Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: How do we tackle the growing obesity problem ?

How do we tackle the growing obesity problem ?

Firstly should we be taxing children who grow too fat, sorry fast ??

Tax on children who grow too fast as one in four families hit with VAT on larger uniforms | Mail Online

Surely to tackle endemic obesity we should encourage stores to charge more for larger sizes to ‘shame’ people to getting thinner, im talking for all people

Or should we just accept we are all getting larger and make bigger garments more easily available without extra cost ?

Stop this fatist crudesade and embrace all people for who they are Fat thin tall small etc

Re: How do we tackle the growing obesity problem ?

From September schools will be introducing 'School Fat Reports".

Children's weights and measurements will be taken and the results sent to parents to try and tackle obesity.

Apparently over 30% of 11 and 12 year olds are over weight, but I'm not sure what sending results home to parents will do. Also parents can opt out of the scheme if they want. You just know the ignorant parents who stuff their kids full of McDonalds and let them sit in front or an X Box 24/7 will be likely to opt out.

Schools around our way have made drastic changes to the dinner menu and I'm pleased to say that when my 11 year old goes to secondary school in September, he will not be allowed to leave school premises during lunch time, for 2 reasons

1. The school want the children to have a healthy school lunch or a packed lunch they can monitor.

2. They don't want kids hanging around chip shops throwing litter and being abusive to the public.

Things are changing for the better.

Must disagree with you on this one Stewart a fat kid is a burden on society, they will develop bad knee;s and other associated illnesses which will have to be paid for by the government.

DTS XXX XXX
    Last edited by Lory; 28th-July-2008 at 02:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dave the scaffolder View Post
    Must disagree with you on this one Stewart a fat kid is a burden on society, they will develop bad knee;s and other associated illnesses which will have to be paid for by the government.
    Is obesity a disease or matter of self will ?

Press Release | Obesity Is Not A Disease

Maybe obesity is not a personal weakness. Perhaps it's a disease - US News and World Report

Classifying obesity as a disease

Obesity IMHO is one of the side effects of the Americanisation of British society.

DTS XXX XXX

Cool Re: How do we tackle the growing obesity problem ?

The best way to tackle this problem is to stop seeing it as a problem. Maybe we should stop focusing on telling people that they're living their lives 'wrong' and just let people get on with living. Granted it sells Daily Mails, however we do have paedophiles and immigrants who already do that job admirably.

We should remove all the railings next to the roads, take down the Danger of Death signs on electricity pylons and the million other 'warnings' that our entire country seems to now be obsessed with. Give it a few years and the gene pool will get a good old clean out. The problem isn't that we are NOT protecting idiots well enough - the problem is that we are protecting these idiots at all. This allows them to breed with each other and create more idiots that need more protecting.

This country has become infested with busy bodies. People are not as stupid as we think. It's a fairly easy equation:

(junk + crap) into pie hole = bloater
    bloater - exercise = coronary heart disease
    coronary heart disease + more pies = one less moron

It's not like it's big secret. If people want to lard their hearts to death... let them. But let them do it in peace.

Here here Stokie.

DTS XXX XXX

Obesity IMHO is one of the side effects of the Americanisation of British society.

DTS XXX XXX
    I think my grandma eat dripping and lard during the war but it didn’t effect her waste line as I guess it was rationed and the extra stress re bombs dropping would have helped

Not sure if we go back to rationing and bomb dropping?

Its funny no one ever comes up with ‘solutions’

There was another radio programme re problems re drink, someone ‘suggested’ you only get licences to sell alcohol; he was just seen as being stupid. So they went back to the education type stuff

His idea was a off licence only sells alcohol no crisps no soft drinks, pubs the same alcohol only no soft drink no food no live bands etc etc etc. For night clubs no alcohol as there not just selling alcohol their offering entertainment
    You could have a pub with soft drinks with food bands etc

Interesting idea

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Nonsense We are a rich nation and can freely buy some absolutely awful things to eat. There are entire aisles of a supermarkets with nothing but sweets. Is that a required foodstuff ?

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by stewart38 View Post
    I think my grandma eat dripping and lard during the war but it didn’t effect her waste line as I guess it was rationed and the extra stress re bombs dropping would have helped
    I bet she walked everywhere and didn't eat processed convenient food either
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe View Post
    Nonsense We are a rich nation and can freely buy some absolutely awful things to eat. There are entire aisles of a supermarkets with nothing but sweets. Is that a required foodstuff ?
    We are turning into a nation of fatties, you can see young kids nowadays very overweight who will never know what it is like to be young slim and gorgeous.

As you get older it is natural to put on weight but at a young age you should be slim fit and active.

This is of course only my humble opinion feel free to disagree and debate the point .

DTS XXX XXX

Quote Originally Posted by StokeBloke View Post

It's not like it's big secret. If people want to lard their hearts to death... let them. But let them do it in peace.
    Fair enough, but we're not talking adults with responsibility for their own decisions here, we're talking about protecting children from the idiotic dietary choices foisted on them by their numpty parents. Of course your "weeding of the gene pool" argument might still apply.

I've read that people's food preferences are pretty fixed by the time they've reached 7 years old so encouraging children to form a taste for healthy choices by that age is very important. The main way to do this is by implementing healthy eating programs through schools, which has already been addressed by the highly successful Free Fruit for Kids scheme which has been running for years. When it was first introduced it was quite clear that some young children had never even seen a piece of fruit at home let alone eaten one and were very reluctant to try it. That changed fast once they had the opportunity.

