets would be safe from ferral youth
    Ah, but when they play computer games all the time they're not getting out and experiencing what the great outdoors can offer them, which means that when they get bored of their games console they're more likely to just hang around doing nothing, which leads to boredom, which leads to delinquency. Especially if they've had little or no parental disipline.

Ah, but when they play computer games all the time they're not getting out and experiencing what the great outdoors can offer them, which means that when they get bored of their games console they're more likely to just hang around doing nothing, which leads to boredom, which leads to delinquency. Especially if they've had little or no parental disipline.
    Well can you take them on a hiking trip for 12 years in the Highlands of scotland

You can start with 6/7 who hang around our local Tesco

This really makes my blood boil. My wife uses a wheelchair and we often have to park well away from the entrance to Tesco and other supermarkets because a load of able-bodied, selfish ba$tards have taken all the disabled spaces because they can't be bothered to walk another 20 yards.
    If your wife has a wheelchair, then parking a fair distance away should not be a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    If your wife has a wheelchair, then parking a fair distance away should not be a problem.
    It can be, for two reasons. Firstly, the disabled spaces generally have spaces in between them which are large enough for a wheelchair to negotiate, whereas normal spaces don't. Secondly, she doesn't always need to use the wheelchair but still has difficulty walking, which is when the lack of free disabled spaces becomes a big issue.

It can be, for two reasons. Firstly, the disabled spaces generally have spaces in between them which are large enough for a wheelchair to negotiate, whereas normal spaces don't. Secondly, she doesn't always need to use the wheelchair but still has difficulty walking, which is when the lack of free disabled spaces becomes a big issue.
    Fair point. sorry mate, I was being flippant, and did not full consider all the practicalities.

Quote Originally Posted by jivecat View Post
    ... If I had my way I'd get Dr Gillian McKeith in to run dietary bootcamps in every school in the country, Jamie Oliver's far too nice!
    I wouldn't trust her to feed my cat.

Gillian McKeith - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

What's wrong with Gillian McKeith by Ben Goldacre | Media | The Guardian
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

I would never dream of parking in a disabled parking bay (even at 1am when going to Tesco) but I do not agree with the parent&child bay.

Why should someone get preferential treatment just because they have chosen to have children??
    If I chose to eat 20 pork pies a day would I be able to claim a right to 'Overweight People' bays with plenty of surrounding space, closer to the doors and so on?

Thread Information