In my experience, middle-class kids are far less likely to be obese than working class kids. I can't see any problem with using existing school meals provision to ensure that these kids get their entitlement to suitable nutrition resulting (we are told) in a much longer lifespan with fewer severe health problems. Is it OK to let a whole generation of working-class kids risk dying young of conditions preventable by good nutrition?

Quote Originally Posted by Stewart38
    Its funny no one ever comes up with ‘solutions’
    There are plenty of solutions. Like the ones already mentioned in this thread! Or like in Italy where it is a statutory requirement to serve a wholesome, freshly cooked meal made from raw ingredients everyday.http://http://www.mirabilis.ca/archives/002939.html

It's just that whenever some enlightened school attempts to enforce sensible eating on their blobby charges someone always complains about the rights of the lardy little darlings to eat themselves into an early grave. If I had my way I'd get Dr Gillian McKeith in to run dietary bootcamps in every school in the country, Jamie Oliver's far too nice!

Just on the subject of clothes.

I do think it would be logical to remove all VAT from school uniforms regardless of the size of the uniform.

It also seems logical for the shops to charge more for larger sizes, as it involves more raw material to make.

I do not see this as anti fat people or anti thin people, just simple logic.

For example $10 for a small size, $11 for a large size and $12 for XXL and above.

I would not see this as anything to do with shame, just simple economics.

Quote Originally Posted by StokeBloke View Post
    The best way to tackle ...{brlliant post}...

Absolutely love that.

Can't rep you again it seems

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jivecat View Post
    Fair enough, but we're not talking adults with responsibility for their own decisions here, we're talking about protecting children from the idiotic dietary choices foisted on them by their numpty parents.
    If I had my way I'd get Dr Gillian McKeith in to run dietary bootcamps in every school in the country, Jamie Oliver's far too nice!

I have a friend, with a very overweight 9yr old. Now anyone who knows me personally, will tell you I love kids, all kids, not just my own but to say I can't stand this kid, would be an understatement... but at the same time, I feel sorry for her!

Her parents have recently split up after a long and lengthy 'bad' marriage, where they all lived together but hardly communicated and the kid has been used as a pawn.
    She's clever and plays both parents against one another. If one parent wont give her something, she immediately goes to the other one, who will give it willingly and food has been one of the major factors.

Now 'SHE'S' decided that she doesn't want to do sports at school anymore, cos all the kids laugh at her, so her parents are unbelievably in talks with the school over this.

She came to my house at Xmas time and we all sat together having dinner but she refused to have any vegetables, apart from the potatoes. In fact her words were... "I don't DO vegetables" she's 9 for god's sake! GRRR

So I said, as I would to my kids, (who BTW backed me up every step of the way) if you don't at least try some, you can't have any pudding. So, she threw a major wobbly.

Then I said, can you go in the other room and cry, cos we're trying to have a conversation here and we can't hear with you making all that racket! Come back when you've finished

So she went in the other room and her mum followed and then I heard her mum promise her that she'd give her some sweets and some crisps later, if she could just hold it together until we'd finished eating!

I could go on but I think you get the picture!
    Last edited by Lory; 28th-July-2008 at 03:36 PM.
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe View Post

I hear Tesco are going to widen the entrances and offering wheel chair assistance to those with waistlines over 46 inches

Their promoting the buy one get one free packs of 24 crisps for £2.09 each and buy 4lbs of chocolate get 12lbs of double whip ice cream for free

There putting fruit and veg in the far side of the store as well

There also going to introduce obesity parking bays next to 500 empty disable bays and the 12,000 parent and child bays

Mums Take Disabled Parking Bays (from Abingdon Herald)

Abuse of Tesco's Parent and Child Parking Scheme Petition

Abuse of Tesco's Parent and Child Parking Scheme by obese people who demand their own parking bays

As a fit able body man when I go to Tesco’s at present I have to park 2.3 miles from the entrance (nearest parking space without a sign that forbids me) now will be 3.4 miles

Quote Originally Posted by Lory View Post
    I bet she walked everywhere and didn't eat processed convenient food either
    I think she got most of her exercise of some American GI’s

As you get older it is natural to put on weight but at a young age you should be slim fit and active.

DTS XXX XXX
    It's only natural insofar as it's natural to spend half a lifetime eating crappy foods and taking no exercise. If you live, for example, in East Africa, I don't think it's natural to be 4 stone heavier at 50 than you were at 18.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin
    I do not see this as anti fat people or anti thin people, just simple logic.

I would not see this as anything to do with shame, just simple economics.
    I think you'll be on your own with that one, Martin!

It's only natural insofar as it's natural to spend half a lifetime eating crappy foods and taking no exercise. If you live, for example, in East Africa, I don't think it's natural to be 4 stone heavier at 50 than you were at 18.
    A very good point

Middle age spread isn’t genetic but rather a change in life style

Ie you don’t mind if one of the options gets you home by 9pm

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lory View Post
    I could go on but I think you get the picture!
    Sorry, I can't help myself, I'm going to go on

The kid doesn't have any friends, so her mum's just brought her a dog 'instead' but I thought, well, at least its 'something positive.

But guess what, she brought her one that doesn't need a walk, cos she doesn't like walking! :bangs head against the wall smiley:

I think you'll be on your own with that one, Martin!
    Am I? The quote was with reference to larger clothes and more fabric, so you should pay more, or should thin people subsidise larger people?

I would put myself in the "more fabric" catogory. I would like to pay my own way in life... I always have.

So I for one, would be happy to pay a bit more, if it means more fabric needs to be used to generate a garment.

Thread Information